Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[MXroute] Black Friday 2021 - Page 7
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[MXroute] Black Friday 2021

123457»

Comments

• @dahartigan said:
    Am I the only one picturing a naked @jar?

CURSED JAR

Thanked by 2dahartigan bulbasaur
  • @Nekki said:

@jar said: I'm replying to this in the shower, hard to do tickets from the same place.

You shouldn't expect dedication like this for $10/year.

Right? Top notch customer service as always, I'll be here as long as they are.

Thanked by 1Nekki
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@dahartigan said:

@Nekki said:

@jar said: I'm replying to this in the shower, hard to do tickets from the same place.

I keep sending out nudes but no one will distribute them.

edited December 2021

After cleaning out orders that were never paid for, there are more stock of the $10 plan. I'll turn a blind eye to what's left for the remainder of the weekend.

Support tickets are backed up and I'm working through them.

Thanked by 2Foul user123
  • @jar said I'm working through them.

Thanked by 1ehab
  • @jar said:
    I keep sending out nudes but no one will distribute them.

the only nudes i got from you were

Thanked by 3jar user123 plumberg
  • @dahartigan said:

@Nekki said:

• @chocolateshirt said:

@dahartigan said:

@Nekki said:

Yes, the rest of us are filming in 8K.

• @jar said:
    After cleaning out orders that were never paid for, there are more stock of the $10 plan. I'll turn a blind eye to what's left for the remainder of the weekend.

Sweet. Sold for a $10 plan. Thanks.

• @alphanerd said:
    @jar Hi Jarland! Been using your service since last year BF and it was great! Currently I'm thinking about an easy way to automatically get me immediately notified from my vps when e.g. a service crashed or a backup is complete. It might be possible to send a message via SMTP or Crossbox chat.
    1. If I send mails from one mailbox to another of the same domain under mxroute (e.g. from [email protected] to [email protected], with mail server of a.com being mxroute), since the mail goes only inside the same server, does it counts for the 300 mails/h limit?

Just curious. Are there real-life scenarios when 300mails/hour is a real bottleneck?

To the best of my knowledge, if one does, say, mass mailing, then a proper service should be used (SES or whatever), not the regular hosted mail server.

Just my 6 cents.

@Master_Bo said:

@alphanerd said:
    @jar Hi Jarland! Been using your service since last year BF and it was great! Currently I'm thinking about an easy way to automatically get me immediately notified from my vps when e.g. a service crashed or a backup is complete. It might be possible to send a message via SMTP or Crossbox chat.
    1. If I send mails from one mailbox to another of the same domain under mxroute (e.g. from [email protected] to [email protected], with mail server of a.com being mxroute), since the mail goes only inside the same server, does it counts for the 300 mails/h limit?

Just curious. Are there real-life scenarios when 300mails/hour is a real bottleneck?

To the best of my knowledge, if one does, say, mass mailing, then a proper service should be used (SES or whatever), not the regular hosted mail server.

Just my 6 cents.

There are some cases where someone sends out alerts to 3+ people and they'll often not recognize that an email to two recipients is two emails. So it can dramatically cut down the number of emails needed, from their perspective, to hit the limit.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • @jar said:
    There are some cases where someone sends out alerts to 3+ people and they'll often not recognize that an email to two recipients is two emails. So it can dramatically cut down the number of emails needed, from their perspective, to hit the limit.

Correct, but for technical emails (monitoring alerts etc) I also use SES (Postmark etc) - to avoid the above scenarios and to improve delivery.

• SelykgSelykg Member
    edited December 2021

Well, this is frustrating. Mxroutes handling of DKIM records sort of sucks and breaks with Hover, which sucks equally bad. Gotta say, strike one for switching from Fastmail. Guess that was wasted money

If anyone from mxroute cares. The link to how to split a DKIM record in your documentation no longer works. Seems something important like this might be better to have a copy of that within your own docs, rather than relying on someone else’s site to remain functional.

edited December 2021

@Selykg said:
    Well, this is frustrating. Mxroutes handling of DKIM records sort of sucks and breaks with Hover, which sucks equally bad. Gotta say, strike one for switching from Fastmail. Guess that was wasted money

If anyone from mxroute cares. The link to how to split a DKIM record in your documentation no longer works. Seems something important like this might be better to have a copy of that within your own docs, rather than relying on someone else’s site to remain functional.

What exactly is it that you are you accusing me of doing? The front page of the website says I expect you to know how to configure DNS, and I didn't do anything to your "Hover" nor do I in any way "handle" your DNS records. What you need is a some perspective and a Google search. Don't accuse me of being responsible for your lack of knowledge on the subject.

You're going to meet the same problem almost anywhere if you choose to host your DNS somewhere that doesn't allow proper records, and the job of splitting a DKIM record isn't so unique that the third party site I linked to is the only resource that exists on the matter. Your choices, your pain, your responsibility. Ask questions instead of accusing other people of being responsible for your choices and you'll get a better response.

I'll look at an update to the DKIM docs but in the meantime I expect you to take a bit more of the DNS responsibility onto your own shoulders. I do email, not DNS. You do DNS.

