Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Poll] Should Provider Offers Sink? - Page 7
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[Poll] Should Provider Offers Sink?

Comments

• DvoDvo Veteran

@Ian_Dot_Tech said:

Hey guys here at LevelOneServers.com I just-released Debian 11, thought you all should know how awesome and special and exclusive my provider is (LevelOneServers.com)! WOWW!!

Fixed

Thanked by 1Ian_Dot_Tech
  • @Jord said:

@Falzo said:

@Jord said:

@DP said:

@Jord said: mods ability to sink an offer thread was removed

Looks like your privileges has sunk instead.

Well we all know who has the access though, don't we, as providers can still bump rather old threads from Black Friday last year.

you could simply close some of the outdated stuff, no?

I tried doing that, then it gets reopened.

Someone is reopening the threads you closed? That’s sus

Thanked by 1maverickp
  • Sink, or not sink. That's the question.

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • LeviLevi Member

Just upgrade to XenForo and all necessary function will be present. I believe there is even theme to make xenforo look like this vanilla theme. Of course after 10 years from now and 3 buy outs of LE[T-B].

• JordJord Moderator, Host Rep
    edited August 2021

@raindog308 said:
    Vanilla to my knowledge lacks a "sink after X days" feature. Hence putting that kind of policy in place puts an unreasonable burden on mods to track and manually sink threads. Not to mention dealing with inevitable screeching if someone's thread is overlooked and is bumped or it's sunk one day late because it's all a conspiracy by the Coloncrossinatti, etc.

There's also no way to just look at the thread listing and see which are set to sink without going in and looking at each, etc.

Also, you really don't want all offer threads set to autosink (which is immediately sink, which can be set per-category). Offers would sink very quickly and there essentially would be no offers on the front page.

My take is that

(a) there is really nothing broken here. Worst case, you're talking about moving your eyes a half a degree.

(b) in cases where threads are ancient, mods reserve the right to close or sink on an as-needed basis. Who determines when it's needed? The LowEndGods.

(c) all of this is subject to approval by the secret cabal of providers who actually run LowEndTalk and have placed a poison bomb in my spine that they can trigger if I do not follow their whims.

We'll continue to evolve rules and policies and such as we go. I think that's where we're at for right now. All appeals should be sent to the UN Court of Human Rights.

Someone was mean to me at lunch - actually implied that there might be an infrastructure issue when of course 100% of issues are caused by developers and this is universally known - so I'm feeling less merciful. No idea how @FAT32's day continued.

Actually no, we do have such a feature, Jon just turned it off. It worked well before Jon took over and turned it off, @FAT32 was trying to see how it worked. It used to sink threads automatically after I think 7 days.

We all told Jon this, that's why this thread was created. It now seems it was a waste of time. No surprise.

Also us Mods were very good at working out which thread needed sinking, aka a thread from Black Friday 2 years ago. Or last year for that matter. Until Jon removed that right to. I'm starting to see a pattern here 🤔

• LeviLevi Member

Does the benefits of no sink only apply to cisnero threads? If yes, than it is very sad situation we have here...

• edited August 2021

Jon & Dust just give their lip service.. all hail @revenue!!

@raindog308 I see, you are Jon henchmen so likely you will say anything that make Jon happy. You should be banned too for spamming desknerd discussion..

Edit: proof of spam

Thanked by 2webcraft dahartigan
  • BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep

Why bother what the community thinks/feels! as long as drama is creating moolah, WHO CARESZ ??!!!!

Just use this script - https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/173481/dustinc-hates-him-improve-your-let-experience-with-this-one-simple-trick#latest

With so many spammy bumps/promotions & aggressive marketing tactics, one would recall the EIG hosts & how shitty they became in due course of time.

Doing anything over, is harmful ;)

Thanked by 1ViridWeb
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited August 2021

@Jord said:
    Actually no, we do have such a feature, Jon just turned it off. It worked well before Jon took over and turned it off, @FAT32 was trying to see how it worked. It used to sink threads automatically after I think 7 days.

Maybe just a mistake without "political" intentions?

@all

I don't quite get the excitement, even if we did assume that there was some quiet deal between @jbiloh and @dustinc. After all dustinc seems to pay a lot each month which again helps a lot to keep our community afloat. I've seen way worse things ...

Well noted, I don't like dustinc's rather massive advertising either, but (a) hey, if that translates to playing a significant part in keeping LET afloat and developing I can accept that without problems, and (b) we know what jbiloh did and does for our community, now let's look in the mirror: what do we, each of us, do for LET? This whole thing reminds me of someone getting a free flight and then complaining about the stewardess wearing a dress he doesn't like.

Finally, it's not like dustinc's ads trigger epilepsy attacks; they are but an inconvenience. We are all free to look at them or to ignore/skip them.

I myself don't like the stewardess's dress neither, but I'm aware that I'm not the owner of the airplane nor even at least a paying customer; We could leave the airplane (sorry, metaphors always limp) anytime we want but we chose to stay so I try to understand and don't complain about her dress.

• LeeLee Veteran

@jsg said: Maybe just a mistake without "political" intentions?

Sign, here he comes with his BS.

@Lee said:

I merely asked a question. But, oh well, since when do you care about reality and truth ...

• @Lee said:

my man, @jsg might be a communist but he can still run laps around you in a debate.

also @jsg is a local god, you're just a cynical old British guy.

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • @SirFoxy said: also @jsg is a local god

...in his basement.

having to have an opinion on everything for sure doesn't elevate your position into anything.

and I wouldn't call "running around someone" in a debate a strength. either make a punch or keep quiet if you have no argument. avoding to give answer to direct questions by texting about everything else does not help either.

and all i ever hear is blah blah blah

• LeeLee Veteran

@SirFoxy said: he can still run laps around you in a debate.

I don't do tantrums or throw out smoke & mirror replies to deflect from admitting I am wrong or don't understand something as well as I think. So if that is running laps around me in a debate then fair play to him for that. Although I have never actually had a debate with him, nobody has, on this site at least.

@SirFoxy said: you're just a cynical old British guy.

True, Although cynicism on this site is a basic requirement for all. You will make poor decisions otherwise.

Ultimately If I am wrong I will say so, no shame in being wrong, missing the point or not understanding it. That is a quality that so many on here don't have.

If you care about being wrong when you are wrong to the point you won't admit it and would rather use a smoke and mirrors approach to deflect, you are doing life wrong.

edited August 2021

My critics are absolutely right in that I'm certainly not a god. I wouldn't even call myself a guru. (Sorry, @SirFoxy I'm sure you meant well, and thank you for the compliment even though I don't deserve it).

At the same time though a considerable part of my critics seem to be experts in selective reading, to rarely use a mirror while looking fervently detailed at people they don't like. Plus, a few of them behave like nasty assholes.

To provide just two examples: They stubbornly - and wrongly - accused me of defending @cociu plus they stubbornly repeat that I'm arrogating to be a know all and that I never admit being wrong or making an error, while actually I did admit errors/being wrong multiple times and even apologized, probably more often than they themselves did, btw.

I guess it's to do with personality. If you have knowledge relevant or something of value for a certain environment (e.g. LET) you don't need to, but if one is, frankly being but one of many in the crowd (I'm trying to put it politely) then picking on others and throwing accusations at them seems to look like an attractive option.
    You can ask anybody for whom I did something or who had some private interaction with me and you'll with quite high probability hear something like "he's a bit weird and old school but he's friendly and always ready to help".
    Quite some critics are even incapable of saying once "I don't trust your benchmark" and from then on just skipping my reviews.

Somewhat similar situation with @jbiloh (and no, I'm not putting myself next to him. He has done way more than me for this community). LET was quite down when he suddenly appeared as the new owner. I remember well how certain people didn't give him the slightest chance. The man did tons of hard work and invested his own money and efforts (gladly, a few gave him a chance and supported him. @raindog308 is a good example) ... et voilà LET climbed up the hill again - and still some users attacked him, accused him of whatnot, and let him very clearly know that, no matter what he does for LET - and hence for all of us - for them he'd always stay Mr. Evil.

At the same time, very few LET users said "Thank you, jbiloh!", but many seem to be obsessed about a certain provider who, yes irrititates me too with his propagating his company and offers really extensively, pays a lot of money for ads that allows jbiloh and the LET team to improve and grow our community. But that's not what quite a few LET users see, who are here anyway and who are here for free, yet act as if they had a right to demand anything.

I guess one must live with those creatures, but frankly, their "criticism" weighs very, very little. And god beware, if they invested in our community and would get treated they way they treat me.

• @jsg said:
    Somewhat similar situation with @jbiloh (and no, I'm not putting myself next to him. He has done way more than me for this community). LET was quite down when he suddenly appeared as the new owner. I remember well how certain people didn't give him the slightest chance. The man did tons of hard work and invested his own money and efforts (gladly, a few gave him a chance and supported him. @raindog308 is a good example) ... et voilà LET climbed up the hill again - and still some users attacked him, accused him of whatnot, and let him very clearly know that, no matter what he does for LET - and hence for all of us - for them he'd always stay Mr. Evil.

Yes, you also got a new tag from Jon.. so yeah you will not talk anything bad about him, because you are his team

Does this discussion a joke to you? Jon create this discussion, majority member voting for sinking after certain days, then after almost a year Dust still engage on almost a year old offer discussions, more than one. Practically Jon is ghosting us about this issue for almost a year..

Thanked by 2BlaZe ViridWeb
  • I voted yes, after a week. :)

edited August 2021

@chocolateshirt said:

@jsg said:

Yes, you also got a new tag from Jon.. so yeah you will not talk anything bad about him, because you are his team

Good to know. Look a bit above. I publicly stated that opening (or even permitting) a vote on that issue wasn't smart. That doesn't sound to me like one talks to ones boss.

Unless, of course @jbiloh happens to really be ready to reign in on LET's probably largest ad customer - in which case many points made here would be moot anyway and he would be celebrated. Or no, wait, this is LET, so probably even doing that wouldn't stop many of his "critics".

Nope, your suspicion (re myself) is wrong. I simply do what I did from day 1. I give the man a chance and try to support LET, and when there are reasons to like him then I like him rather than holding his past against him and wildly accusing him of sinister things.

Btw., how much money have you invested in LET? How many days, weeks, or even months of work?
    He has invested in the tens of thousands of $$ (just my guess), countless hours of work, and more.

I myself have done at least something, by no means even vaguely comparable to what jbiloh has done for LET, but hey, I've done (and keep doing) my little part. Yet I do not see myself in a position to have demands (other than being treated halfway decently here).

• @jsg said:

@chocolateshirt said:

@jsg said:

Btw., how much money have you invested in LET?

How much money you invested on LET discussion forum?

Thanked by 2BlaZe ViridWeb
  • @jsg said: I myself have done at least something

Taking a dump everywhere isn't contributing, last I checked.

• How much would it cost to buy a few Ad slots with just a picture of a sink?

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Hi Everyone,

Thanks to everyone who has voted and offered their opinion on how provider offer threads should be handled. The community's opinions are recognized and have been part of our conversations and thinking on this matter.

I'm currently traveling this week for work and so my time has been limited.

To quickly offer my thoughts in my own words on this topic:

Right now we are applying a logic first approach to things, as @raindog308 said in his earlier post. For example some older offer threads have been set to sink which had reached their useful life. Generally speaking for the next period of time we are going to allow the community to dictate how long threads stay active (ie: how much user based posting occurs within them and the amount of engagement). We intend to apply this thinking across all offer threads from all providers here on LowEndTalk. How we choose to handle offer threads will continue to evolve and the only thing that can be guaranteed is that the same treatment will occur to all offer threads. We will also be watchful for activity from any user intended to disrupt the community.

Thanked by 1JasonM
  • @jbiloh said: We will also be watchful for activity from any user intended to disrupt the community.

Is this supposed to be a threat?

Thanked by 1default
  • LeeLee Veteran
    edited August 2021

@stevewatson301 said: Is this supposed to be a threat?

Perhaps, but more likely just being clear that you can call it a community but it is not a democracy. I know right, he opened the thread.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@stevewatson301 said:

@jbiloh said: We will also be watchful for activity from any user intended to disrupt the community.

No of course not, that's certainly not how I go about things. What it means that if a user were to bump 20 threads with the intention of trying to disrupt things we won't appreciate that.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

The end is nigh.

• LeviLevi Member

Community also would like to receive a comment about removed "sink" ability for mods.

• @jbiloh said: if a user were to bump 20 threads with the intention of trying to disrupt things

now that's obviously a definition that you'd want to be careful with.
    really no offense meant, but it exactly describes Dustins disruptive marketing strategy: coming here every other week, checking on 20 old threads and bumping them whenever a user replied to it with his order number...

@jbiloh said: we won't appreciate that

seems the community agrees and waits for you to take measure like adjusting the rules or automations to prevent that from happening. if you instead remove or restrict functions that mods could use to do that work for you it's sadly painting a clear picture rendering your words and promises as empty shells.

• @jbiloh said:

I'm currently traveling this week for work and so my time has been limited.

Enjoy your travels.

For example some older offer threads have been set to sink which had reached their useful life. Generally speaking for the next period of time we are going to allow the community to dictate how long threads stay active (ie: how much user based posting occurs within them and the amount of engagement).

Will "your bandwidth has been doubled", "order number #133455" qualify as engagement and/or user posting?

If so - don't bother changing anything, as its obviously not addressing the elephant in the room.

• TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited August 2021

@jbiloh said:

@stevewatson301 said:

@jbiloh said: We will also be watchful for activity from any user intended to disrupt the community.

No of course not, that's certainly not how I go about things. What it means that if a user were to bump 20 threads with the intention of trying to disrupt things we won't appreciate that.

It was 6, in peaceful protest to draw attention to the issue. A Warning response warranted, at best.

Thanked by 1NobodyInteresting
This discussion has been closed.