Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Poll] Should Provider Offers Sink? - Page 6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[Poll] Should Provider Offers Sink?

Comments

• skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

@dustinc said:

@jar said:
    I voted no because:

1. Dustin's posts don't bother me.
    2. I don't post offers often, carrying on a long thread over time with new people joining in every month or two seems more casual and friendly to the community.

I feel like a majority of the community is on the same page as many have ignored this thread to begin with (a small number of votes) and here we are, doing well, and the community is thriving.

1. That's a Hella of an old post
    2. it has had its poll closed after a while
    3. the majority that still voted a while ago is with sinking offer threads
  • @skorupion said:

@dustinc said:

many have ignored this thread to begin with (a small number of votes)

indeed, 311 votes is by far no small number around here but clearly the opposite. and from that >80% are for sinking offer threads after all...

so sorry to say but it does not get more clear than that, what the majority of the community prefers. and obviously we would not have this kind of discussion at all if people couldn't be bothered.

@dustinc you always tell that you care about the community and supporting your clients. how about you start helping us out here by actively requesting your threads to be closed after they've run their course and when it happens that people accidentically still bump it after some longer idle time.

or alternatively stick to max two active threads that you keep alive for years to come if you want that, but don't add new ones. you're smart, I am sure you'll figure something out ;-)

• dustincdustinc Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

@Falzo said:

@skorupion said:

@dustinc said:

many have ignored this thread to begin with (a small number of votes)

indeed, 311 votes is by far no small number around here but clearly the opposite. and from that >80% are for sinking offer threads after all...

so sorry to say but it does not get more clear than that, what the majority of the community prefers. and obviously we would not have this kind of discussion at all if people couldn't be bothered.

@dustinc you always tell that you care about the community and supporting your clients. how about you start helping us out here by actively requesting your threads to be closed after they've run their course and when it happens that people accidentically still bump it after some longer idle time.

or alternatively stick to max two active threads that you keep alive for years to come if you want that, but don't add new ones. you're smart, I am sure you'll figure something out ;-)

Hi @Falzo -- we abide by the rules and don't advertise every 10 days as we/other providers are permitted to. Naturally, our threads have obtained the communities interest, have quite a bit of views/engagement - and the conversions frankly are amazing. So it appears the community is very interested in what we have to offer.

For those who aren't interested in our offers, I'm happy to see a script is available to them, and respectfully they should use it.

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2021

@dustinc said:
    and the conversions frankly are amazing.

I think our definitions of amazing might be a little different. To me, "#12344" "I've doubled your bandwidth" is a bit stale now. I had a glance through one of the old offer threads and every single post on the most recent page had an order number in it, or was your reply to it.

Nobody is suggesting you've done anything wrong, just that it might be time for a slight adjustment to how the forum displays content to ensure old offer threads don't continue resurfacing on the front page.

@jackb said:

@dustinc said:

I think our definitions of amazing might be a little different. To me, "#12344" "I've doubled your bandwidth" is a bit stale now.

Nobody is suggesting you've done anything wrong, just that it might be time for a slight adjustment to how the forum displays content.

I understand, and I respect that. At the same time, why suppress what's popular/obtaining engagement? Especially if a script is available to those who may be bothered by certain displayed content.

Either way, I understand that everyone has their own thoughts on how this community should be.

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2021

@dustinc said:
    I understand, and I respect that. At the same time, why suppress what's popular/obtaining engagement? Especially if a script is available to those who may be bothered by certain displayed content.

Either way, I understand that everyone has their own thoughts on how this community should be.

It's old content and encouraged engagement. The posts bumping the old threads aren't particularly relevant to anyone except your customer and you.

It's great that people are coming here to engage with you and get free stuff, and they might stick around. That's good too. But, not front page material.

There's suitable solutions that don't involve people having to install greasemonkey scripts -- that should only be done where good solutions aren't already available.

I think ultimately your - very effective - marketing technique does benefit the community in drawing people here, but I don't think the old threads need bumped for that benefit to continue.

• See.. neither Jon nor Dust will do the request of community.. It just lip service..