Thanked by 2bakageta user123
  • @Selykg said:

The need to split a DKIM record has nothing to do with MXRoute. You can just split them using quotation marks and make sure each section has less than 255 characters; or use some tools like this one https://www.mailhardener.com/tools/dns-record-splitter.

And actually, I'd suggest that you use a better DNS service provider such as the free Cloudflare, which allows long DKIM records.

Thanked by 2jar bikegremlin
  • @dedipromo said:
    The need to split a DKIM record has nothing to do with MXRoute. You can just split them using quotation marks and make sure each section has less than 255 characters; or use some tools like this one https://www.mailhardener.com/tools/dns-record-splitter.

And actually, I'd suggest that you use a better DNS service provider such as the free Cloudflare, which allows long DKIM records.

I did all that, Hover just sucks. They don’t seem to allow the submitted record to contain more than the 255 character limit regardless of whether the TXT record is technically fine.

I didn’t have this issue with Fastmail, so part of this falls on mxroute, they could do what Fastmail does but they choose not to.

I’ll look at setting up DNS elsewhere. But this has turned into more work than it should’ve been. Thanks for at least providing a reasonable answer, unlike Jar.

@Selykg said:

@dedipromo said:

I did all that, Hover just sucks. They don’t seem to allow the submitted record to contain more than the 255 character limit regardless of whether the TXT record is technically fine.

I didn’t have this issue with Fastmail, so part of this falls on mxroute, they could do what Fastmail does but they choose not to.

I’ll look at setting up DNS elsewhere. But this has turned into more work than it should’ve been. Thanks for at least providing a reasonable answer, unlike Jar.

I'd like to personally extend to you a refund because I don't like you and I think you're painfully incompetent. Feel free to message me privately with your account email.

Thanked by 3Nekki Erisa user123
  • You make it sound like it's Mxroute fault because it worked at FastMail they do DKIM differently it's a cname the actual DKIM record is on their DNS server.

It's not Jar fault you ran into a txt record length limitation with your domain register DNS, have you try adding it as two parts.

Thanked by 2jar user123
    edited December 2021

@Razza said: You make it sound like it's Mxroute fault because it worked at FastMail they do DKIM differently it's a cname the actual DKIM record is on their DNS server.

Correct and the whole "we could do it that way" is absolutely right. We could charge what Fastmail charges and hire a dev team to build an in-house product for the front-end much faster, but then I suspect he would be upset that he didn't get a $10 promo.

You make sacrifices to save money. I made sacrifices to offer cheaper service. I outsource the basic structure of the inbound front-end to DirectAdmin. I pass on that savings to customers because I don't like the per user model.

If you do like the charge per user model, feel free to pay for it and the benefits it affords. Our outbound system is superior, and that's where the bulk of the effort goes. I make no illusions here that this is some VC funded startup that employs a full frontend dev team with 18 months runway before the burn rate forces us to sell to EIG. I created MXroute late one night with a credit card and a bottle of everclear. It's growing rapidly, and is rapidly approaching the hiring of someone who can hopefully help with frontend development, but that's not where we started nor where we are today. A startup in some countries can fill an office with staff for half a year on my monthly server fees alone, but that's not the startup culture I'm after. If you're on board for something new and different that builds direct from it's own revenue, welcome. If you're not on board, watch from a distance and fondly remember the times when we offered promos, they're rapidly disappearing.

I will change the market. I will do it without investors. I am not a frontend developer. I won't let my shortcomings stop me, I won't declare defeat based on them. They will be augmented when I can pay someone to live very well who shares my mission.

• @jar said:

@Razza said: You make it sound like it's Mxroute fault because it worked at FastMail they do DKIM differently it's a cname the actual DKIM record is on their DNS server.

Correct and the whole "we could do it that way" is absolutely right. We could charge what Fastmail charges and hire a dev team to build an in-house product for the front-end much faster, but then I suspect he would be upset that he didn't get a $10 promo.

You make sacrifices to save money. I made sacrifices to offer cheaper service. I outsource the basic structure of the inbound front-end to DirectAdmin. I pass on that savings to customers because I don't like the per user model.

If you do like the charge per user model, feel free to pay for it and the benefits it affords. Our outbound system is superior, and that's where the bulk of the effort goes. I make no illusions here that this is some VC funded startup that employs a full frontend dev team with 18 months runway before the burn rate forces us to sell to EIG. I created MXroute late one night with a credit card and a bottle of everclear. It's growing rapidly, and is rapidly approaching the hiring of someone who can hopefully help with frontend development, but that's not where we started nor where we are today. A startup in some countries can fill an office with staff for half a year on my monthly server fees alone, but that's not the startup culture I'm after. If you're on board for something new and different that builds direct from it's own revenue, welcome. If you're not on board, watch from a distance and fondly remember the times when we offered promos, they're rapidly disappearing.

I will change the market. I will do it without investors. I am not a frontend developer. I won't let my shortcomings stop me, I won't declare defeat based on them. They will be augmented when I can pay someone to live very well who shares my mission.

throws panties on stage

Full disclosure: I don't know whose they are

Thanked by 2jar tjn