Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

1Fichier Christmas Offer: 10€/year Premium - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

1Fichier Christmas Offer: 10€/year Premium

Comments

• @anonym_user said:

@Ympker said:

@anonym_user said:
    How do you guys send your tiered backups to 1fichier?
    Do you use a custom script?

What are "tiered" backups? Never heard the term :S

For non crucial stuff I directly send them via FTP(S) from a backup plugin or whatever. For important stuff I backup via SFTP to my small vps first, then encrypt it and FTP(S) it to 1Fichier.

I mean a backup of the backup (tiered - graded, staggered, terraced).
    Do you have a script which encrypt the archive and the send it to 1fichier via ftp?

Is there a way to create folders using there ftp?

Ah, gotcha. Well for crucial stuff the backups are sent from my small vps to multiple backup locations. For not so imporant stuff I don't keep tiered/graded backups so to speak. Only 1 at 1Fichier, 1 with my webhost (because almost all shared hosting I use offer Daily Backups with JetBackup) and one on my external hard drive.
    Currently I don't use a script to upload them to 1Fichier.

No you can't do anything with 1Fichier FTP but upload to it. You can however in your web dashboard create folders, to which you can then assign FTP users.

Thanked by 2anonym_user default
  • anonym_useranonym_user Member
    edited February 2019

@Ympker said:

@anonym_user said:

@Ympker said:

@anonym_user said:

For non crucial stuff I directly send them via FTP(S) from a backup plugin or whatever. For important stuff I backup via SFTP to my small vps first, then encrypt it and FTP(S) it to 1Fichier.

Do you have a script which encrypt the archive and the send it to 1fichier via ftp?

Ah, gotcha. Well for crucial stuff the backups are sent from my small vps to multiple backup locations. For not so imporant stuff I don't keep tiered/graded backups so to speak. Only 1 at 1Fichier, 1 with my webhost (because almost all shared hosting I use offer Daily Backups with JetBackup) and one on my external hard drive.

No you can't do anything with 1Fichier FTP but upload to it. You can however in your web dashboard create folders, to which you can then assign FTP users.

I found no script for uploading on the web, so I created a very basic one to upload my encrypted backups to 1fichier (I use it as task on my Synology DSM).

find YOUFOLDER -type f -exec curl -u USER:PASS -T {} ftp://ftp.1fichier.com \;

• @anonym_user said:

@Ympker said:

@anonym_user said:

@Ympker said:

@anonym_user said:

I found no script for uploading on the web, so I created a very basic one to upload my encrypted backups to 1fichier (I use it as task on my Synology DSM).

Nice one ;)

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited February 2019

You can upload it with ftp, that is not really a problem.

What I tried was to use their API in dowloading files and move content from "cold storage" to "hot storage". I succeeded in creating the API for download.

At first, to make things easier I thought to download each file for small amount in /dev/null. 1Fichier completely ignored my downloads. Content downloaded, but still in cold storage.

Then I thought files should be downloaded completely for them to be moved in hot storage. With a VPS with unlimited bandwidth ( thank you @Veesp ), I downloaded files completely, again to /dev/null. It seems a complete download using API does not work either, in moving files from cold storage to hot storage.

As such, I consider movement from cold storage to hot storage is not possible by using API. If anyone had any success in this attempt, I kindly thank them beforehand for ideas, just ideas, any ideas.

Thanked by 2uptime Ympker
  • @anonym_user said:

For security reasons please don't post your username and password on public forums.

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • any ideas

@default I'm assuming you're waiting some time (maybe up to 24 hours) for their accounting to update?

• @eol said:

@anonym_user said:

For security reasons please don't post your username and password on public forums.

Thanked by 1eol
  • @uptime said:

any ideas

@default I'm assuming you're waiting some time (maybe up to 24 hours) for their accounting to update?

I already waited. Nothing, no effect.

