Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PSA: Provider Tag Fee Implementation - Page 9
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

PSA: Provider Tag Fee Implementation

Comments

• @jbiloh said: @jmginer said: Last year I posted 2 offers...

the price comes out to 100 USD each offer.

Why not post more often?

That would sound more like providers just advertising their regular products instead of posting special offers.

I don't think users here are really interested in seeing a constant stream of ads for regular products, but are interested in those special deals they wouldn't otherwise get. At some point users will just leave...

Thanked by 1cold
  • jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@cmeerw said: That would sound more like providers just advertising their regular products instead of posting special offers.

I don't think users here are really interested in seeing a constant stream of ads for regular products, but are interested in those special deals they wouldn't otherwise get. At some point users will just leave...

The most effective sales are ones which are unique to LEB/LET. Agreed.

@TheLinuxBug said: Every year the value of the content and quality of the providers drops on Low End Talk. More 'Colocrossing affiliated' template providers show up, sell for a month then disappear and then turn into one of many ghost ships floating around here. Any provider worth their salt here learned to try and post outside the posts of the 'Colocrossing affiliated' hosts but then users who get free things or special deals from some of these hosts prop up providers advertising threads, by continuing to comment on threads, so that they end up with more exposure than all other hosts. Then the site, if you are not using adblock is full of spam advertisements which advertise services which don't even follow the forum rules, so pretty much anyone (wild west). Now they want to charge the small start-up business a $200.00 fee just to post offers likely in lieu of doing any real research if they are a legit provider or not, all the while also likely waving the fee for those who come from 'Colocrossing affiliated' cookie cutter start-ups that they support, providing certain providers even more advantages over others.

This just prevents new competitors that are not 'Colocrossing affiliated' or who do not already have money to burn from entering the market, it doesn't improve the quality of provider, the market, the services provided or provide any better customer choice. So the only 'people' who benefit from this are Jon and his friends at / affiliates of Colocrossing. The user / reader loses in this deal as now new small providers entering the market will be kept from advertising here and you are going to slowly only be funneled to the hosts which can 'afford' to be here, regardless of the actual quality of the host.

Of course, they haven't really cared about the community for a long time outside the money to be made from it, it is just becoming more and more obvious as they throw it in our faces. Most people who used to make this place valuable have already moved on and most of what is left is just newbies trying to learn about virtual servers who then are mislead to think they can trust all the hosts here because they don't do their own research (and we no longer promote doing your own research either) and trolls. The few long time members that are left, check in more and more infrequently, including my self, because its just slowly turning into spam / ad platform with very few new interesting providers showing up and mostly all on the same networks, providing less and less consumer choice as time passes, not more.

'Colocrossing affiliated' - Any host already using Colocrossing networks or paying/bartering directly for preferential treatment / advertising on LET/LEB

A few years ago, sure.

I don't think this has really been an issue the last two years though when it comes to ColoCrossing providers having a large presence on LEB/LET.

Even if you take one of the most popular providers on LET right now, RackNerd, even they have a bunch, maybe even a majority, of their infrastructure with other providers and not ColoCrossing.

• @jbiloh which providers are now actually explicitly ColoCrossing providers?

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

@jbiloh said:

@Nekki said: LET may be for everyone, but posting offers on LET is only for those who pay the toll.

Given the changes we've made to Host Reps after listening to feedback I think we are finding a good middle ground.

A middle ground between LET ‘being for everyone’ or not? There is no middle ground, sorry.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve got no issue with you doing this - it’s your site, if you think this is the best way to make money, hey, I’m sure you’re a far more adept business man than I.

Just don’t pretend this is something that it’s not. You’ve chosen throw up a paywall to keep restrict the activities for a specific group of providers because you figure the financial benefits outweigh whatever benefits this marginalised group bring. It’s business, anyone reasonable should understand that.

• verovero Member, Host Rep

@TheLinuxBug said:
    Most people who used to make this place valuable have already moved on and most of what is left is just newbies trying to learn about virtual servers who then are mislead to think they can trust all the hosts here because they don't do their own research (and we no longer promote doing your own research either) and trolls. The few long time members that are left, check in more and more infrequently, including my self, because its just slowly turning into spam / ad platform with very few new interesting providers showing up and mostly all on the same networks, providing less and less consumer choice as time passes, not more.

Sounds legit. I'm personally disgusted by strong presence of Russian trolls here.

