Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

★ VirMach ★ Black Friday & Cyber Week 2018 ★ RAID 10 SSD ★ OpenVZ & KVM ★ Check inside for offers! - Page 482
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

★ VirMach ★ Black Friday & Cyber Week 2018 ★ RAID 10 SSD ★ OpenVZ & KVM ★ Check inside for offers!

Comments

• jmgcaguiclajmgcaguicla Member
    edited October 2021

@plumberg said:

@jmgcaguicla said:
    If anyone has VirBot 384/512MB promos they're planning on cancelling please PM me and I'd gladly take it off your hands for free (if you're feeling generous) or for a reasonable amount. :smile:

Preferably not located in San Jose or New York since I already have those, although might still take it if The Price is Right™ so feel free to reach out.

Need a few more nodes for my Totally Low-End May Go Down at Any Time™ DNS Cluster

Any idea if @VirMach plans to upgrade these to better systems or migrate these?

If you're referring to the VirBot specials, then probably not; and I do hope not because migration to better hardware would definitely mean an increase in pricing and I am currently happy with the performance these little boxes have.

Tell me where else you can get a 4USD/year machine with an IPv4 address?

• @jmgcaguicla said:

@plumberg said:

@jmgcaguicla said:
    If anyone has VirBot 384/512MB promos they're planning on cancelling please PM me and I'd gladly take it off your hands for free (if you're feeling generous) or for a reasonable amount. :smile:

Preferably not located in San Jose or New York since I already have those, although might still take it if The Price is Right™ so feel free to reach out.

Need a few more nodes for my Totally Low-End May Go Down at Any Time™ DNS Cluster

If you're referring to the VirBot specials, then probably not; and I do hope not because migration to better hardware would definitely mean an increase in pricing and I am currently happy with the performance these little boxes have.

True. These are a steal. Can't think of letting them go away

• $ 0.95 Buffalo VPS renewed.

• @JoeMerit said:
    Its an easy decision to not renew any previous years BF deals unless they get migrated to Ryzen and better datacenters by the renewal dates.

Depends on what you're paying for them.

• @jmgcaguicla said:

@plumberg said:

@jmgcaguicla said:

I don't have the crazy deals like you guys but have to agree that Virmach's small box is pretty good for small projects/self-hosting toys. Just like MRVM vps, without the hassle of NAT.

• skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

An image I took today. Pretty nice day

• @donli said:

@JoeMerit said:
    Its an easy decision to not renew any previous years BF deals unless they get migrated to Ryzen and better datacenters by the renewal dates.

$20 - $40, its just not worth it anymore. I have a 4 core vps that is beaten by a 1 core vps at another provider.

• bruh21bruh21 Member, Host Rep

@JoeMerit said:

@donli said:

@JoeMerit said:

$20 - $40, its just not worth it anymore. I have a 4 core vps that is beaten by a 1 core vps at another provider.

Yeah, 1 core from a clean ryzen/ E3v5/v6 /modern E-xxxx series node will outperform four from a packed virmach mode.

• @skorupion said: An image I took today. Pretty nice day

Where are you that they still run these steam engines on the line?

@JoeMerit said:

If your paying $20-$40 for old Intel probably not, but if you get migrated to Ryzen it would be a steal. I guess it just depends on if you feel lucky or not :)

There are many use cases for the cheap Intels like hot backup storage, jump boxes, vpn, dns servers, and low traffic inbound only mail servers where the VirMach VPS's have great bang for your buck. I for one hope that this low cost option will remain into the future.
    For database driven, or web servers that require big cpu power and/or fast disks there are no doubt better options than these old c/c Intel servers. One of the reasons that VirMach is working on offering Ryzen maybe to fill this hole in their offered services.

• @FrankZ said:

@skorupion said: An image I took today. Pretty nice day

Where are you that they still run these steam engines on the line?

