Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Directadmin Feedback Thread! Feedback wanted to help improve the product! - Page 43
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Directadmin Feedback Thread! Feedback wanted to help improve the product!

Comments

• Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep

@zafouhar said: Its already per domain as far as I am aware, can you clarify this?

Using CloudLinux the PHP selector in the UI is per user account.

• @Mr_Tom said:

@zafouhar said: Its already per domain as far as I am aware, can you clarify this?

Ahh I don't use CloudLinux just plain DA and I can change the PHP version on a per domain basis.

Thanked by 1Mr_Tom
  • Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep

Aah okay. I'll spin up a test VM with DA and have a play.

My only other improvement would be better IPv6 management (i.e being able to assign a /64 to an account and each domain gets it's own address).

• JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep

Yep, I binned cloudlinux for bubble wrap and jail shell. Sites are so much quicker and less ram is actually being used compared to running cloudlinux.

• @JamesF said:
    Yep, I binned cloudlinux for bubble wrap and jail shell. Sites are so much quicker and less ram is actually being used compared to running cloudlinux.

What do you use to limit account resource usage if your not using CloudLinux?

• skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

Make a icon which is labeled move from Cpanel, where users can directly put their files into, instead of having to put it into a specific folder

• @LeonDynamic said:

@JamesF said:

Maybe imposing resource limits aren't as necessary as we are lead to believe?

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited April 2021

@sparek said: Maybe imposing resource limits aren't as necessary as we are lead to believe?

#1 reason to use Cloudlinux is for the security. Everything else is a nicety.

Francisco

• @Mr_Tom said:

I think that's a CL issue though.

• @JamesF said: Yep, I binned cloudlinux for bubble wrap and jail shell. Sites are so much quicker and less ram is actually being used compared to running cloudlinux.

Have you noticed anything difference in terms of overall resource usage? Do you allow your folks to customize php.ini to increase their limits?

• They have been without releasing a new version for 6 months, not even one for bug fixes. File Manager was unusable with Firefox and they released the fix 2 weeks ago (after 6 months) but for pre-release only.

• @desfire said: File Manager was unusable with Firefox

I use the File Manager with Firefox everyday without issues. Do you have a link?

• coolicecoolice Member
    edited April 2021

@Mr_Tom said:

It can be per site in with cloudlinux with lsapi / litespeed

https://www.cloudlinux.com/cloudlinux-os-blog/entry/different-php-versions-per-directories-using-mod-lsapi

Need somehting else for extensions, but you got to find it yourself in DA forums

• @DianTama said:

@refik said:
    Hello,

Can we install nodejs under DA? Maybe with some GUI?

+1

I'm searching for this too,
    because now I'm working on nodejs so I need a way to deploy my nodejs project to DA without a hassle.

Not yet there only because of https://github.com/nginx/unit/issues/413, they're planning to fix it in 2021 (this year), I think the more demand it gets, the sooner they'd have it implemented. So, you're more than welcome to post a wish to get it there :smile:

The only official implementation for NodeJS on DA is NodeJS selector from CloudLinux at this time.

Python (with ASGI support)/Ruby/Java/Perl/PHP are already supported there in pre-release in Pro Pack, so, they'll be included into stable soon.

@desfire said:
    They have been without releasing a new version for 6 months, not even one for bug fixes. File Manager was unusable with Firefox and they released the fix 2 weeks ago (after 6 months) but for pre-release only.

Hm.. We're sorry for this if this is true. But is is first time I hear that filemanager does not work at all in firefox. I'm happy to hear pre-release fixes it for you.

Regarding the new version - we've been working on totally new (and default) look, bulk pricing and other features (and bugfixes), most of the things are finished, so, new release is just around the corner (no exact date set, but a public announcement for beta/RC should be there soon).

Thanked by 2seriesn JamesF
  • @sparek said:

@LeonDynamic said:

@JamesF said:

Maybe imposing resource limits aren't as necessary as we are lead to believe?

It's doable in pre-release of DA: https://docs.directadmin.com/other-hosting-services/pro-resource-throttling/general/

• @smtalk said:

Regarding the new version - we've been working on totally new (and default) look, bulk pricing and other features (and bugfixes), most of the things are finished, so, new release is just around the corner (no exact date set, but a public announcement for beta/RC should be there soon).

You guys took new year new me to a whole different level! Nice nice.

Thanked by 1smtalk
  • @SmallWeb said:

@desfire said: File Manager was unusable with Firefox

I use the File Manager with Firefox everyday without issues. Do you have a link?

I and some other people posted on forums https://forum.directadmin.com/threads/directadmin-1-61-5-has-been-released.62257/page-3#post-329240

There was also a separate thread talking about it too

• @desfire said:

@SmallWeb said:

I and some other people posted on forums https://forum.directadmin.com/threads/directadmin-1-61-5-has-been-released.62257/page-3#post-329240

This was about selecting folders where to move files for, not the file manager in general, am I wrong?

• Totally misleading to say "File Manager was unusable with Firefox". That's just trying to start a fight.

• @smtalk said:

@desfire said:

@SmallWeb said:

This was about selecting folders where to move files for, not the file manager in general, am I wrong?

Select, move, copy and extract. One of the main features of a file manager and it took 6 months to fix and only on prerelease. Without those features you can barey upload, create and rename.

I love DA, don't get me wrong, but I think a glitch like this one should had been fixed long ago and for everyone and not only beta testers.

• @desfire said: Select, move, copy and extract. One of the main features of a file manager and it took 6 months to fix and only on prerelease. Without those features you can barey upload, create and rename.

May you let us know the ticket ID? It is really weird that it took 6 months from the creation of the support ticket to the fix.

• @smtalk said:

@desfire said: Select, move, copy and extract. One of the main features of a file manager and it took 6 months to fix and only on prerelease. Without those features you can barey upload, create and rename.

May you let us know the ticket ID? It is really weird that it took 6 months from the creation of the support ticket to the fix.

I (and some other people) posted on the forums

• @desfire said:

@smtalk said:

@desfire said: Select, move, copy and extract. One of the main features of a file manager and it took 6 months to fix and only on prerelease. Without those features you can barey upload, create and rename.

Even if there was no ticket for this to get our attention immediately, I'm attaching a screenshot of your initial post on the forums, post date highlighted. It was posted on 9th of March, I guess it was fixed days after, I am not sure where do these "6 months to fix a bug" come from?

• desfiredesfire Member
    edited April 2021

@smtalk said:

@desfire said:

@smtalk said:

Even if there was no ticket for this to get our attention immediately, I'm attaching a screenshot of your initial post on the forums, post date highlighted. It was posted on 9th of March, I guess it was fixed days after, I am not sure where do these "6 months to fix a bug" come from?

The first one in that topic (not mine) is this one (
    https://forum.directadmin.com/threads/directadmin-1-61-5-has-been-released.62257/post-323958), from December and not fixed in prerelease as mentioned. I saw some comments on the forum when the new file manager was released about it too (6 months ago), I was not using Firefox back then, only Opera so I did not pay much attention to it.

Other ones:

In February: https://forum.directadmin.com/threads/the-copy-move-modal-used-in-file-manager-is-not-displayed-correctly.63186/

Reported in October 2019: https://forum.directadmin.com/threads/problem-in-file-manager-copy-move.62418/

My first topic was indeed the 9th but it got fixed around a week ago, left a few posts with more details even quoting you with no answer. But as early said, the bug was reported quite a long time ago, just not by me.

I have always admired your work and never had any problem, just left a recommendation: last update was more than 6 months ago, all bug fixed were fixed in pre-release, so, as of today, users using Firefox cannot move, copy or unzip on Fifefox if they don't use pre-release (BETA) [Among other bugs, specially in the new File Manager), wouldnt it be better to release from month to month or week to week stable version with those fixes? It's just a recommendation that I made on the forum as well. Specifically where there has been a lot of bugs in the new File Manager and fixes were only sent to pre-release: https://forum.directadmin.com/threads/filmemanager-create-copy-in-same-folder.62640/#post-326390

My main concern (and not how much you take to fix issues) is stable and pre-release. All these bugs affect end-user so if the admin of the server does not or do not like updating to a BETA the end-user will still get the glitchs. If you take a couple days to fix an issue but is not avaliable for non-beta testers after 6 months, what's the point?

Again, I love DA and you are doing a great job with the panel, in just over a year you have introduced a lot of features and made the panel really user-friendly, so I can only be thankfully for that. And I do understand that you are working hard on developing new features, I just think releasing more stable versions with bug fixes would benefit all users. Kudos for your work.

Oh and sorry if anything sounded rude or smt, English is not my mother tongue. It wasn't my intention.

