Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hetzner Online chitchat - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hetzner Online chitchat

Comments

• Hetzner_OLHetzner_OL Member, Top Host

Bees are buzzing, flowers are blooming, and the leaves on the trees are that happy spring green. One of our coworkers caught images of another leaf -- one of our cloud leaf switches.

Sometimes it's nice to end the workweek with a small success. If you're looking for quick win, why not set up a MicroK8s cluster? We've got a handy guide on our Community Tutorial page that takes just about 30 minutes. Here's some more information on MicroK8s. Hope you all have a happy Friday! :smiley: --Katie

• JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

@Hetzner_OL said:
    Bees are buzzing, flowers are blooming, and the leaves on the trees are that happy spring green. One of our coworkers caught images of another leaf -- one of our cloud leaf switches.

Sometimes it's nice to end the workweek with a small success. If you're looking for quick win, why not set up a MicroK8s cluster? We've got a handy guide on our Community Tutorial page that takes just about 30 minutes. Here's some more information on MicroK8s. Hope you all have a happy Friday! :smiley: --Katie

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • boerndboernd Member

https://shop.hetzner.com/

There is a Hetzner fan shop and they didn't told us

Thanked by 1Falzo
    edited May 2020

Yes, that's true @boernd . It just went up today and we didn't advertise it because it's still so new and we can only accept orders in Germany at the moment. However, if you're in Germany, we'll take your order. If you have any feedback you'd like me to pass on, let me know. :) --Katie

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • Hi guys. Will you be restocking the EX42-NVME in Helsinki any time soon?

• @VeryCool said:
    Hi guys. Will you be restocking the EX42-NVME in Helsinki any time soon?

i'm waiting too... EX42-NVMe in HEL. Any update @Hetzner_OL ??

Hi @VeryCool and @LightBlade - I'm sorry, but I don't have any firm information on new deliveries. Even though things seem to be slowly returning to normal, there is still very high demand for some products, staff shortages, and logistical issues. As soon as we have models available there, we'll update the website.
    The EX52-NVMe is more expensive, but it's available now. The wait time is only a few minutes to 1 workday: https://wiki.hetzner.de/index.php/Auftragsbearbeitung/en --Katie

Thanked by 2LightBlade VeryCool
  • fLoofLoo Member

@Hetzner_OL

When is it possible to see which Hostnode my Cloudserver is based on? Afaik you wanted to add this several months ago, just asking, because for me, i'd like to spread my VPS across several nodes.

Appreciated.

• uzaysanuzaysan Member

Hi @Hetzner_OL . I got a warning from German Federal Office for Information Security (BSI). and hetzner forwarded that message to me. I have MongoDB database. Email says my database is open for the whole internet and it can be a risk. Yes they are right. I didn't setup any security or firewall because I was using database for development porposes. and trying to learn how database works. I dont store any personal information of mine or someone else.

But After Message. My database data is deleted. I didn't do that. So Did Hetzner delete the data (I saw email 1 day later). Or German government hacked it or something and they send email to protect databse? Can you ask hetzner how this works? Simple explanation will be enough.

• boerndboernd Member

If there is no authentication everyone could access and delete it.

Thanked by 2vimalware Hetzner_OL
  • dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

uzaysan said: I didn't setup any security or firewall because I was using database for development porposes.

I think this is a common mistake. A hacker, script kiddie, botnet etc. simply does not care for what purpose you have installed it. If a public accessible ressource is found on the internet, it will be (ab)used by someone for sure.

So especially if you are just using it for your own development, make it accessible only for you. For example binding services to localhost and using ssh port forwarding to access it is just as easy as it is secure.

• FalzoFalzo Member

@uzaysan said:

BSI in germany runs tests against tons of known provider subnets automatically and "provides" these warning-messages... the providers are required to forward them to you.

usually they contain a paragraph that holds information from Hetzner, that they are required to forward it to you, and that you should investigate. however they won't suspend your services for that, as there usually can be legitimate use cases for what's tested there.

they for sure won't delete something in your service. also the BSI/government won't do that, they are just screening for certain open ports and resend the automatic notifications over and over.

tl;dr; as others stated, most likely the thing BSI warned about might have happened already and someone else found your open service and wiggled his way into it. or you yourself somehow messed it up and deleted your db.

recommendation: speed up your learning. secure your server ;-)

• uzaysanuzaysan Member
    edited May 2020

@Falzo said:

@uzaysan said:

BSI in germany runs tests against tons of known provider subnets automatically and "provides" these warning-messages... the providers are required to forward them to you.

usually they contain a paragraph that holds information from Hetzner, that they are required to forward it to you, and that you should investigate. however they won't suspend your services for that, as there usually can be legitimate use cases for what's tested there.

they for sure won't delete something in your service. also the BSI/government won't do that, they are just screening for certain open ports and resend the automatic notifications over and over.

tl;dr; as others stated, most likely the thing BSI warned about might have happened already and someone else found your open service and wiggled his way into it. or you yourself somehow messed it up and deleted your db.

recommendation: speed up your learning. secure your server ;-)

Actually my database requires a username and a password for write/read action. So i guess i did something wrong . I'm using docker for mongodb. İ read somewhere else that if i restart docker, my database will be deleted. Do you know anything about this? İs this true?

Edit: i found out it's true. When you restart docker and if you didn't mount mongo volume to non docker path, your database will be deleted. So i guess I deleted database when restarting docker.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • @Hetzner_OL said:
    Yes, that's true @boernd . It just went up today and we didn't advertise it because it's still so new and we can only accept orders in Germany at the moment. However, if you're in Germany, we'll take your order. If you have any feedback you'd like me to pass on, let me know. :) --Katie

Delivery will be available also outside Germany?

@fLoo - Maybe I misstated something in the past. A feature of this nature is on our customer wishlist, but our dev team has not yet started working on it. And you probably already know about our policy of not publishing roadmaps, so unfortunately, I cannot give you a date for when they will start.
    Have you tried reaching out to our team via a support ticket about creating instances across different nodes? Perhaps they can suggest a workaround?

@uzaysan - The responses from the other readers here is good advice. Our unmanaged servers are not meant as teaching tools. You as the administrator are completely responsible for securing your server. Until you get more experience, perhaps a managed server would be a better option for you. Or you could pay someone with more experience to help you out for now.

@tetahost - If things go well, we may consider expanding the shop and allowing orders from elsewhere in the future. But for the time being, we are only accepting orders from Germany. As I said, things are still in the beta phase. So no, we are not currently delivering outside of Germany.
    --Katie

Thanked by 1fLoo
  • debaserdebaser Member

Hetzner_OL said: So no, we are not currently delivering outside of Germany.

You know, some people say that The Netherlands is the 17th Bundesland...

Thanked by 2RedSox Hetzner_OL
  • Hetzner_OL said: @tetahost - If things go well, we may consider expanding the shop and allowing orders from elsewhere in the future. But for the time being, we are only accepting orders from Germany. As I said, things are still in the beta phase. So no, we are not currently delivering outside of Germany.

Thanks for your answer. Hopefully we can order soon o:)

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL

I can't say that I have any Monday blues today - the sun here in Nuremberg is shining and the birds are singing. But for those of you who do, maybe this cool pic of our dedicated root servers will cheer you up just a bit... --Katie

Thanked by 3fLoo Jord maverickp

The workweek is almost over! Time to relax -- but wait -- have you got a decent monitoring tool keeping track of your systems? If not, check out our latest tutorial:

You can learn how to install Netdata to monitor your server systems and applications. Plus you can use NGINX to set up a reverse proxy so you're can prevent public access to the Netdata interface. Netdata is a highly-optimized monitoring agent that you can install on Linux servers. --Katie

• LeviLevi Member

Please, start sending goods from shop.hetzner.com to other countries. Personaly I would like t-shirt with 'hotznar' word. Like hetzner, just hotter.

Thanked by 1tetahost

I'm glad to hear that you can't wait to get your hands on one of our t-shirts. I'll be sure to post any news about the Hetzner Shop here. :) :) --Katie

• shmushmu Member

what is that Katie https://bgp.he.net/AS213230 ? ^^

Country of Origin: United States

as-name: HETZNER-CLOUD2-AS

Thanked by 2AC_Fan seriesn
  • AC_FanAC_Fan Member

@shmu said:

And it even seems to have legitimate information in contact section.

Don't mind me, I'm just going to go and hype myself up.

Thanked by 1shmu
  • fLoofLoo Member

@shmu said:

created: 2020-04-03T15:01:19Z
    last-modified: 2020-04-03T15:01:19Z

Guess what this means :P

• OwO

• shmushmu Member

@fLoo said:

created: 2020-04-03T15:01:19Z
    last-modified: 2020-04-03T15:01:19Z

Guess what this means :P

not an april joke :P that counts for the as-block AS196608 - AS213403

aut-num: AS213230

created: 2020-05-14T10:00:34Z
    last-modified: 2020-05-15T07:42:38Z

• pbxpbx Member

Some US providers are in for a tough time is hetzner is planning to enter the north american market.

• LeviLevi Member

@pbx said:
    Some US providers are in for a tough time is hetzner is planning to enter the north american market.

Highly doubt about that. Vultr, do, linode and few others are well established in US. Hetz will be 'one more' player in arena there. Of course if they have enough beef to compete with them at all.

• pbxpbx Member

LTniger said: Vultr, do, linode and few others are well established in US.

Sure, but hetzner can beat their pricing (if their US pricing is similar to what they offer in the EU) while offering a pretty solid product, better than what one man shows / cheapo hosts offer.

Thanked by 1RedSox
  • I remember the same being said about OVH going into the US but they seem to have had little affect there - Hetzner will be the same. I'd be surprised if we see Hetzner anywhere near ready to launch in the US this year now though, i'd say its a good while off before they can deploy there on the same scale as they do in Germany, but it'll be interesting regardless

Thanked by 1pbx