Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GreenCloud's Thread - News, Requests, Feedbacks and Chit-chat! - Page 12
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

GreenCloud's Thread - News, Requests, Feedbacks and Chit-chat!

Comments

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@NDTN said:
    We need your feedbacks on the dedicated CPU plans:

We are planning to offer dedicated CPU VPS with EPYC Milan - will likely use EPYC 7763.
    What specs would you like to have? RAM is not an issue, with 7763 we will have 64 cores 128 threads = 128 logical cores. Is something like 4GB RAM per thread/logical core OK?
    That said:
    Plan 1: 4GB RAM, 1 dedicated thread (50% of 1x physical core) EPYC Milan, 50GB NVMe 4.0 RAID-10, 10Gbps Network Port - price?
    Plan 2: 8GB RAM, 2 dedicated threads (1x physical core), EPYC Milan, 100GB NVMe 4.0 RAID-10, 10Gbps Network Port - price?
    Plan 3: 16GB RAM, 4 dedicated threads (2 physical cores), EPYC Milan, 200GB NVMe 4.0 RAID-10, 10Gbps Network Port - price?

I have comparable service in Amsterdam from ServerFactory.
    CPU is EPYC 7702, RAM and storage capacities are the same.
    Plan 1 costs €48 for two years.
    Plan 2 costs €84 for two years.
    This is pre-order price, not full price.

Thanked by 1NDTN
  • MumblyMumbly Member
    edited January 2023

@vitobotta

It's actually written in TOS.

Service Transfers:

GreenCloud does allow transferring services to other customers. It’s free of charge for the first and second transfer requests . Any additional transfer requests will cost $10/one-time fee. Each transfer request is counted per one VPS service.

Regarding transfer make sure that the other person have also greencloudvps account and then open support ticket to arrange service transfer to this other account.

Thanked by 1NDTN
  • @NDTN said: Plan 3: 16GB RAM, 4 dedicated threads (2 physical cores), EPYC Milan, 200GB NVMe 4.0 RAID-10, 10Gbps Network Port - price?

$15/m or $80 semi-annually or $150/y

• @NDTN any plans to venture into Australia?

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

Very short mini-review (based on a single benchmark run).

Processor is E5 v4 but performance is just about 20% to 25% above what I usually see on v2.
    Disk is OK but nothing to write home about.
    Network/connectivity however is among the best I ever saw, at least in my location (UK). It's really exceptional. Not @Hybula like but really great, especially for the low price.

And all that for just $15/yr or $40/3yrs!

Plus, their support is really great. No canned blabla, no long waiting but to the point and really quick.

The only serious drawback I see (in fact, a no-go for me personally) is that not only can one not upload (and then install from) ISOs but their fixed (it seems) assortment of available OS and ISOs only offers linux and mainly the "redhat" family (CentOS, Alma, Rocky, etc). Not being able to install BSD is a show-stopper for me, and I'm really saddened by that because GreenCloudVPS would otherwise be in my top-3 providers list.

TL;DR very good bang per buck, awesome network (at least in UK), helpful and really quick support (IMO absolutely premium), sadly linux only with a limited distro selection.

Private remark: @NDTN please, pretty please, add FreeBSD to your OS mix (or at least to your ISOs)! I'd really love to get some more of your VPSs and would happily accept that I'd need to install the OS myself from ISO.

Thanked by 3Hybula NDTN luissousa

@jsg said:
    The only serious drawback I see (in fact, a no-go for me personally) is that not only can one not upload (and then install from) ISOs but their fixed (it seems) assortment of available OS and ISOs only offers linux and mainly the "redhat" family (CentOS, Alma, Rocky, etc). Not being able to install BSD is a show-stopper for me, and I'm really saddened by that because GreenCloudVPS would otherwise be in my top-3 providers list.

Prior requests for netboot.xyz ISO were denied too.

