Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hetzner increases pricing ips - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hetzner increases pricing ips

Comments

• fLoofLoo Member
    edited July 2021

Update: Martin Hetzner just wrote a forum answer regarding the setup questions. I've used google translate to save me some time and you some laughter:

(Original Link: https://forum.hetzner.com/index.php?thread/28220-setup-preise-für-ipv4-ab-2022/&postID=277633#post277633)

The idea behind the setup fee is to improve the position of existing customers over new customers. The monthly costs alone would not cover the current or shortly expected purchase prices.
    What needs to be taken into account in this context is that we cannot resell 100% of the IPs that we have purchased. Due to the segmentation of the networks, there are residual areas that are not available for use. You have to take this into account when determining the price.

I think we found a moderate way to keep IPv4 addresses available.

In the end, the registries decided that the scarcity of V4 addresses and the pressure to switch to V6 should be resolved through market mechanisms. These have been working for some time now. It only becomes cheaper again when most of us no longer need V4 addresses. We are working on our own infrastructure to get there step by step. But everyone who looks after larger networks knows that the problems often lie in small technical details. If in doubt, you spend a few more euros more. But that doesn't solve our problem in the long run.

I'm afraid the V4 IP's will get more and more expensive over the next few years, until almost nobody wants them anymore. Then the mission is over.

second post

The conversion from "we buy an IP" to "we rent an IP" does not work.
    The reality is more like we buy 2 IPs and rent one IP.
    Or in the best case somewhere in between ...

Martin Hetzner
    Hetzner Online GmbH

Thanked by 1fragpic
  • DrvDrv Member

Time to drop v4 and allow v6 :D

• Vova1234Vova1234 Member, Patron Provider

The installation fee is straightforwardly too high.

• @vm_je said:

@user54321 said: Germany doesn't have any ISPs that are not willing to give out IPv6 beside easybell, but even they work on that currently. All 3 mobile operators hand out IPv6. If your target audience are just german customers you could go already IPv6 only, those that don't have IPv6 decided so and it is not because they couldn't get it, so I don't see why I would support that garbage any longer in that position.

Sorry guy but this is not true. For example Vodafone Germany does not offer IPv6 support with their DSL brand. They have some help movies about that topic but the settings does not work in most of their regions: https://forum.vodafone.de/t5/Internet-Geräte/Vodafone-DSL-und-IPv6-ja-nein-bisserl/td-p/2171649/page/3

ok it seems like I underestimated the retardness of some ISPs, I manage a VDF DSL residential connection and that is dual stack, I can't imagine why some of them have dual stack, some are IPv4 only and some are DS-Lite, like wtf, don't they have standards?

Thanked by 1fLoo
  • BarisBaris Member

So if I I deploy cloud instances before 1st of September I will benefit prisewise because of my grandfathered instances?

• 0xbkt0xbkt Member

Bring in IPv6-only instances. But that's never going to happen.

• YmpkerYmpker Member

@Drv said:
    Time to drop v4 and allow v6 :D

@yoursunny will gladly help :)

• fLoofLoo Member

@user54321 said:
    ok it seems like I underestimated the retardness of some ISPs, I manage a VDF DSL residential connection and that is dual stack, I can't imagine why some of them have dual stack, some are IPv4 only and some are DS-Lite, like wtf, don't they have standards?

Every region has its own, sometimes every CMTS / LNS / LAC does. Some CMTS allowed IPv6 for some time, some didnt. Some were 1 km apart, some were hundrets. The network is utter trash throughout the whole country.

• boerndboernd Member
    edited July 2021

A CMTS is for cable/docsis internet not DSL

• InceptionHostingInceptionHosting Member, Patron Provider

Quite a brave move when your only USP is price, will be interesting to see how this pans out over the next 6 - 18 months.

• fLoofLoo Member

@boernd said:
    A CMTS is for cable/docsis internet not DSL

Did i say so?

• Hetzner_OLHetzner_OL Member, Top Host

They're not charging for subnet reroutes it seems (https://i.imgur.com/eYzhUAp.png)

I can confirm that we are not charging for subnet re-routes. (The exception here may be managed products like our managed servers or web hosting products. But I need to check on that.) --Katie

@vimalware said: @Hetzner_OL Would my current in-use 3-4 ips attract the setup fee?

As far as I understand things, no. The new setup fees will apply to new orders.

Thanked by 1vimalware

After talking to some of the company leaders today, I prepared some FAQs about the decision behind the IPv4 price changes.

• vm_jevm_je Member

[@user54321 said] like wtf, don't they have standards?

No they do not have standards because they bought a lot of smaller ISPs and missed to integrated them completely. They also using different line providers, different portals and access technologies and that has impact if you get IPv6 or not.

I have Vodafone DSL, line based on DTAG and don't get IPv6 only IPv4.

Thanked by 1MrH
  • FalzoFalzo Member

@Hetzner_OL said:
    After talking to some of the company leaders today, I prepared some FAQs about the decision behind the IPv4 price changes.

I'll have an 'A' please Bob ;-)

in the answer to the first question

• LeeLee Veteran

I think the biggest question I have is that now Hetzner has done this, does it now, as it often does, give the signal to other providers to break cover on the topic and increase their prices as well.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Asking for standards on Low end market?

