Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why are the LEB Feed offers, posted in offers allowed to break the rules? - Page 9
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why are the LEB Feed offers, posted in offers allowed to break the rules?

Comments

• @seriesn said:

@AlwaysSkint said:
    Plagued by slow CF TTFB & pishin' about with CF SSL...

Sounds like you are having a wonderful weekend .

I would rather prefer the TPS reports.

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • AlwaysSkintAlwaysSkint Member
    edited November 2019

@seriesn Server itself is super quick! :)

@vyas11 said:
    I would rather prefer the TPS reports.

(Waste of space) Telephone Preference Service?
    Throttle Position Sensor? :-p

Continual growth of now 60k connections (displayed in munin) is a concern - never seen this before. :-/
    EDIT: reduced the crazy timeout drastically from the default 5 days. Must me a debian thang. :-p

• Sorry guys, giving up in disgust over a string of issues.. webmin and its' PITA ways, TCP connections being held open, Cloudflare SSL (kinda working) and rewrites not working. Guess, I'm too used to cPanel/CWP.
    DA control panel might be a better option along with a donated VPS.
    Close but no cigar.

Thanked by 3uptime ITLabs vyas11
  • vimalwarevimalware Member
    edited November 2019

@AlwaysSkint said:
    Sorry guys, giving up in disgust over a string of issues.. webmin and its' PITA ways, TCP connections being held open, Cloudflare SSL (kinda working) and rewrites not working. Guess, I'm too used to cPanel/CWP.
    Close but no cigar.

Yeah webmin rewrites are weird.
    I have a handful of notes somewhere, that I used to make NAT webmin kvm behave behind a nginx letsenceypt load-balancer.

It took a day to make it work after several forum trawls.

Edit: wait, are you having trouble with virtualmin hosted sites behind cloudflare or webmin panel itself?

• Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep

AlwaysSkint said: Sorry guys, giving up in disgust over a string of issues.. webmin and its' PITA ways, TCP connections being held open, Cloudflare SSL (kinda working) and rewrites not working. Guess, I'm too used to cPanel/CWP.

Close but no cigar.

If it's just for the one site/domain do you need a control panel? I'm sure there's plenty of people who could offer assistance, depenant of course if you wanted to hand out access.

What sort of spec do you think it would require?

• That's pretty much 3 full days on this and as was said at the start, I had actually hoped one of the providers here might have kicked things off. I've covered a lot of the groundwork but don't mind restarting, just not in its' current environment.
    I have four debian/webmin/nextcloud setups but never had the issues seen with this one. They are pretty much server to server services though.

For daily admin, when you have other stuff on your mind, a GUI to check/tweak a server is useful to say the least. Sysadmsh anyone?

As for spec, I'm sure it doesn't need the CPU spec of the great Nexus deal. As for the others, how long is a piece of string? I was starting with 2GB RAM & 50 GB storage.

As previously stated the domain name is available should some else wanna try.

[My few client sites need some lovin' too. ;) ]

Thanked by 3uptime ITLabs Ympker
  • good show @AlwaysSkint - but the beginning is still nigh! :scream:

Anyhoo - just woke up to see this news ...

poured 2 fingers of kahlua in with my coffee - got a little something up my sleeve

(no vanilla though - that beast is too rich for my blood)

still percolating, might be beta testing something somewhere in a few hours though

hopefully other people will be up for playing with a few ideas - and teh vanilla as well?

LET a thousand lowend forums bloom!

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited November 2019

@AlwaysSkint said:
    That's pretty much 3 full days on this and as was said at the start, I had actually hoped one of the providers here might have kicked things off. I've covered a lot of the groundwork but don't mind restarting, just not in its' current environment.
    I have four debian/webmin/nextcloud setups but never had the issues seen with this one. They are pretty much server to server services though.

For daily admin, when you have other stuff on your mind, a GUI to check/tweak a server is useful to say the least. Sysadmsh anyone?

As for spec, I'm sure it doesn't need the CPU spec of the great Nexus deal. As for the others, how long is a piece of string? I was starting with 2GB RAM & 50 GB storage.

