Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

โ€บ microLXC Public Test - Page 34
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

microLXC Public Test

Comments

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited April 7

@fadedmaple said:

@Neoon said:

@fadedmaple said:
    I've noticed that some containers show wrong ipv6 addresses in the panel(7dfb-30ac-c97a-4ef1 and 5f76-1a03-a751-dad1). There seems to be a QUOTA for the number of containers created per day? So I can't creating containers multiple times to find out if it's a problem with a location or a image. But i think it's unrelated to their creation time.

Besides, I can't manage one container in the panel, tried several times at different times but no response, but everything works fine with SSH. ID 1091-c485-611c-1792

The IPv6 address is allocated randomly by the DHCP server, I don't have any control over it.
    It should however update in the Panel after deployment or reinstall.
    Will check on that.

Yea, Auckland had an Outage again, I was aware of the outage however not that it was rebooted. I should have checked that. Is fixed.

What OS templates and Locations do you have issues with?

I can confirm Aukland is fixed.

The locations are Norway and Romania. If I'm not mistaken I always choose ubuntu 22.04, but I've done some reinstalls and the 22.04 image seems updated frequently.
    I tried deploying a new Dutch container with 22.04 and the IP wouldn't update either. Everything works fine in SSH, it doesn't really affect normal usage

Okay, but where are the issues you mentioned with the images?

• @Neoon said:

@fadedmaple said:

@Neoon said:

@fadedmaple said:
    I've noticed that some containers show wrong ipv6 addresses in the panel(7dfb-30ac-c97a-4ef1 and 5f76-1a03-a751-dad1). There seems to be a QUOTA for the number of containers created per day? So I can't creating containers multiple times to find out if it's a problem with a location or a image. But i think it's unrelated to their creation time.

Besides, I can't manage one container in the panel, tried several times at different times but no response, but everything works fine with SSH. ID 1091-c485-611c-1792

The IPv6 address is allocated randomly by the DHCP server, I don't have any control over it.
    Will check on that.

Yea, Auckland had an Outage again, I was aware of the outage however not that it was rebooted. I should have checked that. Is fixed.

The locations are Norway and Romania. If I'm not mistaken I always choose ubuntu 22.04, but I've done some reinstalls and the 22.04 image seems updated frequently.
    I tried deploying a new Dutch container with 22.04 and the IP wouldn't update either. Everything works fine in SSH, it doesn't really affect normal usage

I feel like it might not be a issue it's just my lack of patience. After deploying 128MB ubuntu 22.04, I couldn't connect to SSH, even though it appears in the panel for more than 1 minute. I can connect on web shortly after clicking restart, but apt update && apt upgrade will ask me to dpkg --configure -a, It then outputs the configuration of the ssh-server. One time I also found that there was no authorized_keys file in the ~/.ssh directory

@fadedmaple said:

@Neoon said:

@fadedmaple said:

@Neoon said:

@fadedmaple said:

Will check on that.

I feel like it might not be a issue it's just my lack of patience. After deploying 128MB ubuntu 22.04, I couldn't connect to SSH, even though it appears in the panel for more than 1 minute. I can connect on web shortly after clicking restart, but apt update && apt upgrade will ask me to dpkg --configure -a, It then outputs the configuration of the ssh-server. One time I also found that there was no authorized_keys file in the ~/.ssh directory

Ubuntu did ran fine with 128MB before.
    Something must have changed.

For some reason Ubuntu now runs out of memory on 128MB.
    20.04 and 22.04, so I increased the memory requirement to 192MB instead of 128MB.

Plus I added a 192MB Package just for testing, seems to work fine again.
    Will add it later to other Locations too.

Thanked by 1fadedmaple
  • @Neoon said:

@fadedmaple said:

@Neoon said:

@fadedmaple said:

@Neoon said:

@fadedmaple said:

Will check on that.

20.04 and 22.04, so I increased the memory requirement to 192MB instead of 128MB.

So images with lxc are lxc only, same for KVM. Without these two tags there is no limit?Can't believe RHEL 9 variants works on 128MB but Ubuntu doesn't :'(
    Looks like I need to switch to debian.

edited April 7

@fadedmaple said:

@Neoon said:

@fadedmaple said:

@Neoon said:

@fadedmaple said:

@Neoon said:

@fadedmaple said:

Will check on that.

So images with lxc are lxc only, same for KVM. Without these two tags there is no limit?#

Can you explain your question again?

Can't believe RHEL 9 variants works on 128MB but Ubuntu doesn't :'(

If an OS can't install basic packages with 128MB, I won't offer the option to install that OS on 128MB.