Thanked by 2uptime eol
  • @edfox said:

@banxix said:
    I'm still seeing all the ads after upgrade to Premium.

Make sure you're logged in properly. If you upgraded to premium while logged in, try logging in again to refresh the "permissions".

@JannickNijholt said:
    Is the cold storage limit 2TB or 100TB. The websites states both and i read different things about this.

I'll try loading 10tb soon to see what happens.

Good luck with your 10tb upload with your home connection or rdp

• It's been a while since I've poked around on 1fichier - not sure if I tried this one but looks like it's using older (deprecated?) api - could be interesting to see if it still works, if any difference re moving from cold storage

https://github.com/iliak/OneDownloader

Thanked by 2eol that_guy
  • You can also check out plowshare. Its a command line filehoster up-/downloader implemented as a shellscript. Each filehoster is a module that needs to be installed as well. There is a 1fichier module, but I've never used it, and dpn't know if it's still maintained. I also don't know if it simulates normal HTTP downloading via wget, curl etc. or uses the new API. Anyways: https://github.com/mcrapet
    https://github.com/mcrapet/plowshare/wiki/Modules

Thanked by 3Ympker uptime eol
  • Would it work if you got a rdp with some dl manager that 1Fichier recommends like MiPony/JDownloader and try that. Maybe it counts when using windows dl manager^^ Just an "idea" :P

• @Ympker said:
    Would it work if you got a rdp with some dl manager that 1Fichier recommends like MiPony/JDownloader and try that. Maybe it counts when using windows dl manager^^ Just an "idea" :P

This is an interesting theory. So Microsoft created a small conspiracy to enter the storage market in order to promote Windows OS. I never thought of it this way.

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited February 2019

@default said:

@Ympker said:
    Would it work if you got a rdp with some dl manager that 1Fichier recommends like MiPony/JDownloader and try that. Maybe it counts when using windows dl manager^^ Just an "idea" :P

This is an interesting theory. So Microsoft created a small conspiracy to enter the storage market in order to promote Windows OS. I never thought of it this way.

Well, give it a try :D

• The fee is outrageous. 100% FEE for Paypal. That is BULLSHIT.

Anyone can help me ? @Ympker ? you got any workaround ?

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited February 2019

@yokowasis said:
    The fee is outrageous. 100% FEE for Paypal. That is BULLSHIT.

Last time I bought from @sanvit and before I believe I used paysafecard as we have that here in Germany. Paysafecard is basically a gift card with a 16 digit code you can purchase in supermarkets, motor inn etc.

Other then that check out the 1Fichier official resellers.
    Many accept PayPal and you can get 1 year for like 16$ish:

https://1fichier.com/revendeurs.html

• sanvitsanvit Member
    edited February 2019

@Ympker said:

@yokowasis said:
    The fee is outrageous. 100% FEE for Paypal. That is BULLSHIT.

Last time I bought from @sanvit and before I believe I used paysafecard as we have that here in Germany. Paysafecard is basically a gift card with a 16 digit code you can purchase in supermarkets, motor inn etc.

Other then that check out the 1Fichier official resellers.
    Many accept PayPal and you can get 1 year for like 16$ish:

https://1fichier.com/revendeurs.html

Thanks for the mention. I still have some left for 15USD. PM me if interested!

Edit : please use this URL to autobuy!

https://selly.gg/p/e51b6ef5

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • desperanddesperand Member
    edited February 2019

yokowasis said: That is BULLSHIT.

That what I want personally say about this provider.

They offer space and network speed but do not offer instruments for uploading files and folders at all.

It's like offering great apartments, but do not permit anyone come in, and have locked door, but keep saying: "hey, come in, we will happy to see you in our home, it's yours now too! But give me first money, and I will give many many premium features like super great 8K TV inside, but for sure you will not be able even to turn it on, or switch channels, but we have 8K TV".

