Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Black Friday 2020 - NVMe and Storage deals - deploy worldwide - Page 131
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Black Friday 2020 - NVMe and Storage deals - deploy worldwide

Comments

• @Daniel15 said:
    I had a few VPSes restart while I was going through the installer. What happened was that I clicked the 'start' button, but the VPS didn't start even after waiting a minute. I clicked 'start' again and it started, but then after a while it rebooted itself. I wonder if clicking 'start' twice caused that to happen? The HostHatch VPSes themselves are very good but booting/rebooting in the control panels seems very buggy. Also sometimes VNC won't connect until I shut down and restart the VPS.

I think I had fewer issues with Debian 10 than Ubuntu, but I still need it for my use case :'(. Mine literally crashes. Maybe the ISO is faulty?! I've uploaded a new Ubuntu ISO and will report back if it has improved my situation.

I first downloaded the official ISO on the same VPS I want it to be installed on to avoid any disruption during the upload process and uploaded it via that server. On some server I can't delete the old ISO because it's throwing back an error.

When working with the control panel I found this approach the most reliable:

Shutdown -> Reload twice -> Restart -> Wait 15-30 sec -> Reload twice
    You always have to reload at least twice to show its latest status. I still hope they improve that tho

@Daniel15 said:
    Hmm, IOPS for 4k block size seem fine, but the read/write speeds with the larger block sizes seem a bit low for NVMe. I'm actually seeing better speeds on my 2TB storage VPS.

Unfortunately that was my observation as well. I'm not one of those persons who gets off to high benchmarks but in this case the 'throttled' disk speed is noticeable for me.

@Daniel15 said:

You can get the 4GB RAM / 80GB NVMe for $70/year if you pay for two years at a time... That's what I did since I also missed the BF sale.

I needed more dedicated CPU cores and disk space so 1 dedicated core was simply not sufficient but thanks for pointing out the 2 year discount. If my current issues get fixed I considered getting more. Their server are otherwise really great!

@FrankZ said:

I use sshfs with hosthatch Chicago and get around 640 Mb/s up/down over the private network. I've had no issue with drops.

That's absolutely insane :o . Are both NVMe?

@ferri said:
    @SP7

Here's mine.

Well, maybe you need to open a ticket or wait for @hosthatch to respond here

Thu Dec 31 03:41:40 GMT 2020

Basic System Information:
    ---------------------------------
    Processor  : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2690 0 @ 2.90GHz
    CPU cores  : 3 @ 2899.998 MHz
    AES-NI     : ✔ Enabled
    VM-x/AMD-V : ❌ Disabled
    RAM        : 15.6 GiB
    Swap       : 1024.0 MiB
    Disk       : 77.8 GiB

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):
    Block Size | 4k            (IOPS) | 64k           (IOPS)
      ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ---- 
    Read       | 150.78 MB/s  (37.6k) | 1.23 GB/s    (19.3k)
    Write      | 151.18 MB/s  (37.7k) | 1.24 GB/s    (19.4k)
    Total      | 301.96 MB/s  (75.4k) | 2.48 GB/s    (38.7k)
               |                      |                     
    Block Size | 512k          (IOPS) | 1m            (IOPS)
    Read       | 2.23 GB/s     (4.3k) | 2.30 GB/s     (2.2k)
    Write      | 2.35 GB/s     (4.5k) | 2.45 GB/s     (2.3k)
    Total      | 4.58 GB/s     (8.9k) | 4.75 GB/s     (4.6k)

Oh yeah. That looks more like it :love:

@Razza said:

@SP7 said:

@Razza said:
    @Daniel15 said:

Does anyone else find that HostHatch VPSes kick them out of SSH relatively frequently, even when the connection isn't idle? I'm connected to a bunch of VPSes via SSH at the moment yet just the HostHatch ones sporadically throw an error like "Connection reset by 2605:4840:xxxxxx port 22". I enabled keepalive in my client-side SSH config (ServerAliveInterval 60) and it didn't help. I guess I should probably install Eternal Terminal or mosh.

How frequently and what location dose it happen it in, I've not noticed it even on ssh session idle for over 2 hour didn't drop.

How does your SSH session stay alive for over 2 hour idle? I doubt that this is common.
    Have you changed ClientAliveInterval and ClientAliveCountMax in your ssh settings?

Majority of my server are located in Stockholm and I can confirm this exact issue that Daniel15 is having.

I quite regularly leave ssh open idle for some time without issues, my server is in Amsterdam will try test my server in other locations later to see how long the ssh session stays open for.

I haven't changed ClientAliveInterval and ClientAliveCountMax.

Guess I was wrong then. Thanks for clarifying mate :)

• Hope my HK box be deliveried on time (today) :D

• @SP7 said:

Why are you assuming that I'm mixing them up?

He assumes this because it's not standard to abbreviate "megabytes per second" as mb/s. When written that way, with lowercase characters, the writer typically means "megabits per second".

• If anyone has a cheap Hong Kong VPS they don't end up using, let me know... I'd like to use it on https://dnstools.ws/ to replace the provider I currently use in Hong Kong. I missed out on all the Hong Kong VPSes during the sales, unfortunately :(

@qmesso said:
    Has anyone received vps in Warsaw in the promotion of BF? In CP I have information from December 16th finalising.. :/

I got my Warsaw VPS from the 10x location bundle.

• Thanks for the info, I'll wait until next week, then open the ticket

• @SP7 said:

@TimboJones said:

@SP7 said:
    My other question is whether this is normal NVMe I/O speed? Benchmark below

Processor : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2690 0 @ 2.90GHz
    CPU cores : 4 @ 2899.998 MHz
    AES-NI : ✔ Enabled
    RAM : 62.9 GiB
    Swap : 512.0 MiB
    Disk : 314.7 GiB

Block Size 4k (IOPS) 64k (IOPS)
    Read 136.13 MB/s (34.0k) 190.25 MB/s (2.9k)
    Write 136.49 MB/s (34.1k) 191.25 MB/s (2.9k)
    Total 272.62 MB/s (68.1k) 381.50 MB/s (5.9k)
    Block Size 512k (IOPS) 1m (IOPS)
    ------ --- ---- ---- ----
    Read 204.49 MB/s (399) 200.72 MB/s (196)
    Write 215.35 MB/s (420) 214.09 MB/s (209)
    Total 419.84 MB/s (819) 414.82 MB/s (405)

I've done multiple benchmarks, I/O tests etc. and they are all around 200mb/s +/- 50mb write and read speed each. It really is bottlenecking my entire system when I download anything with over 150mb/s or/and do any kind of processing simultaneously.

You are mixing up units. The disk speed tests are Megabytes and the bandwidth tests are Megabits.

I'd also look at your CPU more than the disk. I don't think the disk is your bottleneck with those 4k numbers.

???

Why are you assuming that I'm mixing them up? My download speed is around 2.5 Gbit which is around 300mb/s.

Because "mb/s" isn't correct as I previously pointed out.

• @TimboJones said:

@SP7 said:

@TimboJones said:

@SP7 said:
    My other question is whether this is normal NVMe I/O speed? Benchmark below

Processor : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2690 0 @ 2.90GHz
    CPU cores : 4 @ 2899.998 MHz
    AES-NI : ✔ Enabled
    RAM : 62.9 GiB
    Swap : 512.0 MiB
    Disk : 314.7 GiB

Block Size 4k (IOPS) 64k (IOPS)
    Read 136.13 MB/s (34.0k) 190.25 MB/s (2.9k)
    Write 136.49 MB/s (34.1k) 191.25 MB/s (2.9k)
    Total 272.62 MB/s (68.1k) 381.50 MB/s (5.9k)
    Block Size 512k (IOPS) 1m (IOPS)
    ------ --- ---- ---- ----
    Read 204.49 MB/s (399) 200.72 MB/s (196)
    Write 215.35 MB/s (420) 214.09 MB/s (209)
    Total 419.84 MB/s (819) 414.82 MB/s (405)

I've done multiple benchmarks, I/O tests etc. and they are all around 200mb/s +/- 50mb write and read speed each. It really is bottlenecking my entire system when I download anything with over 150mb/s or/and do any kind of processing simultaneously.

You are mixing up units. The disk speed tests are Megabytes and the bandwidth tests are Megabits.

