Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Boomer.host is back! Amazing NEW DEALS on SSD VPS. From $4.95/YEAR with Dedicated IPv4 & /64 IPv6 - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Boomer.host is back! Amazing NEW DEALS on SSD VPS. From $4.95/YEAR with Dedicated IPv4 & /64 IPv6

Comments

• FrankZFrankZ Veteran
    edited January 2022

@ezeth said: Hmm. Do you really think KVM is an upgrade? If so why?

256MB KVM doesn't make much sense at all since the kernel will eat a big chunk of ram.

I never understood why people prefer KVMs. With OpenVZ you get a cheaper VPS with the ability to run pretty much all applications such as wireguard with kernel support, dockers etc.

Resource wise you also get to use more ram and disk space since the kernel is sponsored by the provider

There is a place for OpenVZ, but KVM does make sense for many things.
    With KVM I can use swap, and newer kernels then 3.1.

@emperor - I still have one of those $3/y 384MB RAM, 17GB SSD as well. :)

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@biangkerok said:
    i'm also a bit paranoid to store cc info in someone's server..

In 2022 no company should store card details on their end, so you shouldn't worry about this. Card payments are the most convenient for server hosts, less abuse and worry free with proper anti-fraud rules in place.

• ezethezeth Member, Patron Provider

@MikeA said:

@biangkerok said:

In 2022 no company should store card details on their end, so you shouldn't worry about this. Card payments are the most convenient for server hosts, less abuse and worry free with proper anti-fraud rules in place.

Tbh I don't think it matters that much if a provider stores it or not. Most cards will require 3d secure for purchases

• Ok, when you use the vps service on your mobile phone and computer at the same time, you will receive emails in different network environments. It is not allowed to share the network protocol. This is a violation of the service regulations. It means that it can only be used alone. Do you think it is reasonable?

edited January 2022

@FrankZ said:

@ezeth said: Hmm. Do you really think KVM is an upgrade? If so why?

256MB KVM doesn't make much sense at all since the kernel will eat a big chunk of ram.

I never understood why people prefer KVMs. With OpenVZ you get a cheaper VPS with the ability to run pretty much all applications such as wireguard with kernel support, dockers etc.

Resource wise you also get to use more ram and disk space since the kernel is sponsored by the provider

There is a place for OpenVZ, but KVM does make sense for many things.
    With KVM I can use swap, and newer kernels then 3.1.

@emperor - I still have one of those $3/y 384MB RAM, 17GB SSD as well. :)

I've tried both OpenVZ 8, and OpenVZ 9 with the new 5.14 kernel and both of these work some what fine. OpenVZ 8 with kernel 4.18 works without issues, though the 5.14 kernel is quite annoying to get to work. Preferably you would get a RHEL 9 OS, then install the packages and build custom kernel for OpenVZ 9

https://src.openvz.org/projects/OVZ/repos/vzkernel/commits?until=refs/heads/branch-rh9-5.14.vz9.1.x-ovz&merges=include

Yes I tried this and built it. It worked but I don't think it's production ready. I really don't want to have to deal with any bugs so I stick with the good old trusty kernel 3.10 with wireguard kernel mod

OpenVZ works with swap also. I've just disabled it because I don't want to have swap

Thanked by 1FrankZ
    edited January 2022

@ezeth said:

@MikeA said:

@biangkerok said:

Tbh I don't think it matters that much if a provider stores it or not. Most cards will require 3d secure for purchases

Yeah, but card processing companies are going to be audited and held to a higher security standard for storing payment details than a small business running their own. I wouldn't trust you to store my card details, I wouldn't trust myself to store my card details, which is why very few hosting companies do now.

@MikeA said:

@ezeth said:

@MikeA said:

@biangkerok said:

Yeah, but card processing companies are going to be audited and held to a higher security standard for storing payment details than a small business running their own. I wouldn't trust you to store my card details, I wouldn't trust myself to store my card details, which is why very few hosting companies do now.

That's true. But what if you need to switch credit card processor?

As long as you have good practice and don't give away your logins to some 1USD/hour remote 3rd world worker I think you're fine

• @ezeth said: OpenVZ 8 with kernel 4.18 works without issues

Thanks for mentioning this. I'll have to try OpenVZ 8 out. 4.18 would be a big step in the right direction.

edited January 2022

@FrankZ said:

@ezeth said: OpenVZ 8 with kernel 4.18 works without issues

Thanks for mentioning this. I'll have to try OpenVZ 8 out. 4.18 would be a big step in the right direction.

Yes this even works with virtualizor. I was thinking about launching with either OpenVZ 8 or 9, but I decided not to in the end.

