Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Directadmin Feedback Thread! Feedback wanted to help improve the product! - Page 50
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Directadmin Feedback Thread! Feedback wanted to help improve the product!

Comments

• @smtalk said:

@Fritz said:
    What if I want to use the one integrated to the panel? Like what cpanel does.

Is that possible?

There is no ability to control WebDAV accounts in DirectAdmin interface yet. There seems to be a feature request for it though: https://feedback.directadmin.com/b/feature-requests/webdav-access

Feel free to add your upvote so we can see demand growing for this.

Uh oh.. no thanks. Last vote was 2 years ago.

I'll figure out other alternative.

• Ok there is a new file manager and is the worse I have seen in a while
    https://forum.directadmin.com/threads/a-little-feedback-on-the-new-file-manager-ui.65351/

• @sandoz said:

@mwt said:
    Do people like DA better than VestaCP? I've never used DA, but I thought VestaCP was a pretty good replacement. I haven't used a panel in a while though.

You are comparing a shitty panel free with a paid panel with regular updates.

Do you realize that VestaCP isn't updated since along time ago? Exploits and vulnerabilities everywhere.. not safe anymore.

Personally I should never go with a Hosting Provider who provides VestaCP panel as their self own web hosting panel...

There is MyVestaCP and HestiaCP tho, both updated quite often, although of course, DA is still miles better.

• The cPanel FM and legacy Editor (current one is crap) are still the best, IMHO. Compact file listing, no silly paging and clear layout. Too much effort is made to prettify FM in other panels, whereas functionality is key eg. vertical spacing of file listings. I suspect some of this is to cater for mobile users, however. :(

• Request pro features can be used on all packages

• @AlwaysSkint said:
    The cPanel FM and legacy Editor (current one is crap) are still the best, IMHO. Compact file listing, no silly paging and clear layout. Too much effort is made to prettify FM in other panels, whereas functionality is key eg. vertical spacing of file listings. I suspect some of this is to cater for mobile users, however. :(

cPanel file directory is not responsive tho

• AlwaysSkintAlwaysSkint Member
    edited January 2022

@desfire said: cPanel file directory is not responsive tho

If you store thousands of files in the same directory, then yes. Otherwise, it's fine and one should know better. ;) (Feck, what am I saying? People prefer dumbing down, these days.)

• MechanicWebMechanicWeb Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 2022

@AlwaysSkint said: If you store thousands of files in the same directory, then yes.

Edit:
    You were referring to cP FM?

Alright.

I was referring to the DA FM. It can't load 50 files at a time, and scrolling down creates an empty space - no file list on the bottom of the screen.

The file manager has never been one of the strongest parts of DA. It just got from bad to worse.

• @MechanicWeb said: You are oversimplifying. We all like DA, but the file manager has never been one of the strongest parts of DA.

You must be skim reading! I'm not defending DA File Manager; try re-reading. We were discussing cPanel FM.

• There were some FM problems in the last release but they were patched quickly. Anyone affected, can you please run:

/usr/local/directadmin/scripts/getDA.sh alpha

Then, report to us what problem(s) remain, if any? If something is not working properly we definitely want to address it before the next release.

Also we are really open to feedback but techs like us are not able to derive much from comments like "it sucks." If you want to post screenshots/video/etc. of a FM you really love, it will give us 1000x more direction on the topic! :sunglasses:

edited January 2022

@DA_Mark said: If you want to post screenshots..

Though too much space is wasted (eg. top menu items padding), IMO.

Thanked by 1DA_Mark
    edited January 2022

@DA_Mark said: Anyone affected, can you please run:

I like DA more now than it was before. It speaks for itself the hard work you all are doing. The installation experience is now much better - breeze compared to old times.

Regarding the File Manager, the dom fetch is a big problem. Why does it fetch the list of files as it scrolls? When you have 100+ files, it displays a white sheet below 100 files.

On most busy sites, you are going to have 100+ files in a directory. You are going to run into all sorts of issues if you keep the dom fetch. Please reconsider. Some clients moved to cP solely due to this reason.

They are end users, not server admins that they will use SSH. They need the File Manager to manipulate those files.

I cannot stress this enough. It gives a notion that the DA UI designer team does not have any first hand experience with file manipulation via UI and/or sites that have more than 100 files in a directory. Otherwise, these issues wouldn't leave the drawing board. The File Manager issues are too recurring. This notion is a dangerous notion among end users.

The toolbar appears only after selecting a file. It should remain visible at all times, with file manipulation options visible without requiring to click on "More..."

There are a couple more issues, but I forgot :)

I know it is your stand that DA is not a cP alternative, but I had to give you a perspective. The larger market is out there. It is on DA to appeal to them.

Not only cP, non standard control panels are on the rise. Users do not need a hundred options in their control panel. Most only need the options to manage WordPress, PHP extensions, File Manager, SSH and FTP.

@AlwaysSkint said: You must be skim reading! I'm not defending DA File Manager; try re-reading. We were discussing cPanel FM.

