Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

cociu (HostSolutions) unbanned - Page 8
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

cociu (HostSolutions) unbanned

Comments

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited July 2021

@raindog308 said:

@default said: And even if he would know, it would be unethical from him to break the non-disclosure agreement.

You're assuming there was one.

Given Marius' general disorganization, lack of one would not surprise me.

I know, I know, you're desperate to defend HS at all costs and even speculating that HS wasn't completely perfect is viewed as further evidence of evil...

Let's put HostSolutions, and assumptions about me, aside for a moment. How would you consider an employee of a previous company who talks (bad) about the inner aspects of previous employer? You don't have to answer this, just think about it, even if there is no NDA enforced.

And now please note it has nothing to do with HostSolutions. If @MikePT wants to sing like a canary, I am also eyes and ears open with curiosity. It would be the best information from the inside of HostSolutions, unfiltered by gossip and assumptions. But in good conscience, with respect for MyW.pt services, I can not (and will not) ask something like this from Miguel, nor from TerraHost.

The only thing I asked Miguel in the past, was if he got his salary, and he answered - for which I respect him deeply. Period.

EDIT: Forgot the gif.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@default said: How would you consider an employee of a previous company who talks (bad) about the inner aspects of previous employer?

You mean like Stanley Adams, Karen Silkwood, Gregory Minor, Howard Nunn, Joseph Macktal, Mark Whitacre, Jeffrey Wigand, David Franklin, Nancy Oliverieri, Christoph Meili, Aaron Westrick, Cynthia Cooper, Sherron Watkins? Are those the kinds employees of a previous company who talk bad about the inner aspects of previous employers you're thinking of? Because I have no problem with that.

Thanked by 2maverickp dystopia
  • defaultdefault Veteran

@raindog308 said:

@default said: How would you consider an employee of a previous company who talks (bad) about the inner aspects of previous employer?

You mean like Stanley Adams, Karen Silkwood, Gregory Minor, Howard Nunn, Joseph Macktal, Mark Whitacre, Jeffrey Wigand, David Franklin, Nancy Oliverieri, Christoph Meili, Aaron Westrick, Cynthia Cooper, Sherron Watkins? Are those the kinds employees of a previous company who talk bad about the inner aspects of previous employers you're thinking of? Because I have no problem with that.

Good for you. I respect your opinion, even though I think otherwise.

Meanwhile... @MikePT is up to you to decide if you wish to become a whistleblower as this LET moderator recommends.

@default said: Good for you. I respect your opinion, even though I think otherwise.

So you seriously believe that an employee who witnesses illegal behavior by their employer that could result in the general public suffering death, disfigurement, fraud, etc. - or even a widespread nuclear release that would kill millions - must remain silent out of some misguided loyalty? Because that's what you're arguing.

Obviously, HS's problems don't rise to nearly that level, but fraud is still a crime and I think we've entered that territory.

• Cociu be like your sister is in my DMs

• pikepike Veteran

@raindog308 wouldn't you agree that a nuclear release, death etc. are something very different to fraud? It's one thing to become a whistleblower to protect the general public health and wellbeing, but another to tell some people (I'd assume some hundred at max) the reason they lost some money.

Thanked by 1jsg

@pike said: @raindog308 wouldn't you agree that a nuclear release, death etc. are something very different to fraud?

@raindog308 said: Obviously, HS's problems don't rise to nearly that level, but fraud is still a crime

I was mainly replying to @default's premise that even if a company is about to wipe out millions of innocent lives, this pales next to the solemnity of the non-disclosure agreement.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited July 2021

Considering there are infinite pages here and in the other thread, why does nobody collect some cash and just send somebody personally to check it out?

Eg. a flight from Zagreb costs around 150EUR, local travel expenses between Oradea and Bucharest maybe another 150EUR to rent a car and pay friend for driving/translations, 100EUR for food and cigarettes - 400EUR total and we find out what happened?