I see no reason for going with kernel 4.18, or 5.14 unless you want to have 2029 EOL. If you need wireguard support you can just mod the 3.10 kernel to support it like I've done

Thanked by 1FrankZ
    edited January 2022

@ezeth said:
    As long as you have good practice and don't give away your logins to some 1USD/hour remote 3rd world worker I think you're fine

No man.. but okay. We're talking about financial data.

edited January 2022

@MikeA said:

@ezeth said:

No man.. but okay. We're talking about financial data.

I understand that. But I believe most if not all companies have insurance that will cover it if something goes wrong. 1M USD liability insurance is quite cheap.

Being locked in with one processor isn't ideal. What if they raise fees like PayPal?

• can I upgrade to 1gb and keep the ip?

@kalipus said:
    can I upgrade to 1gb and keep the ip?

Yes. Since it's OpenVZ you can upgrade, downgrade without reboots also! 100% uptime and great flexibility

Thanked by 1kalipus
  • @FrankZ said: $3/y 384MB RAM, 17GB SSD as well

Nice deal :)

Thanked by 1FrankZ
  • @ezeth said:

@MikeA said:

@ezeth said:

@MikeA said:

@biangkerok said:

That's true. But what if you need to switch credit card processor?

Yikes. ATTN hackers: here is an easy stack of credit cards, you just need to bypass the "sophisticated security system" boom has in place..

• Yabs:

## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ##

Yet-Another-Bench-Script

v2021-12-28

https://github.com/masonr/yet-another-bench-script

## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ##

Sun Jan 30 03:33:49 EST 2022
    locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory

Basic System Information:

Processor : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2699 v3 @ 2.30GHz
    CPU cores : 2 @ 1800.000 MHz
    AES-NI : ✔ Enabled
    VM-x/AMD-V : ✔ Enabled
    RAM : 4.0 GiB
    Swap : 0.0 KiB
    Disk : 34.3 GiB

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):

Block Size 4k (IOPS) 64k (IOPS)
    Read 67.03 MB/s (16.7k) 139.26 MB/s (2.1k)
    Write 67.18 MB/s (16.7k) 139.99 MB/s (2.1k)
    Total 134.22 MB/s (33.5k) 279.26 MB/s (4.3k)
    Block Size 512k (IOPS) 1m (IOPS)
    ------ --- ---- ---- ----
    Read 387.93 MB/s (757) 470.89 MB/s (459)
    Write 408.54 MB/s (797) 502.25 MB/s (490)
    Total 796.48 MB/s (1.5k) 973.15 MB/s (949)

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv4):

Provider | Location (Link) | Send Speed | Recv Speed
    | | |
    Clouvider | London, UK (10G) | 324 Mbits/sec | 327 Mbits/sec
    Online.net | Paris, FR (10G) | 296 Mbits/sec | 366 Mbits/sec
    WorldStream | The Netherlands (10G) | busy | 389 Mbits/sec
    WebHorizon | Singapore (400M) | 94.9 Mbits/sec | 228 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider | NYC, NY, US (10G) | 394 Mbits/sec | 393 Mbits/sec
    Velocity Online | Tallahassee, FL, US (10G) | 349 Mbits/sec | 368 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 378 Mbits/sec | 399 Mbits/sec
    Iveloz Telecom | Sao Paulo, BR (2G) | busy | busy

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv6):

Provider | Location (Link) | Send Speed | Recv Speed
    | | |
    Clouvider | London, UK (10G) | 329 Mbits/sec | 348 Mbits/sec
    Online.net | Paris, FR (10G) | 316 Mbits/sec | 368 Mbits/sec
    WorldStream | The Netherlands (10G) | 311 Mbits/sec | 329 Mbits/sec
    WebHorizon | Singapore (400M) | 110 Mbits/sec | 220 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider | NYC, NY, US (10G) | 354 Mbits/sec | 372 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 351 Mbits/sec | 375 Mbits/sec

Geekbench 5 Benchmark Test:

Test | Value
    |
    Single Core | 588
    Multi Core | 586
    Full Test | https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/12486485

• eriseris Member
    edited January 2022

Only the multi core performance :(

Also did a test build of some packages and it took about twice as long as an Hetzner CX21 server

Also did an earlier test and it was Single core 580 Multi 68x

@eris said:
    Only the multi core performance :(

Would you be able to give me your VPS ID or order/invoice id?