@jackb said:

@dustinc said:

It's old content and encouraged engagement. The posts bumping the old threads aren't particularly relevant to anyone except your customer and you.

It's great that people are coming here to engage with you and get free stuff, and they might stick around. That's good too. But, not front page material.

There's suitable solutions that don't involve people having to install greasemonkey scripts -- that should only be done where good solutions aren't already available.

Totally understand where you are coming from.

If the deal is that good, causing conversions/interactions, it's quite relevant to the community I'd say.

The "customer" isn't always a "customer" from the moment they see our threads. It's important to note that providers are also contributing to the growth of the community.

These customers/community members oftentimes engage with questions, and from there usually do sign up due to our service level, and offering.

If this community member/valued customer chooses to interact with the provider, awesome stuff! Chances are they'll likely continue to grow with the said provider, come back frequently to the community (buy from others within the community), and create an awesome economy.

• JabJabJabJab Member
    edited August 2021

Because requesting unbans on someone else's behalf is the way it works now [cc: cociu] I request unban for @dedicatserver_ro. Let's be serious - was he behaving shitty? Kinda, yes. Does it deserve perma-ban? Hell no. You guys have no problem with "end is night" in almost every thread...

Also I hope raindog308 was banned too for answering in every damn thread? Was this really necessary or this was supposed to be a meme just like dedicatserver_ro did and then only one was punished? :-D

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited August 2021

It's pointless. History is bound to repeat itself. This reminds me of ColoCrossing who used to remove bans of featured hosts, because of special and hidden privileges. This looks like the same thing, but it's a bit worse, because a vote was organized, and this vote was not listened.

"Vox Populi" ain't "Vox Dei" around these parts.

• @dustinc said:

@jackb said:

@dustinc said:

I think our definitions of amazing might be a little different. To me, "#12344" "I've doubled your bandwidth" is a bit stale now.

Nobody is suggesting you've done anything wrong, just that it might be time for a slight adjustment to how the forum displays content.

The script doesn't work on phones. With 6-7 threads in play, you fill up the screen and hence annoy people. You've seen the screenshots.

You keep talking about abiding by the rules, ok, cool, but that doesn't mean nice people aren't annoying and people don't want you up their asses all the time. Your low pricing is what keeps people buying, once you need to raise prices, it'll stop. The constant thread bumping has people worried you're about to exit scam a la Alpha Racks.

• @TimboJones said:

@dustinc said:

@jackb said:

@dustinc said:

The script doesn't work on phones. With 6-7 threads in play, you fill up the screen and hence annoy people. You've seen the screenshots.

You keep talking about abiding by the rules, ok, cool, but that doesn't mean nice people aren't annoying and people don't want you up their asses all the time. Your low pricing is what keeps people buying, once you need to raise prices, it'll stop. The constant thread bumping has people worried you're about to exit scam a la Alpha Racks.

History will repeat itself. Most of the sales are from LET, so we all know what will happen. Then he will come under a different name, pump some money into advertising again, and rise again. It clearly works.

Thanked by 3Lee chocolateshirt WSWD
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@Lee said: To be fair, you could have just asked Justin for more money than he is paying now given the additional visibility of all threads at one time.

Who's Justin? Stop being a noncompliant donkey.

@JabJab said: Because requesting unbans on someone else's behalf is the way it works now [cc: cociu]

That was not just one person requesting and it's been thoroughly discussed here.

@JabJab said: I request unban for @dedicatserver_ro. Let's be serious - was he behaving shitty? Kinda, yes. Does it deserve perma-ban? Hell no. You guys have no problem with "end is night" in almost every thread...

End is nigh.

It's an old meme and not one I ever found all that funny but I don't see anyone flagging it or raising it as an issue, so...

Also I hope raindog308 was banned too for answering in every damn thread? Was this really necessary or this was supposed to be a meme just like dedicatserver_ro did and then only one was punished? :-D

It was to explain he was temp-banned. And since he'd just bumped them, my reply didn't change anything.

• LeeLee Veteran

@raindog308 said: Who's Justin? Stop being a noncompliant donkey.