Come on! One poor soul can't skim 50 pages after a long hard day?

edited January 2022

I hate that infuriating error message when I try to change PHP versions. Every variant of PHP 7.4 that is chosen, causes the same unhelpful

CustomBuild
    value is not a valid option.

Scrub that, ANY change to my already selected PHP_1 7.3/fpm PHP_2 7.3/suphp gives the exact same message. If there IS any invalid option then it shouldn't be displayed for a particular combination.

• @AlwaysSkint -- that ain't right. Any chance of a support ticket and giving us access? Could be a bug that needs to be examined and fixed.

Thanked by 2smtalk AlwaysSkint
    edited January 2022

Sorry for the typo, it should read

@AlwaysSkint said: PHP_1 7.3/fpm PHP_2 7.2/suphp

Not that it should matter.

@DA_Mark said: Any chance of a support ticket..

In the 1st instance, could you point me in the direction of appropriate log(s) - it may be something obvious? Ta.

[Edit] Discovered a heap in /var/log/directadmin, including daily ones that have never been cleaned out by a logrotate. :( Now to figure out what to grep for in the files - assuming something's logged.

postrotate
                    find /var/log/directadmin -name "20*log*" -mtime +15 -exec /bin/rm -f {} \; >/dev/null 2>&1 || true
            endscript

This ain't working - I've got 2 year's worth. :| Manually culled using same command.

Replicated on another instance:
    CustomBuild 2.0.0 (rev: 2830)
    Dashboard / Plugins / Edit Options

edited January 2022

@DA_Mark
    I've saved the old options.conf and manually changed to PHP 7.3/php-fpm & PHP 7.4/php-fpm. During the Custombuild I noticed a heap of warnings about Zend - of course, during this long build time my website was unavailable. Using the GUI I rebuilt PHP; site still unavailable, so in the GUI changed Zend to no and it saved fine. :-/
    In the GUI I rebuilt opcache and the website became available again.
    Drama over, though something was amiss.

cat /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/options.conf.old

PHP Settings

php1_release=7.2
    php1_mode=mod_php
    php2_release=7.3
    php2_mode=suphp
    php3_release=no
    php3_mode=php-fpm
    php4_release=no
    php4_mode=php-fpm
    secure_php=yes
    php_ini=yes
    php_timezone=Europe/Luxembourg
    php_ini_type=production
    x_mail_header=yes

MySQL Settings

mysql=5.7
    mariadb=10.4
    mysql_inst=mysql
    mysql_backup=yes
    mysql_backup_gzip=yes
    mysql_backup_dir=/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/mysql_backups
    mysql_force_compile=no

WEB Server Settings

unit=no
    webserver=apache
    http_methods=ALL
    litespeed_serialno=trial
    modsecurity=yes
    modsecurity_ruleset=comodo
    apache_ver=2.4
    apache_mpm=auto
    mod_ruid2=no
    userdir_access=yes
    harden_symlinks_patch=yes
    use_hostname_for_alias=auto
    redirect_host=slice2.xxxxxxx.com
    redirect_host_https=no

WEB Applications Settings

phpmyadmin=yes
    phpmyadmin_public=yes
    phpmyadmin_ver=5
    squirrelmail=no
    roundcube=yes
    webapps_inbox_prefix=no

ClamAV-related Settings

clamav=no
    clamav_exim=yes
    modsecurity_uploadscan=no
    proftpd_uploadscan=no
    pureftpd_uploadscan=no
    suhosin_php_uploadscan=no

Mail Settings

exim=yes
    eximconf=yes
    eximconf_release=4.5
    blockcracking=no
    easy_spam_fighter=no
    spamd=no
    sa_update=daily
    dovecot=yes
    dovecot_conf=yes
    mail_compress=no
    pigeonhole=no

FTP Settings

ftpd=pureftpd

Statistics Settings

awstats=yes
    webalizer=yes

PHP Extension Settings

CustomBuild Settings

custombuild=2.0
    custombuild_plugin=yes
    autover=no
    bold=yes
    clean=yes
    cleanapache=yes
    clean_old_tarballs=yes
    clean_old_webapps=yes
    downloadserver=files-de.directadmin.com
    unofficial_mirrors=no

Cronjob Settings

cron=yes
    cron_frequency=daily
    [email protected]
    notifications=no
    da_autoupdate=yes
    updates=yes
    webapps_updates=yes

CloudLinux Settings

cloudlinux=no
    cloudlinux_beta=no
    cagefs=no

Advanced Settings

autoconf=yes
    automake=yes
    libtool=yes
    curl=yes
    new_pcre=yes
    ssl_configuration=intermediate

PHP extensions can be found in php_extensions.conf

redis=no
    csf=no

cat /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/php_extensions.conf

PHP Extension Settings

gmp=yes
    htscanner=no
    imagick=yes
    imap=no
    ioncube=yes
    opcache=yes
    phalcon=no
    suhosin=yes
    snuffleupagus=no
    xmlrpc=yes
    zend=no
    ldap=no
    readline=no
    redis=no
    bz2=yes
    igbinary=no

• handyhosthandyhost Member, Host Rep

@DA_Mark Can we get an option where we can hide license type eg: The license shows as $x datacenter license and two of my customers asked whether i have given them cracked license. I replied them with the license verification page. it will be better if we can hide the license type on update license page.