• @yoursunny said:

@jsg said:

You can still use the netboot.xyz ISO by booting it via iPXE or using it with grub-imageboot. https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3556642/#Comment_3556642

• NDTNNDTN Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

@jsg said:
    Very short mini-review (based on a single benchmark run).

Processor is E5 v4 but performance is just about 20% to 25% above what I usually see on v2.
    Disk is OK but nothing to write home about.
    Network/connectivity however is among the best I ever saw, at least in my location (UK). It's really exceptional. Not @Hybula like but really great, especially for the low price.

And all that for just $15/yr or $40/3yrs!

Plus, their support is really great. No canned blabla, no long waiting but to the point and really quick.

TL;DR very good bang per buck, awesome network (at least in UK), helpful and really quick support (IMO absolutely premium), sadly linux only with a limited distro selection.

Private remark: @NDTN please, pretty please, add FreeBSD to your OS mix (or at least to your ISOs)! I'd really love to get some more of your VPSs and would happily accept that I'd need to install the OS myself from ISO.

We will add the FreeBSD iso next week, this week we have a lot of things to do in the background (migrating our old servers from Dallas and Denver to the new racks, etc).

@gowrann said:
    @NDTN any plans to venture into Australia?

Not in the near future, we see low demands and high cost there.

Thanked by 2bdl jsg
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@NDTN said:
    We will add the FreeBSD iso next week, this week we have a lot of things to do in the background (migrating our old servers from Dallas and Denver to the new racks, etc).

So, sometimes soon a FreeBSD ISO will be available (in all locations, I presume)? WOW, you seem to indeed be a top-provider and to indeed react on customer feedback. Kudos and thank you very much. Me pleased and impressed.

@admins can I please get a "3 times thanks" button/link? (which I btw also occasionally liked to have for you)

Thanked by 1NDTN

@dev077 said:

@yoursunny said:

You can still use the netboot.xyz ISO by booting it via iPXE or using it with grub-imageboot. https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3556642/#Comment_3556642

I'm aware, but grub-imageboot cannot be used to repair a non-working system, so that it doesn't fully replace netboot.xyz ISO selectable in SolusVM.

• @NDTN greenclound is down?

• JabJabJabJab Member
    edited January 2023

@pixexid said: @NDTN greenclound is down?

Are you really asking provider with 30+ locations (plus few types of services in those locations) that greenclound (you can't even spell the name correctly) is down? Without any kind of details, description, anything? Do you expect some kind of answer here or what is the point?

Thanked by 3jsg NDTN nick_

@jsg said:

@NDTN said:

So, sometimes soon a FreeBSD ISO will be available (in all locations, I presume)? WOW, you seem to indeed be a top-provider and to indeed react on customer feedback. Kudos and thank you very much. Me pleased and impressed.

@admins can I please get a "3 times thanks" button/link? (which I btw also occasionally liked to have for you)

We are syncing the ISO to all locations, it might take 12-24 hours to complete.

@pixexid said:
    @NDTN greenclound is down?

There was a network outage in the new Dallas, TX due to an issue with a distribution line card, got it resolved in around 15-20 mins.

Thanked by 2jsg pixexid
  • ardaarda Member
    edited January 2023

Hello, I just received this e-mail from [email protected], and it's been a while since my last payment, so is this legit?

Dear valued customer,

Thank you for the invoice payment. However, we need to verify this new credit card as a payment method to keep our VPS platform fraud-free. To verify, please send us a copy of your credit card, which has your name and the credit card number. You can black out the first 6 digits of the credit card. We would appreciate your cooperation, you will have to do it only once for this credit card. Please respond to our email within 3 working days, otherwise we will have to suspend the service.
    We apologize for any inconveniences that may result from this process.

Thank you again for your cooperation,
    Your GreenCloud team.

If so, The issue is that I use a virtual card. I almost never use physical credit cards online, and as their nature they don't have a physical form.

Even so, even if this is legit, I personally don't feel comfortable with the current validation (like giving you a photo of my card).