I have 4 weeks nothing to do anyway, 3 COVID Vaccine doses, 2 Passports and few good RO based friends, road trip? :disappointed:

I also have an iPhone 12 for quality recording, maybe we just make it a series on the LET/LEB Youtube channel ala "Deadpool Investigations - Where are they now? LET Presents: Trip to Romania" ;)

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited July 2021

@raindog308 said:

@pike said: @raindog308 wouldn't you agree that a nuclear release, death etc. are something very different to fraud?

@raindog308 said: Obviously, HS's problems don't rise to nearly that level, but fraud is still a crime

I was mainly replying to @default's premise that even if a company is about to wipe out millions of innocent lives, this pales next to the solemnity of the non-disclosure agreement.

My premise? Where did I ever write something about millions of innocent lives? Where did I create such a comparison between fraud and endangering a life, any life? I did not agree with you and all of a sudden you get to jump into conclusions about me, or about what I think?! Really?!

You may be a moderator, but you have no right to speak for me or on my behalf. You have no right to put words, nor your fist, into my mouth. Once again, you show how evil you are. I hereby dissociate myself for whatever you think (or you may think) about me. From this moment on, I will try to exercise my right to ignore you and your opinions in this community. Please respect my decision.

@default said: Where did I ever write something about millions of innocent lives? Where did I create such a comparison between fraud and endangering a life, any life? I did not agree with you and all of a sudden you get to jump into conclusions about me, or about what I think?! Really?!

Plain black and white, in your complete dismissal ("Good for you...I think otherwise") of any counter-argument to your idea that an NDA trumps all:

@default said: @raindog308 said:You mean like Stanley Adams, Karen Silkwood, Gregory Minor, Howard Nunn, Joseph Macktal, Mark Whitacre, Jeffrey Wigand, David Franklin, Nancy Oliverieri, Christoph Meili, Aaron Westrick, Cynthia Cooper, Sherron Watkins? Are those the kinds employees of a previous company who talk bad about the inner aspects of previous employers you're thinking of? Because I have no problem with that.

• @LTniger said:
    :D the story goes again. There is those who "he is scammer" and there oposing fanatics. Is there any reason why we miss timbo and zedong from this discussion?

What else do you want me to say, "I told you all this would happen”? It took longer than I thought it would, but I've been saying this has been inevitable since I started posting on LET years ago.

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited July 2021

@raindog308 said:

@default said: Where did I ever write something about millions of innocent lives? Where did I create such a comparison between fraud and endangering a life, any life? I did not agree with you and all of a sudden you get to jump into conclusions about me, or about what I think?! Really?!

Plain black and white, in your complete dismissal ("Good for you...I think otherwise") of any counter-argument to your idea that an NDA trumps all:

@default said: @raindog308 said:You mean like Stanley Adams, Karen Silkwood, Gregory Minor, Howard Nunn, Joseph Macktal, Mark Whitacre, Jeffrey Wigand, David Franklin, Nancy Oliverieri, Christoph Meili, Aaron Westrick, Cynthia Cooper, Sherron Watkins? Are those the kinds employees of a previous company who talk bad about the inner aspects of previous employers you're thinking of? Because I have no problem with that.

Please show me where I implied that NDA trumps all? The discussion was about MikePT and a hosting company where he worked for with dignity. You, in your twisted little mind, blew things out of proportion into nuclear wars and endangering lives. You have a problem, not me, so stop relating this "premise" to me, because this was all you.

I refuse to take part into your comparisons, because I refuse to go down at such level, where you wish to compel me with your intelligence and generalized arguments of something which is only in your mind.

Again: I separate myself from your thinking and your premises.

If MikePT wants to be a whistleblower, it will be his decision, and I will respect that. But this is his decision to make.

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • drizbodrizbo Member
    edited July 2021

Delete

@default said: Again: I separate myself from your thinking and your premises.

Dude, it's your premise. No one else, presented with a list of famous whistleblower cases involving a list of horrors would dismiss them all so cavalierly.

