Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Directadmin Feedback Thread! Feedback wanted to help improve the product! - Page 45
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Directadmin Feedback Thread! Feedback wanted to help improve the product!

Comments

• LeonDynamicLeonDynamic Member
    edited April 2021

@smtalk said:

What would you think about "News & Activity"? And if you don't really like that block (do you?) - ability to replace it with some other widget?

+1 to either being able to customise it or remove it completely. Having the ability to add or remove blocks would be good i.e. have 4 or 6 widget blocks

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
  • JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep

+1 to customize the blocks.

Also showing the last 3 times the 'user' logged in with the IP and time would be good

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
  • AlwaysSkintAlwaysSkint Member
    edited April 2021

@smtalk said: do you?

I think it unnecessary but understand others may like it. ;)

@smtalk said: "News & Activity"

Huge improvement over "What's New(?)". :)
    IMHumbleO, a system activity "page" is much more useful, for examples, a formatted output of web pages served (Apachectl fullstatus) and/or ps -eaf | grep -v root | grep -v nobody.

• coolicecoolice Member
    edited April 2021

I like the new Icons for the Icon Grid (Modern) and New Grey icons

Hope they will work on Traditional theme too

Thanked by 1desfire
  • @cimaserver said:

Hello, I made a proposal on how our hosting clients should see the control panel, so that it is faster and easier to get the applications to modify. your comments are important :)

for end users this kind of appearance is more attractive

Thanked by 2JamesF desfire

@kang28ivan

I agree, the view you show is much easier to navigate and makes more sense than a restricted pop out.

• smtalksmtalk Member
    edited April 2021

@JamesF said:
    @kang28ivan

I agree, the view you show is much easier to navigate and makes more sense than a restricted pop out.

But it is dashboard only. How would users navigate the skin when they’re in some inner page?

@smtalk said:

@JamesF said:
    @kang28ivan

But it is dashboard only. How would users navigate the skin when they’re in some inner page?

Wouldn't it change as you go into each item.??

Maybe at the top do word short cuts showing where you are to easily click back?

e.g. Home > Control Panel > File Manager

You can then easily navigate where you need to go?

• Yes, but to go from 1 page to another it'd require you to click "home" and select another page then (2 clicks/page changes) instead of 1.

• @smtalk said:
    Yes, but to go from 1 page to another it'd require you to click "home" and select another page then (2 clicks/page changes) instead of 1.

Isn't that how it is now with traditional skins too when we have to return to the home page to access other menus?

@smtalk said:
    Yes, but to go from 1 page to another it'd require you to click "home" and select another page then (2 clicks/page changes) instead of 1.

Possibly embed the options into the dashboard?

• smtalksmtalk Member
    edited April 2021

@kang28ivan said:

@smtalk said:

Isn't that how it is now with traditional skins too when we have to return to the home page to access other menus?

It has a small menu in top-right, but it isn't as convenient as this one. If menu is moved to dashboard, you'd always need to go back to dashboard to go to some other page. Isn't it faster/easier to go to any page you want from any page you're in?

• @smtalk said:

@kang28ivan said:

@smtalk said:

It has a small menu in top-right, but it isn't as convenient as this one. If menu is moved to dashboard, you'd always need to go back to dashboard to go to some other page. Isn't it faster/easier to go to any page you want from any page you're in?

It's true that it will be faster, but sometimes users are confused by new things, maybe it just needs adaptation but it would be nice that the Icon Grid option is also available

• ExonHostExonHost Member, Host Rep

@smtalk said:

@JamesF said:
    @kang28ivan

I do not think end user will like dashboard. They just want host there site and want to see easily what they use mostly in the panel.

Thanked by 2JamesF desfire
  • desfiredesfire Member
    edited April 2021

@cimaserver said:

Hello, I made a proposal on how our hosting clients should see the control panel, so that it is faster and easier to get the applications to modify. your comments are important :)

wow +1

@ExonHost said:

@smtalk said:

@JamesF said:
    @kang28ivan

I do not think end user will like dashboard. They just want host there site and want to see easily what they use mostly in the panel.

Agree, the more straightforward for end-user and user-friendly the best for everyone, the design is amazing but kind of confusing. I would stick with old one although this looks more modern.

Thanked by 1coolice
  • edited April 2021

@Francisco said:
    As we're all trying to recover from the cPanel sticker shock, DirectAdmin has been making improvements to their panel to help ease the transition for people.
    Francisco

Only out of curiosity, are you part of or closely connected to the Direct Admin team?

I love the integrity & helpfulness of @DA_Mark but don't know who the other (2?) owners are.

