Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cloudflare $10 for 1 YubiKey. - Page 12
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cloudflare $10 for 1 YubiKey.

Comments

• if still avilable mean can i have coupen codes

Thank you advance

• drizbodrizbo Member
    edited November 2022

Just by the way; I applied for this promo at start of October and got the following message

Hello,

Thanks for your interest in the “Good for the Internet” pricing promotion for Yubico security keys, offered to Cloudflare customers in collaboration with Yubico. We’re reaching out with information about how to qualify for the offer as your account currently does not qualify.

Cloudflare users can take advantage of this offer as long as their account is active as follows:

The account has an active zone, or
        The account is actively using Cloudflare Zero Trust and
        The account has not exceeded the amount of Yubico security keys available as part of this offer.

If your account becomes active while the offer is open, you will receive an email from Yubico so that you can partake in the offer. We appreciate your understanding and support in helping improve Internet security. 

Now I bought a domain through Cloudflare and they sent me the code for 4x yubico keys few days after on their own; without me asking for it again.

And postage in EU was 5€ for the standard shipping.

• Got my 4 keys, thank you LET, Cloudflare and Yubico!

• emgemg Veteran

@emg said on 19 November 2022:
    I went to my Cloudflare account and clicked on the blue request button. Yubico has my Cloudflare email address. We will see what happens next.

I received a code from Yubico this morning (28 November) by email. The email says, "You are now eligible to purchase up to 4 individual YubiKey 5 NFC or YubiKey 5C NFC (minimum 2) starting as low as $10 USD."

I don't know what "starting as low as $10" means yet, such as "Does the $10 price apply to all four YubiKeys?" The coupon code is good until 31 December 2022.

• @emg said:

@emg said on 19 November 2022:
    I went to my Cloudflare account and clicked on the blue request button. Yubico has my Cloudflare email address. We will see what happens next.

I received a code from Yubico this morning (28 November) by email. The email says, "You are now eligible to purchase up to 4 individual YubiKey 5 NFC or YubiKey 5C NFC (minimum 2) starting as low as $10 USD."

I don't know what "starting as low as $10" means yet, such as "Does the $10 price apply to all four YubiKeys?" The coupon code is good until 31 December 2022.

per key approx $10

• Hello everybody,
    Does anybody still have keys left? Would be very thankful!

• emgemg Veteran

@MutenRoshi95 said:
    Hello everybody,
    Does anybody still have keys left? Would be very thankful!

I got into my Cloudflare account, clicked the blue button, and received a code from Yubico nine days later. I had created a free Cloudflare account a few months ago, so I could transfer my domains to them.

Have you considered signing up for a free account at Cloudflare to see if you can follow their process to obtain them? It can't hurt much to try.

• I’ve created a cloudflare account, yes. But I’m not that into network things, honestly 😅 I just have my 1.1.1.1 cloudflare app on my phone.
    I really don’t know how to do that exactly. They just say you need an active zone.

• I ordered 3 weeks ago and couple days ago I got an email its being delayed to mid January because of big number of orders.

• @MutenRoshi95 said:
    I really don’t know how to do that exactly. They just say you need an active zone.

Essentially you need to own [control] a domain name and configure Cloudflare to serve the DNS [Zone] for that domain.

I think by active, they expect to see lookups being made on their DNS for that domain, i.e. it's not just a parked and unused domain name.

If you don't own a domain then this route isn't an option for you.

• Applied weeks ago and got no reply. Do they still have the offer?

• Yes, they still have it. I’ve tried it last week and got an mail 2 days later that I am not qualified

• Got my Yubicos. Now what besides PayPal, Stripe, Cloudflare, goodle and amazon security? How easily implment yubico into SSH auth or smth?

• @LTniger said:
    Got my Yubicos. Now what besides PayPal, Stripe, Cloudflare, goodle and amazon security? How easily implment yubico into SSH auth or smth?

I actually tried that couple years ago. It wasn't straightforward then. Maybe things have changed. I'd love to hear from others who have experience more recently

• @LTniger said: How easily implment yubico into SSH auth or smth?

https://github.com/drduh/YubiKey-Guide
    Or when you use only SSH Server > 8.2 you can use FIDO2.