• @Neoon said:

@fadedmaple said:

@Neoon said:

@fadedmaple said:

@Neoon said:

@fadedmaple said:

@Neoon said:

@fadedmaple said:

Will check on that.

So images with lxc are lxc only, same for KVM. Without these two tags there is no limit?#

If an OS can't install basic packages with 128MB, I won't offer the option to install that OS on 128MB.

I mean the flavour without tags actually provide both KVM and LXC images behind the scenes, right? Since lxc only needs rootfs
    Nixos seems to be unselectable no matter which Package it's paired with.

• And I think it's worth to disable PasswordAuthentication for all images since everyone has submitted their pubkey. Can reduce some IO (logs) and even CPU usage๐Ÿ˜‚

@fadedmaple said:

@Neoon said:

@fadedmaple said:

@Neoon said:

@fadedmaple said:

@Neoon said:

@fadedmaple said:

@Neoon said:

@fadedmaple said:

Will check on that.

I mean the flavour without tags actually provide both KVM and LXC images behind the scenes, right? Since lxc only needs rootfs

They do but its more complicated than that.
    Not every Image is available for LXC or KVM, different memory requirements....

Nixos seems to be unselectable no matter which Package it's paired with.

Was not yet announced to be available.

Thanked by 1fadedmaple

OS / Package availability updates

OS

• Ubuntu can not longer be installed on 128MB due to OOM issues
    • Archlinux and Alpinelinux are now available for KVM, including the 256MB KVM Package
    • BYOOS has been removed from the 256MB KVM Package due to OOM issues
    • Rocklinux, CentOS, Almalinux and Debian are now available to be Installed on the 384MB KVM Package

Packages

• New 192MB LXC Package, mainly for Ubuntu but for any other distros also
    • 384MB KVM Package is also now available Norway
    Thanked by 1Carlin0
  • MateiSRMateiSR Member

great work! hope i'll get to participate in some of the next public tests on LET :smile:

OS availability updates
    - Added Alpine 3.19 (LXC/KVM)
    - Added NixOS (LXC)

Alpine is as before available from 64MB, NixOS from 128MB.

Thanked by 2Erisa ElonBezos

@Neoon said:
    OS availability updates
    - Added NixOS (LXC)

NixOS has been disabled again, since people found issues with the template that I didn't see.
    A few Locations will be migrated/moved to Incus in the next days/weeks/months, which should make NixOS run as expected, will post updates on this.

Thanked by 1fadedmaple
  • @Neoon said:

@Neoon said:
    OS availability updates
    - Added NixOS (LXC)

NixOS has been disabled again, since people found issues with the template that I didn't see.
    A few Locations will be migrated/moved to Incus in the next days/weeks/months, which should make NixOS run as expected, will post updates on this.

That's cool, will all servers migrate to incus in the future?
    I found 128 MiB containers I created myself with LXD or incus are accurate 128MiB, not complaining about missing a few MiB just curious ๐Ÿ˜†

edited April 9

@fadedmaple said:

@Neoon said:

@Neoon said:
    OS availability updates
    - Added NixOS (LXC)

Some will be replaced or upgraded.
    Either a new Machine same Location with Incus or the existing Machine will get a clean reinstall.
    Some Locations are old with old configurations hence the reinstall.

I found 128 MiB containers I created myself with LXD or incus are accurate 128MiB, not complaining about missing a few MiB just curious ๐Ÿ˜†

Because the Packages are created as MB not as MiB.
    Thanks for pointing it out though, I updated the Packages.

• daviddavid Member

2b29-7964-62f2-22b1

Thanks!

• c0fb-0393-0604-7f52

thanks

• daviddavid Member

I noticed the DKIM on your email is failing (for the new email address verification code). Not a problem for me, but just to let you know in case you didn't notice it.

dkim=fail reason="key not found in DNS" header.d=microlxc.net [email protected] header.a=rsa-sha256 header.s=x header.b=p08RRO6u;
    dkim-atps=neutral

(not found)
    # dig txt x._domainkey.microlxc.net

This is the DKIM signature from the email:

DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; q=dns/txt; c=relaxed/relaxed;
        d=microlxc.net; s=x; h=Date:Message-Id:From:Subject:To:Sender:Reply-To:Cc:
        MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:Content-ID:
        Content-Description:Resent-Date:Resent-From:Resent-Sender:Resent-To:Resent-Cc
        :Resent-Message-ID:In-Reply-To:References:List-Id:List-Help:List-Unsubscribe:
        List-Subscribe:List-Post:List-Owner:List-Archive;
        bh=7ANFako93J0HBfUmoSuWCxqWmX42DGjipap0PqqMJ1c=; b=p08RRO6uAmOMnRTtm/J+zaoY83
        Xlhc7g9xKSC6NfWgkX4HOhjfb0XtQMoAL8DxCcXEpr1jcraIIRTzyadmnIMXLGCg0tJRJiMBE/zgl
        NBk950/54MdPl215x4qUPlrli6nL5wPbDZYMoHlJ0ySDKuqFujkXdWiuXLn2jzT/lDhmDjb5Zmu3W
        tZXkaFhWOHs9EAFX0OmuD+3ZUCYiXw0KIIgVqFy4vaEwlMJ1Kn8jffE9B4v+PSNszVgNRQLR/nEUc
        6R+kn4Y85RWqa3eM3iC52JuBOl0vGV8aIxKkGvUNDhbvfD8iHSO4KuRyhg65QZXnHGaLPTOLKrI+b
        sCCy/60Q==;

Sorry, I like looking at email headers.

Thanked by 1Carlin0

@david said:
    I noticed the DKIM on your email is failing (for the new email address verification code). Not a problem for me, but just to let you know in case you didn't notice it.

dkim=fail reason="key not found in DNS" header.d=microlxc.net [email protected] header.a=rsa-sha256 header.s=x header.b=p08RRO6u;
    dkim-atps=neutral

(not found)
    # dig txt x._domainkey.microlxc.net

This is the DKIM signature from the email:

DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; q=dns/txt; c=relaxed/relaxed;
      d=microlxc.net; s=x; h=Date:Message-Id:From:Subject:To:Sender:Reply-To:Cc:
      MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:Content-ID:
      Content-Description:Resent-Date:Resent-From:Resent-Sender:Resent-To:Resent-Cc
      :Resent-Message-ID:In-Reply-To:References:List-Id:List-Help:List-Unsubscribe:
      List-Subscribe:List-Post:List-Owner:List-Archive;
      bh=7ANFako93J0HBfUmoSuWCxqWmX42DGjipap0PqqMJ1c=; b=p08RRO6uAmOMnRTtm/J+zaoY83
      Xlhc7g9xKSC6NfWgkX4HOhjfb0XtQMoAL8DxCcXEpr1jcraIIRTzyadmnIMXLGCg0tJRJiMBE/zgl
      NBk950/54MdPl215x4qUPlrli6nL5wPbDZYMoHlJ0ySDKuqFujkXdWiuXLn2jzT/lDhmDjb5Zmu3W
      tZXkaFhWOHs9EAFX0OmuD+3ZUCYiXw0KIIgVqFy4vaEwlMJ1Kn8jffE9B4v+PSNszVgNRQLR/nEUc
      6R+kn4Y85RWqa3eM3iC52JuBOl0vGV8aIxKkGvUNDhbvfD8iHSO4KuRyhg65QZXnHGaLPTOLKrI+b
      sCCy/60Q==;

Sorry, I like looking at email headers.

I didn't know that MXRoute also supports DKIM out of the box.
    So It wasn't enabled.

I added the DNS Records, should be fine now.
    Thanks for letting me know.

Thanked by 3Carlin0 david Erisa
  • daviddavid Member

I set up some Debian 128MB instances. So far so good. I did notice at these 2 locations the IPv6 address listed in the dashboard is different than the one that is automatically provisioned with the server.

Sandefjord
    Groningen

It is from the /64 allocation, but not the one that's provisioned and working. Not a problem, just for your info.

• daviddavid Member
    edited April 16

^^ Sorry, I see that's already been discussed earlier.

I've got some 64MB Alpine Linux servers setup now that are working fine with shadowsocks. I had installed 128MB Debian at first, since that's what I'm used to, but Alpine Linux is ok for this, too (something new).

Here's the latency I'm seeing from my Vultr vps in Tokyo.

Tokyo Equinix     1 ms
    Singapore        75 ms
    Auckland        184 ms
    Valdivia        297 ms
    Johannesburg    284 ms
    Sadelfjord      239 ms
    Groningen       225 ms
    Oradea          430 ms
    Helsinki        291 ms

The best from this location is (of course) Tokyo and Singapore. And Auckland, Sadelfjord, and Groningen aren't too bad. The slowest are Valdivia, Johannesburg, Helsinki, and Oradea.

