Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hetzner increases pricing ips - Page 6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hetzner increases pricing ips

Comments

• FalzoFalzo Member

@Hetzner_OL said: I'm guessing the "A" in your joke stands for "answers"...?

haha, sorry but that was meant towards a typo in the first answer which said voltility instead of volatility. I think meanwhile it has been corrected.
    there were a few more things though... felt a bit like you were in a hurry ;-)

• Price is too high. I will never buy again IP Adresses on hetzner.

• JasonMJasonM Member

Now whenever I'm reading the profile name Hetzner_OL in this thread my mind automatically prefixes a "L" and its becoming Hetzner_LOL - as if Hetzner is laughing at me who is gonna pay whopping $19 per IP setup fee plus monthly !

• @user54321 said:
    Germany doesn't have any ISPs that are not willing to give out IPv6 beside easybell, but even they work on that currently. All 3 mobile operators hand out IPv6. If your target audience are just german customers you could go already IPv6 only, those that don't have IPv6 decided so and it is not because they couldn't get it, so I don't see why I would support that garbage any longer in that position.

If you living in the countryside and want faster internet than dsl 16/1 mbps (on paper, good luck actually getting that when in reality is 6-8 in average) you can try Telekom vdsl or so which is often only available as a 'regio' plan. However 'regio' only got ipv4. They basically rent the line of a provider that can offer faster internet. Furthermore they say it's technically impossible to provide ipv6 (they claim this for every regio wherever you are) due to the provider offering the service to telekom. That company renting out to telekom in my place is ewetel (they do not provide ipv6 btw

). However o2 is also renting the line of ewetel and is providing full dual stack. Telekom simply isn't interested in providing ipv6 for their regio plans so they lie to (potential) customers claiming it's impossible - what is really impossible these days huh?

What's more interesting. If you happen to only be provided with ds lite (cgnat ipv4, native ipv6) you have the right to get a native ipv4 as to some resolution of the EU if the provider won't deliver after a set date they can be fined and you can pay less. Whatsoever I haven't heard of anyone trying to get a ipv6 through the same process but that is totally possible (legally speaking).

• DennisdeWitDennisdeWit Member
    edited July 2021

Cool. @Hetzner_OL is saying the same thing over and over again: be prepared for even higher prices. And I think that would be pretty soon. Be prepared to pay 10 EUR per IP monthly with a setup fee of 95 EUR per IP next year!

Not to bash Hetzner. They are great. But reality is, price is going skyhigh.

• LowHostingLowHosting Member, Host Rep

@fLoo said:
    Update: Martin Hetzner just wrote a forum answer regarding the setup questions. I've used google translate to save me some time and you some laughter:

(Original Link: https://forum.hetzner.com/index.php?thread/28220-setup-preise-für-ipv4-ab-2022/&postID=277633#post277633)

The idea behind the setup fee is to improve the position of existing customers over new customers. The monthly costs alone would not cover the current or shortly expected purchase prices.
    What needs to be taken into account in this context is that we cannot resell 100% of the IPs that we have purchased. Due to the segmentation of the networks, there are residual areas that are not available for use. You have to take this into account when determining the price.

I think we found a moderate way to keep IPv4 addresses available.

In the end, the registries decided that the scarcity of V4 addresses and the pressure to switch to V6 should be resolved through market mechanisms. These have been working for some time now. It only becomes cheaper again when most of us no longer need V4 addresses. We are working on our own infrastructure to get there step by step. But everyone who looks after larger networks knows that the problems often lie in small technical details. If in doubt, you spend a few more euros more. But that doesn't solve our problem in the long run.

I'm afraid the V4 IP's will get more and more expensive over the next few years, until almost nobody wants them anymore. Then the mission is over.

second post

The conversion from "we buy an IP" to "we rent an IP" does not work.
    The reality is more like we buy 2 IPs and rent one IP.
    Or in the best case somewhere in between ...

Martin Hetzner
    Hetzner Online GmbH

I agree that the use of IPv6 should be encouraged but I also think that the increase in prices (especially the installation costs) it will make things difficult for many people and companies who resell/have colocation from Hetzner, I'm not sure it's the best move to incentivize its use, this will create problems for many people.

• fLoofLoo Member
    edited July 2021

@LowHosting said:
    I agree that the use of IPv6 should be encouraged but I also think that the increase in prices (especially the installation costs) it will make things difficult for many people and companies who resell/have colocation from Hetzner, I'm not sure it's the best move to incentivize its use, this will create problems for many people.

