Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[MXroute] Spring Promo - $15/year - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[MXroute] Spring Promo - $15/year

Comments

• @jar said:

@melp57 said:
    When I add a domain to use for email. Does the system pretty much setup the required DNS records, then I just have to go to my domain register and change to mxroute NS records?

Nope you need to read the Important Account Information email. If fit any reason you don’t have it, grab a copy here: https://accounts.mxroute.com/index.php?/clientarea/emails/

Pretty much nothing makes sense without it, but everything is much easier with it. It’s basically a bridge over a bad UX, in an email.

Ok sorry to bother, but where are these records set, in the dns section of mxroute, which already appears to have mx records set, or do I set them up where my domain is hosted, which I have hestiacp Server panel setup for hosting and control of all my domains. It's just not clear because I have another shared hosting account which has DA and when you add a domain and create an email, DNS is set. I've had a mxroute account before without DA and never got email to work. Thanks for your help.

Thanked by 1jar
  • @melp57 said:

@jar said:

@melp57 said:
    When I add a domain to use for email. Does the system pretty much setup the required DNS records, then I just have to go to my domain register and change to mxroute NS records?

Nope you need to read the Important Account Information email. If fit any reason you don’t have it, grab a copy here: https://accounts.mxroute.com/index.php?/clientarea/emails/

Pretty much nothing makes sense without it, but everything is much easier with it. It’s basically a bridge over a bad UX, in an email.

Ok sorry to bother, but where are these records set, in the dns section of mxroute, which already appears to have mx records set, or do I set them up where my domain is hosted, which I have hestiacp Server panel setup for hosting and control of all my domains. It's just not clear because I have another shared hosting account which has DA and when you add a domain and create an email, DNS is set. I've had a mxroute account before without DA and never got email to work. Thanks for your help.

Also do I need to use your ns records? Because they are already listed in the DNS section of mxroute.

Thanked by 1jar
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@melp57 said:

@jar said:

@melp57 said:

The DNS section in DirectAdmin should be fully ignored for everything except the DKIM key. Everything else is wrong and useless. This is part of what I call a bad UX.

You’ll use your existing DNS services. I recommend Cloudflare or CloudNS.

Thanked by 2adly omeongth
  • @jar said:

@melp57 said:

@jar said:

@melp57 said:

The DNS section in DirectAdmin should be fully ignored for everything except the DKIM key. Everything else is wrong and useless. This is part of what I call a bad UX.

You’ll use your existing DNS services. I recommend Cloudflare or CloudNS.

Thanks, now making some sense.

Thanked by 1jar
  • might actually get it, but im always skeptical regarding privacy (cuz email)
    selfhost or not to selfhost...

Thanked by 2jar jlet88
    edited March 2023

@DeadlyChemist said:
    might actually get it, but im always skeptical regarding privacy (cuz email)

The techniques used to keep the data private are generally on par with the best of shared hosting providers. However, I have more checks for threats and I do log audits in a way that doesn’t increase my workload as the fleet increases, which I believe to be above and beyond what any shared hosting provider is doing. So you’d put me well under the old Lavabit but well above GoDaddy. Not trying to go so hard that law enforcement has to torture the keys out of me, but I’m also not going to lazily let someone take over your email without noticing. I hope that paints a fair picture of data safety, if not too honest.

Thanked by 3adly skorous jlet88
  • Finally an email service that Gmail does not reject. Thanks jar for your fantastic efforts on your service.

Thanked by 1jar
  • kendidkendid Veteran

Way back in the day (a few years ago) I only picked up an mxroute account because the deal was on black friday - and it was too good to be true!

Now, I've picked up a few accounts and use mxroute as my primary on some of my domains!

Thanks for such a great service, at really affordable prices!

Thanked by 1jar
  • @jar>; @jar said:

Hear it from me first, because honesty and transparency are the qualities I refuse to drop.

