Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hetzner increases pricing ips - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hetzner increases pricing ips

Comments

• LeeLee Veteran

@Francisco said: Do not bank on OVH sitting on their thumbs on this.

Really only a matter of time, I was fucked over by them as were many years ago. Paid for many blocks on the basis of a single payment then they decided that everyone had to pay per IP, everyone, even if you had recently (at that time) just bought a block you were now on monthly.

Then they went back to single block pricing again and until now.

I am sure that was the 2nd time they did it, so history says have no problem with doing it, so they will again when the time is right.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Lee said:

@Francisco said: Do not bank on OVH sitting on their thumbs on this.

Really only a matter of time, I was fucked over by them as were many years ago. Paid for many blocks on the basis of a single payment then they decided that everyone had to pay per IP, everyone, even if you had recently (at that time) just bought a block you were now on monthly.

Then they went back to single block pricing again and until now.

I am sure that was the 2nd time they did it, so history says have no problem with doing it, so they will again when the time is right.

There was quite a few VPS providers that time that ended up moving out completely because the amount they were charging ($15/year or whatever for a 128MB) couldn't even cover the IP cost.

Francisco

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@v3ng said:

@MikePT said:
    Cloud Servers price is changing too, it's a small change, I'm fine about it tbh.

Product Price per month / hour up until now Price per month / hour, effective 1 Sept 2021
    Cloud Servers:
    CX11 2.49€ / 0.004€ 3.49€ / 0.0055€
    CPX11 3.49€ / 0.006€ 3.99€ / 0.0065€

Existing Cloud Servers are not affected by this price adjustment. Please note that these prices also apply to rescaling, effective September 1, 2021.

Where did you read about that?

Received by email a few minutes later.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@Falzo said:

@MikePT said:
    Cloud Servers price is changing too, it's a small change, I'm fine about it tbh.

@MikePT when did you get that mail? so far I haven't seen or received that - yet I do have a few CPX11 ...

A few minutes later I think mate.

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • SagnikSSagnikS Member, Host Rep

@Francisco said:

@Mr_Tom said: That would save on subnet setup fees, unless you're just grabbing auction servers and have less control over location.

So the question is, if you swap to another node (and get a new primary IP), do you have to pay the setup fee on a previously paid for block? Or will they move it within the same zone without screwing clients?

Francisco

They're not charging for subnet reroutes it seems (https://i.imgur.com/eYzhUAp.png)

• fLoofLoo Member

@SagnikS said:

Francisco

They're not charging for subnet reroutes it seems (https://i.imgur.com/eYzhUAp.png)

This is only true if the new server is in the same rack.

• I am already NATting as much as I can. So with the one server we have with Hetzner, it won’t break the bank. But 19 EUR setup fee for ONE IP. That’s outrageous.

Though I see an interesting business model for my own business. Every time I need to do something that I don’t really like, I will ask small fees. You want me to deliver your article with screenshots? That will be 5 EUR per screenshot. Oh? That’s too much? Bummer.

I guess I won’t have customers anymore then.

• SagnikSSagnikS Member, Host Rep

@fLoo said:

@SagnikS said:

Francisco

This is only true if the new server is in the same rack.

No, they have to be in the same OSPF region. They have to be in the same rack only if you want to change single IPs which are bound to the rack.

Thanked by 1fLoo
  • vovlervovler Member

@deank said:
    Another fire for OVH would be nice.

Still waiting for a LET thread with "Toasty deals [FR only]" from ninzo59

• Do I understand that setup fees would be at time of ordering additional IPv4 after aug1?

@Hetzner_OL Would my current in-use 3-4 ips attract the setup fee?

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@vimalware said: @Hetzner_OL Would my current in-use 3-4 ips attract the setup fee?

I can't seem them try to retroactively claim setup fees, that'd be insane.

Francisco

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @Francisco said:

@vimalware said: @Hetzner_OL Would my current in-use 3-4 ips attract the setup fee?

I can't seem them try to retroactively claim setup fees, that'd be insane.

Francisco

Asking €19 for "setting up" 1 IP is insane enough.

Thanked by 1fLoo
  • LeviLevi Member

Forcing to use ipv6? Non the less, this move will bring more clients to ovh. Oles 1, hetz 0.

Thanked by 1MannDude
  • user54321user54321 Member
    edited July 2021

@fLoo said:
    For example: All Vodafone Germany Cable customers who are running their cable box in bridged mode (router acting as 'dumb' modem only) do not receive an IPv6 announcement from Vodafone. Only if you use the Vodafone Box as router.

That is only true for KDG customers, ex Unitymedia customers get dual stack with the connectbox in bridge mode or no bridge mode at all with the vodafone station, both with IPv6.
    If you really need bridge mode you could always go with a real modem like the TC4400

@fLoo said:
    THAT is the real problem we're facing. The CPE and Tier 1/2/3 ISPs who give a flying fuck about that.

Germany doesn't have any ISPs that are not willing to give out IPv6 beside easybell, but even they work on that currently. All 3 mobile operators hand out IPv6. If your target audience are just german customers you could go already IPv6 only, those that don't have IPv6 decided so and it is not because they couldn't get it, so I don't see why I would support that garbage any longer in that position.