As previously stated the domain name is available should some else wanna try.

[My few client sites need some lovin' too. ;) ]

Not sure if you should wait a bit to see how things play out mate. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to undermine the effort you are putting in, but judging from the response received of your updates of installing a forum and how the whole situation looks like right now, I think you are wasting your precious time. Currently there are 2 highly regarded people who have presented their way of creating an alternate forum (Jarland and Anthony). If they can barely draw a couple of people from this thread (and again, don't feel personally attacked Ant/Jar, you are doing a great job!), I doubt anyone else could at this point in time. Shattering the LET community in many different islands (forums) like the carribean isn't what we need (imho) either. Let's give the two established derivates a bit more of a chance. I am sure Jarland and Anth are both welcoming feedback either way. If anyone still wants to go ahead and create yet another forum, go for it. I won't hold you back. Just consider the situation and think twice. Also, given how CC does not give a fuu about LET mods are pretty much on our side so we can still change a lot of how LET runs from within, can't we? I know, this is not what (some) people want to hear, but it is still not beneficial splitting the community in many different parts (imho).

• uptimeuptime Member
    edited November 2019

Ympker said: I know, this is not what (some) people want to hear, but it is still not beneficial splitting the community in many different parts (imho).

In the long run, best if this community is not subjected to cc bs - personally I'm loathe to accept that as a permanent condition.

The reality is that we're looking at a marathon, not a sprint.

Not some mad rush under the grim specter of a boycott. And definitely not looking to spend 40 years wandering through some internet desert ... when the proverbial land of milk and honey is actually where ever enough good people choose to make it.

But more like an ant colony mapping routes to expand its territory ... I think it's a healthy exercise to keep building something new - and LET's see what happens.

:)

• @uptime said:
    The reality is that we're looking a marathon, not a sprint.

Ain't nothing wrong with my Sprint ST ;)
    Did someone say chocolate?

I intended to just get the ball rolling, rather than procrastination.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

I heard you guys like green, I have some green for you: https://talk.lowendspirit.com/

It is what it is, no doubt shit will be broken but it will be fixed.

With that I will be saying farewell (at least commercially) to this place, I have been here since 2011, I don't like what i see any more as the future is obvious, more CC sponsored scams.

Offering an alternative, not forcing anything or trying to get artificially fast growth, it is what it is but if you join now maybe in 5 years you can tell people you have been lurking since 2019!

The barrier was never a technical one, if you dont like what you see these days or want to hedge your bets or just lend some support you are welcome, its basically LET without the bullshit.

I do hope that the commercial element supports the community element and the community element supports the commercial element and one does not abuse the other.

And there we go, another ex LET admin that starts his own forum.

People are always very welcome to reach out to me inbox (AT) inceptionhosting.com

Its been fun, a part of me will miss this place, a part of me will be better for making this decision.

FYI: I have not read the 200 posts since I last logged in and probably never will so if I have been called all the C8888S under the sun already ... great, if not, .. great :)

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

First, I'm proud. I think I'm the only user here for whom there is a resident expert. @angstrom knows everything about me. Do me a favour and don't ask him what kind and color of underwear I use. That'll save me being ashamed.

For those of you who like to occasionally use their brain: "not believing every 'Putin is an evil dictator' BS" != "liking Putin".

@AlwaysSkint

I like you but frankly, I didn't feel too optimistic when I saw your panel based approach. Also I'm lauding your good will but it seems to me that finding a VPS and someone to operate and admin a site for "LET 2" was never the real problem. But thank you anyway. I mean it.

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
  • @jsg I hadn't actually given up, esp. as @dahartigan gave me the Turnkey suggestion. I was already at the tuning stage. If you recall, at the beginning I only offered up the domain name, for someone else to use.
    I don't see this a wasted journey at all: Ant has stepped up and my mission is done. :-D

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • seriesnseriesn Member
    edited November 2019

@AlwaysSkint said:

@uptime said:
    The reality is that we're looking a marathon, not a sprint.

Ain't nothing wrong with my Sprint ST ;)
    Did someone say chocolate?

I intended to just get the ball rolling, rather than procrastination.