During the migration of the Eagle server I caused partial data loss for a customer. I had creatively symlinked parts of their home directory due to high disk usage, something I’ve never done for anyone else. I didn’t take notes on it either. When I found the extra data in another partition I deleted it as duplicate/excess. I didn’t know until the backup had already been replaced that I had caused data loss for the user.

I feel like shit. I tried to explain this. I offered enough credit to cover several years of service. I refunded their last invoice.

I ended up terminating the user for choosing to berate me via ticket and continue to demand the restoration of data I don’t have.

I hate the idea of brushing such failures off of my shoulders and moving on, but my list of other options looks pretty small. Maybe in another life I’d hang myself with an apology taped to my chest but I don’t really see that solving much anyway. I doubt it’ll be the last mistake I make, but by standardizing my solutions and refusing to craft custom ones as one-off solutions I’ll hopefully not make a mistake of this type again. When you work at scale and try to manage a fleet of servers with minimal staffing, one-off custom solutions that require your memory or note can be a liability, and that’s something I’d want others to learn from my experience.

Mistakes do happen. I am using your service for the last couple of years and it's rock solid. Never faced any issues.

As you already informed I can take backup of my emails via FTP but I am not very technical person. Is it possible to write a post in your documentation section so that users can follow it and take backup via FTP ?

Thanked by 1jar

@kathir said:
    @jar>; @jar said:

Hear it from me first, because honesty and transparency are the qualities I refuse to drop.

During the migration of the Eagle server I caused partial data loss for a customer. I had creatively symlinked parts of their home directory due to high disk usage, something I’ve never done for anyone else. I didn’t take notes on it either. When I found the extra data in another partition I deleted it as duplicate/excess. I didn’t know until the backup had already been replaced that I had caused data loss for the user.

I feel like shit. I tried to explain this. I offered enough credit to cover several years of service. I refunded their last invoice.

I ended up terminating the user for choosing to berate me via ticket and continue to demand the restoration of data I don’t have.

I hate the idea of brushing such failures off of my shoulders and moving on, but my list of other options looks pretty small. Maybe in another life I’d hang myself with an apology taped to my chest but I don’t really see that solving much anyway. I doubt it’ll be the last mistake I make, but by standardizing my solutions and refusing to craft custom ones as one-off solutions I’ll hopefully not make a mistake of this type again. When you work at scale and try to manage a fleet of servers with minimal staffing, one-off custom solutions that require your memory or note can be a liability, and that’s something I’d want others to learn from my experience.

Mistakes do happen. I am using your service for the last couple of years and it's rock solid. Never faced any issues.

As you already informed I can take backup of my emails via FTP but I am not very technical person. Is it possible to write a post in your documentation section so that users can follow it and take backup via FTP ?

It's possible, but truthfully the FTP method isn't something I'm really married to. I just left it enabled as DA installed it by default and I didn't consider it worth the effort of removing, then users started using it. But if I actually gave user backup a thought, I imagine I'd want to go a different direction.

Thanked by 1kathir
  • @jar said:

@kathir said:
    @jar>; @jar said:

It's possible, but truthfully the FTP method isn't something I'm really married to. I just left it enabled as DA installed it by default and I didn't consider it worth the effort of removing, then users started using it. But if I actually gave user backup a thought, I imagine I'd want to go a different direction.

It would be really helpful if you can provide a automated backup solution to a remote location of users choice by FTP, SFTP etc.

Thanked by 2jar user123
  • Perfect deal for me to switch over from my previous email hosting provider, sold!

Thanked by 1jar
  • I just got on this deal.
    How do i signup as a reseller?

• @icinger01 said:
    I just got on this deal.
    How do i signup as a reseller?

Those are separate plans, which are not covered by this offer.
    You can add your clients' domains to your account, but they will not have access to whitelabel email.

Thanked by 1icinger01
  • user123user123 Member
    edited March 2023

@kathir said:
    It would be really helpful if you can provide a automated backup solution to a remote location of users choice by FTP, SFTP etc.