Thanked by 2plumberg arda
  • @Hotmarer said:

@LTniger said: How easily implment yubico into SSH auth or smth?

https://github.com/drduh/YubiKey-Guide
    Or when you use only SSH Server > 8.2 you can use FIDO2.

Depending on what your client platform is, using the OpenPGP module in the YubiKey for SSH (as above) is fine, if you already use and/or are familiar with GPG. Otherwise it's massive overkill, and a steep learning curve, especially on Windows. I can't argue with the sentiment in this gist, explaining how to use the PIV module on a Mac... 'Stop this madness'.

https://gist.github.com/jamesog/ad6613195f180c909724c7edbfda762e

This gist applies to Linux clients as well, on Windows it's even easier, as PIV based keys are natively supported in Windows 10/11, though no-one seems to have documented SSH usage specifically for Windows.

Download the 'ykman cli' tool for Windows from Yubico, follow steps 1-3 from the above gist to generate a key in the YubiKey, then use the following single executable on Windows to act as the bridge between the Windows certificate subsystem and Putty/Filezilla/SSH etc., which it does by by emulating pageant/ssh_agent. Windows does all the crypto and handling the key PIN etc.

https://github.com/buptczq/WinCryptSSHAgent

It will even display via right click the public key(s) in SSH format ready to paste into remote authorized_keys files, i.e. step 4 from the Mac gist.

Personally I used Yubikey/GPG for years, but recently switched to the PIV method as I wanted to use Yubikey PIV keys for other things, e.g. 2FA in Keepass, and the GPG approach is a notorious PITA by exclusively locking the smartcard.

Thanked by 3plumberg Hotmarer abtdw
  • emgemg Veteran

I would like to see examples of how LowEndTalk members use their Yubikey(s).

What do you do with your Yubikeys?
    What issues have you encountered with them?

• Guys, if anybody can PM me the key this would be appreciated!

• @emg said:

Are you new? LETer idle everything.

Thanked by 1emg
  • emgemg Veteran
    edited December 2022

@elliotc said:
    Are you new? LETer idle everything.

Yeah, I asked one of my children about the bargain offer. Their response was: "I actually already have a Yubikey 5c collecting dust somewhere, otherwise I would say yes. But I don't need a second one, tempting as it is."

According to the email from Yubico, the coupon code I received can be used to order up to four Yubikeys. If you want the 5C (USB C) model, you must order at least two of them. The coupon code expires on 31 December 2022 at 23:59 PST.

I was there when Yubico was first shown. It was at a conference. The conference organizers had set aside a small separate room devoted to new startups by young inventors. It was away from the main areas and Exhibit Hall. The layout of the room reminded me of a typical "science fair" - each inventor was given a small space. Yubico was among them.

I was handed a non-working Yubikey to examine. I did not like the form factor. The bare contacts were exposed and not protected by the typical rectangular metal sleeve you see on USB-A connectors. I thought to myself, "This will get damaged in pockets and purses by keys, coins, nail trimmers, and pocket knives. It will fail and leave you locked out when you need it the most." Another thing that bothered me was how it acted as a keyboard input. I did not fully grasp the underlying security model behind it from the quick explanation. I wondered how difficult it would be to get it to type out plaintext passwords into a text file. I spent a few minutes with the inventor and moved on to the next table, thinking "This won't fly." Obviously I was very wrong about the future of Yubico.

I know that others here want the discounted Yubikeys too. My advice is: Move a domain registration to Cloudflare, then hope that the offer banner appears and you get a coupon code in time. For me, it took nine days between clicking the banner offer and receiving the email message from Yubico. I moved my domains to Cloudflare last summer. At this point, it may be too late, but if you want to try it, do it now.

• Thanks for posting about this offer. Hopefully I'll still get the code. I bought a domain there, maybe that will qualify.

Thanked by 1emg
  • @emg said:

I use Yubikeys for everything that will work with them. They are much better than most other 2FA options. Everything from email service to registrar to you name it. I always use two -- one on my keychain and one tucked safely away as backup. I appreciate that overall they are also durable... I've got keys that have been beat to heck on my keychain and they still work fine. However, I haven't beat the USB-C version to heck yet so I can't vouch for that design yet. But the other designs are very durable. I also give them as gifts to people I care about who express interest in such things to introduce them to better account security. Overall, a no brainer. And thanks again for listing this deal. I hope I get the discount and I'll buy 5 of them.