My Man,
    Download webuzo, get the premium trial (30 days no commitment), install vanilla, setup and enjoy your life.

Lock down ssh and admin to trusted IP and you should be good to go :). Despite all the negative press about softaculous, webuzo is yet to fail anyone I know.

But word of advise, it will be hard to gain traction. Vpsboard once did and it died, Hostball is still picking up despite almost all the main guys are being a part of it. It will be hard. Not impossible. Remember, LEA started this legacy from nothing :)

• @jsg said:
    @somik

When I was 17 a girl that wasn't a virgin anymore with 17 was considered a slut very easy going.

Today, when a girl with 12 still is a virgin she's considered retarded. So I guess the millenials will procreate, at least when they are not in a phase where they try to find out their gender.

However there is hope. If they procreate like they program and "think" humankind might be saved.

I'm a slut

• @AlwaysSkint I think what is valuable is how you (and many others have stepped up). I personally will check out Ant's alternative and hopefully more people will too. It will only work if everyone puts in effort in their own respective ways.

• cybertechcybertech Member
    edited November 2019

IMHO to make this work requires #teamwork. it takes almost all providers, anchor members, affiliate hunters to commit in duplicating their deals/presence/reviews/quarrels/PMS in the new place for at least 12months in order to gain traction.

That and an efficient forum platform; otherwise it takes too much work to add features or to maintain it.

i think.

• And Ant's version is so much more sleek and mobile friendly. I am in love with it. It is still rough at the edges but hey that's part of the appeal

• @poisson said:
    And Ant's version is so much more sleek and mobile friendly. I am in love with it. It is still rough at the edges but hey that's part of the appeal

I hate it.

• @SirFoxy said:
    I'm a slut

Sir Foxy, please keep it to yourself. We dont want another "i'm a vegan" incident.

@jsg said:
    First, I'm proud. I think I'm the only user here for whom there is a resident expert. @angstrom knows everything about me. Do me a favour and don't ask him what kind and color of underwear I use. That'll save me being ashamed.

Eh... not the first thing that came to my mind, but sure...

For those of you who like to occasionally use their brain: "not believing every 'Putin is an evil dictator' BS" != "liking Putin".

Hey, America "ELECTED" Bush and later

@AlwaysSkint, switching from cPanel to anything is very very difficult. But once you do switch, you wont find the appeal of cPanel anymore. It's like waking up from a drugged dream. People who switched from iPhone to Android (or Android to iPhone) will understand.

• @somik said:
    @AlwaysSkint, switching from cPanel to anything is very very difficult. But once you do switch, you wont find the appeal of cPanel anymore. It's like waking up from a drugged dream. People who switched from iPhone to Android (or Android to iPhone) will understand.

Wise words. However, I have no intention to switch to Apple ever. Never owned anything Apple and I intend to keep it that way.

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
  • @poisson said:

@somik said:

Wise words. However, I have no intention to switch to Apple ever. Never owned anything Apple and I intend to keep it that way.

Although this is from someone who made the comment, lets just say, I like my current Android drug-filled dream :tongue:

• I mean, if people are so used to this theme, I could just send it to them...I made it after all :joy:

• This is going to be interesting.

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • @MrObvious said:
    I mean, if people are so used to this theme, I could just send it to them...I made it after all :joy:

Pass it on to Anthony Smith!

• Amitz

• vimalwarevimalware Member
    edited November 2019

Just a statement : I am now vimalware on https://talk.lowendspirit.com and hostballs too.

• I thought of taking FAT16 on https://talk.lowendspirit.com but I decided to stick to poisson. It's coming along nicely.

• I’ve always wondered if a community that arguably flourished under the spectre of CC ownership will be able to flourish elsewhere without the collective distrust/disgust/hate of an evil overlord....

Thanked by 1hostdare
  • @Nekki said:
    I’ve always wondered if a community that arguably flourished under the spectre of CC ownership will be able to flourish elsewhere without the collective distrust/disgust/hate of an evil overlord....

Why don't you try it to find out? The spectre is still there and will always be there as the raison d'etre of the alternative community.

This discussion has been closed.