Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why are the LEB Feed offers, posted in offers allowed to break the rules? - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why are the LEB Feed offers, posted in offers allowed to break the rules?

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited November 2019

I never found a way to please everyone with a forum so I found it was best to have on a vision and go after it, but I don't call HB a replacement for LET. If it does that for you great, but there's a soul here that @PHDan mentioned that I wanted an escape from. I've had some of my best and worst times here. From getting to work with amazing people to CurtisG swatting.

• One last fucking mental Black Friday, then mass forum walkout.

Someone mod me, I'll sort it.

Thanked by 2Wolveix brueggus
  • @Nekki said:
    One last fucking mental Black Friday, then mass forum walkout.

Someone mod me, I'll sort it.

Oh boy... @ Nekki just offered himself to host Black Friday on LET. How do we beat this offer? What are we going to do? How will this migration be completed with a bang?

Thanked by 2vimalware Ympker
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

jar said: there's a soul here that @PHDan mentioned that I wanted an escape from

Thanked by 3jar ITLabs Falzo
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Nekki said: Someone mod me, I'll sort it.

Done.

Thanked by 3vimalware Falzo FrankZ
  • @raindog308 - You are still a volunteer moderator...

• ChrisMillerChrisMiller Member
    edited November 2019

Is that how easy it is? If so! All I want for Christmas is to be a LET mod

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited November 2019

@ChrisMiller said:

Is that how easy it is? If so! All I want for Christmas is to be a LET mod

• @AnthonySmith Looks like your thread got a bit 'ripe', in typical LET fashion.

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

Let's all think of a name for the new LET :smiley:

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited November 2019

OK, I'm not a provider and maybe that's the reason I don't get it.

• Note that this thread hasn't been closed/censored.
    • AnthonySmith has not been deleted (as a user) and not even been punished.

So, CC/Deluxe are obviously not playing hardball and they don't want a fight.

Why are so many so exited? What is the real damage done to this community? Let won't die, in fact, it even won't suffer because of the LEB-sh_t. I even doubt that "our" providers suffer; how would some corp. making way too expensive offers make "our" providers suffer? Are there really people who look for a $4/mo VPS who see a $10/mo LEB offer and decide to go for the expensive deal? I doubt that. And frankly, if some fall for the LEB offers they bloody deserve it.

As for "let's leave in droves to an alternative forum!": Forget it. It won't work. Yes, there are many declaring to be ready, some of them even willing to carry some load - but: that's just phase 1. In phase 2, when it gets real, they'll at best be in both forums and many will stay mainly here and just occasionally peek into the other forum. Why? Two main reasons: (a) that's how people are, and (b) the suffering here at LET is much much lower than some make it look like.
    It's easy to get people excited about some idea, but it's not that easy to actually make it happen.

What's the suffering anyway? That some big player who basically owns the place plays foul? Welcome to reality, you'll see the same in your town, in the company you work at, everywhere.
    That they willy nilly open and close their LEB offer threads? So what? There are many threads I don't look into anyway.

That they break the rules? Nope, they don't. They break our rules - but we aren't the owners. It's them who can make and break the rules, simple as that. And frankly, so far I can live well with their rule-breaking/ignoring.

Will they go really hard on us? NO. because they need LET and us. It's valuable for them. That's why they for example tolerate this thread here. All they want is to push their LEB sh_t.
    Looking a bit closer I see what I consider an important point -> They go for the stupid, the clueless. Because, you see, nobody in his right mind who has been here for a while even looks at LEB offers. So, whom do they reach? The stupid and the clueless - not us.

TL;DR - I think AnthonySmith paints the problem way bigger than it really is. In fact he might do more and more serious harm to LET than CC/Deluxe! Because if some mods and good people leave then that would be real harm to our community.

I don't think it serves us well to paint a nuisance as a grave major crisis. It is not. It is a nuisance.

That said, if some good people here really build a new forum and that forum doesn't drift more dead than alive in the sea I'll have a look at it and maybe join. Right now, though, I see neither a serious crisis nor an attractive replacement for LET - so I'll stay here where I'm quite happy (minus some LEB and some other nuisances).

Thanked by 2AlwaysSkint Chronic
  • LETLite, LETv6, Low End Around the World (sorry China and India), SisterWives, LETGNU or LETBSD, Just Buy A Hetzner...

• @jsg said:

No. The reason is that they don't care about this place to the extend that they don't care about this thread, as long as people keep buying their offers and money flows in. Simple as that. No need for books or essays. Thanks.

@solaire said:

@jsg said:

No. The reason is that they don't care about this place to the extend that they don't care about this thread, as long as people keep buying their offers and money flows in. Simple as that. No need for books or essays. Thanks.

Whatever the reason is, it boils down to CC/Deluxe not disturbing our 97% of the forum/community. Plus: LET has a value for them - and for us.

• @jsg said:
    Whatever the reason is, it boils down to CC/Deluxe not disturbing our 97% of the forum/community.

