Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why are the LEB Feed offers, posted in offers allowed to break the rules? - Page 7
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why are the LEB Feed offers, posted in offers allowed to break the rules?

Comments

• :popcorn:

• pikepike Veteran
    edited November 2019

This CC scam stories always went under my radar, when I read about that I think "okay yeah, shitty for people that want to rent servers in the US" and continue.
    Sad to see it's now about to kill LET. Moving to a different forum is not an option.

Maybe, if one could scrape all posts, accounts etc. and transfer them to the new place, and if a majority of hosts would go there. In that case noone can guarantee someone could try to abuse LET for their business again.

Edit: if Hetzner did create a lowendtalk.de forum I would probably join.
    Edit2: preorder lowend.talk domain now, itll be released 2020. First come, first serve.

• @pike said:
    Edit: if Hetzner did create a lowendtalk.de forum I would probably join.

Is being on their network close enough?

• hzrhzr Member
    edited November 2019

if we're suggesting new subforums i'd like to put in a request for a "thunderdome offers" subforum where anything goes and you don't need a provider tag. (edit: i am not entirely serious about this other than maybe for black friday)

if the community decides your offer is good / your business is stable and legitimate, it gets pinned to the top of offers for a day

if the community thinks you're a spammy summer host all of your posts are transformed into "free seo assistance" and set to robots=index, and there are close to no rules on replies to your threads

• No, it must be run by Hetzner. But this isnt going to happen.

• @jsg said: With my proposition LET providers like e.g. AnthonySmith get a level playing field and can run $10/mo offers.

With your proposition our LET providers are still bound to the $7 limit, CC still runs $10 offers - but have better visibility -or- are "marked", depending on how one looks at it.

I fail to see the advantage or even just evened out competition for our LET providers in your proposition.

Also note that my proposition is within the bounds of our LET admins/mod, while yours touches CC/Deluxe "department" to which they usually react allergically. So it will only be CC winning with your proposal (better visibility) or at least be losing nothing (because they'll override our admins/mods).

As for the "above $7" question -> that limit has already been broken by CC/LEB. So adding a category for our LET providers would not break a barrier but merely add an additional category where they are not at a disadvantage (which they do suffer now as well with your proposition).

@jsg

Really? (I mean: I know that you're argumentative, but really?)

As a general (but important) remark, there's no guarantee that CC will even respect LEB's $10 rule. In fact, @teamacc pointed out earlier today that they have already broken LEB's $10 rule (or another LEB price-limit rule).

So even if LET adopted LEB's $10 rule, there would still be a good reason not to mix LET offers and LEB offers because -- again -- there's no guarantee that CC will respect LEB's $10 rule (and LET mods would have no control over this).

In addition, it's not just the price-limit rule that is at issue: LET requires providers to have a provider tag in order to post offers. There's no such rule on LEB, where offers are handpicked by CC according to mysterious (or not so mysterious) criteria.

If you're unhappy with LET's $7 rule (and you appear to be), then open a thread about raising the limit. (Good luck with that.)

But -- again -- LET's $7 rule wasn't @AnthonySmith's specific complaint, and I was trying to address his specific complaint. In my comment, I was taking LET's $7 rule for granted, precisely because LET has this rule at this time.

Thanked by 1skorous
  • ITLabsITLabs Member
    edited November 2019

@hzr said:
    "thunderdome offers"

That would be really funny :lol:

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited November 2019

@angstrom said:
    @jsg

Really? (I mean: I know that you're argumentative, but really?)

As a general (but important) remark, there's no guarantee that CC will even respect LEB's $10 rule. In fact, @teamacc pointed out earlier today that they have already broken LEB's $10 rule (or another LEB price-limit rule).

So even if LET adopted LEB's $10 rule, there would still be a good reason not to mix LET offers and LEB offers because -- again -- there's no guarantee that CC will respect LEB's $10 rule (and LET mods would have no control over this).

In addition, it's not just the price-limit rule that is at issue: LET requires providers to have a provider tag in order to post offers. There's no such rule on LEB, where offers are handpicked by CC according to mysterious (or not so mysterious) criteria.

If you're unhappy with LET's $7 rule (and you appear to be), then open a thread about raising the limit. (Good luck with that.)

But -- again -- LET's $7 rule wasn't @AnthonySmith's specific complaint, and I was trying to address his specific complaint. In my comment, I was taking LET's $7 rule for granted, precisely because LET has this rule at this time.

It seems you want to misunderstand me or maybe it's you who is argumentative.

• I do not want to change the $7 limit on LET. No matter how often you repeat that BS, I'm not unhappy with the $7 limit.
    • I suggest to create an additional "above $7" category.
      My understanding was that the highest LEB offer so far was $10/mo, so I used that as limit for the new category. But what I'm about is basically a rule that says that the limit in the additional category is whatever the limit is in LEB offers.

• There is no decision to be made about breaking the $7 limit - that decision was already made by CC for their LEB crap and our admins/mods can't do anything against that.

