Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hetzner Online chitchat - Page 18
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hetzner Online chitchat

Comments

• FYI PM9A3 is used on i9-12900K

• @AXYZE said:

@varwww said:
    Coupon Code LTT22 for $20 off. This code is only valid for new cloud users.

I'm curious if Linus also wont get penny from affiliation, just like me.

Pending from 2021. I contacted them about it and they said they banned me and there wont be futher explanation xdddddd professional company

Damn, this is sad. Deserves a thread of its own to get more input from other LET users. Using Hetzner Cloud for 2 years without any issues but I have not used the referral system.

• Hetzner_OLHetzner_OL Member, Top Host

Our team has updated the Storage Box packages so you get even more bang for your buck. Check them out. --Katie

@AXYZE -- Can you give me more information? (If you have a ticket number, could you give it to me?) Did they ban you from the referral program or did they ban your account? --Katie

• @Hetzner_OL said: Our team has updated the Storage Box packages so you get even more bang for your buck. Check them out. --Katie

Any plans for providing a S3 compatible API to these storage boxes? Most of my apps expect it and I'd have picked up one in an instant if it were supported.

Thanked by 1lanefu
  • rick2610rick2610 Member
    edited February 2022

@stevewatson301 said:

@Hetzner_OL said: Our team has updated the Storage Box packages so you get even more bang for your buck. Check them out. --Katie

Any plans for providing a S3 compatible API to these storage boxes? Most of my apps expect it and I'd have picked up one in an instant if it were supported.

+1

Yes, Would be great if the storage boxes would have minio installed.

To the best of my knowledge, this isn't planned for the near future, but I can pass that information (and +1s) onto the dev team for you. --Katie

Thanked by 2rick2610 Ponury_Typ
  • @rick2610 said: Yes, Would be great if the storage boxes would have minio installed.

@Hetzner_OL said:
    To the best of my knowledge, this isn't planned for the near future, but I can pass that information (and +1s) onto the dev team for you. --Katie

To be fair, you'd do well to avoid installing minio on these boxes and perhaps implementing a small subset of the S3 API yourself. The S3 API's access patterns don't play well with a file-based hierarchy and I've had a frustrating experience with minio crashing with anything above 1 concurrent file upload.

• These are nextcloud powered right?

• @Astro said:
    These are nextcloud powered right?

The storage boxes are just "pure" storage. You're probably thinking of their storage shares

Thanked by 2Hetzner_OL Astro
  • @Hetzner_OL said:
    @AXYZE -- Can you give me more information? (If you have a ticket number, could you give it to me?) Did they ban you from the referral program or did they ban your account? --Katie

Ofc I have ticket number
    Ticket#2021112503014883
    I got reply that I was banned, then I replied where I posted links so you could check that it wasnt abusive or anything. Nobody replied to that...

I didnt spam, I didnt self-ref to abuse, I have only 1 account for years. I understand that I could something wrong, what I dont understand is silent ban and then no reply to my evidence, no info what I exactly did wrong.

Like seriously, I know that I didnt have a lot of services for all these years, but I never ever abused your system, never used 14days cancelation and had good intentions by promoting your service.

Theres no reason why I should be banned, only thing is that maybe abusive MJJs users joined Hetzner by my link? But even then, verification is your problem and... would you ban Linus for that too?

Thanked by 1dosai

@AXYZE - I can't promise that I can do anything here. I am also not sure about how the team reviews people participating in that program. But I will ask someone to look at the ticket. Please give him some time. If something changes, either he or I will contact you. --Katie

• @Hetzner_OL How long will it take to upgrade to AX41-NVME? It's two days after I ordered in robot.

@Toc - It should be soon. It generally takes 2-3 business days to process those. See our current times for these posted here. If it is not ready at the end of the 3rd day, feel free to write to the support team to ask about the status of your order. --Katie

• Any updates for managed Kubernetes cluster? :smiley:

@soasurs -- No. We don't publish roadmaps, and I cannot confirm that this is in the works. When we have news, we do our best to publish that information on social media and in threads like this one on forums.

It's that time of year again -- time for our Seasons Special, where we remove the setup fees on selected dedicated root servers. This time we're letting you skip the setup on all AX dedicated root servers with AMD Ryzen™ CPUs. --Katie

Thanked by 2BlazinDimes jon617
  • @Hetzner_OL any info when spring sale will end? :) Would love to know this to schedule optimal servers transfer.

• ErisaErisa Member
    edited March 2022

@dodheimsgard said:
    @Hetzner_OL any info when spring sale will end? :) Would love to know this to schedule optimal servers transfer.

