Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[MXroute] Spring Promo - $15/year - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[MXroute] Spring Promo - $15/year

Comments

• @jar said:

@DeadlyChemist said:
    might actually get it, but im always skeptical regarding privacy (cuz email)
    selfhost or not to selfhost...

The techniques used to keep the data private are generally on par with the best of shared hosting providers. However, I have more checks for threats and I do log audits in a way that doesn’t increase my workload as the fleet increases, which I believe to be above and beyond what any shared hosting provider is doing. So you’d put me well under the old Lavabit but well above GoDaddy. Not trying to go so hard that law enforcement has to torture the keys out of me, but I’m also not going to lazily let someone take over your email without noticing. I hope that paints a fair picture of data safety, if not too honest.

yeah, 100% honest
    like, there is only so much you can do
    im just really sceptical :/ nothing todo with you tbh

Thanked by 2jar pbx
  • edited April 2023

The spam folder is a bit confusing (and INBOX.spam is annoying whenever IMAP folders are listed (in Outlook/Thunderbird/Crossbox/Roundcube, it stands out since it's inside the INBOX folder and begins with a small "s" (INBOX.spam). Triggers me so much lol)).

I found a response in the MXroute community website that it's INBOX.spam. However, at least for newly-created accounts, a Junk folder is created. This shows up on Roundcube and Crossbox (mail.mxlogin.com).

In Crossbox, when Enable spam detection is checked, the anti-spam service is supposed to learn what we consider spam based on messages in the Junk folder. Crossbox also seems to treat the Junk folder as the spam folder, as it gives it a special icon while INBOX.spam only gets a generic folder icon, which leads me to assume that it doesn't use INBOX.spam.

Is Crossbox actually referring to INBOX.spam or Junk? What is the correct spam folder?

Thanked by 1jar
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited April 2023

@definitelyliam said:
    The spam folder is a bit confusing (and INBOX.spam is annoying whenever IMAP folders are listed (in Outlook/Thunderbird/Crossbox/Roundcube, it stands out since it's inside the INBOX folder and begins with a small "s" (INBOX.spam). Triggers me so much lol)).

I found a response in the MXroute community website that it's INBOX.spam. However, at least for newly-created accounts, a Junk folder is created. This shows up on Roundcube and Crossbox (mail.mxlogin.com).

In Crossbox, when Enable spam detection is checked, the anti-spam service is supposed to learn what we consider spam based on messages in the Junk folder. Crossbox also seems to treat the Junk folder as the spam folder, as it gives it a special icon while INBOX.spam only gets a generic folder icon, which leads me to assume that it doesn't use INBOX.spam.

Is Crossbox actually referring to INBOX.spam or Junk? What is the correct spam folder?

Yes, every email client has it's own default preference for IMAP spam folder location, and few of them agree on it. This rings just as true for webmail clients I'm afraid. All of them can be remapped in their settings though.

Crossbox filtering does it's own thing entirely, it's own rspamd installation. So just know that if you use it you'll be filtering twice. I can't say much about what it does otherwise, I don't use it myself.

I never really have to think about it much. I barely ever get email in a spam folder. It's usually either rejected or inboxed. Either it scores really high or really low. Customers I've talked to seem to often experience the same.

Thanked by 1definitelyliam
  • @jar said:

@vitobotta said: One guy was more interested in the LifeTime deal but was put off somehow by the multiple checkboxes on this form

Yeah, though you'd be surprised how many tickets that cut down on. The amount of people who want to blow past that email are unusually high, and then they want me to explain to them one by one everything that's in that email via individual support tickets. It's rather maddening :joy:

I'm one of those, but only because it's very confusing when mxroute has a DNS section that is full of mx records and such. Which I'm use to having DM populate records as all other normal setups do. Once you told me to ignore everything there it was a breeze. I have experience with populating DNS records so it confused me.
    I'm grateful for your guidance and patience with those of us that don't know how your system differs from others.