Additionally, 3d secure 2nd step over visa/mastercard/amex should have validated my identity and legitimacy already (an sms/push notification to my banking app comes to phone for validation upon payment, and I input the 2nd step validation code). Maybe implementing a validaiton over 3d secure would be better if you'd ask me.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@arda said:
    Hello, I just received this e-mail from [email protected], and it's been a while since my last payment, so is this legit?

Dear valued customer,

Thank you for the invoice payment. However, we need to verify this new credit card as a payment method to keep our VPS platform fraud-free. To verify, please send us a copy of your credit card, which has your name and the credit card number. You can black out the first 6 digits of the credit card. We would appreciate your cooperation, you will have to do it only once for this credit card. Please respond to our email within 3 working days, otherwise we will have to suspend the service.

Your GreenCloud team.

If so, The issue is that I use a virtual card. I almost never use physical credit cards online, and as their nature they don't have a physical form.

Even so, even if this is legit, I personally don't feel comfortable with the current validation (like giving you a photo of my card).

Additionally, 3d secure 2nd step over visa/mastercard/amex should have validated my identity and legitimacy already (an sms/push notification to my banking app comes to phone for validation upon payment, and I input the 2nd step validation code). Maybe implementing a validaiton over 3d secure would be better if you'd ask me.

Uh, people sell verified credit cards and paypal accounts online.

• ardaarda Member
    edited January 2023

@Neoon said:

@arda said:

Dear valued customer,

Your GreenCloud team.

Uh, people sell verified credit cards and paypal accounts online.

Paypal is banned in my country due not paying taxes to the government and not storing customer data locally (government has a rule for this) since 2015.

Also regarding the verified stolen cards, that's the bank's stupidity not blocking them. Verified cards could be stolen anyways as you said, and providing a photo does not solve this. If I was evil I could have just sent a photo of the stolen and still active card, as your example.

As I mentioned, the 3d secure just solves this problem. I have to get a one time code every time I have to make any payment.

Not to mention my virtual card issue. There is no physical form of the card I provided.

edited January 2023

@arda said:
    As I mentioned, the 3d secure just solves this problem. I have to get a one time code every time I have to make any payment.

It doesn't, there are many exceptions to this.
    Paypal is one.

• ardaarda Member
    edited January 2023

@Neoon said:

@arda said:

It doesn't, there are many exceptions to this.
    Paypal is one.

Like, how? Purely talking on credit cards aspects? You get a 2fa code for validation. That's the whole point of 3d secure validation.

My payment method is credit card directly, not credit-card-over-paypal.

Paypal, although is a gateway for credit card, is not limited to credit cards for payment. Last time I checked (you know, banned for years in my country), there were additional methods like paypal balance, payment directly over bank etc. I believe the scenarios for Paypal and using credit cards directly over payment gateways are different. You also lean on Paypal for validation.

And what we talked so far does not solve this anyways:

Verified cards could be stolen anyways as you said, and providing a photo does not solve this. If I was evil I could have just sent a photo of the stolen and still active card, as your example.

Not to mention my name and account name match. Some other companies ask for an invoice named to me (like electricity bill etc.) for validation for similar cases.

If this is enforced then I should just delete my card and fall back to crypto payments. Would it solve this? @NDTN I'd appreciate your input on this.

edited January 2023

I am not getting into a discussion.
    The point was, they are getting sold verified ONLINE right now and the Provider has the right to verify his clients.

If you don't like it, then go somewhere else.
    Every single fucking security feature has its flaws, including 3D.

Like they sell your email account too, and some Credit Card companies, sending you the PIN via email for the transaction.

