Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[MXroute] Spring Promo - $15/year - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[MXroute] Spring Promo - $15/year

Comments

• is this "just" and email service? Being that it's a new service, I have to pay $15.00 to see if I like it? granted it's a great price, I think, and having no chance to try it out for a month, it's kind of a waste of money. Don't get me wrong, this is a great provider.
    Good luck!

Thanked by 1jar
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited March 2023

@melp57 said:
    is this "just" and email service? Being that it's a new service, I have to pay $15.00 to see if I like it? granted it's a great price, I think, and having no chance to try it out for a month, it's kind of a waste of money. Don't get me wrong, this is a great provider.
    Good luck!

Yup. It’s more financially beneficial in every aspect for me to lose sales from people that want to try it for less or free, than it is for me to offer them a way to try it for less or free. Happy to elaborate on that but yeah, those were indeed my findings.

The best thing any of us can do is to adapt more to reality than perception.

• adlyadly Veteran

@melp57 said:
    is this "just" and email service? Being that it's a new service, I have to pay $15.00 to see if I like it? granted it's a great price, I think, and having no chance to try it out for a month, it's kind of a waste of money. Don't get me wrong, this is a great provider.
    Good luck!

I feel like stating “just an email service” is completely underestimating both email hosting in general and MXroute in particular. :neutral:

And nope, it isn’t a new service - @jar runs a tight ship and has for some time. You’re not going to find a comparable service for anywhere near $15/year.

• @jar said:

@melp57 said:
    Good luck!

Yup. It’s more financially beneficial in every aspect for me to lose sales from people that want to try it for less or free, than it is for me to offer them a way to try it for less or free. Happy to elaborate on that but yeah, those were indeed my findings.

The best thing any of us can do is to adapt more to reality than perception.

Thanks for the fine point. Fantastic company to do business with.

Thanked by 1jar
  • emghemgh Member

@jar said:

@gshapiro said:
    Silly question: What is the hostname entered on the signup used for? Is it the first e-mail domain to use with the service or is it just a unique identifier to use to identify the account?

DirectAdmin requires an initial domain to create an account. It can be fake but if so, make it really fake (ex. placeholderdomain123.pw).

That's my domain ;(

Thanked by 2adly jar
  • emghemgh Member
    edited March 2023

@melp57 said: I have to pay $15.00 to see if I like it?

@melp57 said: Fantastic company to do business with.

dude gathered a year's worth of experience with mxroute in 15 minutes

i wonder if jar keeps the stronger drugs for the clients

@emgh said: i wonder if jar keeps the stronger drugs for the clients

Save the acid for migration days (that's a joke, never do migrations on acid).

Thanked by 1emgh
  • Don_KeedicDon_Keedic Member
    edited March 2023

@melp57 said:
    Good luck!

Well I mean, through my contractor, my contractor pays $9/mo for my account at Fastmail. Fastmail is amazing and I haven't seen anything with MXRoute that would suggest they're any different as far as deliverability and reputation go.

Fastmail
    1 Email Address
    1 Domain
    30GB Storage
    $60/Year (Payable in 3/6/12 MO Increments)

MXRoute
    25GB Storage
    Unlimited Domains
    Unlimited Email Accounts
    $15/yr (Annually)

So just to "try" a comparable Fastmail account, you're paying $15 due to having to pay 3 months at a time. So would you rather pay that $15 (4) times a year or pay MXRoute $15 and be set for the year?

I'd understand your hesitation if they were a relatively new company but he's been around the block for awhile now. You'd be hard pressed to find anyone that has anything bad to say about MXRoute outside of the spammers/abusers.

In any event it's all about use case. If you are a administrator or have a bunch of websites with email, having this as a backup to whatever your main setup is, is worth it alone. If you're someone who doesn't have multiple domains or need multiple email addresses, you can use it as "just" email and that breaks down to $1.25/month for managed email hosting. That's a bargain no matter which way you look at it.

