Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GreenCloud's Thread - News, Requests, Feedbacks and Chit-chat! - Page 10
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

GreenCloud's Thread - News, Requests, Feedbacks and Chit-chat!

Comments

• @Mumbly said:

@vitobotta said: new servers with better cpus

Those usually go to the https://greencloudvps.com/billing/store/premium-kvm-sale section, no to the https://greencloudvps.com/billing/store/budget-kvm-sale section.

So there is no point with waiting until February then? Did I understand correctly what you are saying, that there will be no budget options with the new CPUs?

Thanked by 1noisycode
  • MumblyMumbly Member
    edited January 2023

@vitobotta said: Did I understand correctly what you are saying, that there will be no budget options with the new CPUs?

Only host can confirm that, but so far those "better CPUs" went to the premium kvm sale offer, not to the budget kvm line.

Both lines are great for a price imho. Especially if you get double RAM + bandwidth for triennial payments with premium kvm sale. One of the best deals at LET lately.

Thanked by 1NDTN
  • brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate

@NDTN said:

@brueggus said:
    Got a letter from German customs today that they have something for me to pick up (and pay the fees for :( )

I'm excited!

It's not to tax-free as it was sent as gift. Please drop me a PM if you need to pay anything, we will credit it back to your account balance.

Don't worry about the fees. I'm happy my shirt has arrived. :)

For those who are interested: I had to pay EUR 4.48 VAT + EUR 6 "service fee". What I've learnt today:

• There's no VAT for low-value gifts between private persons. B2C/B2B gifts are subject to VAT
    • This wouldn't have mattered anyway, since "gift" wasn't ticked on the customs declaration on my package. So they handled the shipment as "commercial goods" and estimated the value of the item
    • They add the shipping fees to the value of the item to calculate the VAT (which seems ridiculous to me)

German import regulations are just weird...

...just as weird as the amount of stamps on the package :D

Thanks for the gift! <3

Thanked by 4ariq01 NDTN dev077 ehab
  • I got my budget VPS in Frankfurt (I asked sales about the new CPUs but they confirmed they will only available with premium VPSes). Here's the YABS. I am now going to migrate the stuff I have on the Contabo VPS. Hope I don't see the same high CPU steal issues

# ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #
    #              Yet-Another-Bench-Script              #
    #                     v2022-12-29                    #
    # https://github.com/masonr/yet-another-bench-script #
    # ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #

Mon Jan  9 04:11:14 PM GMT 2023

Basic System Information:
    ---------------------------------
    Uptime     : 0 days, 0 hours, 5 minutes
    Processor  : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2698 v4 @ 2.20GHz
    CPU cores  : 4 @ 2199.984 MHz
    AES-NI     : ✔ Enabled
    VM-x/AMD-V : ✔ Enabled
    RAM        : 7.8 GiB
    Swap       : 4.0 GiB
    Disk       : 55.1 GiB
    Distro     : Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS
    Kernel     : 5.15.0-47-generic

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):
    Block Size | 4k            (IOPS) | 64k           (IOPS)
      ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ----
    Read       | 161.11 MB/s  (40.2k) | 639.64 MB/s   (9.9k)
    Write      | 161.54 MB/s  (40.3k) | 643.01 MB/s  (10.0k)
    Total      | 322.66 MB/s  (80.6k) | 1.28 GB/s    (20.0k)
               |                      |
    Block Size | 512k          (IOPS) | 1m            (IOPS)
      ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ----
    Read       | 713.79 MB/s   (1.3k) | 724.84 MB/s    (707)
    Write      | 751.72 MB/s   (1.4k) | 773.12 MB/s    (755)
    Total      | 1.46 GB/s     (2.8k) | 1.49 GB/s     (1.4k)

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv4):
    Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed      | Ping
    -----           | -----                     | ----            | ----            | ----
    Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 1.22 Gbits/sec  | 472 Mbits/sec   | 13.8 ms
    Scaleway        | Paris, FR (10G)           | 2.68 Gbits/sec  | 2.80 Gbits/sec  | 16.1 ms
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 1.28 Gbits/sec  | 714 Mbits/sec   | 88.4 ms

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv6):
    Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed      | Ping
    -----           | -----                     | ----            | ----            | ----
    Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 7.75 Gbits/sec  | 470 Mbits/sec   | 13.8 ms
    Scaleway        | Paris, FR (10G)           | busy            | 2.98 Gbits/sec  | 16.4 ms
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 1.63 Gbits/sec  | 2.15 Gbits/sec  | 87.3 ms

Geekbench 5 Benchmark Test:
    Test            | Value
                    |
    Single Core     | 719
    Multi Core      | 2668
    Full Test       | https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/19794562

YABS completed in 6 min 18 sec

Thanked by 1NDTN
  • How do I enable 2FA on the Solus control panel? I can't see it anywhere. Is it not available?

• NDTNNDTN Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

@vitobotta said:

@Mumbly said:

Those usually go to the https://greencloudvps.com/billing/store/premium-kvm-sale section, no to the https://greencloudvps.com/billing/store/budget-kvm-sale section.

So there is no point with waiting until February then? Did I understand correctly what you are saying, that there will be no budget options with the new CPUs?

The newer CPUs will be available for premium KVM plans only. With new Budget nodes, we are planning to build them with Xeon Gold and NVMe drives, but will be for new locations only now.

@vitobotta said:
    How do I enable 2FA on the Solus control panel? I can't see it anywhere. Is it not available?

SolusVM does not support 2FA yet, only available in Client Area (WHMCS).

Thanked by 1arda
  • the new Gold 63XX look promising.

• @NDTN said:

@vitobotta said:

@Mumbly said:

The newer CPUs will be available for premium KVM plans only. With new Budget nodes, we are planning to build them with Xeon Gold and NVMe drives, but will be for new locations only now.

