Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Black Friday 2020 - NVMe and Storage deals - deploy worldwide - Page 130
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Black Friday 2020 - NVMe and Storage deals - deploy worldwide

Comments

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@ravenchad said:

@edoarudo5 said:

> > > > 2TB - LON/STO/CHI
    > > > > 1x 2.4+ GHz
    > > > > 2 GB RAM
    > > > > 2 TB disk
    > > > > 6 TB bandwidth/month (in+out)
    > > > > $90 per 2 years
    > > > > https://manage.hosthatch.com/billing/order/2tb-chi
    > > > > https://manage.hosthatch.com/billing/order/2tb-sto
    > > > > https://manage.hosthatch.com/billing/order/2tb-lon
    > > > > 

I'm surprised this deal isn't sold out yet! Great value! Even if @hosthatch said it isn't as great of a deal as the original BF storage deals. I wish I had more money to buy more. LOL. Looking forward for the HK VPS I ordered on the 31st.

among the 3 loc, which one is better for singapore?

I'd say London, UK.

Thanked by 1ravenchad
  • edited December 2020

@thedp said:

@ravenchad said:

@edoarudo5 said:
    I'm surprised this deal isn't sold out yet! Great value! Even if @hosthatch said it isn't as great of a deal as the original BF storage deals. I wish I had more money to buy more. LOL. Looking forward for the HK VPS I ordered on the 31st.

among the 3 loc, which one is better for singapore?

I'd say London, UK.

Among the 3 location, UK is the lowest latency from Indonesia, around 180 ms, while AMS & CHI are around 195-210 ms, STO around 220 ms.. very interesting..

Thanked by 1ravenchad
  • @ravenchad said: which one is better for singapore?

In terms of ping time, they all seem fairly similar:

https://dnstools.ws/ping/193.29.62.40/?workers=sg (Chicago)
    https://dnstools.ws/ping/176.126.70.17/?workers=sg (Stockholm)
    https://dnstools.ws/ping/45.91.93.93/?workers=sg (London)

In terms of download speeds, you'd likely want to test it from within Singapore. The looking glasses (@the_doctor linked to above) have 100MB and 1000MB download links for testing.

Thanked by 1ravenchad
  • @Daniel15 said:

@ravenchad said: which one is better for singapore?

In terms of download speeds, you'd likely want to test it from within Singapore. The looking glasses (@the_doctor linked to above) have 100MB and 1000MB download links for testing.

Thanks guys , its interesting. STK have the lowest ping..I've also thought UK is better.

London
    210.6ms 11.4ms

Stockholm
    195ms 0ms

Chicago
    206ms 0ms

@ravenchad said:

@Daniel15 said:

Thanks guys , its interesting. STK have the lowest ping..I've also thought UK is better.

London
    210.6ms 11.4ms

Stockholm
    195ms 0ms

Chicago
    206ms 0ms

Remember, it can change any time :)

Thanked by 1ravenchad
  • Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited December 2020

@thedp said:

@ravenchad said:

@Daniel15 said:

London
    210.6ms 11.4ms

Stockholm
    195ms 0ms

Chicago
    206ms 0ms

Remember, it can change any time :)

It can also differ a little bit for residential connections vs data center connections, particularly when some carriers peer directly with your ISP. Measuring ping from data centers is the best I can do on dnstools.ws at the moment... measuring from residential connections is harder.

For this particular use case (VPS with a lot of storage), you may care more about the download speed than the ping. For example, if the download speed from Chicago to Singapore is double that of Stockholm to Singapore, you probably wouldn't mind the extra ~10ms latency. Keep in mind even a ~20-30ms difference is basically imperceptible in most use cases... 16ms is the duration of one single frame in a 60fps video.

• the_doctorthe_doctor Member
    edited December 2020

@Daniel15 said:
    It's only $5 more per year than the Black Friday deal. Still a great price. I grabbed one of the 16GB RAM 80GB NVMe boxes even though it was $10/year more than the BF price.

The specs are slightly different too. Was 4GB RAM on Black Friday, so $5 less p.a. and 2 GB more RAM.

Not that the current offer isn't still a good deal. :)

• @the_doctor said: Was 4GB RAM on Black Friday, so $5 less p.a. and 2 GB more RAM.

Oh, I completely missed that bit. Still a good deal though -A lot of storage VPSes I see at other providers only have 512 MB RAM as they use very old CPUs that support a relatively small amount of RAM. The CPUs in the HostHatch storage VPSes are pretty decent. It feels a lot speedier than the storage VPS I switched from

• the_doctorthe_doctor Member
    edited December 2020

@Daniel15 said:
    The CPUs in the HostHatch storage VPSes are pretty decent. It feels a lot speedier than the storage VPS I switched from

Yes, I'm very happy switching to HostHatch. In the process of moving all my projects. :)

And crazy that it all started by trying to figure out why so many people were getting excited on this very thread on LowEndTalk back on Black Friday. ;-P

• @Daniel15 said:

@the_doctor said: Was 4GB RAM on Black Friday, so $5 less p.a. and 2 GB more RAM.

