Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

cociu (HostSolutions) unbanned - Page 9
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

cociu (HostSolutions) unbanned

Comments

• pikepike Veteran
    edited July 2021

@William said:
    As non customer i can also claim to be neutral

What about your dedis with him? And also you are some sort of competitor, even if at another scale.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited July 2021

@pike said: What about your dedis with him?

I am personally no customer with him since way before this happened (i think i had some VPS years ago), and never was directly either - only customers of me that wanted to use him and pay me for either hardware config/management or server management.

No idea where you get that idea from - I tried to find any statement from me that claims so also in the other thread (EDIT: i went through all 106 pages now, i never stated i have any services with him) but cannot find anything. I have servers in Moldova (Trabia, Alexhost, Moldtelecom) and manage some infra for customers in Romania, but they are not selling hosting or related services either.

I am also no customer in any other Romanian DC (unless i forgot, but i cancelled my RO Voxility services years ago and negotiated for EDIS with an entirely different DC before his even existed).

I give you the point that as ISP i cannot be entirely neutral (especially with me selling Moldova servers nearby), but if you want an expert analysis/opinion you will always end up with someone in the same industry writing it. The usual circumvention for this is to provide all source material and get a second opinion on it.

@pike said: And also you are some sort of competitor, even if at another scale.

How exactly? I do not even provide services to the public, only on request, and in a whole different price range (i am by far more expensive than any single provider on LET, in any location, even my cheapest services start at 3 digit EUR/Month).

In total hosting (VMs, dedis and colo, excluding IPs, management and ddos protection) revenue i assume i am actually smaller than him, but my accounting is... complex and not done by myself, considering i have convictions for tax things B)

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited July 2021

Some services are still up. Website is still up. HostSolutions is alive! The end is NOT nigh.

• angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited July 2021

@William said:
    @angstrom said: As for what exactly happened, well, there's no guarantee that a surprise visit would reveal much or anything of substance. Too much time has passed in the meantime, and the evidence has no doubt been tampered with (too many irrelevant fingerprints on the disks in question by now), not to mention that the crucial financial records have probably been burned in @cociu's fireplace.

This is not the point. The point is fear - If people show up to ask questions it shows that you can't get away with everything.

Oh, I didn't understand from your initial post that the point is fear.

Rather, I was simply imagining some friendly investigative reporting.

If the point is fear, perhaps engaging a couple of Romanian mafia guys would be more effective? (But I guess that this would be more costly.)

• boerndboernd Member

nslookup -type=mx hostsolutions.ro
    Server: 192.168.6.1
    Address: 192.168.6.1#53

Non-authoritative answer:
    hostsolutions.ro mail exchanger = 0 _dc-mx.e4feb7d5b9d4.hostsolutions.ro.

nslookup 0 _dc-mx.e4feb7d5b9d4.hostsolutions.ro
    Server: _dc-mx.e4feb7d5b9d4.hostsolutions.ro
    Address: 88.198.25.70#53

whois 88.198.25.70 | grep org-name
    org-name: Hetzner Online GmbH

The mailserver is now hosted at Hetzner, Website probably as well

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@angstrom said: It would probably be (even) cheaper to send a local to visit @cociu

Knock, knock.
    "Hello, I'm Maounique..."

Thanked by 1skorous
  • WilliamWilliam Member
    edited July 2021

@angstrom said: Oh, I didn't understand from your initial post that the point is fear.
    If the point is fear, perhaps engaging a couple of Romanian mafia guys would be more effective? (But I guess that this would be more costly.)

You misinterpret "fear". I have no intention to harm anyone or do anything illegal. I just want to ask questions and the "fear" comes automatically by someone actually going out of their way to do that.