@vitobotta said:
    How do I enable 2FA on the Solus control panel? I can't see it anywhere. Is it not available?

SolusVM does not support 2FA yet, only available in Client Area (WHMCS).

Thanks

Thanked by 1NDTN
  • @NDTN Do you have schedule/plan for new storage vps deals B)

• @cybertech said:
    the new Gold 63XX look promising.

Having dual FMA units seems great, but if any container starts executing AVX-512 instructions, I'm afraid the whole node may suffer from a lower frequency and 63xx sadly becomes a 61xx.

• Another good news.

"we would like to inform you that a new IPv6 subnet /64 has been assigned to the location Amsterdam, NL. It will be functioning along with the current subnet /112 for you to reconfigure your VPS with the new subnet /64, as the /112 subnet will be deactivated in a few weeks."

I like how they didn't just kill old subnet, like many hosts would do, but actually gave me time to set up everything and then remove old subnet by myself. /64 is up and running on my both AMS VPSes now. Just perfect!

Next great thing would be possibility of rDNS setup from the control panel (hint, hint) ;-)

Thanked by 1NDTN
  • now where's that /64 subnet for other locations :)

@somever said:
    @NDTN Do you have schedule/plan for new storage vps deals B)

We will have something in a few weeks.

@noisycode said:

@cybertech said:

Having dual FMA units seems great, but if any container starts executing AVX-512 instructions, I'm afraid the whole node may suffer from a lower frequency and 63xx sadly becomes a 61xx.

I'm afraid that for Budget plans it will be 61xx, it might be 2x 6148 or 2x 6154.

@foitin said:
    now where's that /64 subnet for other locations :)

We are gradually switching to /64 subnet for each VPS, first is NL, then other locations. It's not an issue now as we have been assigned at least a block of /48 IPv6 in RIPE, APNIC and ARIN.

• @NDTN said:
    I'm afraid that for Budget plans it will be 61xx, it might be 2x 6148 or 2x 6154.

6148 looks promising

@cybertech said:

@NDTN said:

6148 looks promising

I think 6154 will have better single core performance?
    https://browser.geekbench.com/search?utf8=✓&amp;q=6154
    https://browser.geekbench.com/search?utf8=✓&amp;q=6148

• cybertechcybertech Member
    edited January 2023

@NDTN said:

@cybertech said:

@NDTN said:

6148 looks promising

I think 6154 will have better single core performance?
    https://browser.geekbench.com/search?utf8=✓&amp;q=6154
    https://browser.geekbench.com/search?utf8=✓&amp;q=6148

yes but based on google search 6148 has more cores, better multicore performance , lower TDP

that aside, who wouldn't like a higher clock and single core power

Thanked by 1NDTN
  • My order has flagged, another kyc :(

• noisycodenoisycode Member
    edited January 2023

@NDTN said:

@noisycode said:

@cybertech said:

IMO, 6148 is better, for more cores, but please, please, please disable AVX-512, or the performance may go down by 15% in mixed workloads. I never liked Xeon Scalable Gold compared to EPYC 74xx, smaller cache, fewer cores, worse performance. I have tested my vector search engine (95% floating point ops, 5% integer ops) on 5128 (on more than 500 bare metals, without virtualization), and EPYC 740x (on more than 300 servers). I testes in single thread mode only, and here goes my result: for each query, it costs Gold 5128 about 23ms, while it costs EPYC 740x only about 14ms.

Discaimer: my test results here are for reference only.

P.s., Xeon Platinum rocks, thanks to the great large L3 Cache. I got a similar results with 8255c and epyc 740x.

Thanked by 2dev077 NDTN
  • is there a ryzen in frankfurt @NDTN

• It's been two days so far and the VPS is working just great. No CPU steal crap like with Contabo. It's actually impressive for a budget VPS at that price :)

Thanked by 2arda NDTN
  • @vitobotta said:
    It's been two days so far and the VPS is working just great. No CPU steal crap like with Contabo. It's actually impressive for a budget VPS at that price :)

Been two months with Greencloud and my VPS is impressive and low price too. I no longer get periodic random reboots like I had with Racknerd every couple of weeks (followed by failures to restart...).

I'm paying $25/year for a 4 GB VPS which works flawlessly, I can't complain about anything, I'm just looking forward to renew when it expires.

Thanked by 2arda NDTN
  • @davide said:

@vitobotta said:
    It's been two days so far and the VPS is working just great. No CPU steal crap like with Contabo. It's actually impressive for a budget VPS at that price :)

Been two months with Greencloud and my VPS is impressive and low price too. I no longer get periodic random reboots like I had with Racknerd every couple of weeks (followed by failures to restart...).

I'm paying $25/year for a 4 GB VPS which works flawlessly, I can't complain about anything, I'm just looking forward to renew when it expires.

Awesome to hear. GreenCloud so far looks like an exception to the rule from what I am seeing, where the rule is "if it's cheap, it's crap" :D

Thanked by 2arda NDTN
  • I have 2 servers, one from NL, and another from DE, both working rock solid so far. Another quite happy customer here :blush:

Thanked by 1NDTN
  • At the moment I am testing Nextcloud 25 using an iDrive e2 bucket. Since both the bucket and the server are in Frankfurt the performance is quite nice

Thanked by 1NDTN
  • @vitobotta said:

time to revise contabo review

Thanked by 1NDTN
  • greencloudvps is the top Top Provider.

Thanked by 1NDTN
  • @NDTN Hi, would it be possible to get more storage on a budget VPS by paying some extra fee?

• You can believe Greencloudvps forever, I have 4 vps there

• @vitobotta said:
    @NDTN Hi, would it be possible to get more storage on a budget VPS by paying some extra fee?

I'm looking for this too :D