Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Directadmin Feedback Thread! Feedback wanted to help improve the product! - Page 48
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Directadmin Feedback Thread! Feedback wanted to help improve the product!

Comments

• @JasonM said:
    there is a script for this. But it works at account-level.
    It should be made available at DA reseller-level too, so resellers can migrate accounts for their clients on their own!

Is the script built into DA, or a separate script I would need to download to do this ?

Thanks

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited October 2021

@happyman said:

@JasonM said:
    there is a script for this. But it works at account-level.
    It should be made available at DA reseller-level too, so resellers can migrate accounts for their clients on their own!

Is the script built into DA, or a separate script I would need to download to do this ?

Thanks

Directadmin includes it by default these days since it's officially supported by them.

You can just do like:

cd /root/
    /usr/local/directadmin/scripts/cpanel_to_da/cpanel_to_da.sh cpmove-deeznutz.tar.gz

Wait a little bit and it'll generate a Directadmin archive in

/root/directadmin

It's very good. I think the only thing that might need fixing is wildcard auto responders?

Francisco

Thanked by 1pouyam
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@Francisco said: @jbiloh @raindog308 cool on the announcement marking, pin? This is by far the biggest 'Directadmin feedback' forum post around, cash in on it.

There will be a LEB post about this thread on October 4th, and I'll link to it when I do a cPanel pricing LEBTV video later this month.

Thanked by 2Francisco MannDude
  • jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@raindog308 said:

@Francisco said: @jbiloh @raindog308 cool on the announcement marking, pin? This is by far the biggest 'Directadmin feedback' forum post around, cash in on it.

There will be a LEB post about this thread on October 4th, and I'll link to it when I do a cPanel pricing LEBTV video later this month.

Very nice!

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • MechanicWebMechanicWeb Member, Patron Provider

@raindog308 @jbiloh

Thank you for making this thread sticky!

One more reason to come back to LET!

edited October 2021

Regarding the pro pack, I think DirectAdmin is losing a great chunk of revenue (and making providers deprive of) by not including it in the internal licenses.

Perhaps DA could find a way to include them with the internal licenses as a paid addon, but at a lower price point than the retail prices?

At $29 per month, DA's price seems standard. I am sure more providers would be interested to promote and include DA if they have the pro pack in the internal licenses at a lower price point.

I know that cPanel is far pricier compared to DA. But you shouldn't compare them with DA for everything. They have an advantage of over two decades of userbase. DA also needs to consider new challenges from else where.

I am noticing a rise in the proprietary control panels. More and more providers and users are moving toward proprietary control panels. Many users only need to host standard scripts - WordPress, Magento and alike, which means if you have an inhouse solution that can migrate and manage these scripts, you are probably fine.

• LeeLee Veteran

@MechanicWeb said: Regarding the pro pack, I think DirectAdmin is losing a great chunk of revenue (and making providers deprive of) by not including it in the internal licenses.

I suspect they would be losing a greater chunk of revenue by including it. The whole point of the Pro Pack (I suspect) is to encourage the purchase of full-price licences and offer extra value for them.

The internal licences simply by virtue of the fact most provide them for free is all the value that should be required there. If you have a free internal licence and now want/need the value offered by the pro pack, it's time to buy your own licence.

edited October 2021

@Lee said: The whole point of the Pro Pack (I suspect) is to encourage the purchase of full-price licences and offer extra value for them.

If they are selling more retail licenses than the internal ones, they must have been doing great, as you noted. If they are not, perhaps there is a chance for a steady stream.

There is a psychological incentive for the providers in the internal licenses that retails ones do not have.

Why would a provider or end user get the retail license with pro pack and not the internal license + CloudLinux?

And why would a provider promote the retail license over internal license + CloudLinux?

Providers always get more licenses, not the end users. The more license sells, in other words, the more people use DA, the more furnished and popular it will become - a benefit for providers, DA devs, and end users.

Like I mentioned, the challenge is not only there are other control panels, but also the slow but steady growth of non standard control panels.

The internal licences simply by virtue of the fact most provide them for free is all the value that should be required there. If you have a free internal licence and now want/need the value offered by the pro pack, it's time to buy your own licence.

A provider encouraging their clients to buy their own licenses and not to get from the provider? It would be interesting seeing how that plays out for regular clients.

• LeeLee Veteran

To me at least it appears to be a sensible, sustainable and forward-thinking business strategy. Everyone has a view on it. Time will tell.