But many will still find LET as more or less valuable resource and paid advertising should definitely make sense for some providers.

• jmginerjmginer Member, Patron Provider

@cmeerw said:
    That would sound more like providers just advertising their regular products instead of posting special offers.

You can verify in my history of created messages, that you are wrong.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@jbiloh said:

Black Friday 2022 will be our best yet. Not to worry :)

Why, what are you doing to top the previous ones?

• @jmginer said:

@cmeerw said:

You can verify in my history of created messages, that you are wrong.

You probably misunderstood my message. The point was if the offers posted by providers would still be just "special offers" if they were posting much more frequently - as you haven't posted more frequently, there is nothing that can be verified from your history.

Thanked by 1jmginer

@hyperblast said: @jbiloh which providers are now actually explicitly ColoCrossing providers?

I can't think of any providers here who utilize ColoCrossing exclusively. Maybe there is one here and there? Most providers have some diversity among their vendor partners.

Since I purchased LEB/LET in January 2020 even ColoCrossing's own brands (ChicagoVPS, HudsonValleyHost) have not been featured.

@Nekki said: Why, what are you doing to top the previous ones?

It'll be the most heavily trafficked along with the most internal investment (financial and time allocated to prepare, etc). Mega Threads on LET, etc. Will be a good one. Hoping to have your participation as well in whatever way you see fit :).

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@hyperblast said:
    @jbiloh which providers are now actually explicitly ColoCrossing providers?

All of them?
    LET is owned by the parent company of ColonCrossing.

WNY IT SERVICES INC, street address VELOCITY SERVERS INC

ColoCrossing our parent company Velocity Servers Inc

Thanked by 1KermEd
  • KermEdKermEd Member
    edited March 2022

@jbiloh said:

It wasn't out of the blue, there was an announced thread in the provider section here on LowEndTalk. That said, I should have still sent an email notice first before the emailed invoices went out. That was my mistake.

No, every single thing you've done, including 'adjusting this amazing offer, here's a coupon code' is a mistake. You are trying to profit off everyone else's services. That was your mistake.

@Nekki said: Kunnu, I’m afraid to say you are likely not JBs target market, and LET is no longer for you.

LET is for everyone.

LET is for everyone * as long as they pay.

Fixed for you, I can't edit and delete other people's posts like you do.

@jbiloh said:

@donko said: why not just charge a small yearly fee (smaller than WHT) to allow providers to post without price limits? and leave everything else as usual (or a bit more limited regarding post frequency) for free provider tags

if you continue, this change will kill events such as black friday...

Thanks for the suggestion, something to consider for sure.

It is most likely to be the worst Black Friday to date. You invented paywalls that will get one thread of resellers and a post by RackNerd for BF. You've intentionally created a gate to block providers from posting without paying you - and there are pages of posts of providers saying they won't. It is clearly impossible for it to be the Best BF.

The real interesting thing is the risk you are running that LET will be fractures to the point of being unrecoverable while pretending you are creating the best world ever. You aren't looking at this logically. Greed does that to people - some more than others.

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

Oh well, however things turn out and whatever the outcome is, I just hope everyone makes it, one way or another <3

Thanked by 1FrankZ
    edited March 2022

@yoursunny said: All of them?
    LET is owned by the parent company of ColonCrossing.

No, that's not correct.

I sold ColoCrossing in 2018, including LEB and LET.

In January 2020 I bought LEB and LET back and have been the owner ever since.

More on this here: https://lowendbox.com/blog/interview-qa-with-lowendbox-lowendtalk-owner-jon-biloh/

Thanked by 2yoursunny ariq01
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@jbiloh said: I can't think of any providers here who utilize ColoCrossing exclusively.

You really have a hate boner for Virmach don't you? :P Dustin is effectively exclusive to CC on here. He has some China friendly DC's, but he (almost) never posts offers/deals from there on here.

Past that I can't think of any providers that have more than 1 - 2 CC locations mixed in with the rest (thinking SmartHost).

You must deal with the thread bumping though. Not just selectively, completely. If I let my tag laps (and I'm likely to), but my old threads are bumpable, I can just keep resurrecting those old threads and still be selling. Virmach has threads from 2018 still bumping and carrying new offers too. Dustin is the same.

Hell, someone bumped my Miami thread not too long ago wanting to ask a question. I'm not the only one, it happens to lots of providers. It's just that Virmach & RN are the most obvious about it.