Thanked by 1jar

@melp57 said:

@jar said:

@vitobotta said: One guy was more interested in the LifeTime deal but was put off somehow by the multiple checkboxes on this form

Yeah, though you'd be surprised how many tickets that cut down on. The amount of people who want to blow past that email are unusually high, and then they want me to explain to them one by one everything that's in that email via individual support tickets. It's rather maddening :joy:

I'm one of those, but only because it's very confusing when mxroute has a DNS section that is full of mx records and such. Which I'm use to having DM populate records as all other normal setups do. Once you told me to ignore everything there it was a breeze. I have experience with populating DNS records so it confused me.
    I'm grateful for your guidance and patience with those of us that don't know how your system differs from others.

Once I get the new control panel finished it'll make a lot more sense at least. My budget has been "I have to learn to do it myself" and it's taken me longer than most since I wear so many hats 😂

Thanked by 1itsgoingdown
  • @jar said:

@melp57 said:

@jar said:

Once I get the new control panel finished it'll make a lot more sense at least. My budget has been "I have to learn to do it myself" and it's taken me longer than most since I wear so many hats 😂

Fantastic!

Thanked by 1jar
  • Hi @Jard Those customers who paid 45$ for two years during Black Friday, why not just upgrade them to 3-year package? It won't be that hard for your end to do it. This way, it will be fair, and we don't have to move anything manually.

Thanked by 1jar
  • @xenstar said:
    Hi @Jard Those customers who paid 45$ for two years during Black Friday, why not just upgrade them to 3-year package? It won't be that hard for your end to do it. This way, it will be fair, and we don't have to move anything manually.

Why would he want to make less money? I paid more for my plan and you don't see me complaining about it. This is a business after all.

Thanked by 2jar adly
    edited April 2023

@xenstar said:
    Hi @Jard Those customers who paid 45$ for two years during Black Friday, why not just upgrade them to 3-year package? It won't be that hard for your end to do it. This way, it will be fair, and we don't have to move anything manually.

My position is that any amount of effort on our side to help customers reduce their spending with us (besides basic package downgrades of course) is a bad and unsustainable business practice.

It may sound a bit cold but there are plenty of times where I’m much warmer, I even bought a customer a laptop the other day because they really needed one. The more money I make, the more I get to pour back into my customers. ❤️

• Some people might think @Jar is a cold mean person, but let me share a story i had with him, back then i reached out to @jar cause my community forum needed some kind of way to send periodic burst of 6000 summary emails per week on a specific time, he checked my website and showed me the way to bypass the 300 per hour limit or he removed the limit for me.

Fast forward a year or two, i think @jar forgot all about it and the chat software we used was removed, chat.mxroute or something so i can't prove we had that discussion, opened a ticket regarding the limit being in place again, at first things were heated with jar saying that i broke the terms, i didn't act out like some of his other customers did & slowly trying to make him remember our conversation on the chat, he remembered after a brief back and forth & we both agreed that my forum community summary emails are better suited for those larger transactional email providers. He turns into a softie once he remembers me.

My point of bringing out this story is to tell people that @jar is already providing a service that is cheap & he handles thousands of customers at once, he doesn't need your business if you are an ass & he definitely can't remember every single one of his customers cause there are too many. God bless the man for providing us all a simple & cost effective solution.

Thanked by 1jar
  • @fluffernutter said: ... you don't see me complaining about it.

I am not complaining at all. This was just a humble suggestion, as he allowed old customers to get this offer as well.

Thanked by 1jar
  • @xenstar said:

@fluffernutter said: ... you don't see me complaining about it.

I am not complaining at all. This was just a humble suggestion, as he allowed old customers to get this offer as well.

Think of it this way, if you want it, many other people who bought the same plan or higher as you want it, will be non stop requests for the same once people learn that you got something special, by then there will be a dip in revenue for simply making an exception for someone, he already is risking much with this cheaper plan, either make the migration or just let it go man. Its not cost effective for jar to make an exception to your humble request.

Thanked by 1jar
  • My position is that any amount of effort on our side to help customers reduce their spending with us (besides basic package downgrades of course) is a bad and unsustainable business practice.

I have been using MXroute for the past few months and am delighted with the service. I wouldn't have made this request if the offer had been exclusive to new customers. However, since you mentioned that existing customers could also avail the discounted price by manually moving their data and canceling their current plan, I thought it would be appropriate to suggest an alternative solution.

In most SaaS business models, when there is a price change, all customers generally receive the same benefits, as the server, technology, and software are identical for everyone.