@JoeMerit said:

If your paying $20-$40 for old Intel probably not, but if you get migrated to Ryzen it would be a steal. I guess it just depends on if you feel lucky or not :)

There are many use cases for the cheap Intels like hot backup storage, jump boxes, vpn, dns servers, and low traffic inbound only mail servers where the VirMach VPS's have great bang for your buck. I for one hope that this low cost option will remain into the future.
    For database driven, or web servers that require big cpu power and/or fast disks there are no doubt better options than these old c/c Intel servers. One of the reasons that VirMach is working on offering Ryzen maybe to fill this hole in their offered services.

Maybe the BF package won't even plan to upgrade to Ryzen

• @FrankZ said:

For databases and web servers it's time for NVMe.

• FrankZFrankZ Veteran
    edited October 2021

@donli said: For databases and web servers it's time for NVMe.

I agree, and it is really good that the Ryzen offers from VirMach come with NVMe. :)

@mcgree said: Maybe the BF package won't even plan to upgrade to Ryzen

I really don't know for sure, but I get the idea that it will depend on the location and number of old VPSs at that location.

@FrankZ said: Where are you that they still run these steam engines on the line?

Poland, Bystrzyca Kłodzka. Was more of a showcase, and some people are saying that this was the test to see if they will be put it into permanent service as a tourist train/attraction.

Thanked by 1FrankZ
  • @skorupion said:

@FrankZ said: Where are you that they still run these steam engines on the line?

Poland, Bystrzyca Kłodzka. Was more of a showcase, and some people are saying that this was the test to see if they will be put it into permanent service as a tourist train/attraction.

That makes sense as a tourist attraction. I really like old steam trains.
    I looked up your town's website it looks like a really nice place.
    Thank you for sharing :)

P.S. The train image you posted above does not show anymore.

@FrankZ said:

@skorupion said:

That makes sense as a tourist attraction. I really like old steam trains.
    I looked up your town's website it looks like a really nice place.
    Thank you for sharing :)

P.S. The train image you posted above does not show anymore.

shows for me but here is a reup:

Thanked by 3FrankZ skorous taizi
  • VirMachVirMach Member, Patron Provider

I'm trying not to spend too much time around here but I did skim through all your replies and will make some kind of reply later hopefully.

I did want to come here and let you guys know that I'm working on bringing Seattle up, several weeks later than planned, but I'm finally setting them up today. We're just waiting for IPMI information from datacenter hands at this point. Otherwise I've set aside enough time to bring it up as long as the datacenter gets back to us by the end of the day.

• Is it black friday already?

• Wake me up when black friday ends.

Yes.

When it ends.

Thanked by 2FrankZ randomq
  • Unless Virmach has some $30/year dedis somewhere in US...

• And London. We like London. (And dream of Cape Town joining the list one day. hehe)

• brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate

@VirMach said: that I'm working on bringing Seattle up

Good luck, hope everything goes well! Can we already request IPv6 to be enabled on VPSes which have been migrated or will that come a later stage?

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • MF @skorupion posted 16MB picture (PNG, wtf?!) of a train with wrong number (!!1111) and then says "loads for me".

• VirMachVirMach Member, Patron Provider

@brueggus said: Good luck, hope everything goes well! Can we already request IPv6 to be enabled on VPSes which have been migrated or will that come a later stage?

Some issues here we need to work out first but once we add it we'll most likely automatically enable it/add it.

Thanked by 2brueggus skorous

@JabJab said:
    MF @skorupion posted 16MB picture (PNG, wtf?!) of a train with wrong number (!!1111) and then says "loads for me".

I call this move a tactical pre post so I don't forget about this pic.

• Edam cheese is getting expensive.

@imok said:
    Edam cheese is getting expensive.

what isn't getting expensive except scam crypto coins

Thanked by 2FrankZ imok
  • Friday finally!

• Friday was two day ago for me.

• ripeappleripeapple Member
    edited November 2021

imageIQcfMD.png" alt="" title="" />
    @VirMach sir, I wanna report two problems with node PHXZ002. 1, after reinstalling Debian 9 or Centos8,the main IP cannot be pinged and should be mannually reconfigured by your colleague QI G. 2, the outbound network from the server seems to be dead most of the time. Any script that requires to download from source websites is stuck in the beginning and then connection timeout, as it is displayed in screenshot. The same script runs with no problem in San Jose nodes.
    I didn't open any ticket in virmach.com.