I tried several times them, maybe I dumb, and do not know something hidden or "secret" in their ancient from 2000 panel, or some magic around this provider, but it's completely useless at all.

1. You can upload only 1 file via browser at 1 time.
    2. You can't upload folder
    3. You can't manage/delete/ rename your files properly and user-friendly
    4. You can't upload many files and folders at once
    5. You can't even upload any folder
    6. You restricted almost everywhere for uploading files.

WTF?

Just WTF?

For me, it's a complete scam.

I better pick BuyVM slabs or b2 storage, or ovh, or sync, or google one, instead of this crap.

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited February 2019

@desperand said:

yokowasis said: That is BULLSHIT.

That what I want personally say about this provider.

They offer space and network speed but do not offer instruments for uploading files and folders at all.

It's like offering great apartments, but do not permit anyone come in, and have locked door, but keep saying: "hey, come in, we will happy to see you in our home, it's yours now too! But give me first money, and I will give many many premium features like super great 8K TV inside, but for sure you will not be able even to turn it on, or switch channels, but we have 8K TV".

I tried several times them, maybe I dumb, and do not know something hidden or "secret" in their ancient from 2000 panel, or some magic around this provider, but it's completely useless at all.

1. You can upload only 1 file via browser at 1 time.
    2. You can't upload folder
    3. You can't manage/delete/ rename your files properly and user-friendly
    4. You can't upload many files and folders at once
    5. You can't even upload any folder
    6. You restricted almost everywhere for uploading files.

WTF?

Just WTF?

For me, it's a complete scam.

I better pick BuyVM slabs or b2 storage, or ovh, or sync, or google one, instead of this crap.

Use cases where it still makes sense to use them(numbers don't refer to your numbers):

1) For FileSharing which is/was the actual purpose of 1Fichier and for that no API/advanced usage is required. Most Filesharing sites like Speedyshare, Rapidshare, 4Shared, Mediafire intially didn't offer much more.

2) For downloading files from 1Fichier. Again, 1Fichier was/is a file sharing sites. Lots of debian.iso files were hosted with them in the past and it was one of the major filesharing hosts used in dubious forums. With Premium you could dl faster and adfree.

3) For plain and simple (automatic) ftp(s) backups. I currently backup 5 of my websites via Updraftplus + FTP and connect them to different FTP users from my 1Fichier which each have an own folder assigned. So my backups are stored in folders like:
    /website 1, /website2, /website3.

4) For Cold backups and for not so hot backups.

5) For making use of the API and downloading your files quickly without having to login on the dashboard first.

6) For its cheap price. It's reduced to 10€/year, EVERY year! It is a budget solution and it offers lots of space with that with less comfort. But then again we are cheapskates and many of us have learned to live with its' limitations and make use of it.

If you want intuitvity, flexiblity, comfort and pay more than 10€/year you will find plenty of options out there, each trying to top one another (Gdrive, Dropbox, OneDrive..). I for one am happy 1Fichier exists and enjoy it for what it is.

• @uxtvdl said:

@edfox said:

What? I was at 10tb, now deleted some files and I'm a little over 5.5TB. For some reason it's all still hot storage even though it was uploaded back in December.

• So then... what is cold storage if it never becomes hot when the owner tries to touch it?

Thanked by 3eol Ympker ehab
  • @edfox said:

@uxtvdl said:

@edfox said:

What? I was at 10tb, now deleted some files and I'm a little over 5.5TB. For some reason it's all still hot storage even though it was uploaded back in December.

Can you please explain this storage temperature thing ?

• eoleol Member
    edited February 2019

@uxtvdl said:

@edfox said:

@uxtvdl said:

@edfox said:

Dependent on temperature bits will expand or contract on the storage media.
    On cold storage they will contract obviously and therefore need less space.
    -> More free space.

EDIT2:

Thanked by 3uptime Letzien that_guy
  • uptimeuptime Member
    edited February 2019

see also Landauer's principle:

At 20 °C (room temperature, or 293.15 K), the Landauer limit represents an energy of approximately 0.0172 eV, or 2.75 zJ. Theoretically, room‑temperature computer memory operating at the Landauer limit could be changed at a rate of one billion bits per second with energy being converted to heat in the memory media at the rate of only 2.85 trillionths of a watt (that is, at a rate of only 2.85 pJ/s)

EDIT2:

beware the Bekenstein bound

In physics, the Bekenstein bound is an upper limit on the entropy S, or information I, that can be contained within a given finite region of space which has a finite amount of energy—or conversely, the maximum amount of information required to perfectly describe a given physical system down to the quantum level.[...]
    Upon exceeding the Bekenstein bound a storage medium would collapse into a black hole.

However

A cold degenerate star could conceivably be used as a giant data storage device, by carefully perturbing it to various excited states, in the same manner as an atom or quantum well used for these purposes. Such a star would have to be artificially constructed, as no natural degenerate stars will cool to this temperature for an extremely long time

Thanked by 3eol uxtvdl that_guy
  • @eol said:

@uxtvdl said:

@edfox said:

@uxtvdl said:

@edfox said:

Dependent on temperature bits will expand or contract on the storage media.
    On cold storage they will contract obviously and therefore need less space.
    -> More free space.

EDIT2:

I never figured out of anyone on this forum for @eol to be the scientist.

• @uxtvdl said:

"Hot" and "cold" are frequently used to denominate two kinds of data.
    Cold storage is data that is uploaded and then left there. It doesn't need to be always ready (since it's used for backups or archival) and we can afford losing a little bit of time to retrieve it. This means that (as an example) if i had a "cold storage" nat array I'd be able to suspend or turn off some modules. Cold storage costs to retrieve, and performance is usually low (because you'd use a raid configuration that maximizes failover over speed).

Hot storage is data uploaded and accessed frequently. It has always to be available at all times. Hot storage is more expensive but usually free to retrieve.

You usually decide the host to use depending whenever your data will be cold or hot (by signing to "Amazon Glacier" instead of "Buyvm slabs"), but instead 1fichier considers all recent uploads (up to 60 days) as "hot storage", and older files as "cold storage". Downloading a file makes it hot again.

1fichier is a file host, not a storage service. Their download pages have ads and that's why they don't want people signing up and filling their space and forgetting about their account, but people that will actually use the service and perhaps make them some money.

(should read the post again since there's a lot of mistakes, but forgive me i'm tired and not a native speaker anyway)

Thanked by 2Ympker that_guy
  • @anonym_user said:

@Ympker said:

@anonym_user said:

@Ympker said:

@anonym_user said:

I use lftp to get encryption working

lftp -c 'open -e "set ftps:initial-prot ""; set ftp:ssl-force true; set ftp:ssl-protect-data true; put '$j'; " -u '$USER','$PASSWD' ftp://'$HOST':21 '

Thanked by 4Ympker BBTN plumberg eol
  • @lemon said:

@anonym_user said:

@Ympker said:

@anonym_user said:

@Ympker said:

@anonym_user said:

lftp -c 'open -e "set ftps:initial-prot ""; set ftp:ssl-force true; set ftp:ssl-protect-data true; put '$j'; " -u '$USER','$PASSWD' ftp://'$HOST':21 '

Great for a server cronjob.
    But I don't have lftp on my Synology and I forgot the root password xD.

• @anonym_user said:

@lemon said:

@anonym_user said:

@Ympker said:

@anonym_user said:

@Ympker said:

@anonym_user said:

Great for a server cronjob.
    But I don't have lftp on my Synology and I forgot the root password xD.

Try "password" 😂

Thanked by 2that_guy eol
  • @Ympker said:

Try "password" 😂

We both have the same "password". How cool is that! Genious people tend think alike indeed.

Thanked by 3Ympker eol that_guy