Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hetzner Online chitchat - Page 6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hetzner Online chitchat

Comments

• RedSoxRedSox Member

@pbx said:

LTniger said: Vultr, do, linode and few others are well established in US.

Sure, but hetzner can beat their pricing (if their US pricing is similar to what they offer in the EU) while offering a pretty solid product, better than what one man shows / cheapo hosts offer.

And they will beat all of them. Vultr, Linode, DO can't afford to sell 2 core 2 gb ram VPSes for just 4 bucks/mo, but Hetzner can. Hetzner is gonna dominate on the American market.

• berkayberkay Member
    edited May 2020

@RedSox said:

@pbx said:

Sure, but hetzner can beat their pricing (if their US pricing is similar to what they offer in the EU) while offering a pretty solid product, better than what one man shows / cheapo hosts offer.

And they will beat all of them. Vultr, Linode, DO can't afford to sell 2 core 2 gb ram VPSes for just 4 bucks/mo, but Hetzner can. Hetzner is gonna dominate on the American market.

Why do you think that Vultr, Linode and DO can’t sell at that price while Hetzner can? Cutting the price to the lowest point is not generally the main/leading business practice to follow on this scale; I’m quite sure that they don’t lower their prices because they simply don’t have to.

While I ❤️ Hetzner and its services, IMHO their current business practice and outreach can’t really indicate anything major on how well they will do with their future competitors; which are quite established in their markets.

Thanked by 1GayRun
  • jlayjlay Member
    edited May 2020

@pbx said:

Power and bandwidth I believe are typically more expensive in the states, it's going to make already thin margins more so

I wouldn't assume pricing/specs will be 1:1 for all facilities

Thanked by 1pbx
  • serv_eeserv_ee Member

@berkay said:

@RedSox said:

@pbx said:

Why do you think that Vultr, Linode and DO can’t sell at that price while Hetzner can? Cutting the price to the lowest point is not generally the main/leading business practice to follow on this scale; I’m quite sure that they don’t lower their prices because they simply don’t have to.

While I ❤️ Hetzner and its services, IMHO their current business practice and outreach can’t really indicate anything major on how well they will do with their future competitors; which are quite established in their markets.

One easy reason, at least when it comes to DO.

They have had so much money pumped into them by venture capital they need to meet some expectations or someone will be changed from the higher up so while technically they could meet Hetzner prices, they wont.

Hetzner on the other hand...they dont care. No one is arm twisting them to do something. At least so it looks.

Thanked by 1pbx
  • berkayberkay Member

@serv_ee said:

@berkay said:

@RedSox said:

@pbx said:

One easy reason, at least when it comes to DO.

They have had so much money pumped into them by venture capital they need to meet some expectations or someone will be changed from the higher up so while technically they could meet Hetzner prices, they wont.

Hetzner on the other hand...they dont care. No one is arm twisting them to do something. At least so it looks.

Yeah, DO really looks that way with their numerous rounds of investments.

• Even without those investors needing to be pleased DO, Vultr and the like have a strong enough image, brand and market presence that they can charge those prices and make significant sales. How many people would actually use the likes of Hetzner, OVH etc if it weren't for their cheap pricing?

Thanked by 1pbx
  • serv_eeserv_ee Member
    edited May 2020

Maybe its just me but I knew about hetzner and ovh long before I even saw the likes of DO and Vultr, to be totally honest first time hearing about vultr was on here. And I still dont even know what they do as I just havent even opened their site so far. Guess I aint missing out on anything either.

Edit:
    Well, I tried to google it at least just now and...well...this is kinda funny.

Ads

Vultr - Best price/performance ratio - OVH.ie‎
    Ad·
    www.ovh.ie/

Choose the best infrastructure for your business applications with OVHcloud. Transparent pricing and fast delivery times. 30 Datacentres. 20 Tbps network capacity.

Thanked by 1pbx
  • @serv_ee said:
    Maybe its just me but I knew about hetzner and ovh long before I even saw the likes of DO and Vultr, to be totally honest first time hearing about vultr was on here. And I still dont even know what they do as I just havent even opened their site so far. Guess I aint missing out on anything either.

Edit:
    Well, I tried to google it at least just now and...well...this is kinda funny.

Ads

Vultr - Best price/performance ratio - OVH.ie‎
    Ad·
    www.ovh.ie/

Choose the best infrastructure for your business applications with OVHcloud. Transparent pricing and fast delivery times. 30 Datacentres. 20 Tbps network capacity.