No end date set. Could end anytime.
    The newsroom post says "This sale is good for a undefined amount of time!"

• ErisaErisa Member
    edited March 2022

Today Hetzner has announced intentions to develop and release ARM-based products using Ampere CPUs!
    https://www.hetzner.com/presse-berichte/2022/03/167137

They also launched a new server a few days ago, the EX43 based on Intel Core i5-12500: https://www.hetzner.com/dedicated-rootserver/ex43

And it seems setup fees are currently being waived for EX42, EX52 and EX62 (plus their nvme variants), though I can't find an announcement on this, I just noticed!

Very excited to see the future developments at Hetzner! I love their fast innovation speed.

Thanked by 2bulbasaur Hetzner_OL
  • Heads up for those using their Storage Box:

Hetzner has changed their Storage Box plans last month, and in general making them cheaper. However, if you're on their old storage box plans, you will not be converted automatically to the equivalent new plan and Hetzner will continue invoicing you for the obsolete and more expensive plan.

So for the last month I was charged over twice the cost of the new plan. It would have been nice if Hetzner sent out an email to their Storage Box customers, letting us know about these changes and that we need to manually change our plans to get the better price. :/

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • CrabCrab Member

It will be pretty interesting to see how Ampere instances are going to be implemented in their portfolio. They have been working well for Oracle in the free tier, but I'm sure Hetzner puts a price tag on them. Whether they are going to be 'LowEndFriendly' or something else, shall be seen. Definitely looking forward to them though.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • m4num4nu Member, Patron Provider
    edited April 2022

PSA: @Hetzner_OL is currently using a misconfigured DDoS system in their Finland DC. So if DDoS mitigation is triggered (happens if you get more traffic) for your server there, the first IPv4 connection (didn't see IPv6 affected for now) to any port will always be intercepted and closed with spoofed packets. If a second connection is made within a few second, that will succeed.

You will see the issue if router ddos-mitigation.dc1.hel1.hetzner is in your traceroute. Like this:

My traceroute  [v0.93]

cassiopeia                                             2022-04-01T18:44:15+0200
    Keys:  Help   Display mode   Restart statistics   Order of fields   quit
                                           Packets               Pings
     Host                                Loss%   Snt   Last   Avg  Best  Wrst StDev
     1. fritz.box                         0.0%     6    1.2   1.2   1.1   1.4   0.1
     9. hetzner-svc076536-ic365572.ip.tw  0.0%     5   38.2  40.2  38.2  46.9   3.8
    10. core32.hel1.hetzner.com           0.0%     5   39.3  39.0  38.5  39.3   0.3
    11. ddos-mitigation.dc1.hel1.hetzner  0.0%     5   40.3  38.9  37.7  40.5   1.4
    12. hel1-dc3-ex9k1.hetzner.com        0.0%     5   38.9  38.1  37.7  38.9   0.5
    13. static.xx.33.21.65.clients.your-  0.0%     5   38.0  37.9  37.6  38.5   0.3

If this router isn't involved, it's all good:

My traceroute  [v0.93]
    cassiopeia                                             2022-04-01T18:43:36+0200
    Keys:  Help   Display mode   Restart statistics   Order of fields   quit
                                           Packets               Pings
     Host                                Loss%   Snt   Last   Avg  Best  Wrst StDev
     1. fritz.box                         0.0%     6    1.3   1.2   1.2   1.3   0.0
     8. hetzner-svc076536-ic365572.ip.tw  0.0%     5   38.6  39.1  38.6  39.6   0.5
     9. core32.hel1.hetzner.com           0.0%     5   38.8  41.2  38.8  49.3   4.5
    10. ex9k1.dc3.hel1.hetzner.com        0.0%     5   37.8  38.3  37.8  39.5   0.7
    11. static.xx.33.21.65.clients.your-  0.0%     5   38.1  38.1  37.8  38.2   0.2

Here how it looks with Netcat: Connect to a random closed port on your server. This connection should fail, but it succeeds and is then closed by their DDoS system with spoofed packets:

$ nc -v 65.21.33.xx 2222
    Connection to 65.21.33.81 2222 port [tcp/EtherNet/IP-1] succeeded!