• @handyhost said:
    @DA_Mark Can we get an option where we can hide license type eg: The license shows as $x datacenter license and two of my customers asked whether i have given them cracked license. I replied them with the license verification page. it will be better if we can hide the license type on update license page.

I see your ticket -- we'll take care of it. It shouldn't be that specific.

Thanked by 1handyhost

@DA_Mark said:

@handyhost said:

I see your ticket -- we'll take care of it. It shouldn't be that specific.

Thanks for the quick fix

• AdvinAdvin Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 2022

@desfire said:

@sandoz said:

@mwt said:
    Do people like DA better than VestaCP? I've never used DA, but I thought VestaCP was a pretty good replacement. I haven't used a panel in a while though.

You are comparing a shitty panel free with a paid panel with regular updates.

Do you realize that VestaCP isn't updated since along time ago? Exploits and vulnerabilities everywhere.. not safe anymore.

Personally I should never go with a Hosting Provider who provides VestaCP panel as their self own web hosting panel...

There is MyVestaCP and HestiaCP tho, both updated quite often, although of course, DA is still miles better.

It really depends on the use case. I honestly liked HestiaCP a lot more than DirectAdmin. But, I feel like HestiaCP isn't targeted for selling hosting, and is more of a panel for personal/small websites. DirectAdmin looks to be more targeted to those who are looking to sell hosting or are looking to give out hosting to others.

Did DirectAdmin Discontinue Internal Licenses?

• DA_MarkDA_Mark Member
    edited May 2022

It can idle out in very extreme circumstances but it could be for other reasons too, so it's best to contact us about it.

I should also mention that we just came out with a new retail Personal Plus license. It's the Personal license:

+1 account (2 total)
    +10 domains (20 total)
    +Pro Pack
    +Monthly pricing instead of annual ($5/mo)

It was born out of frequent requests for a Personal license with Pro Pack, especially those wanting separation between admin and end-user. Nobody wanted to jump to a Lite license for this 1+1 scenario, so the Personal Plus license was born.

Not sure if it will be a game-changer. We haven't mentioned it anywhere else but our own forum, and now here, but it already seems to have good uptake. :)

Thanked by 2Francisco ChefJoe
  • DirectAdmin is like fine wine - aging to perfection. To be blunt, cPanel is great and has set the bar but DA is set to be the new de facto in the not too distant future at this rate.

• Facing wierd issues while using DA file manager on mobile after update : ( can't open folders properly, it gets selected instead

edited May 2022

@neverain said: while using DA file manager on mobile after update : ( can't open folders properly, it gets selected instead

Ahh, that's 'cos real men don't use mobiles for server admin and they're directories, not folders. >:)

• sandozsandoz Veteran

@dahartigan said:
    DirectAdmin is like fine wine - aging to perfection. To be blunt, cPanel is great and has set the bar but DA is set to be the new de facto in the not too distant future at this rate.

What you think DirectAdmin should do? To be near close to cPanel? Because just saying doesn't thing. But if you express what you are not satisfied about Directadmin maybe they can know it and to their development...

• @sandoz said:

@dahartigan said:
    DirectAdmin is like fine wine - aging to perfection. To be blunt, cPanel is great and has set the bar but DA is set to be the new de facto in the not too distant future at this rate.

What you think DirectAdmin should do? To be near close to cPanel? Because just saying doesn't thing. But if you express what you are not satisfied about Directadmin maybe they can know it and to their development...

Please re-read my post. I praise directadmin.

• sandozsandoz Veteran

@dahartigan said:

@sandoz said:

@dahartigan said:

I advice you to re-read your own post. Since you did a comparasion. But you still saying it will be Next new cPanel. But you Said not to distant future.

Why that? What kind of features it needs to be side to side with cPanel?

I think you didn't understand my question. I was talking about why people still saying cPanel is better in what? And what DA needs to improve? That's the question.

I fully understand your opinion. I think you didn't notice what I tried to ask to you.

• @sandoz said:

@dahartigan said:

@sandoz said:

@dahartigan said:

I advice you to re-read your own post. Since you did a comparasion. But you still saying it will be Next new cPanel. But you Said not to distant future.

Why that? What kind of features it needs to be side to side with cPanel?

I think you didn't understand my question. I was talking about why people still saying cPanel is better in what? And what DA needs to improve? That's the question.

I fully understand your opinion. I think you didn't notice what I tried to ask to you.

cPanel is not better than DirectAdmin any more than Windows is better than Linux. cPanel is the defacto panel, and Windows is the defacto OS.

I am basically saying that DirectAdmin is awesome and is fast overtaking cPanel in terms of adoption and adding new features. DirectAdmin stands out in that it's not a greedy monster like cPanel in terms of licensing, etc.

Did I answer your question?