Thanked by 1emg
  • @emg said: If you want the 5C (USB C) model, you must order at least two of them.

Did someone here try to order three YubiKey 5 NFC and one YubiKey 5C NFC by any chance? I still didn't pass the checkout, but the system accepts promo code even when only one 5C is added.

• @oriend said:

@emg said: If you want the 5C (USB C) model, you must order at least two of them.

Did someone here try to order three YubiKey 5 NFC and one YubiKey 5C NFC by any chance? I still didn't pass the checkout, but the system accepts promo code even when only one 5C is added.

That (3 + 1) was my choice too. It worked.

Thanked by 1oriend
  • @Mumbly When did you order? I plan to order 3 + 1 too, so hopefully it will work.

• emgemg Veteran

Why are people ordering so many USB-A versions when everything is evolving to USB-C?

Sure, there are adapters for either one. I assume that people would want a more "future-proof" version.

• MumblyMumbly Member
    edited December 2022

@oriend said: @Mumbly When did you order? I plan to order 3 + 1 too, so hopefully it will work.

It took more than a month and half for things to move (EU).

@emg said: Why are people ordering so many USB-A versions when everything is evolving to USB-C?

Sure, there are adapters for either one. I assume that people would want a more "future-proof" version.

Because they buy them to acutally use them now, not to save them for the future?
    I know exactly how many USB-A devices I have available at home, at my family house, at the work and so on... and how many USB-C output devices I have, while I don't know how long I will live or what I will need in the future. It's simply more convenient for actual usage now, instead of hypothetical usage in the future.

Opposite from your logic... why people buy so many things just in case they will use them in the future instead of buying them for present needs? Things changes fast and many things we buy for hypothetical future usage we don't even need them in the future. Or they are cheaper in the future. And so on.

I don't oppose to your logic if that's what you prefer, but I know what are my needs right now and that there will be always one USB-A stored at my work place, one USB-A at my keychain... which left me with one USB-A for general usage at home and one USB-C for future usage /or backup (right now I have exactly one device, laptop with USB-C output, but then again, this same machine have two USB-A outputs).
    In 3 - 5 years from now there will be more and more USB-C devices, but all old USB-A won't just go away that fast and in case I will need another USB-C key I will simply buy one. Based on actual needs, not "just in case". But this doesn't mean that my USB-A keys will be unused, right? Based on current devices I own or work with I will get several years of usage out of them before I will need to replace them with USB-C. And there's still one USB-C key to completement other 3 USB-A in case of urgent needs.

Thanked by 1emg
  • @emg said:
    Why are people ordering so many USB-A versions when everything is evolving to USB-C?

Although I bought a USB-C key for a backup, I still use the USB-A on my keyring day to day.

I need to touch it often, and it's useful to be able to see the LED flashing. To that end I use short USB-A extension leads on the 2 systems I use regularly so my key sits just in front of the keyboard. This has the added advantage that both connectors seem much gentler (less scratchy and stiff) on the contacts of the YubiKey than say most laptop USB sockets. I re-plug it many times a day and it still looks quite unworn a couple of years down the line.

I do feel that I could run over the USB-A device with the wheels of an office chair many times with little chance of damage, not at all sure I could say the same for USB-C.

• Whatever you pick, get two and save one at your home or wherever, and don't carry with you, so you won't get locked out in case of something happens to your key.

I own 4 yubikeys: 2x usb-a yubikey 4 which I carry since 2015, and 2x usb-c yubikey 5c nfc which I got earlier due to Cloudflare's offer. I carry one of each next to me almost every time. Using it is actually faster and safer than totp.

My yubikey 4 looks like crap, but still works wonders, the main reason was usb-c, and Microsoft not liking my good old yubikey 4's fido version (hardware version was too old for them to support apparently).

• Quick update that I did receive my discount code from Yubico -- it took about 10 days from when I requested it from Cloudflare. So this offer is still being honored if you can still submit your request. Absolutely worth the wait, the price is great, and I will buy the max allowed (which is four with my coupon).

I will probably retire one of my existing Yubikeys that has seen better days. It still works to my surprise, but it is very beat up. The others will either be gifts or backups.