Francisco

• @jbiloh said: LET is owned by the parent company of ColonCrossing.

Sorry, but your invoice and public information about Coloncrossing appears to disagree.

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited March 2022

My view for what it is worth.

The implementation of this is a complete shit show.

No permission but fuck it, just take email addresses, put them in a billing system and send invoices for a service nobody asked for and then immediately follow up with reminders. Fucking class, only @jbiloh would do it and then try and BS his way out with noise.

At least it is clear now that LET/LEB is just a for-profit business, we knew it was but this confirms it.

I had a look earlier at the first two pages, that is 100 threads. If you strip out the offers, requests for services, complaints/questions about providers you have 13 left. So just 13% not related to services. What does that tell you? LET is simply a marketplace first and foremost.

Those still harping on about community and low-end discussions, give it a rest. Accept that is it a marketplace and that is not going to change.

On the positive side, @Not_Oles was asked about his remuneration on LES, he provided the figures with @jbiloh's permission. Fair play to Jon, he pays a decent amount for the expected return.

Putting up a complete paywall seems like a mistake, in my view. It would seem to me that you could have charged more for additional benefits.

Standard provider tag can post one offer every x weeks/months, not allowed to advertise in their signature.

If you pay the benefits could include:

• A new title to make you stand out
    • Post more frequently than the standard option
    • Price Limits are increased or removed
    • Can advertise in signatures
    • Have the option to also purchase a sticky thread in an offer forum for 1 week

Just some off the top of my head. Yeah, sounds a bit like WHT but a better option than saying everyone must pay regardless.

My point? So much you could have offered and there is bound to be a number of providers that will pay more than $200 pa for these options. Some providers on WHT are paying $1000 for a Corporate badge. And they are advertising here.

But then I see a lot of expected chatter elsewhere, Paying $200 but AlphaRacks still gets unsunk threads and other priorities that other paying providers won't. I am sure Dustin is paying significantly more for the privileges he gets but still a shitty way to treat other providers and now expect them to pay for lesser privileges.

You are sending a lot of providers away to other forums and threads good or bad that generate content and traffic from those offers will be lost to them.

Seems to have been badly thought out, very poorly executed and by the looks of it will require a significant amount of manual oversight.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@jbiloh said:

@Nekki said: Why, what are you doing to top the previous ones?

It'll be the most heavily trafficked along with the most internal investment (financial and time allocated to prepare, etc). Mega Threads on LET, etc. Will be a good one. Hoping to have your participation as well in whatever way you see fit :).

So you’ve no idea then. I didn’t think so, but thought I’d ask.

Given these changes, I would expect suitable financial compensation for any participation.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Anyone else wonder whether OVH or Hetzner paid their invoices or pissed themselves laughing?

@ninzo59 @Hetzner_OL

• ErisaErisa Member

@Nekki said:
    Anyone else wonder whether OVH or Hetzner paid their invoices or pissed themselves laughing?

@ninzo59 @Hetzner_OL

I wondered this but I kept the thought to myself. I guess we will see in the future what their opinion is.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@Erisa said:

@Nekki said:

@ninzo59 @Hetzner_OL

I wondered this but I kept the thought to myself. I guess we will see in the future what their opinion is.

‘You know that wild forum where it’s chaos half the time’

‘Yup’

‘They just sent us an invoice for $100, and if we don’t pay it, we can’t post any of our promotions there’

‘Whatever’

‘Seriously, here’s the invoice’

‘You’ve done a good job with that, looks real’

‘No, this is serious it’s real’

‘Really?’

‘Yup’

‘The forum full of posters that once posted gifs of Emma Watson for 72 consecutive hours wants $100 or we can’t post our promotions?’

‘Yup’

‘Yeah, fuck them, I’ll just get Nekki to post the promotions, he’ll do it for a free KS-1’.

• angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited March 2022

@Erisa said:

@Nekki said:

@ninzo59 @Hetzner_OL

@Hetzner_OL hasn't really had offer threads per se -- more like info-threads about the latest at Hetzner.

@ninzo59 has had real offer threads.

I'm not 100% certain about this, but my impression is that both @ninzo59 and @Hetzner_OL show up here in their spare time -- that it's not part of their job descriptions to post offer threads on LET. If this is the case, then I tend to doubt that they'll pay their invoices. (But I may be mistaken about this.)