• HarmonyHarmony Member
    edited July 2021

How can they justify charging a set up cost that's almost the same as owning the asset. It's madness.

Even small hosting providers find a way to only charge $2 per month (which still seems high to me) and as you scale up the annual fee of RIPE surely goes down. This must either be greed or they are trying to kill off their clients who run small hosting businesses.

If OVH wants to start charging they are going to lose a lot of business. So many hosting providers sell VPS, game servers, proxies/vpns, seo IPs & more purely because you can get those free (one off 2 eur) IPs.

• @Harmony said:
    How can they justify charging a set up cost that's almost the same as owning the asset. It's madness.

Even small hosting providers find a way to only charge $2 per month (which still seems high to me) and as you scale up the annual fee of RIPE surely goes down. This must either be greed or they are trying to kill off their clients who run small hosting businesses.

If OVH wants to start charging they are going to lose a lot of business. So many hosting providers resell their VPS, game servers, proxies/vpns purely because you can get those free (one off 2 eur) IPs.

Or they are just funding their next DC with this.

• @serv_ee said:

@Harmony said:

If OVH wants to start charging they are going to lose a lot of business. So many hosting providers resell their VPS, game servers, proxies/vpns purely because you can get those free (one off 2 eur) IPs.

Then they are another scummy host.

BoycottHetzner

• FalzoFalzo Member

@serv_ee said: Or they are just funding their next DC with this.

the one in Ashburn?

• @Harmony said:

@serv_ee said:

@Harmony said:

BoycottHetzner

What?

@Falzo said:

@serv_ee said: Or they are just funding their next DC with this.

the one in Ashburn?

No clue, just my dumb imagination, nothing else.

• boerndboernd Member

Hetzner only made 72 Mio. € profit in 2019, I think they need more

Thanked by 1CConner
  • bulbasaurbulbasaur Member
    edited July 2021

@Harmony said:

@serv_ee said:

@Harmony said:

BoycottHetzner

Says the provider without a provider tag and asking how to oversell RAM on KVM. Or are you one of those kiddie hosts simply reselling Hetzner servers?

Thanked by 2Lee TimboJones
  • serv_eeserv_ee Member
    edited July 2021

@boernd said:
    Hetzner only made 72 Mio. € profit in 2019, I think they need more

I mean there's always the possibility for you to open up your own DC and offer the same services but just at the right price so you'd just get by somehow.

As much as I dislike the IP thing it's not like anyone is forcing you to rent from them. There are tons of other options. But as always most people will just calm down and keep doing what they do now.

Thanked by 1iKeyZ
  • FalzoFalzo Member

@vimalware said:
    Do I understand that setup fees would be at time of ordering additional IPv4 after aug1?

yes.

no, why should it? and monthly pricing for existing (addon) IPs will only change from january 22 so you can even cancel before that, what you actually don't need but just hoarded :-P ;-)

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • ViridWebViridWeb Member, Host Rep

@vimalware said:
    Do I understand that setup fees would be at time of ordering additional IPv4 after aug1?

No. They will not charge setup fee on existing IPs

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • fLoofLoo Member
    edited July 2021

@user54321 said:
    Germany doesn't have any ISPs that are not willing to give out IPv6 beside easybell, but even they work on that currently. All 3 mobile operators hand out IPv6. If your target audience are just german customers you could go already IPv6 only, those that don't have IPv6 decided so and it is not because they couldn't get it, so I don't see why I would support that garbage any longer in that position.

What the heck are you talking about? EWE does not announce any v6 to clients at all ?!? Want me to continue the list?

• lukgthlukgth Member

@fLoo said:

@user54321 said:

What the heck are you talking about? EWE does not announce any v6 to clients at all ?!? Want me to continue the list?

interesting, I have DSL from 1&1 using a Telekom line and I get a /56 IPv6 subnet. My Vodafone LTE also has IPv6.

• user54321user54321 Member
    edited July 2021

@fLoo said:

@user54321 said:

I talked about germany wide available ISPs. I have no clue what all that little local ones do.
    But please go on with ones that operate germany wide and have no IPv6 so I can avoid them.

• The killer fees! Katie needs to be here.

• Preeeety fucking sure she doesn't have a say in this.

Thanked by 2TimboJones MrH
  • vm_jevm_je Member

@user54321 said: Germany doesn't have any ISPs that are not willing to give out IPv6 beside easybell, but even they work on that currently. All 3 mobile operators hand out IPv6. If your target audience are just german customers you could go already IPv6 only, those that don't have IPv6 decided so and it is not because they couldn't get it, so I don't see why I would support that garbage any longer in that position.

Sorry guy but this is not true. For example Vodafone Germany does not offer IPv6 support with their DSL brand. They have some help movies about that topic but the settings does not work in most of their regions: https://forum.vodafone.de/t5/Internet-Geräte/Vodafone-DSL-und-IPv6-ja-nein-bisserl/td-p/2171649/page/3

Thanked by 1fLoo