Seconding this. Preferably as SFTP so that we can keep a backup in such a way that the data isn't transmitted in cleartext.

Edit: I would be remiss if I didn't mention I've been using @jar's services as my primary mail service for the past 7 years and it's been great.

Thanked by 1jar
  • @jar Love the imapsync feature! It's so much easier to import emails this way! :)

Thanked by 1jar

@vitobotta said:
    @jar Love the imapsync feature! It's so much easier to import emails this way! :)

I just ironically and unintentionally ran into your job there while doing a log audit on that server, looks like it's running well!

• @jar said:

@vitobotta said:
    @jar Love the imapsync feature! It's so much easier to import emails this way! :)

I just ironically and unintentionally ran into your job there while doing a log audit on that server, looks like it's running well!

LOL. I am migrating 3 accounts now, the smallest has finished already. imapsync is easy to use but it's so nice to have this in the UI :)

Thanked by 1jar
  • @jar said:

@DeadlyChemist said:
    might actually get it, but im always skeptical regarding privacy (cuz email)

The techniques used to keep the data private are generally on par with the best of shared hosting providers. However, I have more checks for threats and I do log audits in a way that doesn’t increase my workload as the fleet increases, which I believe to be above and beyond what any shared hosting provider is doing. So you’d put me well under the old Lavabit but well above GoDaddy. Not trying to go so hard that law enforcement has to torture the keys out of me, but I’m also not going to lazily let someone take over your email without noticing. I hope that paints a fair picture of data safety, if not too honest.

Get disk encryption on top of it please...

Thanked by 2jar jlet88
  • @jar I have advertised this offer in a few Slack/Discord communities I am member of but then thought that you might want to keep this to LET... I hope it's OK?

Thanked by 1jar

@vitobotta said:
    @jar I have advertised this offer in a few Slack/Discord communities I am member of but then thought that you might want to keep this to LET... I hope it's OK?

Perfectly find and I appreciate it!

• @jar said:

@vitobotta said:
    @jar I have advertised this offer in a few Slack/Discord communities I am member of but then thought that you might want to keep this to LET... I hope it's OK?

Perfectly find and I appreciate it!

One guy was more interested in the LifeTime deal but was put off somehow by the multiple checkboxes on this form

Thanked by 1jar

@vitobotta said: One guy was more interested in the LifeTime deal but was put off somehow by the multiple checkboxes on this form

Yeah, though you'd be surprised how many tickets that cut down on. The amount of people who want to blow past that email are unusually high, and then they want me to explain to them one by one everything that's in that email via individual support tickets. It's rather maddening :joy:

• @jar said:

@vitobotta said: One guy was more interested in the LifeTime deal but was put off somehow by the multiple checkboxes on this form

Yeah, though you'd be surprised how many tickets that cut down on. The amount of people who want to blow past that email are unusually high, and then they want me to explain to them one by one everything that's in that email via individual support tickets. It's rather maddening :joy:

I explained to him that the company has a great reputation on some communities like this one (I gave him the link) and that you do that to minimize support requests. I told him that in my opinion it's fair for these awesome prices.

Thanked by 1jar
  • $15 is the lowest annual price for an MXroute account that I have seen in a while. If the 25 GB storage limit is sufficient for your needs, I would not wait for a better offer.

Thanked by 1jar
  • Great offer, but still enough with older offer...

Thanked by 1jar
  • @jar arrow.mxrouting.net is down . ping not reachable and timeout on Outlook.

https://imgur.com/a/AWGSGdp

Need urgent invtervention .

@amsaal said:
    @jar arrow.mxrouting.net is down . ping not reachable and timeout on Outlook.

It's not down.

• @jar said:

@amsaal said:
    @jar arrow.mxrouting.net is down . ping not reachable and timeout on Outlook.

It's not down.

yes after i posted it was fixed. was down for sure earlier. but its okay now.

• The migration with the imapsync integration was smooth and took only a few hours. It couldn't have been easier :)

Thanked by 1jar