The reality is that you'd never heard of any of them because you're in middle school and the entire concept of a whistleblower is foreign to you. You'd never heard the term "whistleblower" before today.

@default said: whistleblower

The appropriate thing for you to do now is thank me for expanding your vocabulary.

Then you can go back to desperately defending @cociu.

Thanked by 3zed maverickp skorous
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited July 2021

@raindog308

Well, not everybody telling about evil/illegal/bad things is a whistleblower and in quite a few environments "whistleblowing" might get one a bullet into the head to provide an extreme example.

In the end it's a complex question centered around the balance of multiple legal elements, e.g. gravity of what the whistle is blown about vs the weight of the concerned entities right to discretion. "Blowing the whistle" on say what one perceives as offensive connotations is different from "blowing the whistle" on say frequent gang rape plus evidently the right to expect discretion is very different from say a LEA vs. ones neighbour.

Plus you made a premise error by assuming that there actually was something to blow the whistle on. That's not to say there wasn't but that you do not know with sufficient certainty. While I presume that ignorance and a grave lack of care played a major role in the involucration there are also factors clearly outside of cociu's responsibility like e.g. the sudden Chia "burst" that dramatically changed prices "over night".

Besides, at least in Europe (don't know about NA) there is no need for an NDA for reasonable and common expectations; an NDA is only needed if one party gets access to information that isn't based on what is available within the frame of the relationship. Example: if I work as an engineer for some company then that company can reasonably expect (without NDA) that information I can access as an employed or hired engineer is being treated as confidential. If otoh I'm in no relation with a company but want to get some confidential information that would be provided under NDA (or not at all).

@MikePT was in a business relationship with HS and HS can reasonably expect (without any NDA) that internal information he may have got on HS is being treated as confidential, unless it were criminally relevant in which case he still were not allow to "blow the whistle" but rather were expected to contact a relevant LEA.

Btw whistleblowing usually means to make information public as a last resort because e.g. LEA could not be trusted. This is obviously not applicable in the HS case.

Thanked by 1default
  • @jsg said: Btw whistleblowing usually means to make information public as a last resort because e.g. LEA could not be trusted

I'd argue Romanian law enforcement is absolutely useless. As foreigner you have - same as here - practically zero chance to win any case as the system is absurdly complex and corrupt.

Thanked by 2default tux
  • defaultdefault Veteran
    edited July 2021

@raindog308 said:

The appropriate thing for you to do now is thank me for expanding your vocabulary.

Thank you teacher. This lesson of knowledge, history, and literacy into the complexities of such English word, has proven extremely useful in enriching my mind:

1. at vocabulary level: I finally used an English word I never used on LET before.
    2. at personality level: I learned to respect the balance between sacrificing dignity and integrity for the well-being of humanity.
    3. at memory level: I learned about so many people (searched online) who spoke about the wrongdoings of companies where they worked for, in order to save human lives in the bigger picture.
    4. at cognitive level: My neuron (because it's just one) is more active and also a bit tired now.

Please teacher, with all due respect, may I sit down? I honestly think I am not fit for this advanced class. I want to go to the park and play with some servers from @cociu now.

• AlwaysSkintAlwaysSkint Member
    edited July 2021

^ .. expecting something similar, for my "teachings".

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@William said: Considering there are infinite pages here and in the other thread, why does nobody collect some cash and just send somebody personally to check it out?

Eg. a flight from Zagreb costs around 150EUR, local travel expenses between Oradea and Bucharest maybe another 150EUR to rent a car and pay friend for driving/translations, 100EUR for food and cigarettes - 400EUR total and we find out what happened?

It would probably be (even) cheaper to send a local to visit @cociu, but in any case, I strongly suspect that if there were even a tiny bit of good news on the horizon, we would have heard it by now.

As for what exactly happened, well, there's no guarantee that a surprise visit would reveal much or anything of substance. Too much time has passed in the meantime, and the evidence has no doubt been tampered with (too many irrelevant fingerprints on the disks in question by now), not to mention that the crucial financial records have probably been burned in @cociu's fireplace.