Thanked by 3jar melp57 omeongth

@Don_Keedic said: I haven't seen anything with MXRoute that would suggest they're any different as far as deliverability and reputation go

Not to downplay Fastmail as they do a lot of great things, but we do own our own IP space and if any outbound email is rejected due to IP reputation we retry from different IPs, then push to mail.baby as a last resort. I would submit that our IP reputation and deliverability is better as a result.

• @jar said:

@Don_Keedic said: I haven't seen anything with MXRoute that would suggest they're any different as far as deliverability and reputation go

Not to downplay Fastmail as they do a lot of great things, but we do own our own IP space and if any outbound email is rejected due to IP reputation we retry from different IPs, then push to mail.baby as a last resort. I would submit that our IP reputation and deliverability is better as a result.

So there you go! It's even better than I made it out to be haha. I've never had issues with either and that's why I appreciate MXRoute so much more. Great quality service and it costs 1/4 of what Fastmail does.. that's a no brainer for me.

Thanked by 1jar
  • jamzjamz Member

Going to pick this up for hobby domains that don't need all the bells and whistles of Fastmail.

Thanked by 1jar
  • Can this service be used for SMTP relay which would be used with nextcloud etc...

Thanked by 1jar

@melp57 said:
    Can this service be used for SMTP relay which would be used with nextcloud etc...

Sure can

Thanked by 1melp57
  • jcolidelesjcolideles Member
    edited March 2023

@melp57 said:
    Can this service be used for SMTP relay which would be used with nextcloud etc...

Edit: jar already replied

• @jar said:

@melp57 said:

Sure can

I'm in for sure 😃

Thanked by 1jar
  • Don_KeedicDon_Keedic Member
    edited March 2023

@jamz said:
    Going to pick this up for hobby domains that don't need all the bells and whistles of Fastmail.

You'll be happy with it. Jar seems to have the docs squared away pretty well - https://mxroutedocs.com/ - I use it for password resets, notifications, spam catching and keeping personal email separate from work stuff.

@melp57 said:

@jar said:

@melp57 said:

Sure can

I'm in for sure 😃

Once you login and get things set up, your only regret will be not signing up earlier.

Make sure set up your DNS records first according to the docs - https://mxroutedocs.com - and test propagation/SMTP with a tool like https://www.whatsmydns.net/ before you set your Nextcloud to use it as an SMTP server. That'll should save your the headache of narrowing down an MXRoute misconfiguration vs a Nextcloud or server issue.

Thanked by 2melp57 jar
  • jlet88jlet88 Member
    edited March 2023

@Don_Keedic said:
    So just to "try" a comparable Fastmail account...

These are different kinds of services.

MXRoute is great for its market niche, Fastmail is great for its market niche. They are both great services. They are not in the exact same market, except in the very broad definition of email services. They can even compliment each other in different ways. Yes, of course there is SOME overlap of what they can do, and the end result is that users can send/receive email and use some other features too (each one has a variety of cool other features from calendars to files to contacts, etc.)... but they are really geared towards different customers. Fastmail is not targeting LET users, and MXRoute is not targeting people or businesses willing to spend $36-$100+ per year PER USER.

Fastmail is much more of a consumer-facing non-technical (on the surface) email service that your tech-challenged uncle could sign up for by himself and use within 5 minutes. It's also targeting small businesses who are used to paying $60 per year per user for something like Google Workspace for businesses, but don't want to use Google Workspace any more (for a variety of reasons).

Fastmail has many user-facing quality-of-life features like its own custom smartphone app, snooze, scheduled send, masked email, lots of aliases that the end-user can set up himself on dozens of domains, custom swipes, and things like an email retention archive for business compliance, etc... and it features a custom webmail interface that has been developed for many years running on a custom infrastructure, with a team of developers constantly adding features. That's what you are paying for. I'm not saying that's better or worse than MXRoute. But that's why the price is higher.

MXRoute, on the other hand, is significantly more affordable and obviously doesn't have a big development team, so it offers great value by utilizing commonly-available (but still very good) third-party webmail apps, etc., and the system relies on a cleverly stripped-down optimized DirectAdmin, and so forth, and all of that is using MXRoute's highly-reliable bespoke delivery system, which is one of the reasons they are a noteworthy value in email hosting. MXRoute invested in a reliable delivery network, which is one of its stand-out features.