• verovero Member, Host Rep

@MechanicWeb said:
    I am noticing a rise in the proprietary control panels. More and more providers and users are moving toward proprietary control panels. Many users only need to host standard scripts - WordPress, Magento and alike, which means if you have an inhouse solution that can migrate and manage these scripts, you are probably fine.

Hopefully that trend continues.

@MechanicWeb said:
    A provider encouraging their clients to buy their own licenses and not to get from the provider? It would be interesting seeing how that plays out for regular clients.

"Taste the steel, peasant!" ;) 2nd season is getting only more interesting..

• Hey, this thread is sticky! How cool. :sunglasses: I don't expect it to be permanent (there are other control panels here, after all), but it certainly is nice to get the added encouragement.

@MechanicWeb

We haven't made a firm call on Pro Pack internal pricing as yet. Honestly, it's more of an experiment to see if there is any demand for a more sophisticated DA (vs. cheap and good 'nuff).

I've been speaking with LOTS of large providers over the last few days, and despite many points of constructive criticism, price has not been one of them. Even our retail pricing is a massive price drop compared to their current licensing. If anything, their concern is with our ability to compete against a much more expensive product, with only a fraction of their resources.

So, regarding internal pricing, how much deeper internal pricing discounts would you like to see? Obviously this becomes a matter of value. Everyone values things differently.

On one hand, we have people wanting us to provide a better product with better support, and they are willing to pay a fair price. On the other hand, there are those demanding two-decade old pricing, 80%+ discounts, throw in the Pro Pack too, and scream bloody murder when we ask them to order more than 1 or 2 licenses before we recognize them as a quantity buyer. Everyone else is somewhere in between.

@Lee said:
    To me at least it appears to be a sensible, sustainable and forward-thinking business strategy. Everyone has a view on it. Time will tell.

Thanks very much. That's exactly the impression we want to leave -- that any changes made are for purposes of sustainability, not as a random money grab. Some people point out that our changes coincide with the cPanel price hikes, and of course they did. There was so much new pressure on us that some unsustainable/barely-sustainable things had to go.

Going forward, it needs to be win-win. And @Lee you got it right -- time will tell.

Thanked by 2Lee WSWD
  • One more thing.. regarding technical/feature questions & suggestions -- more information is better. We have some really great people but they are techs and don't handle ambiguity well.

So if you say something doesn't work as good compared to "X", feel free to give an example. For example @Fritz , you mentioned our throttling not working as well compared to Plesk. From what I understand, ours should be even more capable than theirs, so can you provide more info? That's what we need to made changes. :sunglasses:

• JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2021

Honestly I don’t see an issue with the retail price for pro. It’s cheap!!! It’s much cheaper then CPanel and if people are still moaning they obviously don’t value what goes into it.

• @JamesF said: It’s much cheaper then CP..

You what?

• wdmgwdmg Member, LIR

Well, I'm not a fan of the new UI on DirectAdmin. It's bloatly, a bit over the top... what happened to the simpler UI days...

Even cPanel got the simplicity aspect right:

Thanked by 1hyperblast
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@wdmg said:
    Well, I'm not a fan of the new UI on DirectAdmin. It's bloatly, a bit over the top... what happened to the simpler UI days...

honestly I think this is a pretty nice theme.

Very simple and to the point. No visual overload.

Francisco

Thanked by 1wdmg
  • LeeLee Veteran

@wdmg said: Well, I'm not a fan of the new UI on DirectAdmin.

Agree, at first I thought, well it looks ok, now I am like, kill it with fire...

Thanked by 1wdmg
  • @wdmg said:

When the first time i see this new cpanel theme, wow, so many words,my eyes hurt, where are the icons,did my browser failed to load the icons....kind of expression....

Well, icons help me to reduce time to read one by one than to pin point an image...

• @wdmg said:

I prefer the one with icons, easier for me to find the one I need.

Thanked by 1Ympker
    edited October 2021

@DA_Mark said: So, regarding internal pricing, how much deeper internal pricing discounts would you like to see? Obviously this becomes a matter of value. Everyone values things differently.

Thank you for making the time to come here.

To clarify to you and @Lee , I am not asking for dirt cheap rates. Perhaps the opposite.

Good things always have good costs. As long as there is a difference between the retail price and the internal ones, that's fine.

Like you said, a lot of large providers are engaging with you. I hope something good comes out of it. All I am saying is the internal licenses need more focus, in terms of the Pro Pack.

Instead of including the Pro Pack for free with internal licenses, perhaps make it a value added addon. This will have a few benefits:

Sites with really/any kind of large traffic do not need the pro pack, but they still need the ability to host a bunch of smaller sites on the same server. The current internal license without the Pro pack fits nicely here.