Who knows, maybe I am right and everyone else is wrong.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@FAT32 said: Given that he was banned earlier and was given a second chance, I don't think we should give him more chances.

So, I gather that my next ban will be permanent? Thank God(s)...
    I have already been given 3 chances :P

• @Maounique said:

@FAT32 said: Given that he was banned earlier and was given a second chance, I don't think we should give him more chances.

no, you won't be given this satisfaction. instead it's decided that your punishment is to be forever unbanned and have to repeat your run for martyr of the week again and again without ever seeing fulfilment to your wishes.

offer threads can't sink, so can't you.

Thanked by 1skorous
  • 1gservers1gservers Member, Patron Provider

I believe the obvious answer to this is locking or sinking all offers threads automatically after X days. If the provider cannot post again for 10 days, then I believe that the thread should be locked (or at least sunk) at the 9 or 10 day mark. It would not be fair (in my opinion) to do it any sooner.

Otherwise, what you aim to achieve should be handled with rules, not hard hammers.

Yes, this will be the rule, sink after 3 days (or whatever).
    If anyone is looking for offers can always search for them and post in those threads ad infinitum. Bookmark, whatever.
    This is not a forum for offers. Those a special category, you can search for it if you need offers, if not, you can see new ones for 3 days. Much more than enough.

• @Maounique said:

AHA! So now you believe in God.

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited August 2021

@Maounique said:
    Yes, this will be the rule, sink after 3 days (or whatever).
    If anyone is looking for offers can always search for them and post in those threads ad infinitum. Bookmark, whatever.
    This is not a forum for offers. Those a special category, you can search for it if you need offers, if not, you can see new ones for 3 days. Much more than enough.

The vote is 7 days. 7 days is great, as it can cover Black Friday and Cyber Monday on same thread. Plus it can also cover Christmas days, Easter days, country celebrations, each with it's own special thread for 7 days. 7 days till sinking is just perfect.

Thanked by 1chocolateshirt
    edited August 2021

@default said: AHA! So now you believe in God.

I have always believed in LowEndGods. I have proof they exist and they smite me when I am not popular with the "Top Providers".

What's this crazy idea that the offers must be "in yer face" whether you are interested or not when people interested will certainly be able to search and find them in 2 clicks? Okay, something might be interesting in the title, you could find something you didn't know you were looking for, but 3 days are more than enough for that.

• dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

I guess Vanilla doesn't support "sink immediately when order id detected", right? :)

Otherwise 10 (or 7) days sounds good to me, so every provider can only push one thread at a time.

Thanked by 2chocolateshirt Abd

@dfroe said: can only push one thread at a time.

So, 30 providers and subsidiaries can keep first page devoid of anything else permanently... Thanks, but no.

• dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2021

@Maounique said: So, 30 providers and subsidiaries can keep first page devoid of anything else permanently

I'd say if this would happen and that stupid "let customers comment their order number to push my offer thread" practice wouldn't be banned... then the end of LET would be really nigh.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Vanilla to my knowledge lacks a "sink after X days" feature. Hence putting that kind of policy in place puts an unreasonable burden on mods to track and manually sink threads. Not to mention dealing with inevitable screeching if someone's thread is overlooked and is bumped or it's sunk one day late because it's all a conspiracy by the Coloncrossinatti, etc.

There's also no way to just look at the thread listing and see which are set to sink without going in and looking at each, etc.

Also, you really don't want all offer threads set to autosink (which is immediately sink, which can be set per-category). Offers would sink very quickly and there essentially would be no offers on the front page.

My take is that

(a) there is really nothing broken here. Worst case, you're talking about moving your eyes a half a degree.

(b) in cases where threads are ancient, mods reserve the right to close or sink on an as-needed basis. Who determines when it's needed? The LowEndGods.

(c) all of this is subject to approval by the secret cabal of providers who actually run LowEndTalk and have placed a poison bomb in my spine that they can trigger if I do not follow their whims.

We'll continue to evolve rules and policies and such as we go. I think that's where we're at for right now. All appeals should be sent to the UN Court of Human Rights.