I am unclear about the process of transitioning to the new pricing. If we move our data to the new server and cancel our current plan, will the remaining amount be prorated and credited to our MXroute account? Or do we need to abandon our current plan and pay for the new package separately? I'm content with the $45 for two years if it's the latter. :D

Regardless, I appreciate your affordable pricing and excellent service, so the decision is yours. I hope my suggestion can be considered a viable option for the business and customers who have already paid the higher price.

Thanked by 1jar
  • angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited April 2023

@xenstar said:

My position is that any amount of effort on our side to help customers reduce their spending with us (besides basic package downgrades of course) is a bad and unsustainable business practice.

I have been using MXroute for the past few months and am delighted with the service. I wouldn't have made this request if the offer had been exclusive to new customers. However, since you mentioned that existing customers could also avail the discounted price by manually moving their data and canceling their current plan, I thought it would be appropriate to suggest an alternative solution.

In most SaaS business models, when there is a price change, all customers generally receive the same benefits, as the server, technology, and software are identical for everyone.

This has been raked over discussed here numerous times in the past

In the low-end market, the business model tends to be different

In the business model that you allude to, there aren't (for the most part) recurring discounts. If MXroute followed this business model, then you probably wouldn't have your current deal as a recurring deal to begin with

Thanked by 3jar adly omeongth
    edited April 2023

@Thundas said: at first things were heated with jar saying that i broke the terms

Sorry about that. I've been struggling for quite a long time with a negative case of empathy. No one likes to think about how being empathetic can also mean taking on people's anger and frustration, then combine that with a frustrating factor of emotions being long lived (meaning once I feel a certain way, it can take an hour or two for me to shake it off) and having a shorter fuse than I wish I had.

With the way people have been acting since early 2020 (feels like almost everyone is always angrier on average than they were the year before) I've really had to confront these personality flaws. I feel like my success rate is climbing.

Thanked by 3Thundas adly omeongth

@xenstar said: If we move our data to the new server and cancel our current plan, will the remaining amount be prorated and credited to our MXroute account? Or do we need to abandon our current plan and pay for the new package separately?

The latter is correct. You'd just cancel the plan you migrated from when you were done with it, and there wouldn't be a refund or anything like that. Truthfully I have customers that hop promos a lot. They'll just move from one to the other, and they honestly never save a penny because they jump to the next one long before their current one runs out. It's actually become such a predictable, if odd, tradition that I've been able to loosely factor it into my revenue strategy. They're happy, new customers are happy, I get more money to spend on the company, works out pretty nicely.

Thanked by 4tototo nick_ xenstar bdl
  • @jar said:

@Thundas said: at first things were heated with jar saying that i broke the terms

Sorry about that. I've been struggling for quite a long time with a negative case of empathy. No one likes to think about how being empathetic can also mean taking on people's anger and frustration, then combine that with a frustrating factor of emotions being long lived (meaning once I feel a certain way, it can take an hour or two for me to shake it off) and having a shorter fuse than I wish I had.

With the way people have been acting since early 2020 (feels like almost everyone is always angrier on average than they were the year before) I've really had to confront these personality flaws. I feel like my success rate is climbing.

It's all good man, at first i panicked during that ticket exchange thinking you were going to boot me out, i remembered that you had a nice & kind side in you during our exchange in the old chat & just tried to make you remember our discussion, been using your service all these years for business email works great & was easy for our coders to come up with a solution to use ses for summary emails after yours was no longer an option. Totally understood your initial response as i get that running a business such as yours can frustrate even the peace-loving man, people trying to bypass your limits, etc.

Actually, now that I remember it correctly, you found my emails to be bypassing your limits somehow, and you put a stop to that when in the first place you showed me the solution to bypass it, so the initial response was warranted cause you did not remember.

Thanked by 1jar
  • PandoGulfPandoGulf Veteran
    edited April 2023

Hey @jar if you ever going to do a better offer in future, just do it now so I can pick it up, too.
    You're service is getting better and your prices are getting better !

How can you make this possible !
    Are you an AI ?
    Aha, I figured it out ! jar is an AI.

Thanked by 1jar
  • @jar said: The latter is correct.

Alright, I got it. Now it's clear. Thank you. I hope when I renew after two years, there is this offer or a better offer :p I wish all the success to MXRoute.