I'm not afraid to say that i cant affort the IP pricing of Hetzner anymore. The only thing i can use Hetzner in the future for are projects which are planned to stay alive for atleast 24+ months. Every other project (which needs a decent amount of IPs) cant be realized with them anymore.

If you just need 1 IPv4 and good servers - nothing changed. If you either need a good IPv6 landscape or a lot IPv4's, Hetzner left the game.

• MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

What needs to be taken into account in this context is that we cannot resell 100% of the IPs that we have purchased. Due to the segmentation of the networks, there are residual areas that are not available for use.

I wonder if reassigning IPs for customers was ever considered to increase usable IP space? I'm not saying that an increase in price isn't justified, but it seems that possibly reassigning and a smaller increase in price may have less of a bad reaction.

• @stefeman said:

Biggest issue with the upcoming Hetzner pricing for me however is:

Any server changes/upgrades/additions will also dictate the provider I'm going to choose, since if I cycle anything, I simply cannot afford to pay 600€ setup fees ( /27 subnet(s) ) every time I change server and I need to move the subnet to a new server. It does add up when you pay monthly and upgrade or downgrade to another server every year and subnet needs to be moved. Its even worse if I change multiple servers at once and move all 3 subnets to new servers. 1800€ extra? Fuck that.

Just so you know, Hetzner used to have free subnet moves between servers before, but with that new pricing model, it will cost the setup fee amount again.

I actually agree with that their failover IP s are not movable between servers I mean you can routed to another server for failover purposes but you cannot truly move them to be attached to another server you command them to from the server you order them for

@Hetzner_OL I really hope you tell people up failover IP to be make true failover like OVH or Online.net one detached from the exact server they are initially ordered for

P.S the only good thing (as we pass cost to customers ) We will no longer say that IP is 4.20 a month and customers to think boss was a stoner and that is how he figured out that price ...

• ArkasArkas Moderator
    edited July 2021

Did they legalize drugs in Germany and Hetzner is using them? That's the only explanation I can give for the setup fees...

• LeeLee Veteran

@Arkas said: Did they legalize drugs in Germany and Hetzner is using them? That's the only explanation I can give for the setup fees...

You sure it's not you on drugs given you can't read?

• eriseris Member

@Arkas said:
    Did they legalize drugs in Germany and Hetzner is using them? That's the only explanation I can give for the setup fees...

If the ip prices on the market are 40 / 50 dollar a piece 2 euro in the month + 20 euro setup is not that high.

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@eris said:

If the ip prices on the market are 40 / 50 dollar a piece 2 euro in the month + 20 euro setup is not that high.

Agreed. It's just very sudden, the adding of the setup at these levels, but you are right, at the end of the day, it's basic economics and supply and demand.

• @eris said:

@Arkas said:

it is pretty high when you realize they'll own these ip's for 5+ years & can always sell them later at an appreciating price.

Thanked by 2adly chocolateshirt
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@SirFoxy said: it is pretty high when you realize they'll own these ip's for 5+ years & can always sell them later at an appreciating price.

That is only when you are assuming that the asset won't actually depreciate due to becoming obsolete; Not everyone is willing to take this risk.

• @Clouvider said:

@SirFoxy said: it is pretty high when you realize they'll own these ip's for 5+ years & can always sell them later at an appreciating price.

That is only when you are assuming that the asset won't actually depreciate due to becoming obsolete; Not everyone is willing to take this risk.

sure but even so at $2 a month they'll have them paid off in 25 months (at $50 an ip) and ipv4 isn't going anywhere within the next 5 years.

@SirFoxy said:

@Clouvider said:

sure but even so at $2 a month they'll have them paid off in 25 months (at $50 an ip) and ipv4 isn't going anywhere within the next 5 years.

You are incorrectly assuming whole subnet to be fully and continuously utilised for the period of 25 months, and prices not rising.

Thanked by 3Lee ViridWeb vimalware
  • LeeLee Veteran

Some need to realise that running a business is very different from sitting on the sideline throwing out opinions without ever having run a business themselves.

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@Lee said:
    Some need to realise that running a business is very different from sitting on the sideline throwing out opinions without ever having run a business themselves.

And you need to realize that many have successful businesses but think outside the box and find ways to suggest opinions about current affairs regarding said businesses.

• SirFoxySirFoxy Member
    edited July 2021

@Clouvider said:

@SirFoxy said:

@Clouvider said:

You are incorrectly assuming whole subnet to be fully and continuously utilised for the period of 25 months, and prices not rising.

ok so lets say they use half of the ips, at $2 a month they'll have them paid off in 50 months, which ipv4 will surely still be around.

besides the point, hetzners usp is pricing.

edited July 2021

@SirFoxy said:

@Clouvider said:

@SirFoxy said:

@Clouvider said:

ok so lets say they use half of the ips, at $2 a month they'll have them paid off in 50 months, which ipv4 will surely still be around.

