Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

50% off In our budget servers ! Located in Romania , Last chance to get a really cheap dedicated ! - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

50% off In our budget servers ! Located in Romania , Last chance to get a really cheap dedicated !

Comments

• moni099878 said: e5-2450l?

out of stock , only budget servers is remain but verry low too...

• @cociu , more speed tests.

• abaaba Member

the same result as mine too

• @aba said:
    the same result as mine too

even ping to google is 30ms+. not sure that network is really congested . I think some other people's server bench looks fine.

• cociucociu Member
    edited January 2019

mrclown said: @cociu , more speed tests.

Solution:

apt-get install ethtool net-tools
    and add the following lines to /etc/network/interfaces to manually configure the ethernet link to 100/full during boot without autoneg.

link-speed 100
    link-duplex full
    ethernet-autoneg off

@aba

Thanked by 2aba Anna_Parker
  • @cociu any possible on adding IPs

• @cociu said:

mrclown said: @cociu , more speed tests.

Solution:

apt-get install ethtool net-tools
    and add the following lines to /etc/network/interfaces to manually configure the ethernet link to 100/full during boot without autoneg.

link-speed 100
    link-duplex full
    ethernet-autoneg off

@aba

@cociu Thanks. Improved speed but latency is still higher, not a big thing though.

Still need ur help to resolve debian/proxmox installation issue. Waiting for iLO/IPMI. Ticket #124431

• singhigh said: @cociu any possible on adding IPs

yes but will be in the next days , we are full ...

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@eol said:

@cociu said:
    if you pay for a year in advance and use the cupon code you have the same price durring 12 years :)

Sounds optimistic.

EDIT2:

I’d love to see those already ancient SAS drives chugging along in 12 years time.

Thanked by 2mrclown eol
  • abaaba Member

by default it install centos which i am not familiar with. I need to reinstall ubuntu first. fresh ubuntu root password seems buggy.

• aba said: by default it install centos which i am not familiar with. I need to reinstall ubuntu first. fresh ubuntu root password seems buggy.

for ubuntu you must to login via username (is ask about username and password when you reinstall for username) and after login use su -

• CentOS and Ubuntu looks fine to me. Just debian installation doesn't work. same goes for proxmox.

• @cociu plz check ticket #902623

• @cociu said:

TheRealDeal said: Joking aside cool offers. Would it be possible to get a Hard Drive shipped to you to install? Thanks a lot

yes you can ship your own hdd. Must be 2.5 inch.

ahahahaha..
    how much i have to pay to install the hdd?
    I dont want to travel to romania right now ;-)

• cociucociu Member
    edited January 2019

@gonzo

My sister , here the sex is free :)

• here too :-D

• gonzo said: here too :-D

sorry i love @Nekki but we can do something in 3

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Wait, you still did not fixed the half duplex issue?
    Did you fixed the IPMI issue?

• but.. whats about the costs of setting up a hdd?

• cociucociu Member
    edited January 2019

gonzo said: but.. whats about the costs of setting up a hdd?

free, many of LET users can confirm.

• cociucociu Member
    edited January 2019

Neoon said: Wait, you still did not fixed the half duplex issue?

Did you fixed the IPMI issue?

i am too lazy ... about duplex issue. About IPMI what kind of issue you had ? like you see anothers can use it , true is a generation six this servers (100mbps port in management ) , sucks panel but is usable

• dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

To give @cociu another positive feedback, I can confirm that sending hardware to be installed in the server definitely works. Open a support ticket, he will send you the details for the shipping and organize yourself a parcel to Romania. Within EU you should probably end up between 10 and 20 EUR. It can take time depending on cociu's current work load but some happy day you'll see your HDDs showing up in your cheap old server. :)

Regarding the half duplex issue, well, auto negotiation should be expected but on the other hand if you know it it is really no work to add those three lines to your network configuration to setup 100/full fixed. Then everything is perfect. Otherwise of course your network performance will be pathetic due to tons of spurious ethernet collisions.

Thanked by 1cociu
  • dfroe said: auto negotiation should be expected but on the other hand if you know it it is really no work to add those three lines to your network configuration to setup 100/full fixed

thanks for feedback, about port setting to be true i prefer to not have clients who dont know to edit a file in linux, this is a unmanaged service so if you dont know this i think is better avoid to buy even is a cheap dedi because lather you cannot use it.

@cociu said:
    thanks for feedback, about port setting to be true i prefer to not have clients who dont know to edit a file in linux, this is a unmanaged service so if you dont know this i think is better avoid to buy even is a cheap dedi because lather you cannot use it.

Basically I agree with what you mean. But maybe you should make this information more visible, because even if people are smart enough, if they are not told to manually configure their NIC to 100/full, they might miss it. Really having the need to manually setup manual speed settings on NICs instead of having auto negotiation advertising 100/full remembers me a bit of the 90's. :) I do not know whether this information is meanwhile part of a notification mail. At least there is no hint in WHMCS nearby the IP configuration (where I myself would expect such non-intuitive details). On the other hand this way you can ensure customers are able to read whole threads on LET. :)

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • abaaba Member

@cociu Thank you for the guidline. Now my dedi is better network but disk i/o seems lower than others.

CPU model : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU L5630 @ 2.13GHz
    Number of cores : 16
    CPU frequency : 1649.513 MHz
    Total size of Disk : 133.9 GB (4.0 GB Used)
    Total amount of Mem : 7962 MB (179 MB Used)
    Total amount of Swap : 2047 MB (0 MB Used)
    System uptime : 0 days, 2 hour 37 min
    Load average : 0.01, 0.06, 0.14
    Arch : x86_64 (64 Bit)

Kernel : 4.15.0-23-generic

I/O speed(1st run) : 84.9 MB/s
    I/O speed(2nd run) : 82.2 MB/s
    I/O speed(3rd run) : 82.0 MB/s

Average I/O speed : 83.0 MB/s

Node Name IPv4 address Download Speed
    CacheFly 205.234.175.175 11.1MB/s
    Linode, Tokyo, JP 106.187.96.148 4.04MB/s
    Linode, Singapore, SG 139.162.23.4 3.75MB/s
    Linode, London, UK 176.58.107.39 10.5MB/s
    Linode, Frankfurt, DE 139.162.130.8 11.0MB/s
    Linode, Fremont, CA 50.116.14.9 6.64MB/s
    Softlayer, Dallas, TX 173.192.68.18 8.22MB/s
    Softlayer, Seattle, WA 67.228.112.250 7.48MB/s
    Softlayer, Frankfurt, DE 159.122.69.4 11.1MB/s
    Softlayer, Singapore, SG 119.81.28.170 6.40MB/s

Softlayer, HongKong, CN 119.81.130.170 5.86MB/s

Thanked by 2eol mrclown

@aba said:
    @cociu Thank you for the guidline. Now my dedi is better network but disk i/o seems lower than others.
    [...]

Considering that the whole gear (CPU, HDD, RAID) is about 8 years old, those numbers don't look bad to me.

@mrclown said:
    CentOS and Ubuntu looks fine to me. Just debian installation doesn't work. same goes for proxmox.

Remember that this server has a broadcom network card which needs proprietary firmware to be loaded. This firmware is not part of the default debian image. Without this broadcom firmware the nic will show up but not work properly.

There is an unofficial build which also includes this non-free firmware:
    https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/

With this installer you can also install Debian.

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • @dfroe said:

@mrclown said:
    CentOS and Ubuntu looks fine to me. Just debian installation doesn't work. same goes for proxmox.

Remember that this server has a broadcom network card which needs proprietary firmware to be loaded. This firmware is not part of the default debian image. Without this broadcom firmware the nic will show up but not work properly.

no iLO/IPMI provided yet, @cociu is busy with other customers.. so, no chance to install. Stuck with either CentOS or Ubuntu

• @dfroe said:

@mrclown said:

For this and similar info, @cociu really should set up a simple knowledge base or wiki (which is what you also hinted at earlier).

@angstrom said:
    For this and similar info, @cociu really should set up a simple knowledge base or wiki (which is what you also hinted at earlier).

I agree. But on the other hand, you got this dirty cheap server (even below costs for electricity in my country), be smart enough and take it as a challenge to make it running. ;) Those missing broadcom firmware, the half-duplex problem, this is all usual troubleshooting where it is always worth knowing all the knobs and tools to solve it.