• ErisaErisa Member

@angstrom said: I'm not 100% certain about this, but my impression is that both @ninzo59 and @Hetzner_OL show up here in their spare time -- that it's not part of their job descriptions to post offer threads on LET. If this is the case, then I tend to doubt that they'll pay their invoices. (But I may be mistaken about this.)

Well Hetzner definitely doesn't benefit from offers here and doesn't really give them either, there's just the Hetzner chitchat thread that I hope stays if that account transitions to Host Rep.

OVH though... they probably gain at least a non-significant amount of KS/SYS sales from here, so perhaps it would be possible to point the company to the benefits gained and persuade them to cough up the money for the provider tag. There are "offer" threads made for the KS/SYS releases, they're just not exclusive offers (Which is fine and normal).

I'm not an expert in either company though, just passive speculation.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Can I just take provider offers I see elsewhere and post them myself?

edited March 2022

@Erisa said:

@angstrom said: I'm not 100% certain about this, but my impression is that both @ninzo59 and @Hetzner_OL show up here in their spare time -- that it's not part of their job descriptions to post offer threads on LET. If this is the case, then I tend to doubt that they'll pay their invoices. (But I may be mistaken about this.)

Well Hetzner definitely doesn't benefit from offers here and doesn't really give them either, there's just the Hetzner chitchat thread that I hope stays if that account transitions to Host Rep.

OVH though... they probably gain at least a non-significant amount of KS/SYS sales from here, so perhaps it would be possible to point the company to the benefits gained and persuade them to cough up the money for the provider tag. There are "offer" threads made for the KS/SYS releases, they're just not exclusive offers (Which is fine and normal).

I'm not an expert in either company though, just passive speculation.

Yeah, we'll see, but if @ninzo59 was posting more "for fun" than "for work", then I'm not sure that he'll feel so compelled to pay the invoice (or to try to get OVH to pay it).

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • @jbiloh said:

@donko said: why not just charge a small yearly fee (smaller than WHT) to allow providers to post without price limits? and leave everything else as usual (or a bit more limited regarding post frequency) for free provider tags

if you continue, this change will kill events such as black friday...

Thanks for the suggestion, something to consider for sure.

@Nekki said: LET may be for everyone, but posting offers on LET is only for those who pay the toll.

Given the changes we've made to Host Reps after listening to feedback I think we are finding a good middle ground.

@Nekki said:

@ninzo59 @Hetzner_OL

If OVH even reads the invoice and takes the concept of this forum even remotely seriously - they could replace LET overnight. They have the capacity to pay hosts for running deals, instead of begging them to pay overdue invoices.

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • LowHostingLowHosting Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2022

@Nekki said:

@Erisa said:

@Nekki said:

@ninzo59 @Hetzner_OL

‘You know that wild forum where it’s chaos half the time’

‘Yup’

‘They just sent us an invoice for $100, and if we don’t pay it, we can’t post any of our promotions there’

‘Whatever’

‘Seriously, here’s the invoice’

‘You’ve done a good job with that, looks real’

‘No, this is serious it’s real’

‘Really?’

‘Yup’

‘The forum full of posters that once posted gifs of Emma Watson for 72 consecutive hours wants $100 or we can’t post our promotions?’

‘Yup’

‘Yeah, fuck them, I’ll just get Nekki to post the promotions, he’ll do it for a free KS-1’.

I'm literally dead reading it.

Thanked by 1Nekki

@Nekki said:

Participants sometimes link to offers that they find. As long as it's done discreetly, it probably wouldn't raise a red flag.

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • FlamesRunnerFlamesRunner Member
    edited March 2022

I thought he was joking when he said @jbiloh was introducing a provider tag fee, for $200/year no less... Look, I cannot deny that you've probably made at least some effort to improve LET, but good heavens, from what I read, was the execution botched and have you pissed off a good deal of people.

I enjoyed my time here around 2014 to maybe 2019. Haven't really had much interest since, though, so maybe it's time for me to go elsewhere. Good luck, Jon. Signing off for the last time, maybe I'll be back in the distant future.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@angstrom said:

@Nekki said:

Participants sometimes link to offers that they find. As long as it's done discreetly, it probably wouldn't raise a red flag.

What about indiscreetly? Just thinking I could undercut JB and offer a $50 yearly fee paid in services.