Might as well ask Lee to become a mod.

• LeeLee Veteran

@deank said: Might as well ask Lee to become a mod.

Yeah, been there, done that and still got the scars.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Hetzner_OL said:

Is there any plans for annual revising (up or down?) or do you all feel that at this new pricing you can absorb the rest?

Francisco

• aquaaqua Member, Patron Provider

For those talking about OVH, they have more than enough IPs available. All of my SBG node IPs are still allocated and have not been revoked. If you think about it, every server has a Dedicated IP to it, and they said that there are 200k (correct me if I'm wrong) servers that were toasted.

@aqua said:
    For those talking about OVH, they have more than enough IPs available. All of my SBG node IPs are still allocated and have not been revoked. If you think about it, every server has a Dedicated IP to it, and they said that there are 200k (correct me if I'm wrong) servers that were toasted.

Yep, no reason a company that'll soon have to answer to share holders would want to increase their bottom line by 10's of millions a year.

Francisco

• aquaaqua Member, Patron Provider

@Francisco said:

@aqua said:

Yep, no reason a company that'll soon have to answer to share holders would want to increase their bottom line by 10's of millions a year.

Francisco

To even further continue, OVH is far bigger than Hetzner and has enough money to hold the $3/IP one time fee. They have almost 30 actively running datacenters and loads of servers in there that are rented.

I will say that the fire helped them out, they got the insurance check, customers went out and bought servers in new locations (I did that once I knew my nodes weren't coming online) which brought them even more money.

From what I can guess, people took the 6 months free credit instead of the refund and went on with their day.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@aqua said:

@Francisco said:

@aqua said:

Francisco

To even further continue, OVH is far bigger than Hetzner and has enough money to hold the $3/IP one time fee. They have almost 30 actively running datacenters and loads of servers in there that are rented.

I will say that the fire helped them out, they got the insurance check, customers went out and bought servers in new locations (I did that once I knew my nodes weren't coming online) which brought them even more money.

From what I can guess, people took the 6 months free credit instead of the refund and went on with their day.

OVH has historically retroactively changed the model to monthly; pricing is not sustainable and IPv4 resources are finite therefore above statement doesn’t compute in medium to long term

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • LeeLee Veteran
    edited July 2021

@aqua said: OVH is far bigger than Hetzner and has enough money to hold the $3/IP one time fee. They have almost 30 actively running datacenters and loads of servers in there that are rented.

The point is that they are going public at some point this year. When you have shareholders to satisfy it stops becoming about $3 per IP and more about why are you not charging $10 per IP.

You can absolutely guarantee that one-off cost IP Blocks are gone sooner than later.

Thanked by 2vimalware TimboJones

@Lee said:

@aqua said: OVH is far bigger than Hetzner and has enough money to hold the $3/IP one time fee. They have almost 30 actively running datacenters and loads of servers in there that are rented.

The point is that they are going public at some point this year. When you have shareholders to satisfy it stops becoming about $3 per IP and more about why are you not charging $10 per IP.

You can absolutely guarantee that one-off cost IP Blocks are gone sooner than later.

Stock holders don't like 'one time fees' for services that are commonly 'monthly recurring' everywhere else.

OVH is the black sheep on IP prices. I'm not aware of anyone else that is doing one-time costs.

Francisco

Thanked by 1Clouvider

@Clouvider said:

@aqua said:

@Francisco said:

@aqua said:

Francisco

OVH has historically retroactively changed the model to monthly; pricing is not sustainable and IPv4 resources are finite therefore above statement doesn’t compute in medium to long term

Yep they've changed IP prices at least 2 - 3 times now. Not just monthly recurring pricing but also going back/forth with one-time fees.

They have a lot, no doubt, but it'll be the stock holders that push it.

Francisco

Thanked by 2Clouvider vimalware

@Francisco said: Is there any plans for annual revising (up or down?) or do you all feel that at this new pricing you can absorb the rest?

As far as I know, we won't be decreasing the planned prices. We anticipate that IPv4 market prices will continue to increase exponentially. Hetzner's new set of prices are meant to absorb our increased costs for as long as possible. However, I can't say how long the new prices will remain set; the market itself has become more volatile, which makes making predictions more difficult. --Katie

Thanked by 1Francisco

@Falzo said: I'll have an 'A' please Bob ;-)

It took me awhile to get the reference with "I'll have an 'E' please, Bob." As an American, I unfortunately didn't grow up with the quiz show Blockbusters, although it looks like it was a fun one. I was more of a Jeopardy girl.
    I'm guessing the "A" in your joke stands for "answers"...? If so, I hope the FAQ included some of the ones you were looking for. --Katie

@Hetzner_OL said:

@Francisco said: Is there any plans for annual revising (up or down?) or do you all feel that at this new pricing you can absorb the rest?

As far as I know, we won't be decreasing the planned prices. We anticipate that IPv4 market prices will continue to increase exponentially. Hetzner's new set of prices are meant to absorb our increased costs for as long as possible. However, I can't say how long the new prices will remain set; the market itself has become more volatile, which makes making predictions more difficult. --Katie

That's fair. Just wanted to ask something that I know a few people were curious about.

I agree, I don't think prices will come down, at most go sideways.

Francisco

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL