Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Poll] Should Provider Offers Sink? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[Poll] Should Provider Offers Sink?

Comments

• @Unbelievable said:
    Yeah and its 100% on each individual what they do for affiliate spam

Lol says the inbox spammer ;)

@SGraf said:

@dahartigan said:
    Sorry to be blunt,...

That was not my point. -sigh-

Do i - as a business owner not get enjoy browsing the forums for the content rather than purely for the advertisements, like everyone else?

Of course you can.. if you have the right frame of mind entering the primarily-marketplace environment that LET is. You know you don't have to click into a thread?

Besides, this is let and enjoyment is your responsibility also ;)

• VirMachVirMach Member, Patron Provider

I mean what would end up being "fair" (if that's the goal) would be equal exposure for all offers, if that's possible. This might not end up being interesting to the users though as I assume they would have to end up seeing more of the less exciting offer threads. One way this could potentially be set up is shuffling first page positions (in the offer category) every set amount of time to include absolutely random threads from the last 10 days. If a provider wants to end their sale sooner than that period, they'd get the thread locked and it would stop being included on the first page.

The threads would still auto-sink but on the offers category they would be shuffled as per above, and that means on "Home" they'd just sink.

To solve the problem of uninteresting offers being featured/shown just the same amount (since it's 100% fair exposure) the "thank" system could be used to boost the chance it will be shown at a prominent position. This way users can essentially "upvote" the good offers, but at this point maybe it would get too complicated.

Anyway, some issues with the options presented so far:

• If it does not sink, providers could technically abuse the system by asking users to participate in some way other than naturally speaking about the offer and they could also abuse the system by making excessive replies themselves.
    • If it does sink after some period of time, users can miss out of better offers because not all offers are equal and sinking them earlier than the full duration of the offer could mean bigger promotions would go unnoticed.
    • If it sinks, we also have another issue where providers may be forced to post a new thread whereas they could have a thread last for a longer period of time, which could end up being spammy since it's not really a new offer but the same one over and over every 10 days (for no reason.)
    • If it does not sink, we could have a great offer end up sinking just because people are not really talking about it in the thread. Maybe all their questions are already answered in the original post, and people are quietly making purchases.

So a more simple solution that doesn't involve showcasing threads differently could be that threads do not sink, but "thanks" could count as a bump. This way people can vote for the offers they like without having to make a reply. Secondly, if the provider replies, the thread does not bump. And finally, if customers reply it will bump but have an option where users get to decide if their post will count as a bump (some messageboard have this feature) and they could use this feature should they be mass replying as a result of the provider requesting replies for whatever reason other than a real discussion.

Or, if strapped on development time, just that last option should end up working out the best: let users decide if their reply bumps the thread or not with a simple checkbox for not bumping (and the checkbox is forced for the original poster in the offer category.) After all, this is a message board and offers are in that format so it would make the most sense to give users the power to avoid bumping.

• One or two-day limited offers should sink after 3 days.
    But offers that are live for a week (like BF offers) should not sink for a week.
    The reason is not every LET user checks this site other day and so we may miss some on-going deals if they get buried on page 2 or 3!

Thanked by 2ZA_capetown webcraft
  • How will the- "Hey I just got this email offer" threads be managed? You know the friendly affiliate spammer who just has to tell the LET world about an offer from one of the favored providers? And oh by the way, click the affiliate link please please please. How are those going to be set to sink- as they do happen frequently

• @VirMach have a offer thread who is still active after two years.

Thanked by 2ZA_capetown imok
  • TL;DR of this thread.

Thanked by 1dustinc
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@jsg said: Plus probably quite attractive: OP can't bump his own thread, only users can.

I don't think Vanilla supports that. I could be wrong as I haven't specifically looked but we're limited by Vanilla's functionality.

@Unbelievable said: And $500 in giveaways got one vendor pinned to the top of LET and a lot of exposure on LEB. That is cheap marketing compared to normal ads. Wonder if other vendors had the same chance

Yes - they did/do. If anyone wants to do a giveaway, PM me and I'll be happy to do it. There is another vendor I'm chatting with on this right now.

@jbiloh said: Should we Sink offer threads?

I'd say 3 days or a week. Or alternatively close threads after a period of time though I guess practically that's the same thing.

@SGraf said: Personally i am only concerned with the scenario of , browsing LET close to any significant Holiday/Event and having page #1 and half of #2 being filled with this kind of content.

Keep in mind that readers can browse by categories. It's not as sophisticated as I'd like (I wish there was a Vanilla plugin or preference to set one's home page to filter/include categories) but if someone is shopping, it's not like offers scroll off into oblivion - they can always go to offers and see them.

Thanked by 3adly jsg dahartigan
  • jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@ben47955 said:
    @VirMach have a offer thread who is still active after two years.

Hence why whatever we do it has to be even and fairly applied across the board.

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • 1 week is suitable for a post in offers section that can come to top after new comments. After 1 week the post should not come to top even after placing new comments and should have to give place to new offers.

• I think 1-week sounds good.

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@jbiloh Once this is done it would be interesting to see the metrics on if providers & members were leaning different directions with this.

Just so everyone is aware it used to be immediate sink until a couple of years ago where I broke the plugin doing some customisations for a black Friday event and I didn't have the access to fix it.

• @SGraf said: Personally i am only concerned with the scenario of , browsing LET close to any significant Holiday/Event and having page #1 and half of #2 being filled with this kind of content.

Once, twice, or at most three times a year? On the first time when it has novelty value and legs?

I wasn't aware there were so many wet blankets aboard this ship. If the members enjoy the diversions and they are so infrequent, I really can't see them as a major distraction from the main business of the site. More, in fact, as an occasional letting down of hair and a possible attraction to new members. THE place to visit for the BF and other special occasion deals, which will convert some into regular visitors.

Borrow Dustin's marketing hat for a few days and think it through a bit more.

Thanked by 2dahartigan adly
  • this was part from LET with bumping , imagine a "drama" after 3 days all will forget about it ... etc etc. Remember when facebook was do the same , start from that day facebook was go down and continue to go down ... just my 2 cents.

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • SGrafSGraf Member, Patron Provider

Wow, just wow....

I see people talk about a problem. Consider what the worst case outcome is.
    Then i voice my concern about that. (Including suggesting a solution.)

I have even expressed i am genuinely happy for his success....

@dahartigan said:
    Sorry to be blunt, but ...

@dominame said:

I wasn't aware there were so many wet blankets aboard this ship. ...

I get the feeling that you are trying to imply i am salty or negative about the whole thing (=> i am not)? - But why? ¯_(ツ)_/¯

• edited November 2020

3 days is about right. Anything over 3 days - I personally see as spam.
    Specially the "comment after you purchase and I will double your X Y Z" - that's basically "paying" users to bump a thread into oblivion and playing the system.
    My 2.5c

Thanked by 2raindog308 jsg
  • @SGraf said: I get the feeling that you are trying to imply i am salty or negative about the whole thing

More light heated banter than accusation, @SGraf. Please don't take it too seriously. ;) I'm not very good at deadpan discussions.

@trewq said:
    @jbiloh Once this is done it would be interesting to see the metrics on if providers & members were leaning different directions with this.

Just so everyone is aware it used to be immediate sink until a couple of years ago where I broke the plugin doing some customisations for a black Friday event and I didn't have the access to fix it.

Yes I agree it would be interesting to see the data and be able to compare. Something I can work on in a few days or weeks time.

We need more votes. Everyone please share your opinion.

• @cociu said: imagine a "drama" after 3 days all will forget about it

Usually drama posts are opened not in offers section.

Offer may sink after 3 days. After that period offer starts to stink. Either sold out or no one buy. Probably it is worth to think about decreasing posting time, maybe 10 instead of 14?

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited November 2020

@jbiloh said:

What's the current "post a new offer" time? 1 week? 2 weeks? That'd likely help people make a more informed decision.

I think that should be in the primary post but you can't edit it without it eating the poll?

*Edited per user's request: ""You are allowed post an offer every 10 days (posts in the "offers" category and the "shared hosting offers" category are on separate timers)""

Francisco

Thanked by 1default
  • Thank you for the poll.

Thanked by 1dustinc
  • @Francisco said:

@jbiloh said:

What's the current "post a new offer" time? 1 week? 2 weeks? That'd likely help people make a more informed decision.

I think that should be in the primary post but you can't edit it without it eating the poll?

Francisco

2 weeks.

Thank you for your comment.

As per the LowEndTalk rules:

"You are allowed post an offer every 10 days (posts in the "offers" category and the "shared hosting offers" category are on separate timers)"

• @SGraf said:
    Personally i am only concerned with the scenario of , browsing LET close to any significant Holiday/Event and having page #1 and half of #2 being filled with this kind of content.

By content, you mean promotions and giveaways? Then you're in the minority, dude. It's a few days of the year. The content is the deals, not the everyday drama.

Thanked by 1FrankZ

We plan to leave this thread open for 7 days from it's opening. So votes will be tallied on December 1st and a decision will be made by the moderation and administration team based on the feedback from the community at that time.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@jbiloh said:

"You are allowed post an offer every 10 days (posts in the "offers" category and the "shared hosting offers" category are on separate timers)"

Can you maybe edit my very first reply and tag that in there? It'll at least get the info early into the post without buggering up the poll.

If it's 10 days then no more than 5 days is fair. At 7 days you're able to almost have a post always bumping.

Francisco

@Francisco said:

@jbiloh said:

Can you maybe edit my very first reply and tag that in there? It'll at least get the info early into the post without buggering up the poll.

If it's 10 days then no more than 5 days is fair. At 7 days you're able to almost have a post always bumping.

Francisco

Certainly, will do that right now.

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • qpsqps Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2020

Assuming 10 days between offer posts is the rule, I would say 5 days is pretty fair, but definitely not more than 10 days. If you don't have a limit, you could end up with someone who has the whole front page with multiple offer threads being bumped.

@qps said:
    Assuming 10 days between offer posts is the rule, I would say 5 days is pretty fair, but definitely not more than 10 days. If you don't have a limit, you could end up with someone who has the whole front page with multiple offer threads being bumped.

So you like the simple approach vs. something else as suggested by some other users?

All,

@raindog308 is on vacation through the end of the year, but upon his return we are going to make a community driven decision on a universal policy related to offering sinking.

Just wanted to update everyone.

:)

This discussion has been closed.