Absolutely, DO and Vultr target a different type of market in that they are a lot more simple, easy to get setup and offers a lot of features that wouldn't be available in such a way through a dedicated server, which is mainly what OVH and Hetzner are targeting, even if OVH have gone 'cloud' now.

• donkodonko Member

i hope network firewall for cloud servers were implemented soon

• uzaysanuzaysan Member

@berkay said:

@RedSox said:

@pbx said:

Teyfik Sikret?

• berkayberkay Member

@uzaysan said:

@berkay said:

@RedSox said:

@pbx said:

Teyfik Sikret?

No, just as a reference to Douglas Reynholm. But the picture itself is taken from his account 🙂

• Hetzner_OLHetzner_OL Member, Top Host

You guys are worse than my friends in high school. But I suppose it's all fair since I named this thread "Hetzner Online chitchat". As you all know, we at Hetzner like to keep mum about any new developments. We enjoy surprising people with good news. So I am neither confirming or denying anything. I plead the fifth, etc. If/when we have any set plans, we will post it on our social media channels. --Katie

• 0x650x65 Member

@Hetzner_OL said:

You guys are worse than my friends in high school. But I suppose it's all fair since I named this thread "Hetzner Online chitchat". As you all know, we at Hetzner like to keep mum about any new developments. We enjoy surprising people with good news. So I am neither confirming or denying anything. I plead the fifth, etc. If/when we have any set plans, we will post it on our social media channels. --Katie

This statement reminded me first tweet of CIA.

Thanked by 2AC_Fan Hetzner_OL

That's exactly the kind of statement I was going for. ;) I can't remember which silly movie I was thinking of when I wrote it though. --Katie

• shmushmu Member

@Hetzner_OL said:

You guys are worse than my friends in high school.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • AC_FanAC_Fan Member

@Hetzner_OL said:

Thank you for the confirmation.

We've got a handy how-to to help you procrastinate. This tutorial guides you through getting a Let's Encrypt certificate for your domain while using the Hetzner DNS service and its API. --Katie

• SkuraSkura Member

We need you here in the middle east (Israel) !

• sibapersibaper Member

@Hetzner_OL said:
    We've got a handy how-to to help you procrastinate. This tutorial guides you through getting a Let's Encrypt certificate for your domain while using the Hetzner DNS service and its API. --Katie

That tutorial will be handy when I need to deploy my server on USA location

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL

Sunny greetings from Falkenstein...

Hope that you're all able to enjoy some summer weather! --Katie

Thanked by 1LightBlade
  • When do you get RTX 2080 or RTX 3xxx series GPU servers? GTX 1080 is getting old.. (Unless theres 2 of them). Then I could consider.

To the best of my knowledge, we are not planning on releasing any more GPU servers in the near future. Unfortunately our last GPU model seemed to attract people who abused our services. That's why we have not created a new generation for this model and sell it only on the Server Auction. --Katie

• LeviLevi Member

@Hetzner_OL said:
    To the best of my knowledge, we are not planning on releasing any more GPU servers in the near future. Unfortunately our last GPU model seemed to attract people who abused our services. That's why we have not created a new generation for this model and sell it only on the Server Auction. --Katie

Could you clarify how can you abuse graphic card in a server? Password cracking?

• @LTniger said:

@Hetzner_OL said:

Could you clarify how can you abuse graphic card in a server? Password cracking?

Probably more along the lines of "not paying"

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • @LTniger said:

@Hetzner_OL said:

Maybe crypto mining?

Thanked by 1Tempest

@teamacc & @uzaysan -- A bit of both, unfortunately. --Katie

• Maybe they tried to pay in cryptocurrency.
    A "hole in one".

• EX42-NVME in HEL1 Please :D

Hi @LightBlade - I'm sorry that these aren't available in Helsinki. If you need a server quick, perhaps the AX41-NVMe is alternative that could work. Or you could go big and get an EX52-NVMe. Or perhaps one of the servers in the Server Auction will meet your needs, and you can save on setup fees. We always update our website, Robot, and our wiki when models become available in new locations. However, I unfortunately can't give you a firm date for if/when the EX42-NVMe will be available in Helsinki. --Katie

Thanked by 1LightBlade
  • HaxHax Member
    edited June 2020

@Hetzner_OL Any plan of adding PayPal as payment method to konsoleH?