Fun fact, Mark likes Lowendtalk better and chooses to help people here in exclusion to other famous forums that might start with a "WH..."

• @Offshore_Solutions said:

I love the integrity & helpfulness of @DA_Mark but don't know who the other (2?) owners are.

Myself, @smtalk, and John. John isn't a forum guy but anyone needing advanced support has probably dealt with him.

Fun fact, Mark likes Lowendtalk better and chooses to help people here in exclusion to other famous forums that might start with a "WH..."

Definitely more at home here. Things are more interesting with antics & drama. :trollface:

Also, people here don't hold back on their opinions so it seems like a great place to be for that reason too.

• coolicecoolice Member
    edited April 2021

@cimaserver said:

+1 for that look than the hover menu

• ViridWebViridWeb Member, Host Rep

@DA_Mark why are you busy with useless things like a new theme instead of real development?

We are still waiting for a migration tool. Any ETA for that?

And yes we know the command line migration available. But for us a proper migration tool will reduce few steps and save our time

@smtalk @DA_Mark

Would really love an updated logon screen :)

• bulabula Member

@ViridWeb said:
    @DA_Mark why are you busy with useless things like a new theme instead of real development?

We are still waiting for a migration tool. Any ETA for that?

And yes we know the command line migration available. But for us a proper migration tool will reduce few steps and save our time

I echo what @ViridWeb says. Command line migration works but its a bit tedious, prefer a gui migration within panel for quicker transfers.

• @JamesF said:
    @smtalk @DA_Mark

You can customise this already to anything you want

• @JamesF said:
    @smtalk @DA_Mark

This is what we have in mind but like @LeonDynamic mentioned, you can certainly customize your own.

@ViridWeb : One thing doesn't necessarily take away from the other. A front-end (skin) developer can't do things like code a migration system. Coding is a bit tougher, not just finding people with skill but people you get along with. We have a new full-time coder coming onboard soon so that is really going to help things.

Regarding migrations -- I am assuming you guys mean something slick like being able to remotely pull an account from another server (cPanel or DA) through the GUI and call it a day.

For the current method, can you guys share any stumbling points that we may not be aware of? At the moment, you can simply do a cPanel backup on the other server and then quit. Then, enter the FTP details on the DA server, and DA will pull the cpmove backup and restore it. Maybe not "slick" but it should still do the job. If there is some failure points, I know @smtalk would like to hear more.

• @DA_Mark As mentioned previously; any chance of Horde integration?

• @AlwaysSkint said:
    @DA_Mark As mentioned previously; any chance of Horde integration?

I guess anything is possible (please post it to feedback.directadmin.com if you haven't already). I don't recall too many people asking for it.. A while back someone was really pushing for RainLoop but IIRC it's not free for commercial use.

• @DA_Mark said:

@JamesF said:
    @smtalk @DA_Mark

This is what we have in mind but like @LeonDynamic mentioned, you can certainly customize your own.

@ViridWeb : One thing doesn't necessarily take away from the other. A front-end (skin) developer can't do things like code a migration system. Coding is a bit tougher, not just finding people with skill but people you get along with. We have a new full-time coder coming onboard soon so that is really going to help things.

Regarding migrations -- I am assuming you guys mean something slick like being able to remotely pull an account from another server (cPanel or DA) through the GUI and call it a day.

For the current method, can you guys share any stumbling points that we may not be aware of? At the moment, you can simply do a cPanel backup on the other server and then quit. Then, enter the FTP details on the DA server, and DA will pull the cpmove backup and restore it. Maybe not "slick" but it should still do the job. If there is some failure points, I know @smtalk would like to hear more.

This login is perfect :)

• @cimaserver said:

+1
    Simplicity is more important than beauty

• @DA_Mark said:

@JamesF said:
    @smtalk @DA_Mark

This new login is really good.

Regarding cpanel backup to DirectAdmin, IMHO it takes too much, first you have to upload the cPanel backup, then it converts it to DirectAdmin and then it restore it. Just with one site it takes the space of three sites, if at least the current script would delete the cPanel backup or the DA backup (or both).

Also, it would be great a rsync transfer from cPanel like cPanel Transfer Tool, so it rsync the home directory and then restores the databases. Interworx has that for example.

• smtalksmtalk Member
    edited May 2021

@cimaserver said:

Thank you for the idea, pre-release lets you pin the icons menu to the dashboard now.

Thanked by 2coolice LeonDynamic
    edited May 2021

@smtalk

Much Better! Thank You!

Will you be fixing the resolution as well? the icons are soooo big along with the welcome screen.

Also when I try to switch back to icons I loose the 'traditional Theme' option.