This connection never reaches your server, but you see some spoofed replies from Hetzner's DDoS:

# tcpdump -i any -c50 -nn host 65.21.33.xx
    dropped privs to tcpdump
    tcpdump: verbose output suppressed, use -v or -vv for full protocol decode
    listening on any, link-type LINUX_SLL (Linux cooked v1), capture size 262144 bytes
    15:27:08.358067 IP 10.142.0.8.43370 > 65.21.33.xx.2222: Flags [S], seq 2930149373, win 28400, options [mss 1420,sackOK,TS val 1037252515 ecr 0,nop,wscale 7], length 0
    15:27:08.470783 IP 65.21.33.xx.2222 > 10.142.0.8.43370: Flags [S.], seq 921153811, ack 2930149374, win 16384, options [mss 1460], length 0
    15:27:08.470915 IP 10.142.0.8.43370 > 65.21.33.xx.2222: Flags [.], ack 1, win 28400, length 0
    15:27:08.583158 IP 65.21.33.xx.2222 > 10.142.0.8.43370: Flags [R.], seq 1, ack 1, win 16384, length 0

Try again within a few seconds and the connection finally reaches your server and is refused there (since the port is closed). This is the expected behavior:

$ nc -v 65.21.33.xx 2222
    nc: connect to 65.21.33.xx port 2222 (tcp) failed: Connection refused

So if services on your Hetzner server are failing, you need to open a ticket and ask for the DDoS mitigation to be disabled. They can't disable it permanently, so it may come back and you need to ask to disable it again. This started in the last ~2 weeks. Maybe due to cyber attack in Finland?? Still pretty annoying.

Sorry LETters for my absence recently. I have been busy helping to train a new social media manager. Hopefully I will be able to introduce them soon to you all.

@dodheimsgard & @Erisa - In our last customer newsletter, we announced that the the Seasons Special (free setup sale) will end at the end of April.

@Erisa, Thanks for posting the good news about our cooperation with Ampere. I appreciate that. Thanks also for mentioning that we added those EX models to the sale.

@Erisa and @Wallboy - We have a monthly customer newsletter where we announce sales and new generations of products, as well as other interesting news. https://www.hetzner.com/newsroom/newsletter?country=ot We announced both the EX models being on sale and the new Storage Box generation there and on our social media channels.

@m4nu - Thanks for passing on that information about the DDoS protection issue. Please continue to communicate with our Network Team via your last support ticket if you continue to have an issue with this. If anyone else is affected, please write a support ticket via Robot/Cloud Console.
    --Katie

• @AXYZE said:
    what I dont understand is silent ban and then no reply to my evidence, no info what I exactly did wrong.

You're not the only one. If you ever get your money, take it elsewhere. :) They run the company like #linux.

• ericlsericls Member, Patron Provider

Glad to see the future of ARM clusters. Good thing I don't need to cross compile anymore

Thanked by 1Erisa

@mosquitoguy - We responded directly with @AXYZE to resolve this issue. Did you also experience a similar problem with Hetzner Cloud's referral program? If you already wrote a ticket about it, and got no response or an unsatisfactory response, please let me know (give me the ticket number), and I will ask my colleague to look at your case. --Katie

@ericls - We're also psyched about developing innovative ARM-based products based on Ampere technology. If we are mum about that for awhile, don't be surprised. We will likely not make another announcement until we are ready to go live. We prefer to make our products going live pleasant surprises rather than announcing a set date in advance.

@nanankcornering - I know your post was several days ago. Again, I am sorry that I haven't had more time to be able to dedicated to LET recently. The team updated this status report after your post.

By the way, people with really sharp eyes may have noticed that our signature changed ever so slightly. Over the past few weeks, I have been showing my new colleague, Lea, the ropes here at Hetzner. She's our new Social Media Manager, so you'll gradually be seeing more and more of her in the future. Some of you who follow us on our other social media channels may have seen posts from her already. I hope you'll help to give her a warm welcome here at LET.

She'll continue to post Hetzner news, Hetzner-related pictures, info about new tutorials and other similar stuff here. --Katie

Thanked by 1pri11er
  • LeeLee Veteran

@Hetzner_OL said: I have been showing my new colleague, Lea, the ropes here at Hetzner.

Welcome Lea.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL

Hi y'all - have you ever heard of our Hetzner Online Community? B)
    The heart of our Community is the tutorial area in addition to our frequently visited forum. The free collection of high-quality tutorials, which are based on free and open source software, includes texts on a variety of topics such as development, system administration, and other web technology. We would like to give all users an extra hand so that they get their projects off to a good start. Together with the community, we will continually expand and update the collection.
    Share your knowledge and get rewarded! We will put up to € 50 on your account for every relevant tutorial which fulfills our criteria and isn’t published anywhere else yet!
    If your ready to dive in, then click here https://github.com/hetzneronline/community-content and write your own tutorial!

If you have any questions or need a hand getting started, we will be happy to help you. Please check out the Hetzner Tutorial Guidelines before submitting your tutorial. -Lea