Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hetzner Online chitchat - Page 20
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hetzner Online chitchat

Comments

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@Hetzner_OL Suggest cloud team to add AlmaLinux to the cloud VM deployment options.

• AstroAstro Member

Between FSN and HEL - whats the preferred location for servers for folks around here?

• @Astro said:
    Between FSN and HEL - whats the preferred location for servers for folks around here?

HEL because I live in Finland, but also because they have cheaper prices for some servers like AX41.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@Astro said:

Sir, I have had servers in both locations and there is little practical difference in my use case. I can confidently state that I would accept a server in either location if I were to use Hetzner once more.

Thanked by 1iKeyZ
  • AXYZEAXYZE Member
    edited May 2022

@Astro said:

FSN better pings to Poland (still not ideal, routes to FRA and then back to PL which is slower than AMS providers. HEL is like LON or worse, crazy routes). I didnt observe any other difference. Both are solid. Check routes and decide for yourself :)

• Hetzner_OLHetzner_OL Member, Top Host

@MikeA said:
    @Hetzner_OL Suggest cloud team to add AlmaLinux to the cloud VM deployment options.

I'd be happy to pass this along to our development team so that this request could go on the wish list. I can't promise anything, but I'll definitely bring this suggestion up :) -Lea

• 0xbkt0xbkt Member

Hetzner Australia soon?

https://www.peeringdb.com/net/25762

Thanked by 2Erisa varwww

@0xbkt -- Ooh, that's the first time I've seen that. To the best of my knowledge, we are not opening a new location in Australia any time soon. But I will try to track down some more information about this.

Until then... here's our tech pic for this Friday. --Katie

• MrEdMrEd Member

@0xbkt said:
    Hetzner Australia soon?

https://www.peeringdb.com/net/25762

You will have to wait till they bring the cable to AU. :D

@0xbkt I asked the networking team about this and they told me that this is just a general measure to improve our network. If there is any news about new locations that I can announce, I will make sure to do that here and on our other social media channels.
    Out of curiosity, LET readers, what would be your dream location if we were to open a new one...? --Katie

Thanked by 1lanefu
  • NetDynamics24NetDynamics24 Member, Host Rep

@Hetzner_OL said:
    Out of curiosity, LET readers, what would be your dream location if we were to open a new one...? --Katie

You should create a poll ;)

Thanked by 1lanefu
  • dosaidosai Member

@Hetzner_OL said:
    @0xbkt I asked the networking team about this and they told me that this is just a general measure to improve our network. If there is any news about new locations that I can announce, I will make sure to do that here and on our other social media channels.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

@Hetzner_OL said:

Any chance of something on the site of what was Michael Jackson’s Neverland ranch? I know that’s a bit niche, but it’s a great location.

Thanked by 1pike
  • varwwwvarwww Member
    edited May 2022

@Hetzner_OL said: what would be your dream location if we were to open a new one...?

Since EU and America is already covered, maybe Singapore (better ping for Asia)

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • mhnmhn Member

@Hetzner_OL said: Out of curiosity, LET readers, what would be your dream location if we were to open a new one...? --Katie

USA dedis

• pri11erpri11er Member

@Hetzner_OL said:

Well, since you have a us-east network zone, us-west seems like a logical addition.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL

IT’S GIVEAWAY TIME! We’re so excited to announce that we turned 25! And we want to celebrate with YOU by saying thank you in 25 ways!
    Order a dedicated root server in June and get the chance to win one of 25 prizes!
    Go to https://win.hetzner.com/ to learn more about the giveaway and to see the official terms of participation! The winners will be contacted on 15 July 2022 via email.
    Don’t miss it! Enter now or by Thursday, 30 June 2022 by 11:59pm (CEST)!

We wish y’all good luck! --Katie

Thanked by 1_MS_
  • _MS__MS_ Member

@Hetzner_OL said:

IT’S GIVEAWAY TIME! We’re so excited to announce that we turned 25! And we want to celebrate with YOU by saying thank you in 25 ways!
    Order a dedicated root server in June and get the chance to win one of 25 prizes!
    Go to https://win.hetzner.com/ to learn more about the giveaway and to see the official terms of participation! The winners will be contacted on 15 July 2022 via email.

Congratulations :)

Send free Hetzner (laptop) stickers to the next 25 people who congratulate you.
    The people who look at my laptop have money to buy dedis (not me).
    Danke.

Thanked by 1brejski
  • MS said:

@Hetzner_OL said:

Congratulations :)

Send free Hetzner (laptop) stickers to the next 25 people who congratulate you.
    The people who look at my laptop have money to buy dedis (not me).
    Danke.

This is a good idea! It would be another sticker after RackNerd on my desktop 😀

• tester4tester4 Member
    edited June 2022

Any plans to introduce AlmaLinux support for Hetzner Cloud? You have Rocky, seems a bit strange not to have Alma as well. @Hetzner_OL

• Any plans of Hetzner allowing free Plesk/DirectAdmin on VMs?

• eriseris Member

Probally never... Without any free licenses they keep the prices low...

• m4num4nu Member, Patron Provider

@Hetzner_OL said: Out of curiosity, LET readers, what would be your dream location if we were to open a new one...? --Katie

Anywhere in Asia (SG, HK, JP). It's a growing market, but the server situation is much worse than in the US and Europe.

Thanked by 3AXYZE nick_ Hetzner_OL
  • AXYZEAXYZE Member
    edited June 2022

@Hetzner_OL said:

Los Angeles, USA / Japan / Singapore

LA has very good connectivity to East Asia & Oceania and would be nice "USA backup" for current Ashburn location.
    If clients are using free Cloudflare and they want to serve asian visitors then its better to host server in LA than in Asia as CF routes a lot of traffic to LA. It changes in Business tier.

Thanked by 2nick_ Hetzner_OL
  • SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

Probably Singapore .

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL

@tester4 said:
    Any plans to introduce AlmaLinux support for Hetzner Cloud? You have Rocky, seems a bit strange not to have Alma as well. @Hetzner_OL

For now we decided to provide only CentOS Stream and Rocky Linux as alternatives to deprecating CentOS 7/8 releases. It is still possible to install Alma Linux manually using our iso images. AlmaLinux 8.5 is available as image there. If you need a different version just open a ticket from your account and provide the respective direct download link and we will be happy to add it for you :smile: -Lea

**Good news about the sweepstakes! ** It is now possible to participate without having to buy a dedicated root server. So people who are already customers can also take part! Check it out.

MS - Thanks for your suggestion about the stickers. I don't think we in the marketing team will have the man-power to do that this time, unfortunately. (Some people are out sick.) But we will keep it in mind for the future, though! It's nice to know that you still love getting stickers. --Katie

Thanked by 2_MS_ Erisa
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited June 2022

Congratulations @Hetzner_OL ! I'd love to attend to it but it's definitely not possible :-(.

BTW fixed your link which wasn't working properly. :)

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL

One, two, three - which option will it be? 🧐

With our newest cloud feature Primary IPs, you can now choose from three networking options for your server. Simply add, remove or replace a server's IPv4/IPv6 to enable or disable the public network.
    Try it out now console.hetzner.cloud 🚀

• ErisaErisa Member

@Hetzner_OL said:
    One, two, three - which option will it be? 🧐

With our newest cloud feature Primary IPs, you can now choose from three networking options for your server. Simply add, remove or replace a server's IPv4/IPv6 to enable or disable the public network.
    Try it out now console.hetzner.cloud 🚀

This is huge news and I've been looking forward to it for a while, a huge congratulations and thanks to everyone who helped make this possible!

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL