Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Directadmin Feedback Thread! Feedback wanted to help improve the product! - Page 46
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Directadmin Feedback Thread! Feedback wanted to help improve the product!

Comments

• smtalksmtalk Member

@JamesF said:
    @smtalk

Much Better! Thank You!

Will you be fixing the resolution as well? the icons are soooo big along with the welcome screen.

It depends on the resolution. MacBook Pro 13.3"? If yes - we were already planning to review it there.

• JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep

Yea, MacBook pro running Win10 in Parallels

Switching back to icon theme looses 'traditional Theme' Option

• smtalksmtalk Member

@desfire said: Where is the "select-all functionality"?

Pre-release has a checkbox for this now, in addition to ctrl+a.

• IME, one of the more useful WHM features is to view current Apache activity; its' primary use being to see how busy the server is, prior to a needed reboot or service restart.
    Yep, a command line Apache status can help, but I reckon it's still a useful thing to have, that may be beneficial in DA too. (I manually add it to all CWP servers that I have.)

• MechanicWebMechanicWeb Member, Patron Provider
    edited May 2021

@DA_Mark The new DirectAdmin is certainly promising. It will help us eliminate some of the addons we are used to using, at least we will have more options to choose from.

But I would like to draw your attention to some issues might be critical for shared hosting end users.

UserDir still has issues with OpenLiteSpeed. I no longer use OLS for our servers, but on a user VPS with OLS, UserDir isn't working at all.

Maybe it's just me, but I do think the traditional theme looks much better than the new one.

The icons are too small. Perhaps making them bigger would be more convenient, too?

Regarding the File manager - it seems there are a few issues with it.

Copy, paste, move doesn't work on chrome. I haven't tried another browser.

The Select All button doesn't select files when you have hundreds of files. You have to manually scroll to the bottom of the page to get them pulled up to the list then do select all from the top menu.

The ajax pulling of files - 50 at a time creates a misconception for the onlooker, who are not familiar with DA, that they have only a few files. I would suggest to list all files without the ajax call.

The file manager hangs when you have many files, hundreds of thousands, and millions. Yes, I put around 18mil files to test :D

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@MechanicWeb said: UserDir still has issues with OpenLiteSpeed. I no longer use OLS for our servers, but on a user VPS with OLS, UserDir isn't working at all.

Are you sure this is DA's fault or OLS? OLS is very crippled.

Francisco

@Francisco said: Are you sure this is DA's fault or OLS? OLS is very crippled.

I am not sure if it's OLS's fault. It does seem to have a module for UserDir, and on their forum, I didn't find any thread reporting any issue with UserDir.

• Would love to see a rich editor for files. I like the improvements to the file editor but would still love to see the ability to roll back changes or undo. When you start a tag it puts a closing tag. For example if you start a file "<?" it would line break and place a "?>"

Not a huge fan of items under reseller when logged in as admin. Would like for packages for example to be on the main menu.

Would love to see an overhaul of the backup system.

I am very happy with many of the recent changes and I believe in a year or two we will have a very competitive platform.

• desfiredesfire Member

@MechanicWeb said:
    @DA_Mark The new DirectAdmin is certainly promising. It will help us eliminate some of the addons we are used to using, at least we will have more options to choose from.

But I would like to draw your attention to some issues might be critical for shared hosting end users.

UserDir still has issues with OpenLiteSpeed. I no longer use OLS for our servers, but on a user VPS with OLS, UserDir isn't working at all.

Maybe it's just me, but I do think the traditional theme looks much better than the new one.

The icons are too small. Perhaps making them bigger would be more convenient, too?

Regarding the File manager - it seems there are a few issues with it.

Copy, paste, move doesn't work on chrome. I haven't tried another browser.

The Select All button doesn't select files when you have hundreds of files. You have to manually scroll to the bottom of the page to get them pulled up to the list then do select all from the top menu.

The ajax pulling of files - 50 at a time creates a misconception for the onlooker, who are not familiar with DA, that they have only a few files. I would suggest to list all files without the ajax call.