50 months is a very long ROI.
    Sure it will be around in 5 years, but will the prices still be going in that direction, or will there be more adoption of v6, with more supply of v4 available for sale pushing prices, and the value of their freshly purchased assed down?

Also, fronting these high amounts requires either financing or diverting money from other things one could spend it on, therefore is simply not free and perhaps they calculated that the loss of some IP hungry Customers unwilling to pay their asking price is simply less than that cost + calculated risk.

I agree Hetzner USP is pricing, I agree it’s probably not the best idea, but - it’s the reality they see and the decision they felt they had to/chose to make. Not something to bash them for. We live in capitalism. You have the privilege of having plenty of choice from diverse competing providers. Vote with your wallet.

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited July 2021

@Clouvider said: Vote with your wallet.

Exactly this. Don't like it find another provider. Really not hard (Well I guess it is for those that won't spend enough). Hetzner is not going to fall, just as cPanel didn't nor did WHMCS.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Clouvider said: You have the privilege of having plenty of choice from diverse competing providers

For now.

Francisco

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • FalzoFalzo Member
    edited August 2021

@Francisco said:

@Clouvider said: You have the privilege of having plenty of choice from diverse competing providers

For now.

Francisco

Thing is, there isn't plenty of choice that provide the same hardware at that price. I would not know a single one competing their AX range which doesn't lack either RAM or the second disk or traffic etc.

Even with the price hike on IPs it won't be that easy to find anything comparable cheaper. Maybe OVH is even the only competitor left and their dedi pricing isn't always cheap, only IPs are. For now.

PS: and because of that lack of alternatives people are pissed, because they realize they have to tank it or go woth another provider that's more likely not even cheaper.

@Falzo said: Thing is, there isn't plenty of choice that provide the same hardware at that price.

And that's why they can't absorb it anymore. One way to look at it is that this only hits those that need the addresses, not everyone else. The people that don't need extra IP's, or their apps and use SRV/etc? They aren't paying a dime extra.

The other option would be they hit everyone with a large price hike, and I'm sure the screaming would be 10x worse.

Is it known if Hetzner has outside investors (VC style) or are they fully self funded?

OVH has a lot of VC, but they'll have stock holders to answer to soon.

There's a good handful of us that have been yelling that providers need to get their asses moving to protect themselves from this happening. I'm a good few years late, but it's still going like I expected.

Francisco

• handyhosthandyhost Member, Host Rep

So the only provider that offers nearly cheap boxes as hetzner is OVH and Online.net in EU region?

• @Francisco said: Is it known if Hetzner has outside investors (VC style) or are they fully self funded?

They are fully self funded, no VCs involved, and they are doing good if you check their reportings from the last years.

Thanked by 2Falzo Hetzner_OL
  • LeeLee Veteran

Not really followed Hetzner financials in a while but Martin Hetzner was always fiercely protective of the company and wanted to keep it private, avoiding VC involvement, he knew what that meant and didn't want it.

Thanked by 2vimalware Hetzner_OL

@OhJohn said:

@Francisco said: Is it known if Hetzner has outside investors (VC style) or are they fully self funded?

They are fully self funded, no VCs involved, and they are doing good if you check their reportings from the last years.

@Lee said:
    Not really followed Hetzner financials in a while but Martin Hetzner was always fiercely protective of the company and wanted to keep it private, avoiding VC involvement, he knew what that meant and didn't want it.

That's awesome.

Just adds to it though, they dont have unlimited cash to do whatever.

Francisco

Thanked by 2iKeyZ Hetzner_OL
  • stefemanstefeman Member
    edited August 2021

No matter how much you guys justify it, over 6000 € just to setup a rented /24 (which is also a seperate fee of over 600€/m) is pure madness. If they did not use drugs when making this kind of decision, it must had been a malicious attempt to ruin the company image by some middle management dude who came up with the idea.

(the above prices are in VAT 24%)

Nobody else has even quarter of these setup fees. You can't find more expensive provider in the entire world when it comes to rented subnet prices right now.

But as said, this is capitalism. The seller will set the prices, but other sellers will also use this chance to win over most of their customers that require subnet(s). These providers will also increase IP prices, but I dare to guarantee that nobody will set such ludicrous setup fees and in addition double their IP renting prices at one go. If you find such provider that follows Hetzner with equally outrageous prices, quote me here. You guys have 3 years. If such a thing happens before 1.8.2024 I will fucking eat my shoe and livestream it.