Many of these sites now use non standard control panel, not cPanel. This is a market nobody has targeted. cPanel tried with Solo license, but their conditions were not acceptable to the bulk of the providers, so it basically failed. A similar attempt would likely fail, too.

1. If you offer it as an addon, you won't need to create another edition of internal license for the sites mentioned above.

End users (excluding the ones that manage their own servers) do not like buying their licenses directly. It is a negative for DirectAdmin by not including the Pro Pack with internal licenses.

I think it would be alright for DA and for providers as long as the total cost of an internal license + Pro Pack remains below the price of the retail license.

I understand there might be additional challenges, since you have another tier for VPS licenses. The only solution that I could imagine, should be acceptable to the bulk, perhaps you would get a few grunts, but it would be the logical step.

DirectAdmin needs a better UI. Comparing with cPanel's latest wouldn't help. The latest from DA was a lot of work, but it left much to be desired. The overwhelming majority of mobile phone and computer users, windows and mac alike, are familiar to a flat panel. They would feel comfortable if they get a flat, icon based UI.

Perhaps instead of building a new UI, DA could put more focus on the Traditional sub theme.

@Francisco said: honestly I think this is a pretty nice theme.

Very simple and to the point. No visual overload.

Thank you for the laugh.

That reminds me that theme indeed is fantastically futuristic ;) Todays folks seem to have failed to notice the potential!

@vero said: "Taste the steel, peasant!" 2nd season is getting only more interesting..

cPanel's this price hike wouldn't really impact us significantly by any margin. We were preparing for this since they increased their prices the first time. We are slowly but steadily moving away from monopoly grasps, be it cPanel or any other software.

• Hello,

is it possible with pro pack to create limits for the whole reseller account?
    Example: Limit reseller to 3GB ram, 1CPU, 30 Entry processes etc..
    And he can share these resources between his sub-accounts.

• I was thinking to switch to DA but their price are high $29 for unlimited license, so i went with plesk.

The reason of switching are price wise but if the price i was paying are similar to what i have to pay with DA no reason to switch

When i need 15 account i have to pay
    Cpanel : $32
    DA: $29
    Plesk: 16

So i would not even think about DA, no big difference between what i am currently paying and their price.

• ShazanShazan Member, Host Rep

I agree that the Pro Pack should be available to providers as a paid option to add to the the internal licenses.

• AlwaysSkintAlwaysSkint Member
    edited October 2021

@DA_Mark
    I'd have to agree with @mad_4u, in that up to 15 accounts is the "sweet spot". It's too big a jump from 10 accounts to unlimited, both in package and price, IMhumbleO.
    15 Accounts/60 Domains or more, would be a better size and more in keeping with alternatives.

@mad_4u said: I was thinking to switch to DA but their price are high $29 for unlimited license, so i went with plesk.

I almost forgot that there is Plesk, too! Thank you for reminding me. Plesk and cPanel both are owned by the same company, which explains why I (almost!) forgot them.

Why didn't you get an internal DA license from your provider? It's only $5 for VPS and $10-14 for bare metal. Many provide them for free. Both include unlimited domains.

• wdmgwdmg Member, LIR

@MechanicWeb said: I almost forgot that there is Plesk, too! Thank you for reminding me. Plesk and cPanel both are owned by the same company, which explains why I (almost!) forgot them.

They both keep getting price updates... but I'm yet to see extra value with the price increase. If you bring a lot of extra value to a product then want to bump it's price then sure... but no extra value -- gross.

• @MechanicWeb said:

@mad_4u said: I was thinking to switch to DA but their price are high $29 for unlimited license, so i went with plesk.

I almost forgot that there is Plesk, too! Thank you for reminding me. Plesk and cPanel both are owned by the same company, which explains why I (almost!) forgot them.

Why didn't you get an internal DA license from your provider? It's only $5 for VPS and $10-14 for bare metal. Many provide them for free. Both include unlimited domains.

i am using Hetzner, no option for DA.
    so forced to buy the license externaly or use what they provide.

also when i have bare metal for 1 domain and paying Cpanel for it 48$ is high but i gess Plesk are good altrative with the same provider.

also they simplefied the transfer from CP to Plesk but you have to change the way you store emails before you start the transfer.

• verovero Member, Host Rep

@MechanicWeb said:
    Why didn't you get an internal DA license from your provider?

Why become tied to server provider just because he offers cheap DA? As far as I'm aware, there are none amongst the major worldwide known companies.