That's the whole issue to begin with, they don't do anything to the community because they just don't care. They don't care if people get scammed or if people open threads like this. As long as their value is secured.

• NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited November 2019

I'll be running an execution booth thread on Tuesday following Cyber Monday - just post and I'll ban your account forever.

@solaire said:
    That's the whole issue to begin with, they don't do anything to the community because they just don't care. They don't care if people get scammed or if people open threads like this. As long as their value is secured.

So? We can evidently live well with that. And btw. that kind of a constellation isn't found only here. The world isn't perfect.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@solaire said:

@jsg said:
    Whatever the reason is, it boils down to CC/Deluxe not disturbing our 97% of the forum/community.

They openly support and defend scammers.

Lets not forget how hard Chris tried to defend HiFormance and the gongshow that was Nuggets.

Francisco

• jsg said: The world isn't perfect.

But you do seem to think you are.

• solairesolaire Member
    edited November 2019

@jsg said:

@solaire said:

So? We can evidently live well with that.

I'd say this thread serves as a proof that this is not the case.

@Francisco said:
    They openly support and defend scammers.

Lets not forget how hard Chris tried to defend HiFormance and the gongshow that was Nuggets.

Francisco

Right, that's a perfect example of "securing their value".

• @jsg said:
    Plus: LET has a value for them - and for us.

The LET value for CC is monetary, the LET value for us is more than that (sentiments, time, sisters). If you can measure LET with money... so be it, but keep this for yourself, because I like to remember LET as it was before, not as it is now (unlike you, to me is more than just money).

• @PHDan said:
    LETLite, LETv6, Low End Around the World (sorry China and India), SisterWives, LETGNU or LETBSD, Just Buy A Hetzner...

These are available:
    lowend7.com
    lowendplace.com
    lowendgroup.com

• Next project - the LET Hall of Fame!

@Francisco

Yes that's ugly, really ugly - but will we stop them by creating another community?

@PHDan

... says the guy who thinks he is in a position to judge others ... while actually he just does an ad hominem.

@solaire

I don't see it that way. I see this thread proving mainly two things: (a) group psychology and (b) discontent and even anger (which I can understand) about CC/Deluxe behaviour here.

@default

Misunderstanding. I don't think that the value we see in LET is monetary only (if at all). My statement wasn't differentiating the meaning of value, it merely stated that LET is valuable to CC/Deluxe and they need us (to keep it valuable).
    As to how LET once was I can't speak; I don't know about that but I trust that your description is correct. But still, LET obviously still has value for us because we are here, we contribute, and we even fight for LET.

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited November 2019

@jsg said:
    But still, LET obviously still has value for us because we are here, we contribute, and we even fight for LET.

Exactly. If we are the ones contributing... why fight? Why keep on screaming for something that is out of our rules of play? Why not take our toys and simply leave this private playground to play nicely elsewhere, without bullying from landlord's children?

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
    edited November 2019

@default said:

@jsg said:
    But still, LET obviously still has value for us because we are here, we contribute, and we even fight for LET.

Exactly. If we are the ones contributing... why fight? Why keep on screaming for something that is out of our rules of play? Why not take our toys and simply leave this private playground to play nicely elsewhere, without bullying from owners?

Because it's not that easy and because experience shows that the new community almost always fails because too few users really switch.

Btw. one reason for that is often the suffering on the "bad" site (in this case LET) not being high enough to drive people away. So I think it's more promising to make LET better than to leave it and replace it.

Edit: I think we should differentiate. CC/Deluxe isn't really breaking our rules of play. It's more like them running a second show on this platform. They do not involve in or disturb ours. They just run a side show that doesn't care about our rules. So, obviously one good approach is to simply ignore their side show and care only about ours (which we/our mods control).

• LETS BURN THIS CUNT TO THE GROUND

Thanked by 1Lm85H4gFkh3wk3
  • you people just don't get it: @Amitz left !!!

• @jsg said:
    So I think it's more promising to make LET better than to leave it and replace it.

So... How exactly do you want to make LET better?

For the sake of discussion (this is what boards are for) let's assume you are admin, and CC wishes to put 3 advertising flashy banners (top, left, and right) which will remain on screen when scrolling. How will you fight this and what makes you think they will listen?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited November 2019

jsg said: Because it's not that easy and because experience shows that the new community almost always fails because too few users really switch.

To be clear I'm not asking users to switch, but aren't you focusing a bit hard on failure and making it out to be the only viable path? How many social networks failed before Facebook demolished MySpace? It doesn't matter how many fail at something, it only matters how many succeed. Nothing lasts forever, you are not in the final version of the internet or the final place where people socialize.

To think of the existing structures as permanent homes that will not be swept away and ultimately replaced is to ignore the entirety of human history. Nothing stays the same forever. Just because many have to fail before one succeeds, that is no reason to not try.

Just as AOL, even Google will one day fall from it's pedestal. You don't know when that will be any more than you know when it won't be, and you're only needlessly flapping your jaw if you claim that you do.

Thanked by 2uptime beagle
This discussion has been closed.