Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hotlineservers are down - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hotlineservers are down

Comments

• Now everything is down except chicago. This seems fishy

• @Francisco Karen is saying I am banned from buying services because I made a chargeback for an old service. However please review the old tickets and you will see that I didn't initiate that chargeback and it was my bank. When this happened, I immediately paid for the service using the credit card method. I literally dealt with Karen on this last time and we worked through it together. She has now banned my ip so I cant respond :/

• Mine went down as well.
    This is not looking good.

• @stephfd21 said:
    Now everything is down except chicago. This seems fishy

damn! almost all are down at the end of month?
    It looks really bad.

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

Just wait for the comms.

• ifykoifyko Member

someone forgot to pay his bills

• Oh god :(

• Came here because I noticed my VPSes went down, probably 2, 3 hours ago on NYC nodes. Disconcerting to know the issue is widespread.

• I will add that 2 weeks ago Brian told me via ticket:

We will be moving to our own hardware next month in a different data center. So hopefully the issues with downtime will stop.

Side question: When did hotlineservers start offering dedicated servers?

• @lowending said:
    I will add that 2 weeks ago Brian told me via ticket:

We will be moving to our own hardware next month in a different data center. So hopefully the issues with downtime will stop.

Brian told me that months go

• @stephfd21 said:

@lowending said:

Good to be specific here, did he tell you that months ago, they would be migrating next month? Or simply that they would be moving. In April, he told me:

This is why we are going to be migrating to our own hardware over the next few months.

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

He's had health/medical issues in the past, so first, before anything else, let's just pray that he's alright.

• @thedp said:
    He's had health/medical issues in the past, so first, before anything else, let's just pray that he's alright.

True, however he was online a couple days ago

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • @lowending said:

@stephfd21 said:

@lowending said:

Good to be specific here, did he tell you that months ago, they would be migrating next month? Or simply that they would be moving. In April, he told me:

This is why we are going to be migrating to our own hardware over the next few months.

next few months*

• brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate

• terrahostterrahost Member, Patron Provider
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

I've been summoned.

The end is nigh.

Thanked by 2gazmull suyadi92
  • dustincdustinc Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

@thedp said:

I too hope he's alright.

• Does anyone know how to get onto him or know a relative? I'm about to cry

• Chicago is the only node that is still live, that has been migrated to their own hardware in https://hotlineservers.com/index.php?rp=/announcements/43/Chicago-kvm-hardware-migration.html

So potentially, it could be an issue with their currently leased servers and migration since my info and @stephfd21 lines up and thus have 2 points supporting this notion. However, it would be absolutely inexcusable to go AWOL and for us to have to speculate on the reason for this major outage.

Server providers are primarily B2B, and their clients have their own businesses and customers they have to answer to. I hope Brian is well, and if he is he needs to respond yesterday.

I would say to Brian's defence though, I've been using @hotlineservers since March and while it has had some teething problems, I've been generally satistied with the service and it's out of character for him to go silent since he has been responsive, helpful and transparent in my dealings with him (At least till now anyway). This is a guy that didn't deadpool when he wanted to discontinue his business, and (at least from a third party viewer at the time)- tried to ease the process of exiting for his customers.

Besides looking for new server providers and preparing for the worst, I'm aware of the datacenter leased from. I won't say who out of respect for the business- but that could be an avenue to shed more light to this situation.

• @stephfd21 said:
    Does anyone know how to get onto him or know a relative? I'm about to cry

No backups?

• @lowending said:

@stephfd21 said:

No backups?

No, I deleted all my old backups and was actually in the process of taking new backups while the server went down as I had just remodel my business with directadmin's api. You are right though, Brian isn't the type of guy to go AWOL. This isn't my 1st downtime issue with hotline and I only made it an issue due to the none response. My intention is not to take my data and leave but the feeling of abandonment is pushing me towards that route. Brian's account was logged in on the 26th so it seems really weird that he wouldn't be here 2-3 days later.

• @stephfd21 said:

@lowending said:

@stephfd21 said:

No backups?

No, I deleted all my old backups and was actually in the process of taking new backups while the server went down as I had just remodel my business with directadmin's api. You are right though, Brian isn't the type of guy to go AWOL. This isn't my 1st downtime issue with hotline and I only made it an issue due to the none response. My intention is not to take my data and leave but the feeling of abandonment is pushing me towards that route. Brian's account was logged in on the 26th so it seems really weird that he wouldn't be here 2-3 days later.

That sucks. For your sake I hope @hotlineservers comes back soon.

• @stephfd21 said:

@TimboJones said:

@stephfd21 said:

@seriesn said:
    Hopefully @hotlineservers is healthy. I know he was going through some health issue :(

Yea I hope he's okay as well. I'm currently stuck in limbo because I don't wanna find a new provider but at the same time, my clients need some type of update.

Then you really need to use a bigger provider... without health issues.

You also should use a provider with established response times since you find 6 hours unacceptable. Under 6 hours is NOT something you can just assume from a LET provider.

Any reccomendations?

Rackspace. You get competent people on the phone.

• I'm worried now. everything seems to be down. even chicago and the main website

• @stephfd21 said:

@d3rpy said:

@TimboJones said:

@stephfd21 said:

@seriesn said:
    Hopefully @hotlineservers is healthy. I know he was going through some health issue :(

Yea I hope he's okay as well. I'm currently stuck in limbo because I don't wanna find a new provider but at the same time, my clients need some type of update.

You also should use a provider with established response times since you find 6 hours unacceptable. Under 6 hours is NOT something you can just assume from a LET provider.

To be fair, I created a ticket a few days ago and his responses were quite fast. All under 60 minutes, some even in just a few minutes.

But you are right, if support is important you are better up with something more expensive.

I don't mind waiting for support for regular queries but this isn't regular and it isn't the first time either. The last outage was roughly 7 hours but I at least received some type of indication on what the issue was and what they were doing to resolve it. How is it that low end providers can be alert and responsive when we enquire about buying from them but then we gotta wait half a day for an issue that's not on our end?

You're asking if a 20 second response to increase revenue is same effort as searching, diagnosing and fixing a problem?

• @stephfd21 said:
    I guess we're about to hit a 24 hour downtime. I'm so effed as I do weekly backups instead of daily. Ugh, I just need this to be up so I can get my data.

Why weekly? If your data changes daily and doesn't have any copy (ie, paper copies), you may need to be doing backups even more often than daily.

People with company accounting databases gets backed up hourly during office hours.

You got to back up according to how often it changes and how difficult it is to recover from the lost data.

• @stephfd21 said:
    I'm worried now. everything seems to be down. even chicago and the main website

GG.

• @TimboJones said:

@stephfd21 said:

@d3rpy said:

@TimboJones said:

@stephfd21 said:

@seriesn said:

To be fair, I created a ticket a few days ago and his responses were quite fast. All under 60 minutes, some even in just a few minutes.

But you are right, if support is important you are better up with something more expensive.

I don't mind waiting for support for regular queries but this isn't regular and it isn't the first time either. The last outage was roughly 7 hours but I at least received some type of indication on what the issue was and what they were doing to resolve it. How is it that low end providers can be alert and responsive when we enquire about buying from them but then we gotta wait half a day for an issue that's not on our end?

You're asking if a 20 second response to increase revenue is same effort as searching, diagnosing and fixing a problem?

No I'm saying its common courtesy to respond and advise what the issue is and a timeframe to rectify.