And over time, as Jar has mentioned, he's planning on adding a custom control panel, which will be really nice. Looking forward to that. But all the management/admin is currently done from the mindset of someone who is already familiar with administering shared web hosting services, in terms of setting up users and provisioning accounts. Fastmail deals with BOTH individual users directly PLUS admins. MXRoute deals primarily with admins of a larger account where YOU can provision your users, and YOUR users are NOT directly contacting Jar for support... YOU deal with the individual users. That's a big difference, and reflected in the pricing too.

That all doesn't mean either one is BETTER, it just means each might be more suited to different kinds of customers looking for different things. Hope that makes a little sense.

In terms of value, MXRoute is hands-down a tremendous value, and even more so with this kind of special offer.

• Having been fortunate enough to purchase lifetime service at a perfect price in 2020, MXRoute truly does "set it and forget it". Other than the overall server move recently experienced, I have experienced almost no service degradation or deliverability issues. Almost all of the emails that have had issues have been related to incorrect settings by the sender. He has done a really good job.

Thanked by 1jar
  • @jlet88 said:

@Don_Keedic said:
    So just to "try" a comparable Fastmail account...

These are different kinds of services.

MXRoute is great for its market niche, Fastmail is great for its market niche. They are both great services. They are not in the exact same market, except in the very broad definition of email services. They can even compliment each other in different ways. Yes, of course there is SOME overlap of what they can do, and the end result is that users can send/receive email and use some other features too (each one has a variety of cool other features from calendars to files to contacts, etc.)... but they are really geared towards different customers. Fastmail is not targeting LET users, and MXRoute is not targeting people or businesses willing to spend $36-$100+ per year PER USER.

Fastmail is much more of a consumer-facing non-technical (on the surface) email service that your tech-challenged uncle could sign up for by himself and use within 5 minutes. It's also targeting small businesses who are used to paying $60 per year per user for something like Google Workspace for businesses, but don't want to use Google Workspace any more (for a variety of reasons).

Fastmail has many user-facing quality-of-life features like its own custom smartphone app, snooze, scheduled send, masked email, lots of aliases that the end-user can set up himself on dozens of domains, custom swipes, and things like an email retention archive for business compliance, etc... and it features a custom webmail interface that has been developed for many years running on a custom infrastructure, with a team of developers constantly adding features. That's what you are paying for. I'm not saying that's better or worse than MXRoute. But that's why the price is higher.

MXRoute, on the other hand, is significantly more affordable and obviously doesn't have a big development team, so it offers great value by utilizing commonly-available (but still very good) third-party webmail apps, etc., and the system relies on a cleverly stripped-down optimized DirectAdmin, and so forth, and all of that is using MXRoute's highly-reliable bespoke delivery system, which is one of the reasons they are a noteworthy value in email hosting. MXRoute invested in a reliable delivery network, which is one of its stand-out features.

And over time, as Jar has mentioned, he's planning on adding a custom control panel, which will be really nice. Looking forward to that. But all the management/admin is currently done from the mindset of someone who is already familiar with administering shared web hosting services, in terms of setting up users and provisioning accounts. Fastmail deals with BOTH individual users directly PLUS admins. MXRoute deals primarily with admins of a larger account where YOU can provision your users, and YOUR users are NOT directly contacting Jar for support... YOU deal with the individual users. That's a big difference, and reflected in the pricing too.

That all doesn't mean either one is BETTER, it just means each might be more suited to different kinds of customers looking for different things. Hope that makes a little sense.

In terms of value, MXRoute is hands-down a tremendous value, and even more so with this kind of special offer.

Oh don't get me wrong, I know what's up. It was the other guy asking whether or not it was "just an email service" - I was saying the use case for someone who used fastmail ("just an email service") vs MXRoute are likely two different types of clients. One looking for something to pay and use immediately and the other would be someone more tech minded who needs something for multiple domains/users. The docs make everything trivial anyways, so you don't even really have to be all that technologically inclined to reap the benefits between the two but again, some people need the picture book instead of the chapter book but if you can go with the chapter book, you'll have far flexibility to "use" email more completely.