But I think as your service improves, you need to make a strategy for the future, where all your customers will equally benefit in terms of price and service. (still just a suggestion). Think of it from a customer perspective.

Thanked by 1jar
  • angstromangstrom Moderator

@xenstar said: But I think as your service improves, you need to make a strategy for the future, where all your customers will equally benefit in terms of price and service. (still just a suggestion). Think of it from a customer perspective.

Among low-end providers, BuyVM follow the business model that you seem to like. No discounts, everyone pays the same price (for the same package), if the price goes up, everyone pays more, and if the price goes down (unlikely), everyone pays less

If this is what you want, then there are a number of email providers who follow this business model

But perhaps you want something else: "I never want to pay more, but if there's a new (different) package with a discount, I want to benefit nevertheless." Right

(As I said, this is an old topic here, raked over numerous times)

• @angstrom said: > (As I said, this is an old topic here, raked over numerous times)

Well, it was for Jar. Everyone has different opinions and financial situations. It's essential for us all to have the opportunity to express our viewpoints. If my suggestion doesn't resonate with you, that's okay - we can agree to disagree and continue to engage in a constructive discussion.

With a diverse customer base like MXroute's, some people are expected to agree with my viewpoint, while others might lean more towards yours. Ultimately, the company will make the final decision. And not all of the customers have time to come to lowendtalk to comment aswell.

If you're comfortable with your current payment, that's great - we each have the freedom to choose what works best for us.

Thanked by 1jar
  • Thanks i've used mxroute in the past and have always been a happy costumer. I'm going to grab this deal!

Thanked by 1jar
  • always meant to get one for myself after recommending friends. Thanks for the offer.

Thanked by 1jar
  • I can't login any of my emails because it shows error "Server license expired". Opened support ticket but no reply yet.

Thanked by 1jar
    edited April 2023

@yordanssss said:
    I can't login any of my emails because it shows error "Server license expired". Opened support ticket but no reply yet.

Crossbox on Redbull? I ran:

crossbox config set -k public_ip_address -s 45.43.208.33
    crossbox license check -f

So it should be working but I'll do it again. It's hard for me to test since Crossbox can work fine on one server and not on another, uses the same inbound path either way, and requires MX records if a domain exists on more than one server.

Btw, plenty of other email clients you can use in a pinch. Your own email clients in addition to webmails like:

https://redbull.mxrouting.net/webmail

https://redbull.mxrouting.net/afterlogic

I generally don't consider issues with one webmail client to be a full service outage, and it may be helpful to know that.

As of today, the authentication system for the SMTP relay product I've wanted to release for a few years, is done. There were always ways that I could accomplish it with ease, but none of them were what I wanted. I've settled on the solution I want. Now I can start preparing a frontend for it.

• Well, that's great!

Thanked by 1jar
  • @jar said:
    As of today, the authentication system for the SMTP relay product I've wanted to release for a few years, is done. There were always ways that I could accomplish it with ease, but none of them were what I wanted. I've settled on the solution I want. Now I can start preparing a frontend for it.

I thought we were already able to use as relay. I've never been able to get it to work. I tried to use for nextcloud.

Thanked by 1jar

@melp57 said:

@jar said:

I thought we were already able to use as relay. I've never been able to get it to work. I tried to use for nextcloud.

You always can/could. The only difference between SMTP credentials you create in DirectAdmin and a marketed SMTP relay service is the way customers expect to see the front end, tutorials, logs, etc.

• omeongthomeongth Member
    edited April 2023

I'm using MXroute for transactional emails because my email hosting provider Tutanota doesn't provide any SMTP service. It works out-of-the-box with FluentSMTP WordPress plugin.

I just had to add SPF and DKIM to Cloudflare DNS and disable E-mail manager > Email Routing > Use this [MX] server to handle my e-mails in MXroute panel to allow sending transactional emails to myself too.

The hardest part in choosing MXroute was understanding that Mailgun, Sendgrid, Sendinblue, Mailjet, Postmark etc. they weren't what I needed although they were recommended by many in the admin communities in which I am.

The custom DirectAdmin interface is not the best on earth, but nothing is perfect and I getting used to it.

Hat off and long life to you, @jar.

Thanked by 2jar sebkehl