I see journalistic value on this as the entire story is just absurd:

• He has family there and other work, not like he can just exit scam and leave
    • This all makes zero sense, there must be profit in hosting there or value in selling off the hardware
    • Zero communication is just unreal, anyone exit scamming would at least lie some time to get more money

If its just a random ISP disappearing this would be not interesting to me. I see it as a 3 page article with videos and a nice addition to my CV in investigative journalism.

• @default said:
    Some services are still up. Website is still up. HostSolutions is alive! The end is NOT nigh.

No idea if you're a paid a shill or actually stupid.

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited July 2021

@serv_ee said:

@default said:

No idea if you're a paid a shill or actually stupid.

15:55:01 up 103 days, 14:23, 1 user, load average: 0.53, 0.46, 0.41

• defaultdefault Veteran

@angstrom said:

Or better yet: a "mechanic".

• LeviLevi Member

@William said:
    I might just do that. Bored anyway and i can do a trip to Moldova for some server setup after it hmmm

As non customer i can also claim to be neutral, i know Romania (well BUC), and i give zero shit about the outcome, plus its nice video material for YT.

@angstrom said: As for what exactly happened, well, there's no guarantee that a surprise visit would reveal much or anything of substance. Too much time has passed in the meantime, and the evidence has no doubt been tampered with (too many irrelevant fingerprints on the disks in question by now), not to mention that the crucial financial records have probably been burned in @cociu's fireplace.

This is not the point. The point is fear - If people show up to ask questions it shows that you can't get away with everything.

I don't expect to even get access to the DC, but at least we finally get to see what it looks like, i know how DC infra should look like so can figure out power/fiber/HVAC capacity so we can see if there was lies involved, i can get the land owner records and ask his landlord about rent paid etc. (which no doubt will ask him why a 'journalist' comes to ask about him). Also, destroying financial records is a crime so that adds some flavour to it.

I don't care for him in the end, i see journalistic value in the story.

He will not communicate with you. What's the point for him? Situation is beyond any redemption or reasonable explanation. As he is pathological lier, provided information may be another lie.

If you travel to Romania, I hope interview will be your side quest with lowest priority. Good luck.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited July 2021

@LTniger said: He will not communicate with you. What's the point for him? Situation is beyond any redemption or reasonable explanation. As he is pathological lier, provided information may be another lie.

I don't need him. I mainly want to see the DC and go from there - Is anything running in it (noise, heat)? Who owns the ground/building (talk with owner)? Do others in the area know if equipment was moved out lately (balkan people love to talk over coffee/alcohol)? Or construction work was done? What does the court say about this weird debt? And the assigned lawyer? What does local press know/do they have interest in the story (likely, as Romanians scamming EU foreigners is always big news there)? What do the cops know? etc. etc.

As always with journalism you don't trust interviews with the target anyway, they just add to the story.

• dedicatserver_rodedicatserver_ro Member, Host Rep

@William

• You will not find anything in Oradea
    • M247 DC it will not give you relationships or answers
  • Propably overdue the amount of everything, now sell all beside hetzner to get a bit money.

• @dedicatserver_ro said: You will not find anything in Oradea

I know his DC exists. I know where it is and i know the fiber demarc.

@dedicatserver_ro said: M247 DC it will not give you relationships or answers

I did not even intent to ask them.

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

Oh well, let's just wait for a new brand to surface.

• StrypStryp Member
    edited July 2021

@thedp said:
    Oh well, let's just wait for a new brand to surface.

I miss my seedbox.

And my €80.

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@Stryp said: I miss my seedbox.

Tried using HS for a seedbox ages ago and the network was too poor...plus bringing anything home was another sad network experience.

Have since gone with real seedbox providers (PulsedMedia, UltraSeedbox) and been much happier.

@William said:

@angstrom said: Oh, I didn't understand from your initial post that the point is fear.

You misinterpret "fear". I have no intention to harm anyone or do anything illegal. I just want to ask questions and the "fear" comes automatically by someone actually going out of their way to do that.

I think that the "fear factor" has already happened to @cociu, and it concerns/concerned the precarious financial situation of his business.