Oh, I completely missed that bit. Still a good deal though -A lot of storage VPSes I see at other providers only have 512 MB RAM as they use very old CPUs that support a relatively small amount of RAM. The CPUs in the HostHatch storage VPSes are pretty decent. It feels a lot speedier than the storage VPS I switched from

I'm damn copying 1TB of duplicati backup from CHI to Hetzner, says 7hrs to go.. Impressive..

Thanked by 1hosthatch
  • orion504orion504 Member
    edited December 2020

The 4G RAM storage was only on during flash sales right, not on "normal" BF pricing?

For NVMe, I grabbed only one year at $20/y higher (not $10/y for 2 yrs like you said), as I hope for BF next year that HH may offer better deals (I mean in term of specs not price, i.e. next generation of hardware and/or higher resources at higher price) so that I don't need to stay with the old specs for another year :joy: Oh wait, I don't know whether upgrade might be possible or not, but since upgrade can cause increased load for support team as well, so probably avoid it for now.

@Daniel15 said:
    The CPUs in the HostHatch storage VPSes are pretty decent. It feels a lot speedier than the storage VPS I switched from

I think the speed feeling comes more from network than from CPU, even though the CPU is decent. That's the reason I switched to as well.

• @the_doctor said: And crazy that it all started by trying to figure out why so many people were getting excited on this very thread on LowEndTalk back on Black Friday. ;-P

Hahaha, same. I wasn't planning on getting any new VPSes during Black Friday this year, and instead ended up spending around $350 on over a dozen VPSes with HostHatch. The storage VPSes and NVMe bundles were just too good to resist.

• @Daniel15 said:
    Does anyone else find that HostHatch VPSes kick them out of SSH relatively frequently, even when the connection isn't idle? I'm connected to a bunch of VPSes via SSH at the moment yet just the HostHatch ones sporadically throw an error like "Connection reset by 2605:4840:xxxxxx port 22". I enabled keepalive in my client-side SSH config (ServerAliveInterval 60) and it didn't help. I guess I should probably install Eternal Terminal or mosh.

Hi Daniel,

did you find a solution for your problem? And since when do you have these issues?
    Are you using a template or an ISO??

Because I've noticed that too, but I think they only started appearing recently. Don't think I had these problems early on.

Installing Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS via ISO also appears to be a bit funky. It sometimes 'crashes' during the installation process I think (?!?) and then it starts from the beginning.
    Can happen multiple times. I'm using the included ISO not one I've uploaded myself.

When it finally manages to install Ubuntu it still acts really weird. There are always some strange errors appearing in VNC on all my server.
    "cc_final_message.py [warning] : used fallback datasource" etc.

And it happens on my NVMe server too no matter when I use a template or an ISO.
    "random crng init done
    random: 7 urandom warnin(s) missed due to ratelimiting"etc.

Now back to topic:

Login via SSH on my fresh installed server is often not possible on the majority of server I have. I can't reliably reproduce why that is. It's completely random. Sometimes they are all affected, sometimes only some. Sometimes A, B, C are working and XYZ aren't and suddenly A, X, Z are working but the others aren't. Some get stuck during a SSH session and reconnecting isn't possible.

It's a mix of these error that pop up at some point:

kex_exchange_identification: read: Operation timed out
    kex_exchange_identification: read: Connection reset by peer
    Connection reset by ... port 22

I seriously don't know what is causing it.

My other question is whether this is normal NVMe I/O speed? Benchmark below

Basic System Information:

Processor : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2690 0 @ 2.90GHz
    CPU cores : 4 @ 2899.998 MHz
    AES-NI : ✔ Enabled
    VM-x/AMD-V : ❌ Disabled
    RAM : 62.9 GiB
    Swap : 512.0 MiB
    Disk : 314.7 GiB

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):

Block Size 4k (IOPS) 64k (IOPS)
    Read 136.13 MB/s (34.0k) 190.25 MB/s (2.9k)
    Write 136.49 MB/s (34.1k) 191.25 MB/s (2.9k)
    Total 272.62 MB/s (68.1k) 381.50 MB/s (5.9k)
    Block Size 512k (IOPS) 1m (IOPS)
    ------ --- ---- ---- ----
    Read 204.49 MB/s (399) 200.72 MB/s (196)
    Write 215.35 MB/s (420) 214.09 MB/s (209)
    Total 419.84 MB/s (819) 414.82 MB/s (405)

I've done multiple benchmarks, I/O tests etc. and they are all around 200mb/s +/- 50mb write and read speed each. It really is bottlenecking my entire system when I download anything with over 150mb/s or/and do any kind of processing simultaneously.

Besides that I'm happy with what I got and yes I've already sent a ticket and tried to google it but I'm at my wits end. Have spent way too much time fixing it myself.

Maybe someone here knows more :)

• @SP7 which plan do you have? I haven't seen 64GB plan. Or did you stack multiple 16GB servers or did you not buy the offers?

• @sepei said:
    @SP7 which plan do you have? I haven't seen 64GB plan. Or did you stack multiple 16GB servers or did you not buy the offers?

Stacked it 4 times. I was late too the party and paid $ 30 additionally for each stack.

• @SP7 said:

@sepei said:
    @SP7 which plan do you have? I haven't seen 64GB plan. Or did you stack multiple 16GB servers or did you not buy the offers?

Stacked it 4 times. I was late too the party and paid $ 30 additionally for each stack.

Mind to share how to stack 4 vpses?

• SP7SP7 Member
    edited December 2020

Sorry, I worded it wrong.

3 CPU core (100% dedicated, burstable up to 300%)
    16 GB RAM
    80 GB RAID-10 NVMe
    10 TB bandwidth (1.5 TB in Hong Kong and Sydney)
    $90 per year

You will receive one dedicated CPU per stack. 4 x $90 = $360

It was $60 at BF but I was too late and paid $90 instead per stack.

@ferri said:

@SP7 said:

@sepei said:

If the provider allows it, they’ll do it upon request.

• @thedp said:

@ferri said:

@SP7 said:

@sepei said:

If the provider allows it, they’ll do it upon request.

Oh so it must be done by provider. Great to know it. Thanks

• RazzaRazza Member
    edited December 2020

@Daniel15 said:

Does anyone else find that HostHatch VPSes kick them out of SSH relatively frequently, even when the connection isn't idle? I'm connected to a bunch of VPSes via SSH at the moment yet just the HostHatch ones sporadically throw an error like "Connection reset by 2605:4840:xxxxxx port 22". I enabled keepalive in my client-side SSH config (ServerAliveInterval 60) and it didn't help. I guess I should probably install Eternal Terminal or mosh.

How frequently and what location dose it happen it in, I've not noticed it even on ssh session idle for over 2 hour didn't drop.

• @Razza said:
    @Daniel15 said:

How frequently and what location dose it happen it in, I've not noticed it even on ssh session idle for over 2 hour didn't drop.

How does your SSH session stay alive for over 2 hour idle? I doubt that this is common.
    Have you changed ClientAliveInterval and ClientAliveCountMax in your ssh settings?

Majority of my server are located in Stockholm and I can confirm this exact issue that Daniel15 is having.

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited December 2020

@SP7 said: did you find a solution for your problem?

Not yet. I ended up just installing Eternal Terminal (which is like "mosh" but doesn't mess with scrolling) so at least it reconnects cleanly.

@SP7 said: Are you using a template or an ISO??

ISO. I always use ISOs. All of mine are running Debian 10 :)

@SP7 said: Installing Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS via ISO also appears to be a bit funky. It sometimes 'crashes' during the installation process I think (?!?) and then it starts from the beginning.

I had a few VPSes restart while I was going through the installer. What happened was that I clicked the 'start' button, but the VPS didn't start even after waiting a minute. I clicked 'start' again and it started, but then after a while it rebooted itself. I wonder if clicking 'start' twice caused that to happen? The HostHatch VPSes themselves are very good but booting/rebooting in the control panels seems very buggy. Also sometimes VNC won't connect until I shut down and restart the VPS.

@SP7 said: My other question is whether this is normal NVMe I/O speed?

Hmm, IOPS for 4k block size seem fine, but the read/write speeds with the larger block sizes seem a bit low for NVMe. I'm actually seeing better speeds on my 2TB storage VPS.

@SP7 said: You will receive one dedicated CPU per stack. 4 x $90 = $360

It was $60 at BF but I was too late and paid $90 instead per stack.

You can get the 4GB RAM / 80GB NVMe for $70/year if you pay for two years at a time... That's what I did since I also missed the BF sale.

@SP7 said:

@Razza said:
    @Daniel15 said:

How does your SSH session stay alive for over 2 hour idle? I doubt that this is common.
    Have you changed ClientAliveInterval and ClientAliveCountMax in your ssh settings?

Majority of my server are located in Stockholm and I can confirm this exact issue that Daniel15 is having.

My primary node is in Stockholm, had it for more than a year and I’ve never had my SSH session being dropped.

The session idles for several hours whenever I’m out, and when I’m back at the computer I’ll still have it connected.