These are ipv6 ping times, except for Tokyo Equinix and Helsinki that are ipv4 only. ipv4 vs ipv6 is usually close to the same for most. Oradea latency over ipv4 is a bit better at 276 ms, but both ipv4 & ipv6 have some packet loss to that location.

• @Neoon said:

@fadedmaple said:

@Neoon said:

@Neoon said:
    OS availability updates
    - Added NixOS (LXC)

Either a new Machine same Location with Incus or the existing Machine will get a clean reinstall.

It looks like the RAM quota limit is a little buggy after changing it to MiB. After seven 128MiB containers it is not possible to deploy neither an eighth 128mib nor a 64MiB

@david said:
    I set up some Debian 128MB instances. So far so good. I did notice at these 2 locations the IPv6 address listed in the dashboard is different than the one that is automatically provisioned with the server.

Sandefjord
    Groningen

It is from the /64 allocation, but not the one that's provisioned and working. Not a problem, just for your info.

It has been already reported, its a known bug, will fix it at some point.

@fadedmaple said:

@Neoon said:

@fadedmaple said:

@Neoon said:

@Neoon said:
    OS availability updates
    - Added NixOS (LXC)

It looks like the RAM quota limit is a little buggy after changing it to MiB. After seven 128MiB containers it is not possible to deploy neither an eighth 128mib nor a 64MiB

I don' think its buggy, the resource allocation works different than you think.
    You can deploy more than 1 Container / VM per Node, however, if you do so, it cost you more.

This is to prevent people from putting everything on one Node.
    If its a small node, the second container already costs you double.

If its a bigger node, the third container cost you double and so on.

I agree I have to improve the error message to be more detailed.

Thanked by 1fadedmaple
  • a677-57df-c82f-a3e2

Thanks.

• daviddavid Member

If a location is out of stock, and an instance is terminated for that location, will stock for it be automatically added?

For example, if I terminate a 128MB instance, will I be able to create a new 64MB instance in the same location, and there will still be extra stock for someone else?

• WorldWorld Veteran

Is there any issues on SG? High load (50+) and ports not reachable - I checked via shell, outbound traffic is fine, so it might be a problem with port mapping/forwarding I guess.

@david said:
    If a location is out of stock, and an instance is terminated for that location, will stock for it be automatically added?

For example, if I terminate a 128MB instance, will I be able to create a new 64MB instance in the same location, and there will still be extra stock for someone else?

Automatically with a delay.

@World said:
    Is there any issues on SG? High load (50+) and ports not reachable - I checked via shell, outbound traffic is fine, so it might be a problem with port mapping/forwarding I guess.

Yea I see the 50+ Load, however Hetrixtools didn't report anything, so I didn't notice.
    I gave it a reboot, will keep an eye on it.

I don't see any issues regarding port forwarding at all, just did a test deploy went fine with all the ports. If you have an issue, check your end and please provide more information.

Thanked by 2World david
  • WorldWorld Veteran

@World said:

Yea I see the 50+ Load, however Hetrixtools didn't report anything, so I didn't notice.

I don't see any issues regarding port forwarding at all, just did a test deploy went fine with all the ports. If you have an issue, check your end and please provide more information.

After you rebooted the host server, everything works fine now :)

@World said:

@World said:

I tried it before, with a test deploy, before I rebooted it.
    Port forwarding was fine, that's why I asked.

The Node was still responsive, despite the Load of 50.
    No CPU Abuse or I/O abuse, from the looks of it, a stuck kernel thread was causing the Load.

However I could not tell what exactly the cause was, so I rebooted it.

@fadedmaple said:

@Neoon said:

@fadedmaple said:

@Neoon said:

@Neoon said:
    OS availability updates
    - Added NixOS (LXC)

On what Node did you try to deploy a container?
    Did you already have one or two on that node?

• WorldWorld Veteran

@Neoon said:

@World said:

@World said:

I tried it before, with a test deploy, before I rebooted it.
    Port forwarding was fine, that's why I asked.

The Node was still responsive, despite the Load of 50.
    No CPU Abuse or I/O abuse, from the looks of it, a stuck kernel thread was causing the Load.

However I could not tell what exactly the cause was, so I rebooted it.

Hmm.. When I noticed issues, I tried tcping on different ports from different locations, the results were all failed, then I rebooted my container but the problem still, then I logged into my container via control panel to see if it was actually "alive" - it was and outbound networking was fine. I also tried tcping on SSH ports for some "adjacent" containers - you know the default port for SSH always ends with 00, they were accessible. I have no idea for what causing the problem.