Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hetzner increases pricing ips - Page 7
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hetzner increases pricing ips

123457»

Comments

• LeeLee Veteran

@stefeman said: No matter how much you guys justify it, over 6000 € just to setup a rented /24

Nobody is trying to justify it, just understand why. The fact is that Hetzner is not expecting anyone to pay it, which is the point you are missing.

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

The next couple years are going to be really fun to watch. Learning v6 and figuring out how to do more with less v4 is going to be a useful skill to possess.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited August 2021

@stefeman said: over 6000 € just to setup a rented /24 (which is also a seperate fee of over 600€/m) is pure madness

Maybe it's what's called a prohibitive fee. They don't really want anyone buying that, because selling failover IPs as a /24 subnet only nets 443 Euro/month, compared to 1295 Euro/month in total when renting out 254 IPs one-by-one.

In any case, the proper solution is to stop caring about any of that, and deploy IPv6. Cheap VPS hosting might not be feasible anymore from Hetzner, but for any other use it is hard to come up with a scenario where you must have all these IPs, and could not use IPv6 + reverse proxying or port forwarding from a single IPv4 instead.

Thanked by 2Ricarta vimalware
  • ArkasArkas Moderator

@Lee said: Nobody is trying to justify it, just understand why. The fact is that Hetzner is not expecting anyone to pay it, which is the point you are missing.

Right... Your post makes as much sense as nothing...

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited August 2021

@Arkas said: Right... Your post makes as much sense as nothing...

Right.

@rm_ said: Maybe it's what's called a prohibitive fee.

See he gets it. Be like @rm_ not a dick like @Arkas.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@rm_ said: Maybe it's what's called a prohibitive fee. They don't really want anyone buying that, because selling failover IPs as a /24 subnet only nets 443 Euro/month, compared to 1295 Euro/month in total when renting out 254 IPs one-by-one.

one-by-one also means it's 'most likely' attached to a full price server too.

Francisco

• deankdeank Member, Troll

The bottom line.

1.Hetzner has made a biz decision.
    2.Hetzner is not the only host.
    3.Hetzner is again not the only host in the world.
    4.Surprise! You can actually leave Hetzner.
    5.Hetzner?
    6.Hetzner!

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited August 2021

@deank said: 2.Hetzner is not the only host.

Yeah, but you know. The real issue for most is that for Hardware the price/quality can't really be beaten that easily. Get an equivalent server elsewhere and sure you get cheaper IPs but the overall price is still significantly higher than before.

• adlyadly Veteran

Getting someone to pay around 50% of the (current) IP acquisition cost as setup along with a monthly rental fee is excellent business if it works out. Subsidise buying as many as possible and sell when (if) IPv4 prices peak.

Curious, do Hetzner permit BYOIP? The pricing isn't too far away from it being worthwhile buying (and owning) the IPs yourself if there is a long-term plan on using IPv4.

• @adly said:
    Getting someone to pay around 50% of the (current) IP acquisition cost as setup along with a monthly rental fee is excellent business if it works out. Subsidise buying as many as possible and sell when (if) IPv4 prices peak.

Curious, do Hetzner permit BYOIP? The pricing isn't too far away from it being worthwhile buying (and owning) the IPs yourself if there is a long-term plan on using IPv4.

afaik they only allow bgp on colo, it would be a lot more reasonable if they allowed byoip on regular services with a pricing increase, if the reasoning was truly about ipv4 shortage rather than profits.

Thanked by 3adly 404error Abd
  • SpecsblueSpecsblue Member
    edited August 2021

Hetzner Online plans huge data center park

Source:
    https://www.nordbayern.de/region/gunzenhausen/hetzner-online-plant-riesigen-rechenzentrumspark-1.11251151

Now we know why prices raise.

• SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

@Specsblue said:

Source:
    https://www.nordbayern.de/region/gunzenhausen/hetzner-online-plant-riesigen-rechenzentrumspark-1.11251151

I love this kind of reporting via LET on such topics.. now we know the Reason of price increase.

• MechanicWebMechanicWeb Member, Patron Provider

This setup fee is certainly not justified compared to industry rates. There is no other data center that is charging anything close to this rate.

What worries me more is that in the recent years, service quality has gone down of the DCs that increased pricing in some form, perhaps due to their focus shifting to increasing prices.

We just decided to get a server, coincidentally two days before the hike. Onboarding was not a smooth ride, in every way that is possible. So fingers crossed for now.

• ArkasArkas Moderator

Hopefully OVH wont follow the pricing of Hetzner.

• DrvDrv Member

Well, i hope they do. All.
    And drop v4 and push v6 only.

• @Specsblue said:

Source:

Hetzner Datacenter Reich™

• Hetzner_OLHetzner_OL Member, Top Host

@Falzo said: haha, sorry but that was meant towards a typo in the first answer which said voltility instead of volatility. I think meanwhile it has been corrected.

there were a few more things though... felt a bit like you were in a hurry ;-)

Ah, I see. Yeah, I tend to over-estimate my typing skills at times. And on days where there is a lot going on, like the days following the IPv4 price change, I don't proofread as carefully as I would like to. I'll accept the chance that there's more misspelled words on those days if it means that I can respond to more comments. --Katie

• Hetzner_OLHetzner_OL Member, Top Host

To the best of my knowledge, the decision behind IPv4 price changes is independent of the potential new location in Gunzenhausen, Germany. Absolutely nothing there is set in stone or decided. The newspaper article focused on one site in consideration. The demand for the new DC park is based simply on space and mathematics. If growth continues at the current rate, we will need a new site within a few years to meet demand.

Gunzenhausen would be a convenient location because that's where our headquarters are. (I'm writing to you from there at the moment.)

To respond to comments earlier in the thread — yes, Hetzner is independently owned and operated, without outside investors. That is why we are careful about not over-expanding.

Establishing new sites is, indeed, a significant investment, but we established Hetzner Finland without increasing IP prices. And we continue to offer servers there at a lower price to reflect the lower energy prices there.

@xx00xx - I am going to assume that your comment about "Reich" simply jokes at our expanding sites as an empire, and is funny because of the exaggeration that implies, and assume that your joke was not comparing us to Nazis and what they called the "Third Empire".

IPv4/IPv6-related comments: Thanks to everyone who has given us constructive criticism. That's always welcome. --Katie

Thanked by 3Falzo fynn sebkehl