With all due respect, I somehow doubt that a non-Romanian LET participant (who in addition doesn't speak Romanian) suddenly showing up in Oradea would be able to incite any further "fear" in him.

I see journalistic value on this as the entire story is just absurd:

• He has family there and other work, not like he can just exit scam and leave
    • This all makes zero sense, there must be profit in hosting there or value in selling off the hardware
    • Zero communication is just unreal, anyone exit scamming would at least lie some time to get more money

Re: "absurd". Early in the other (long) thread on this unfortunate situation, I think that @Maounique described well (what seems to be) the psychology of @cociu in this situation, and I would merely add the "shame factor": he's ashamed to come forward, and as more time passes, his sense of shame grows and the more difficult it becomes to come forward and to admit having failed his users/customers (and having failed financially).

If there had been an easy (technical) solution to the problem, I'm sure that he would have come forward with a plan/strategy, but if the basic problem is/was financial, then there is/was no easy (technical) solution to this problem.

In sum, from a certain perspective, the story isn't absurd: it's unfortunate and disappointing, yes, but not absurd.

(Just to be clear, I don't think that @cociu is/was a scammer: he can't/couldn't recover from the hardware catastrophe largely because of his mounting financial issues.)

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @angstrom said: With all due respect, I somehow doubt that a non-Romanian LET participant (who in addition doesn't speak Romanian) suddenly showing up in Oradea would be able to incite any further "fear" in him.

Who says i dont know Romanian...? I was in BUC many times and have friends all over RO and MD, wtf.

@William said:

@angstrom said: With all due respect, I somehow doubt that a non-Romanian LET participant (who in addition doesn't speak Romanian) suddenly showing up in Oradea would be able to incite any further "fear" in him.

Who says i dont know Romanian...? I was in BUC many times and have friends all over RO and MD, wtf.

Okay, fair enough, so let me ask: do you speak Romanian to an extent that would make it feasible for you to try to carry out "fear"-instilling investigative journalism in Romania? (It's a question.)

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@William said: Who says i dont know Romanian...? I was in BUC many times and have friends all over RO and MD, wtf.

I stand by my "William is a part time mercenary".

Francisco

@Francisco said:

@William said: Who says i dont know Romanian...? I was in BUC many times and have friends all over RO and MD, wtf.

I stand by my "William is a part time mercenary".

Sometimes, he certainly sounds like one!

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@angstrom said: Sometimes, he certainly sounds like one!

Right? Guy has 9 passports, armed to the teeth, does deals with Iranian IP addresses, wanted in at least a couple countries.

Francisco

@Francisco said:

Right? Guy has 9 passports, armed to the teeth, does deals with Iranian IP addresses, wanted in at least a couple countries.

By all signs, he's a very unusual guy (in some ways, a bit scary as well).

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • @Francisco said:

Francisco

At this point he should be banned from using the Internet itself IMO. I mean, is he actually in trouble "LEGALLY" :P

• It's not dead until @dahartigan @jsg @Maounique and @default say its dead. So, don't worry - be happy - It's all just a misunderstanding. @jsg is cociu just getting his needed IPs elsewhere along with his drives and his servers. After all it just takes time doesnt it. Since he has 255 IPs working he is not dead yet is he- or because yours and the ones you have "access" to are dead you finally concede he is dead it water and using Paypal to fund chargebacks rather than his own cash?

Thanked by 1dystopia
  • @databoss you're embarrassing yourself boy

• databossdataboss Member
    edited July 2021

@dahartigan so were you - shilling for them on your site. The real thing you should have used as the selling proposition - just as reliable and dependable as hostdoc, woot, alpharacks, etc. with the @dahartigan seal of approval. The thrill of the shill is strong with you, too bad the choices go splat- A LOT.

Thanked by 1corbpie
  • @databoss said:
    @dahartigan so were you - shilling for them on your site

China.