The file manager hangs when you have many files, hundreds of thousands, and millions. Yes, I put around 18mil files to test :D

File Manager is buggy as well, there has been a lot of complains here and in the forum and no fixed yet, however, we got a new theme.

• smtalksmtalk Member

@desfire said: File Manager is buggy as well, there has been a lot of complains here and in the forum and no fixed yet

If you recall some of them - we'd really appreciate the list :smile: Thanks! Some people say they don't like it, or they are having problems, but they do not give anything specific. The more specific you can be, the quicker we can solve it.

• desfiredesfire Member
    edited May 2021

@smtalk said:

@desfire said: File Manager is buggy as well, there has been a lot of complains here and in the forum and no fixed yet

If you recall some of them - we'd really appreciate the list :smile: Thanks! Some people say they don't like it, or they are having problems, but they do not give anything specific. The more specific you can be, the quicker we can solve it.

It was already stated in this thread and you also have a lot of them on your forums, also, someone has already stated one above.

This error, for example, which I also stated in this thread in April (https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3218798/#Comment_3218798), in the forums,etc have been around since November last year: https://forum.directadmin.com/threads/file-manager-not-working-copy-move.63625/

@smtalk said: they do not give anything specific.

I am sure I gave you some specifics. You do not need anything more to reproduce the issues I mentioned.

I hope you see it in a positive way, and not only as a criticism. We, shared hosting providers depend heavily on their control panels. It is in our best interests that DA becomes as bug free as possible.

So far the features DA has are sufficient to run a shared hosting rig. But it also needs some polishing. Convenience and ease of use is more crucial than an abundance of features for shared hosting business.

The documentations are also not easy to read. You have same option spread out across 5/6 or more pages. A single option should be documented on a single page. Change logs should be appended to that page. But DA creates a new page every time a change happens to a feature.

• smtalksmtalk Member

@desfire said:
    This error, for example, which I also stated in this thread in April (https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3218798/#Comment_3218798), in the forums,etc have been around since November last year: https://forum.directadmin.com/threads/file-manager-not-working-copy-move.63625/

If was fixed in pre release long time ago. Are you sure you are still affected with pre-release? Also, you’ve mentioned multiple bugs, so, if there are any others - list would be appreciated. Thank you.

edited May 2021

@smtalk

Any updates on improving the new theme resolution at all please?

I tested it on my 23.6" monitors running 1920x1080 HD and everything looks soooooooo big...

Thanks In Advance! :)

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@desfire said:

@DA_Mark said:

@JamesF said:
    @smtalk @DA_Mark

Would really love an updated logon screen :)

This is what we have in mind but like @LeonDynamic mentioned, you can certainly customize your own.

@ViridWeb : One thing doesn't necessarily take away from the other. A front-end (skin) developer can't do things like code a migration system. Coding is a bit tougher, not just finding people with skill but people you get along with. We have a new full-time coder coming onboard soon so that is really going to help things.

Regarding migrations -- I am assuming you guys mean something slick like being able to remotely pull an account from another server (cPanel or DA) through the GUI and call it a day.

For the current method, can you guys share any stumbling points that we may not be aware of? At the moment, you can simply do a cPanel backup on the other server and then quit. Then, enter the FTP details on the DA server, and DA will pull the cpmove backup and restore it. Maybe not "slick" but it should still do the job. If there is some failure points, I know @smtalk would like to hear more.

This new login is really good.

Regarding cpanel backup to DirectAdmin, IMHO it takes too much, first you have to upload the cPanel backup, then it converts it to DirectAdmin and then it restore it. Just with one site it takes the space of three sites, if at least the current script would delete the cPanel backup or the DA backup (or both).

Also, it would be great a rsync transfer from cPanel like cPanel Transfer Tool, so it rsync the home directory and then restores the databases. Interworx has that for example.

I second this comment.

• smtalksmtalk Member

@JamesF said: Any updates on improving the new theme resolution at all please?

I tested it on my 23.6" monitors running 1920x1080 HD and everything looks soooooooo big...

Do you see less information that you've used to see? I've tested it on full-hd, but I did not notice anything weird.

Responsiveness on smaller devices has been improved a bit, more improvements may come :smile: If you notice any issues - just let us know. Thank you!