Thanked by 1DA_Mark
  • @desfire

Thanks for taking the time to explain everything. I see part of this was an error in communication/understanding. If you do not wish to run the pre-release binaries, then of course rapid fixes mean nothing to you because you have to wait for the final release.

In all truth, pre-release was never intended to be an experimental/testing thing. It's a way we can instantly make an adjustment/fix and push it out right away -- exactly for the reasons you mention. You don't want to wait long for a bugfix.

Or, think of it this way: if 5/10 features (or fixes) are completed for the next release.. why not give access them now, to those who want it? It doesn't mean you are testing buggy stuff; it just means early access to stuff that's completed.

On the other hand, I get that you may not want to install anything that isn't quite ready. For example, our new Revised skin is available in the pre-release and there are a couple (very minor) fixes that are needed. If you are using our software for your customers, then you don't want them to see anything buggy either. So I get it.

What do you think of this idea? Simplifying the release system while giving more options. Perhaps as simple as some checkboxes in the license/updates section of the admin panel. You can check "bugfixes" and uncheck "features" -- so the pre-release only increases stability.

Does that sound like it would solve this problem? You could report bugs, get fixes right away, but not be forced to run anything uncompleted/still in need of final tweaks.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@DA_Mark said: Does that sound like it would solve this problem? You could report bugs, get fixes right away, but not be forced to run anything uncompleted/still in need of final tweaks.

That'd likely help a lot and quell some of the 'nothings getting done around here' views.

Any sneak peaks at the interface changes? :) I'm guessing something a little more oakely?

Francisco

Thanked by 2desfire coolice
  • @Francisco said:

@DA_Mark said: Does that sound like it would solve this problem? You could report bugs, get fixes right away, but not be forced to run anything uncompleted/still in need of final tweaks.

That'd likely help a lot and quell some of the 'nothings getting done around here' views.

Any sneak peaks at the interface changes? :) I'm guessing something a little more oakely?

Francisco

Directadmin rebranded to DPanel.

• DA_MarkDA_Mark Member
    edited April 2021

@Francisco said:

Francisco

As mentioned, already in the pre-release and demo on our site as well. :smile:

Thanked by 3bula desfire Limpan
  • desfiredesfire Member
    edited April 2021

@DA_Mark said:
    @desfire

Thanks for taking the time to explain everything. I see part of this was an error in communication/understanding. If you do not wish to run the pre-release binaries, then of course rapid fixes mean nothing to you because you have to wait for the final release.

In all truth, pre-release was never intended to be an experimental/testing thing. It's a way we can instantly make an adjustment/fix and push it out right away -- exactly for the reasons you mention. You don't want to wait long for a bugfix.

Or, think of it this way: if 5/10 features (or fixes) are completed for the next release.. why not give access them now, to those who want it? It doesn't mean you are testing buggy stuff; it just means early access to stuff that's completed.

On the other hand, I get that you may not want to install anything that isn't quite ready. For example, our new Revised skin is available in the pre-release and there are a couple (very minor) fixes that are needed. If you are using our software for your customers, then you don't want them to see anything buggy either. So I get it.

What do you think of this idea? Simplifying the release system while giving more options. Perhaps as simple as some checkboxes in the license/updates section of the admin panel. You can check "bugfixes" and uncheck "features" -- so the pre-release only increases stability.

Does that sound like it would solve this problem? You could report bugs, get fixes right away, but not be forced to run anything uncompleted/still in need of final tweaks.

Oh, I have prebinaries installed, I'm not talking like a server-owner client (as I can do anything vía Command Line faster) but more from a shared hosting point of view. There are some users that only use file manager, mysql and few more things, if anything, FTP. So having a File Manager that cannot move, copy or extract files can make them switch to a host not using DirectAdmin or they drive themselves crazy. Taking into cosideration most hosts are more likely not using prebinaries for what you have stated before, it takes a while for bugs to get fixed.

What you said it is exactly what I was talking about, something like this:

Stable Version 1.6
    Release Candidate 1.6.1 (only bug fixes)
    Pre-binaries 1.6.1x (BETA, same as now)

Release candidate could receive weekly updates just with bug fixes (or even automatic as you said, just bug fixes and not new beta features), as only bug fixes are released, most hosts would have it enabled and clients will receive updates quite frequently.

Thanks again for your amazing work!

BTW, any chances to include a tick box on File Manager to select all files? Had some clients wondering about it (as in cPanel there is the option to "select all" and "unselect all" but not in DA)

• There is plan to add mongodb?