I’ll take a look at your CPU weight

454.boomer.host

• @yoursunny said:

@ezeth said:

@yoursunny said:

@ezeth said:
    Cheap VPS
    1 CPU
    5 GB SSD Storage
    0.5 GB RAM
    500 GB Monthly Transfer
    500Mbps Network Port
    1 Dedicated IPv4 + /64 IPv6 Address
    OVZ7 / Virtualizor Control Panel
    Automatic weekly backups to an offsite location
    ONLY $4.95/YEAR!
    ORDER NOW: https://my2.boomer.host/cart/vps-hosting/

Cheapest IPv4 since ColonCrossing?
    I had a $3.99/year VirMach with 384MB RAM.
    This one is only $1 more and has a little more RAM (but less disk).

Question is, is it RAM or SWAP?

Another question is, would there be another Virtualizor migration that causes me to permanently lose access to the VPS?
    https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3371039/#Comment_3371039

It's RAM.

I hope so!
    That 4GB looks delicious.
    It's same price as 2GB at other providers.

I didn't migrate virtualizor, or loose the password in fact you should be able to request a password reset https://vps.boomer.host:4083/#act=login&sa=fpass

Tried again.
    Password reset email is working now, but whatever password I enter in the reset form, the login form still says wrong password.
    I'm sure I've entered the same password on both forms, because it's either filled automatically by Chrome browser or pasted from clipboard.

Yes, getting the same issue :(

edited January 2022

@eris said:

454.boomer.host

Fixed! It looks like CPU % was set at 100% on all plans. But of course it should be 200% on the last one. So while you had two cores you were only able to utilize 50% on each core.

@hzhoanglee said:

@yoursunny said:

@ezeth said:

@yoursunny said:

@ezeth said:
    Cheap VPS
    1 CPU
    5 GB SSD Storage
    0.5 GB RAM
    500 GB Monthly Transfer
    500Mbps Network Port
    1 Dedicated IPv4 + /64 IPv6 Address
    OVZ7 / Virtualizor Control Panel
    Automatic weekly backups to an offsite location
    ONLY $4.95/YEAR!
    ORDER NOW: https://my2.boomer.host/cart/vps-hosting/

Cheapest IPv4 since ColonCrossing?
    I had a $3.99/year VirMach with 384MB RAM.
    This one is only $1 more and has a little more RAM (but less disk).

Question is, is it RAM or SWAP?

Another question is, would there be another Virtualizor migration that causes me to permanently lose access to the VPS?
    https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3371039/#Comment_3371039

It's RAM.

I hope so!
    That 4GB looks delicious.
    It's same price as 2GB at other providers.

I didn't migrate virtualizor, or loose the password in fact you should be able to request a password reset https://vps.boomer.host:4083/#act=login&sa=fpass

Tried again.
    Password reset email is working now, but whatever password I enter in the reset form, the login form still says wrong password.
    I'm sure I've entered the same password on both forms, because it's either filled automatically by Chrome browser or pasted from clipboard.

Yeah this seems to be some bug with virtualizor where users created under cloud accounts (in this case FAT32 created these accounts for you from his cloud/reseller account) cannot login themselves. All regular users still work fine.

• @ezeth said:

@eris said:

454.boomer.host

Fixed! It looks like CPU % was set at 100% on all plans. But of course it should be 200% on the last one. So while you had two cores you were only able to utilize 50% on each core.

That would explain it...

• VPN allow ?

@Andrey11 said:
    VPN allow ?

Yes you can use the server as a VPN but you can't order while being on a VPN

• the_doctorthe_doctor Member
    edited January 2022

@jmaxwell said:
    Wireguard works just fine for Netflix, Prime etc. For 5 bucks an year, it's the best one out there because you'll also get a dedicated IPv4.

Did you test it or just suggesting that the technology works? :)

Edit: Just tried Netflix and seems to work using WireGuard to Boomer.Host, impressive!

• Memo to @ezeth
    Subject: profit

You're supposed to charge more money than it costs you.

Regards,
    Your bookkeeper.

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • @the_doctor said:

Did you test it

Yes that is what I meant. Tested Wireguard+boomer.host for accessing Netflix and Amazon Primevideo content restricted to US and it worked just fine.

Thanked by 1the_doctor
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@ezeth said:

@hzhoanglee said:

@yoursunny said:

Yeah this seems to be some bug with virtualizor where users created under cloud accounts (in this case FAT32 created these accounts for you from his cloud/reseller account) cannot login themselves. All regular users still work fine.

So you've identified the problem.
    However, it's still not fixed.

edited January 2022

@yoursunny said:

@ezeth said:

@hzhoanglee said:

@yoursunny said:

How do you expect me to fix a bug of virtualizor when it's encoded with ioncube

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@ezeth said:

@yoursunny said:

@ezeth said:

@hzhoanglee said:

@yoursunny said:

How do you expect me to fix a bug of virtualizor when it's encoded with ioncube

We expect you to reset passwords for all affected accounts.

This discussion has been closed.