Someone was mean to me at lunch - actually implied that there might be an infrastructure issue when of course 100% of issues are caused by developers and this is universally known - so I'm feeling less merciful. No idea how @FAT32's day continued.

• @raindog308 said:
    Vanilla to my knowledge lacks a "sink after X days" feature. Hence putting that kind of policy in place puts an unreasonable burden on mods to track and manually sink threads. Not to mention dealing with inevitable screeching if someone's thread is overlooked and is bumped or it's sunk one day late because it's all a conspiracy by the Coloncrossinatti, etc.

There's also no way to just look at the thread listing and see which are set to sink without going in and looking at each, etc.

Also, you really don't want all offer threads set to autosink (which is immediately sink, which can be set per-category). Offers would sink very quickly and there essentially would be no offers on the front page.

My take is that

(a) there is really nothing broken here. Worst case, you're talking about moving your eyes a half a degree.

(b) in cases where threads are ancient, mods reserve the right to close or sink on an as-needed basis. Who determines when it's needed? The LowEndGods.

(c) all of this is subject to approval by the secret cabal of providers who actually run LowEndTalk and have placed a poison bomb in my spine that they can trigger if I do not follow their whims.

We'll continue to evolve rules and policies and such as we go. I think that's where we're at for right now. All appeals should be sent to the UN Court of Human Rights.

Someone was mean to me at lunch - actually implied that there might be an infrastructure issue when of course 100% of issues are caused by developers and this is universally known - so I'm feeling less merciful. No idea how @FAT32's day continued.

So why waste everyone's time with creating a thread about something that "vanilla" lacks, and apparently @jbiloh also lacks the $20 to invest on fivver for someone to code it in?
    He just expected that people don't care, and when the results came in - he decided to give us all the middle finger, cause the result didn't match his expectations.

The fact that we have all been talking, and he hasn't said a thing says a lot more than he thinks it does.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited August 2021

@NobodyInteresting said: The fact that we have all been talking, and he hasn't said a thing says a lot more than he thinks it does.

Because it makes it seem like they care. It's common to see the same thing in politics.

I think a fair compromise is a provider is allowed 1 offer thread that can be bumped and the others get immediate sinking. This must count against announcements too.

There's 3?+ threads on here from providers announcing Debian 11. Who cares? It's not some game changing feature, you can literally upgrade on your own in a few minutes. This is just pointless spam for the sake of keeping names in heads.

Anyway, this allows providers like @jar to have his 1 - 2 threads a year still get bumped here/there, but deals with excessive bump spam that happens.

Limit it to 1. Not "Oh each thread can be bumped for 1 - 2 weeks and then sinks", no. All that does is outlines the terms of spamming instead of disallowing it all together.

Francisco

• @raindog308 said:

(a) Worst case, you're talking about moving your eyes a half a degree.

For The Nerd!

(b) in cases where threads are ancient, mods reserve the right to close or sink on an as-needed basis. Who determines when it's needed? The LowEndGods...

And The Nerd!

(c) all of this is subject to approval by the secret cabal of providers who actually run LowEndTalk [...]

Long Live The Nerd and may we see his face on the front page, as much as possible!

• @Francisco said:

There's 3?+ threads on here from providers announcing Debian 11. Who cares? It's not some game changing feature, you can literally upgrade on your own in a few minutes. This is just pointless spam for the sake of keeping names in heads.

Francisco

Cringey move indeed.

• Ian_Dot_TechIan_Dot_Tech Member, Patron Provider

@rogerwilco said:

@Francisco said:

Francisco

Cringey move indeed.

Hey guys here at LevelOneServers.com I just-released Debian 11, thought you all should know how awesome and special and exclusive my provider is (LevelOneServers.com)!

(I know, I know a little late to the party and RackNerd already announced it). We didn't want to steal their thunder and post at the same time though!

Remember! LevelOneServers.com in your head!
    LeveloneServers.com now! Leveloneservers.com 4 life!

This message and announcement have been brought to you by your best friends over at LevelOneServers.com, a website you can buy a dedicated server at!

Ian Dunlap
    LevelOneServers.com

This discussion has been closed.