Perhaps one day, @cociu will emerge to tell the story as only he can.

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • LeviLevi Member

@angstrom said:

@William said: Considering there are infinite pages here and in the other thread, why does nobody collect some cash and just send somebody personally to check it out?

It would probably be (even) cheaper to send a local to visit @cociu, but in any case, I strongly suspect that if there were even a tiny bit of good news on the horizon, we would have heard it by now.

As for what exactly happened, well, there's no guarantee that a surprise visit would reveal much or anything of substance. Too much time has passed in the meantime, and the evidence has no doubt been tampered with (too many irrelevant fingerprints on the disks in question by now), not to mention that the crucial financial records have probably been burned in @cociu's fireplace.

Perhaps one day, @cociu will emerge to tell the story as only he can.

It is highly unlikely that he will ever show up. Money from sold hardware and IPs will make his summer nice. After the summer he eventually will have to resort to another scam operation or just completely fade out.

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • defaultdefault Veteran

Thanked by 2webcraft TimboJones
  • @angstrom said: a tiny bit of good news

The latest news is that his AS stopped announcing all subnets but the Norwegian one. It's not good news per se, but it's clear what way he's heading.

Thanked by 2angstrom tux
  • angstromangstrom Moderator

@debaser said:

@angstrom said: a tiny bit of good news

The latest news is that his AS stopped announcing all subnets but the Norwegian one. It's not good news per se, but it's clear what way he's heading.

Yes, good to know, but not good news per se

• maybe @cociu is sick? like hotlineservers kind of sick?

• @debaser said:

I couldn't quite understand the discussions here due to my lack of hands-on experience with BGP, but I realized that the conversations on the "other green forum" was on-point:
    https://talk.lowendspirit.com/discussion/2925/cociu-hostsolutions-ro-netsilvania-bankruptcy-dead-pool/p18#Comment_67762

Anyway, cociu is down to a single subnet and it's even been updated on bgp.he.net, so a noob like me can finally get it:
    https://bgp.he.net/AS44220#_prefixes

Jokes on the people who were arguing that HostSolutions was gonna come back :joy:

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@debaser said:

Yep, that's all that's left it seems.

• hxufhxuf Member

My 1TB vps has been offline for a long time. Another Monday passed.

• Almost zero uptime within 60 days..

Thanked by 2mikewazar tux
  • boerndboernd Member

@William said:
    Considering there are infinite pages here and in the other thread, why does nobody collect some cash and just send somebody personally to check it out?

I have 4 weeks nothing to do anyway, 3 COVID Vaccine doses, 2 Passports and few good RO based friends, road trip? :disappointed:

I also have an iPhone 12 for quality recording, maybe we just make it a series on the LET/LEB Youtube channel ala "Deadpool Investigations - Where are they now? LET Presents: Trip to Romania" ;)

You should create a GoFundMe, I think 400 can be easily reached for this investigation

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited July 2021

I might just do that. Bored anyway and i can do a trip to Moldova for some server setup after it hmmm

As non customer i can also claim to be neutral, i know Romania (well BUC), and i give zero shit about the outcome, plus its nice video material for YT.

@angstrom said: As for what exactly happened, well, there's no guarantee that a surprise visit would reveal much or anything of substance. Too much time has passed in the meantime, and the evidence has no doubt been tampered with (too many irrelevant fingerprints on the disks in question by now), not to mention that the crucial financial records have probably been burned in @cociu's fireplace.

This is not the point. The point is fear - If people show up to ask questions it shows that you can't get away with everything.

I don't expect to even get access to the DC, but at least we finally get to see what it looks like, i know how DC infra should look like so can figure out power/fiber/HVAC capacity so we can see if there was lies involved, i can get the land owner records and ask his landlord about rent paid etc. (which no doubt will ask him why a 'journalist' comes to ask about him). Also, destroying financial records is a crime so that adds some flavour to it.

I don't care for him in the end, i see journalistic value in the story.

Thanked by 4Levi alexvolk Kassem tux