Thanked by 1skorous
  • FrankZFrankZ Veteran
    edited December 2020

You can make ssh connections persistent from your config file in ~username/.ssh/config

Host example
         Hostname example.com
         Port 34242
         User user
         Identityfile ~/.ssh/mysshkey
         ControlPath ~/.ssh/sockets/master-%r@%h:%p
         ControlMaster auto
         ControlPersist 4h
         BindAddress 10.x.x.x

you will also need to make a ~username/.ssh/sockets dir with chmod 700.

I use sshfs with hosthatch Chicago and get around 640 Mb/s up/down over the private network. I've had no issue with drops.

Thanked by 2_Nic vimalware
  • @SP7 said:

I've done multiple benchmarks, I/O tests etc. and they are all around 200mb/s +/- 50mb write and read speed each. It really is bottlenecking my entire system when I download anything with over 150mb/s or/and do any kind of processing simultaneously.

You are mixing up units. The disk speed tests are Megabytes and the bandwidth tests are Megabits.

I'd also look at your CPU more than the disk. I don't think the disk is your bottleneck with those 4k numbers.

• SP7SP7 Member
    edited December 2020

@TimboJones said:

@SP7 said:

You are mixing up units. The disk speed tests are Megabytes and the bandwidth tests are Megabits.

I'd also look at your CPU more than the disk. I don't think the disk is your bottleneck with those 4k numbers.

???

Why are you assuming that I'm mixing them up? My download speed is around 2.5 Gbit which is around 300mb/s.

EDIT: And yes I did look at my CPU and no the CPU is not to blame here.
    EDIT2:
    wget -O /dev/null http://speedtest.tele2.net/10GB.zip

with nothing being saved on my disk it results in

354MB/s

The thing is, my NVMe server acts as a frontend for my storage server and checking it out with Iotop shows it maxes out at 250mb/s write and read speed. Iostat shows me a high Iowait which in return results in high cpu usage.

• @SP7

Here's mine.

Well, maybe you need to open a ticket or wait for @hosthatch to respond here

Thu Dec 31 03:41:40 GMT 2020

---------------------------------
    Processor  : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2690 0 @ 2.90GHz
    CPU cores  : 3 @ 2899.998 MHz
    AES-NI     : ✔ Enabled
    RAM        : 15.6 GiB
    Swap       : 1024.0 MiB
    Disk       : 77.8 GiB

Block Size | 4k            (IOPS) | 64k           (IOPS)
      ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ---- 
    Read       | 150.78 MB/s  (37.6k) | 1.23 GB/s    (19.3k)
    Write      | 151.18 MB/s  (37.7k) | 1.24 GB/s    (19.4k)
    Total      | 301.96 MB/s  (75.4k) | 2.48 GB/s    (38.7k)
               |                      |                     
    Block Size | 512k          (IOPS) | 1m            (IOPS)
    Read       | 2.23 GB/s     (4.3k) | 2.30 GB/s     (2.2k)
    Write      | 2.35 GB/s     (4.5k) | 2.45 GB/s     (2.3k)
    Total      | 4.58 GB/s     (8.9k) | 4.75 GB/s     (4.6k)

• @ferri said:
    @SP7

Here's mine.

Well, maybe you need to open a ticket or wait for @hosthatch to respond here

Thu Dec 31 03:41:40 GMT 2020

Processor  : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2690 0 @ 2.90GHz
    CPU cores  : 3 @ 2899.998 MHz
    AES-NI     : ✔ Enabled
    RAM        : 15.6 GiB
    Swap       : 1024.0 MiB
    Disk       : 77.8 GiB

Block Size | 4k            (IOPS) | 64k           (IOPS)
    Read       | 150.78 MB/s  (37.6k) | 1.23 GB/s    (19.3k)
    Write      | 151.18 MB/s  (37.7k) | 1.24 GB/s    (19.4k)
    Total      | 301.96 MB/s  (75.4k) | 2.48 GB/s    (38.7k)
               |                      |                     
    Block Size | 512k          (IOPS) | 1m            (IOPS)
    Read       | 2.23 GB/s     (4.3k) | 2.30 GB/s     (2.2k)
    Write      | 2.35 GB/s     (4.5k) | 2.45 GB/s     (2.3k)
    Total      | 4.58 GB/s     (8.9k) | 4.75 GB/s     (4.6k)

great iops!

• Has anyone received vps in Warsaw in the promotion of BF? In CP I have information from December 16th finalising.. :/

• @SP7 said:

@Razza said:
    @Daniel15 said:

I quite regularly leave ssh open idle for some time without issues, my server is in Amsterdam will try test my server in other locations later to see how long the ssh session stays open for.

I haven't changed ClientAliveInterval and ClientAliveCountMax.