• The LET and LEB offers are not mixed because the LEB offers are clearly marked by both an avatar and (haha!) the fact that they are always closed.
    • Putting LEB offers into a separate category can be both good and bad and we should think well about that or we might end up doing CC a favour (enhanced visibility).
    • AnthonySmith (understandybly and rightfully) did complain multiple times about LEB offers totally ignoring our LET limit.
    • CC has reacted allergically multiple times when our admins/mods tried to reign in on their rules-ignoring offers. Chances are that they will react negatively again if they happen to dislike your proposition being implemented. If they accept it they either don't care or they see it even as advantageous.

At the end of the day I myself don't care. I'm not a provider. My motivation is (a) to stay within the frame of what is actually feasible for our admins/mods, and to (b) to level the playing field for our LET providers as best we can.
    What is certainly not my motivation is to have private fights for example with you. But you seem to fervently dislike any alternative to your proposition.

• :beer:

Thanked by 2uptime default
  • @AlwaysSkint said:
    :beer:

Sorry, we are out of beer. May interest you in some :cookie: instead?

• For anyone still remotely interested: webmin/CSF/LAMP installed..
    This VPS is a whippet compared to what I'm used to.

Thanked by 1poisson
  • @AlwaysSkint said:
    For anyone still remotely interested: webmin/CSF/LAMP installed..
    This VPS is a whippet compared to what I'm used to.

Webmin or virtualmin?

@AlwaysSkint said:
    @somik nom! :)

:innocent:

• @somik Only webmin, which I actually dislike but is free and once setup is workable.

• @AlwaysSkint said:
    @somik Only webmin, which I actually dislike but is free and once setup is workable.

I like webmin virtualmin combo but they are a bit of resource hog so not that usable for low specs server.

On a good server with around 4GB of ram, it is excellent.

I normally go bare for servers on low specs with lighttpd, php 7 and mariadb.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@somik said:
    I normally go bare for servers on low specs with lighttpd, php 7 and mariadb.

And that, going bare without a panel, is the sensible thing to do.

• @jsg said: What is certainly not my motivation is to have private fights for example with you.

I wasn't even interacting with you until you started comparing our "propositions" above! This was where you were argumentative.

But you seem to fervently dislike any alternative to your proposition.

Not at all -- I simply didn't understand why you started arguing with me.

I simply suggested a quick workaround (I even used this word) to address the specific issue that @AnthonySmith raised. @trewq seemed to like my workaround. I was pleased. I then had nothing more to add.

I never claimed that this workaround was the only imaginable solution. But I know (based on experience on LET) that any discussion to raise the LET price limit or to introduce another price category would be long and contentious,[1] not to mention that the addition of another price category would require extra policing by the already overworked mods to enforce whatever rules would govern the distinction between the $7 category and the $10 category. It sounds straightforward in principle, but in practice, the distinction should be properly enforced, for otherwise there would be no point.

[1] And many LET participants wouldn't like to change or add rules to LET because of LEB.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • angstrom said: any discussion to raise the LET price limit or to introduce another price category would be long and contentious

and anyway the offers should all go to 11

on this, there can be no debate.

Thanked by 3angstrom ITLabs vyas11
  • Just woke up and caught up. I am still for the alternative forum based on Vanilla. I have no illusions that it may flop.

However, I believe in a few things:
    1. If you don't try, you will definitely stay where you are.
    2. There is always the probability of failure.
    3. If enough people stand up to do the right thing, we reduce the odds of failing.

Let me know when the alternative is ready. I think we have the ingredients and the means to make it work if we fashion the alternative forum similar to LET without the CC + LEB crap.

Thanked by 1alento
  • vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited November 2019

@uptime said:

angstrom said: any discussion to raise the LET price limit or to introduce another price category would be long and contentious

and anyway the offers should all go to 11

on this, there can be no debate.

eleven is the new seven

By extension the $7 limit should be raised to $11.

• uptimeuptime Member
    edited November 2019

Come on boys and gamble

Roll those laughing bones

Seven come eleven boys

I'll take your money home

Come on boys and wager

if you have got the mind

If you got a dollar boys

lay it on the line

cite

Thanked by 1ITLabs
  • Amitz

Thanked by 1uptime
  • Every rule maker, are bound to break the rules.

• I suggest making the LEB Offers category invisible to normal users. The LEBFEED bot will still post its crap there, but no one will see it.

Since CC doesnt ever check LET, they wont notice for at least half a year.

• I suggest we buy LET from Deluxe/CC for 7$ and run it on a Debian VM k thx.

• They said changes are coming so this is a start :) https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/158342/changes-are-coming/p1

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
  • @msallak1 said:
    They said changes are coming so this is a start :) https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/158342/changes-are-coming/p1

We say that we move to other board, and this is a start too.

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
  • Installing Vanilla..

Thanked by 3poisson uptime seriesn
  • @AlwaysSkint said:
    Installing Vanilla..

Having trouble? I see it's still not installed.

This discussion has been closed.