Thanked by 2jar omeongth
  • @Don_Keedic said:
    Oh don't get me wrong, I know what's up.

No problem. Yeah, I went a bit long-winded there, but it's common that many people don't understand the differences enough and they THINK they are comparing apples to apples, but in reality, it's apples to oranges. Fastmail and MXRoute are DEFINITELY apples to oranges. They are both fruit though! B)

Now which one is an apple, and which one is an orange, is not for me to say. Jar might be able to answer that one. I happen to like both apples and oranges though.

Thanked by 2jar maverickp
  • I bought one, I don't know why...but it did

Thanked by 1jar
  • @jar

• Have been trying to get our IP white-listed.
    • Saw this thread.
    • Boom *
    • Our emails got straight to customer inboxes.
      Solid 5/7
      The interface need getting used to, but refreshed this morning and it changed for the better in a few places.
    Thanked by 1jar
  • This offer is amazing. I was using MXRoute but migrated to Hetzner just to keep my Hetzner account active (lots of people get rejected these days when creating new accouns and I didn't want to risk mine getting closed due to inactivity).

But this offer is too good to pass on so I will migrate back.

Thanked by 1jar
    edited March 2023

Hear it from me first, because honesty and transparency are the qualities I refuse to drop.

During the migration of the Eagle server I caused partial data loss for a customer. I had creatively symlinked parts of their home directory due to high disk usage, something I’ve never done for anyone else. I didn’t take notes on it either. When I found the extra data in another partition I deleted it as duplicate/excess. I didn’t know until the backup had already been replaced that I had caused data loss for the user.

I feel like shit. I tried to explain this. I offered enough credit to cover several years of service. I refunded their last invoice.

I ended up terminating the user for choosing to berate me via ticket and continue to demand the restoration of data I don’t have.

I hate the idea of brushing such failures off of my shoulders and moving on, but my list of other options looks pretty small. Maybe in another life I’d hang myself with an apology taped to my chest but I don’t really see that solving much anyway. I doubt it’ll be the last mistake I make, but by standardizing my solutions and refusing to craft custom ones as one-off solutions I’ll hopefully not make a mistake of this type again. When you work at scale and try to manage a fleet of servers with minimal staffing, one-off custom solutions that require your memory or note can be a liability, and that’s something I’d want others to learn from my experience.

• edited March 2023

We're offering a Spring promo:

25GB Storage
    Unlimited Domains
    Unlimited Email Accounts
    $15/year
    Order here

Like the Black Friday 2020 package, I bought and still using. Great deals.

Thanked by 1jar
  • bikramabikrama Member
    edited March 2023

@jar can we disable Spamfilter for incoming mails to our inbox?

Thanked by 1jar

@bikrama said:
    @jar can we disable Spamfilter for our inbox?

You can set it to a high score but you can’t disable it entirely.

https://mxroutedocs.com/directadmin/spamfilters/

https://mxroutedocs.com/presales/nospamfilter/

• Thank you @jar that good for us, We are going to buy the service now. We were having webmail on Office 365 and many of mails go missing, Clients says they sent mail but i never receive them and i suspect its due to spam filters.

Thanked by 1jar
  • melp57melp57 Member
    edited March 2023

When I add a domain to use for email. Does the system pretty much setup the required DNS records, then I just have to go to my domain register and change to mxroute NS records?

@melp57 said:
    When I add a domain to use for email. Does the system pretty much setup the required DNS records, then I just have to go to my domain register and change to mxroute NS records?

Nope you need to read the Important Account Information email. If fit any reason you don’t have it, grab a copy here: https://accounts.mxroute.com/index.php?/clientarea/emails/

Pretty much nothing makes sense without it, but everything is much easier with it. It’s basically a bridge over a bad UX, in an email.

Thanked by 2adly scooke