I'd also look at your CPU more than the disk. I don't think the disk is your bottleneck with those 4k numbers.

???

Why are you assuming that I'm mixing them up? My download speed is around 2.5 Gbit which is around 300mb/s.

Because "mb/s" isn't correct as I previously pointed out.

Thanks for pointing out.

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • PandoGulfPandoGulf Veteran
    edited December 2020

@sonic said:
    Hope my HK box be deliveried on time (today) :D

I hope so but doubt it.
    Same for Sydney, Milan and Madrid still pending.

Maybe they're on vacation or busy provisioning these new servers, I've a tkt pending for 3 days with no update!

• @PandoGulf said:

@sonic said:
    Hope my HK box be deliveried on time (today) :D

I hope so but doubt it.
    Same for Sydney, Milan and Madrid still pending.

Maybe they're on vacation or busy provisioning these new servers, I've a tkt pending for 3 days with no update!

Thanks for the update, the relative lack of noise here made me wonder if it was just mine that slipped through the cracks.

• Still waiting for my HK server :D
    Hope they don't delay too much

• Happy new year!

Anyone still waiting for their servers to be deployed? :D

• Yeah, but it's New Year's Eve and I'll understand if they are a little late! Happy New Year everyone!

Thanked by 1DP
  • DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

Happy New Year, Happy New Locations. :)

• IPv6 in Sydney does not work

Anyone have same issue???

FYI, this thread/discussion is currently bugged.

If you've not noticed, any comments posted (from god knows when) doesn't bump the discussion hence it will not be seen as unread.

• All nodes have 10 GbE public + 10 GbE private with jumbo frames.

Does anyone know if I need to manually adjust the MTU to take advantage of "jumbo frames"? All my interfaces are just using the default 1500 MTU.

• SP7SP7 Member

@Daniel15 said:

All nodes have 10 GbE public + 10 GbE private with jumbo frames.

Does anyone know if I need to manually adjust the MTU to take advantage of "jumbo frames"? All my interfaces are just using the default 1500 MTU.

I set all my interfaces manually to MTU 9000, but I'm not sure if it's doing anything.
    Don't forget to set 'tcp_mtu_probing = 1' in '/etc/sysctl.conf' to avoid MTU black holes.

• @edoarudo5 said:

> > > 2TB - LON/STO/CHI
    > > > 1x 2.4+ GHz
    > > > 2 GB RAM
    > > > 2 TB disk
    > > > 6 TB bandwidth/month (in+out)
    > > > $90 per 2 years
    > > > https://manage.hosthatch.com/billing/order/2tb-chi
    > > > https://manage.hosthatch.com/billing/order/2tb-sto
    > > > https://manage.hosthatch.com/billing/order/2tb-lon
    > > > 

I'm surprised this deal isn't sold out yet! Great value! Even if @hosthatch said it isn't as great of a deal as the original BF storage deals. I wish I had more money to buy more. LOL. Looking forward for the HK VPS I ordered on the 31st.

DANG! Teach me for not looking till today. I have the older version of this (from 2018?). Its been super reliable: 2x 3.0Ghz, 2.5GB Ram, 2.5TB HDD, 6TB Bandwidth, AMS - $84/y

Would have picked up another one :)

• What happen to the 31st december dateline @hosthatch ?

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • SP7SP7 Member

I would like too know too. Is the whole crew in vacation?

• @SP7 said:

It will be a well deserved vacation for them. Let things be

@vyas11 said:

@SP7 said:

Probably still busy with the BF and Christmas orders.

• SP7SP7 Member

@vyas11 said:

@SP7 said:

Did my post look look like I was begging for something for free? It was simply a question since there has been no status update from them. Neither here or via email or support ticket. I paid for it and it has been promised on 31st of December, it's my right to ask no? Besides that, I'm having issues on some of my server you make it sound like it's okay for them all to go to on vacation in a 24/7 business.

A simple update is more than sufficient. Jeez, as if I'm asking for world peace.

• vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited January 2021

@SP7 said:

@vyas11 said:

@SP7 said:

Did my post look look like I was begging for something for free? It was simply a question since there has been no status update from them. Neither here or via email or support ticket. I paid for it and it has been promised on 31st of December, it's my right to ask no? Besides that, I'm having issues on some of my server you make it sound like it's okay for them all to go to on vacation in a 24/7 business.

A simple update is more than sufficient. Jeez, as if I'm asking for world peace.

Stop PMs’ing mate, I am waiting for the HK VPS to get activated as well. To beg or not is your perogative. Or you can raise a ticket.
    Or ask for a refund from @hosthatch

Or breathe and focus on other things in life, which is what I choose to do.

• @Daniel15 said:

All nodes have 10 GbE public + 10 GbE private with jumbo frames.

Yes, as confirmed by ifconfig.

Thanked by 1skorous
  • SP7SP7 Member

@vyas11 said:

@SP7 said:

@vyas11 said:

@SP7 said:

Stop PMs’ing mate, I am waiting for the HK VPS to get activated as well. To beg or not is your perogative. Or you can raise a ticket.
    Or ask for a refund from @hosthatch

Or breathe and focus on other things in life, which is what I choose to do.

What kind of attitude is that? I literally asked a question and you come along and think you're the cool boy outta some hood. I'm overall pleased with their service and was just wondering what the current status is. How else do you handle such situations in real life? Deadline is over so you ask what's up. Jesus Christ. Get your head straight mate.

I did submit a ticket and the last response has been well over a week ago. The issue I have is preventing me from continuing my work.

Get your priorities straight and spend more time with your kids than trash talking some randoms.

• @snt said:
    What happen to the 31st december dateline @hosthatch ?

Most likely it has been extended.

• @JohnFilch123 said:

@snt said:
    What happen to the 31st december dateline @hosthatch ?

Most likely it has been extended.

They sounded so confident that they could make the 31st december dateline and now it has passed with no updates at all.. seriously @hosthatch ??? Wonder what is the excuse for this.

Thanked by 2PandoGulf webcraft
  • Hongkong 8G BF special:

# ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #
    #              Yet-Another-Bench-Script              #
    #                     v2020-12-29                    #
    # https://github.com/masonr/yet-another-bench-script #
    # ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #

Sun 03 Jan 2021 01:09:07 AM UTC

Processor  : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2690 v2 @ 3.00GHz
    CPU cores  : 2 @ 2999.998 MHz
    AES-NI     : ✔ Enabled
    RAM        : 7.8 GiB
    Swap       : 1024.0 MiB
    Disk       : 38.4 GiB

Block Size | 4k            (IOPS) | 64k           (IOPS)
    Read       | 202.94 MB/s  (50.7k) | 2.70 GB/s    (42.2k)
    Write      | 203.48 MB/s  (50.8k) | 2.71 GB/s    (42.4k)
    Total      | 406.42 MB/s (101.6k) | 5.41 GB/s    (84.6k)
               |                      |
    Block Size | 512k          (IOPS) | 1m            (IOPS)
    Read       | 3.56 GB/s     (6.9k) | 3.50 GB/s     (3.4k)
    Write      | 3.75 GB/s     (7.3k) | 3.73 GB/s     (3.6k)
    Total      | 7.31 GB/s    (14.2k) | 7.24 GB/s     (7.0k)

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv4):
    Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed
                    |                           |                 |
    Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 477 Mbits/sec   | 89.0 Mbits/sec
    Online.net      | Paris, FR (10G)           | 620 Mbits/sec   | 269 Mbits/sec
    WorldStream     | The Netherlands (10G)     | 591 Mbits/sec   | 249 Mbits/sec
    Biznet          | Jakarta, Indonesia (1G)   | 39.4 Mbits/sec  | 536 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 596 Mbits/sec   | 409 Mbits/sec
    Velocity Online | Tallahassee, FL, US (10G) | 30.0 Mbits/sec  | 251 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | busy            | busy
    Iveloz Telecom  | Sao Paulo, BR (2G)        | busy            | busy

Geekbench 5 Benchmark Test:
    Test            | Value
                    |
    Single Core     | 644
    Multi Core      | 1321

Thanks @hosthatch.

Thanked by 1RedSox
  • Wow! My HK VPS has just been provisioned (no email - saw it on the billing portal). Thanks!