• ardaarda Member
    edited January 2023

How did you come to a conclusion that I don't like being verified?. It's quite the opposite actually. I like being verified, which personally feels me more secure where I resided. To keep the service stable as its current state, I'm all for verification. However, like you said the methods have flaws. Currently enforced method has as well. I don't like to repeat myself, but for the sake of example: You could verify a stolen card (which you brought up to me, I didn't know about this at all, and ultimately breaks the purpose of sending a credit card photo), and you cannot physically verify a virtual card (which is my real case). That's why I suggested alternatives, such as using 3d secure and bill statements. If I was a fraud I'd just take my business elsewhere.

If I was not happy with the service I wouldn't suggest them to my other friends. Vito, for example, who is quite active here, heard them from me, and he even created a thread how happy he was with the service.

There's nothing to discuss. I just shared my issue with the current method, and waiting for NDTN's response, that's it.

@arda said:

Dear valued customer,

Your GreenCloud team.

Could you please drop me a PM with your client email address? Our billing staff will go through all Paypal/Credit card payments manually every few days and will request additional verification if the new cards were added or changing from other payment methods. That helped us a lot to reduce the dispute/chargeback rates.

Thanked by 1arda
  • ardaarda Member
    edited January 2023

@NDTN said:

@arda said:

Dear valued customer,

Your GreenCloud team.

Could you please drop me a PM with your client email address? Our billing staff will go through all Paypal/Credit card payments manually every few days and will request additional verification if the new cards were added or changing from other payment methods. That helped us a lot to reduce the dispute/chargeback rates.

Hello, thanks for the interest! Of course, that makes a lot of sense actually! Just dispatched my info over DM :blush:

• I talked about suboptimal routing between Coventry and Manchester here before. Well, now, I'm seeing pings of 90-110ms from Coventry to Manchester. Pings from a server with you in Coventry to both servers with you and other providers in Manchester. May want to look into that.

• Yesterday I transferred the 3 VPS I had with GreenCloud and today I bought another one lol. I had migrated 3 apps to Heroku but it was $60/mo. I fit the 3 apps in a GreenCloud VPS that costs $25 per YEAR and there is even memory left for other apps lol. I seem unable to let go of self hosting completely :D But $25/year vs $60/month is a huge difference. I am using Dokku for these apps, so I get an experience similar to Heroku's with git-push based deploys. Dokku is awesome.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @Mumbly said:
    @vitobotta

It's actually written in TOS.

Service Transfers:

GreenCloud does allow transferring services to other customers. It’s free of charge for the first and second transfer requests . Any additional transfer requests will cost $10/one-time fee. Each transfer request is counted per one VPS service.

Regarding transfer make sure that the other person have also greencloudvps account and then open support ticket to arrange service transfer to this other account.

Sorry, I forgot to thank you about this :)

Thanked by 1Mumbly
  • JabJabJabJab Member
    edited January 2023

As a free bump:

Everything on schedule with TR in DE? Any more narrowed down ETA than "February"?
    Any pictures?! :-)

edited January 2023

@luissousa said:
    I talked about suboptimal routing between Coventry and Manchester here before. Well, now, I'm seeing pings of 90-110ms from Coventry to Manchester. Pings from a server with you in Coventry to both servers with you and other providers in Manchester. May want to look into that.

You mean between our Coventry and Manchester locations? We will take a look at that.

@JabJab said:
    As a free bump:

Everything on schedule with TR in DE? Any more narrowed down ETA than "February"?
    Any pictures?! :-)

Yes the bill has been paid, just waiting for the hardware vendor to ship our EPYC nodes, should be available in early Feb. Threadripper might take a few more weeks as we are still waiting for the new rack version of the new Ryzen 7950x servers.

Thanked by 1JabJab
  • stvnastvna Member
    edited January 2023

@NDTN Any updates on SG DC1?

@stvna said:
    @NDTN Any updates on SG DC1?

Just waiting for the uplink now, should be available in the next few days.

Thanked by 1stvna
  • ArkasArkas Moderator

@vitobotta said: Dokku is awesome.

Could you do a mini review on your experience with dokku in a new thread. It would be very interesting IMO.