Thanked by 1seriesn
  • pierrepierre Member

I thought I read through the entire thread, guess not...

@smtalk

The icons just look really big… including the login screen (Zoom is at 100%)

I may have to take a picture with the camera.

• desfiredesfire Member
    edited May 2021

@smtalk said:

@desfire said:

If was fixed in pre release long time ago. Are you sure you are still affected with pre-release? Also, you’ve mentioned multiple bugs, so, if there are any others - list would be appreciated. Thank you.

I will not use a beta on production server and I assume most host are not running pre-release. Last update was in September, meaning people are not able to use some of the most used functions on a File Manager for eight months. We are not talking about small bugs here, we are talking about important bugs.

So if we need to install a BETA/EDGE version to get bug fixes... and yes, I understand this practice if a version was released every 2 weeks or a month, but it has been eight months. When I installed pre-release on a non-production server it automatically switched to the new theme which had some bugs, how am I suppose to install pre-binaries in a production one?

I am not the only complaining here there are a LOT of complaints on the forums about this, and we are only trying to help you out by reporting bugs. Is is that hard to release a 1.615.x periodically only with bug fixes? and make a pre-release that does not install new features (beta) and only bug fixes?

I think sometimes you just think on providers (and hence you always say: install pre-release) but I assume most licenses are not running pre-release, so end-users since September are not able to use some of the most basic stuff in File Manager (among other stuff), if they moved from cPanel and their provider changed to DirectAdmin they may even go elsewhere or they may not want to go back to DirectAdmin again, as this affects the image of DirectAdmin and also any host that uses it. I mean, 8 MONTHS without being able to copy/move/extract files on a File Manager.

• desfiredesfire Member
    edited May 2021

@JamesF said:
    @smtalk

It happens the same with the login page.

Using control and - I resized it and I think it should look like this

NOTE: I must say, while making a screencapture does not seem that BIG but it does look bigger, I will try to make a photo with my phone.

• smtalksmtalk Member

@desfire said:

@JamesF said:
    @smtalk

NOTE: I must say, while making a screencapture does not seem that BIG but it does look bigger, I will try to make a photo with my phone.

Is that latest pre-release? As it should have been fixed 3-4 days ago. Thank you for the report.

• smtalksmtalk Member

@desfire said: I understand this practice if a version was released every 2 weeks or a month

This is our goal for the future. If there are any bugfixes - release them in more frequent intervals. However, we'd like to change our updating/licensing system for this, that's in progress. Thank you for your opinion.

• desfiredesfire Member

@smtalk said:

@desfire said: I understand this practice if a version was released every 2 weeks or a month

This is our goal for the future. If there are any bugfixes - release them in more frequent intervals. However, we'd like to change our updating/licensing system for this, that's in progress. Thank you for your opinion.

I am glad it has been taken into consideration, hopefully it is realeased soong.

edited May 2021

@smtalk said:

@desfire said:

@JamesF said:
    @smtalk

Is that latest pre-release? As it should have been fixed 3-4 days ago. Thank you for the report.

Mines still like it and I did a fresh server yesterday.... It's like DirectAdmin got Bloated!!! :D :D

It would look nice if they got rid of the 'DirectAdmin' Words and just kept the Logo itself.

It would be cool if the background moved slightly... a bit 3D ish :)

• coolicecoolice Member

@smtalk said:

@desfire said:

@JamesF said:
    @smtalk

It is how i see it on demo.directadmin.com:2222 1080p 15.6 Laptop (Latest Chrome, Linux)

demo.directadmin.com:2222 is still broken for me... :*

• smtalksmtalk Member
    edited May 2021

@JamesF said:
    demo.directadmin.com:2222 is still broken for me... :*

@JamesF @coolice Is it still the same?

• AlwaysSkintAlwaysSkint Member
    edited May 2021

@smtalk It's a scam!
    Processor Name Vendor ID Processor Speed (MHz)
    Sperry 8088 Sperry 4
    :D

Thanked by 1seriesn
    edited May 2021

@smtalk Yep still broken... The login bit is almost the size of the whole screen....