Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

★ VirMach ★ Black Friday & Cyber Week 2018 ★ RAID 10 SSD ★ OpenVZ & KVM ★ Check inside for offers! - Page 484
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

★ VirMach ★ Black Friday & Cyber Week 2018 ★ RAID 10 SSD ★ OpenVZ & KVM ★ Check inside for offers!

Comments

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited November 2021

@VirMach said: You can activate it immediately, or wait longer to receive additional discounts.

This sounds like it would get rid of the complaints from people that expect instant activation all the time, while allowing the patient people to get bigger discounts. I love it.

@VirMach Could you please consider offering "large" VPSes during your Black Friday sales (eg. 16GB or 32GB RAM?)

• brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate

@jmgcaguicla said:

@donli said:
    How's that SLA working out for Hostsolutions customers?

Can't find anywhere saying HS has a commitment to a certain SLA.

They sent an email last year on Christmas:

Ho Ho Ho !Merry Christmas !

Hello dear customers, 

Through this email, we want to wish you happy holidays, lots of achievements in the future and to thank you for being a part of the hostsolutions family, even though it was a rough year for us with ups and downs.
          We recommend during this period to spend as much time as possible with your loved ones.

We would also like to take the opportunity to tell you how we will be improving our services.
          We accept that we had problems and here are the changes you can expect in 2021:

1) From 2021, we guarantee an uptime of 99.97% (for each hour downtime, we will credit 1 day in your billing).
    2) We will start our new server line where you will get much powerful CPUs and newer generation hardware like ryzen, E5-2680V4, etc.
    3) We will offer a storage plan with 10gbps port speed at never before seen prices.
    4) We will provide 30-minute ticket response time guarantee during business hours (8:00 am to 18:00 pm EET Mon to Fri) and 2 hours guarantee during non-business hours.
    5) We plan to expand rapidly to many new locations in 2021 to give our customers the geographical benefits of each location.
    6) We will also provide colocation options at attractive prices.
    7) We plan to disrupt and revolutionize the market in terms of bandwidth with our special offer 10g port speed dedicated servers
    8) We will also be offering BGP to our dedicated server customers
    9) Our programmers have been working hard to create a new auction system for dedicated servers and VPS( more details on this when we are in the pre-launch stage)
    10)IPV6 implementation will be done for all our clients.
    11)Also, to maintain our commitment to quality, we will no longer offer double credit or 50% promotions except this last one from 24/12/2020 to 28/12/2020 as a Christmas gift to our family
    11) To have good quality (is cost money) we have decided not to offer any more "upload credit" promotion

Here are the terms of our Christmas Credit Promotion.

We are offering 50% credit bonus as a gift only for the first credit balance you add: https://secure.hostsolutions.ro/clientarea.php?action=addfunds
    (please do not add multiple times; you will be eligible for the first credit transaction only)

• I think LET database is somehow corrupted since I was looking for even more crazy offers from VirBot but all I get are boring messages from involucrated HS thread

• @atomi said:
    I think LET database is somehow corrupted since I was looking for even more crazy offers from VirBot but all I get are boring messages from involucrated HS thread

You're a few months late and a month early for VirBot

• @brueggus said:

@jmgcaguicla said:

@donli said:
    How's that SLA working out for Hostsolutions customers?

Can't find anywhere saying HS has a commitment to a certain SLA.

They sent an email last year on Christmas:

Ho Ho Ho !Merry Christmas !

Hello dear customers, 

Through this email, we want to wish you happy holidays, lots of achievements in the future and to thank you for being a part of the hostsolutions family, even though it was a rough year for us with ups and downs.
          We recommend during this period to spend as much time as possible with your loved ones.

We would also like to take the opportunity to tell you how we will be improving our services.
          We accept that we had problems and here are the changes you can expect in 2021:

1) From 2021, we guarantee an uptime of 99.97% (for each hour downtime, we will credit 1 day in your billing).
    2) We will start our new server line where you will get much powerful CPUs and newer generation hardware like ryzen, E5-2680V4, etc.
    3) We will offer a storage plan with 10gbps port speed at never before seen prices.
    4) We will provide 30-minute ticket response time guarantee during business hours (8:00 am to 18:00 pm EET Mon to Fri) and 2 hours guarantee during non-business hours.
    5) We plan to expand rapidly to many new locations in 2021 to give our customers the geographical benefits of each location.
    6) We will also provide colocation options at attractive prices.
    7) We plan to disrupt and revolutionize the market in terms of bandwidth with our special offer 10g port speed dedicated servers
    8) We will also be offering BGP to our dedicated server customers
    9) Our programmers have been working hard to create a new auction system for dedicated servers and VPS( more details on this when we are in the pre-launch stage)
    10)IPV6 implementation will be done for all our clients.
    11)Also, to maintain our commitment to quality, we will no longer offer double credit or 50% promotions except this last one from 24/12/2020 to 28/12/2020 as a Christmas gift to our family
    11) To have good quality (is cost money) we have decided not to offer any more "upload credit" promotion

Here are the terms of our Christmas Credit Promotion.

We are offering 50% credit bonus as a gift only for the first credit balance you add: https://secure.hostsolutions.ro/clientarea.php?action=addfunds
    (please do not add multiple times; you will be eligible for the first credit transaction only)

He posted that on LET. It was a good laugh, but more red flags shit was going sideways.

• FrankZFrankZ Veteran
    edited November 2021

Only 15 days until Black Friday :)

• @FrankZ said:
    Only 15 days until Black Friday :)

15 days is too long to wait.

• donlidonli Member
    edited November 2021

Thanked by 2imok skorupion
  • donlidonli Member
    edited November 2021

@brueggus said:

(long list of cociu plans deleted)

All that derailed by 1 disk failure.

• Is it Black Friday already?

• @imok said:
    Is it Black Friday already?

14 days.

• VirMachVirMach Member, Patron Provider

@FAT32 said: I don't mind waiting 32 months for 32X discount, if that's an option.

@JabJab said: I will deploy things later' (sure, yeah, good joke) then the part 'we don't have enough servers, will give refund' is kinda a deal breaker, I want it deployed or having the refund bigger than I paid so I can buy something similar ASAP.

@jar said: You just figured out how to sell people the nothing they intend to do with what they buy every Black Friday anyway, and further incentivize them not using it, all while reducing the hardware needed to satisfy the sales during a time where bulk hardware is just a bit harder to get ahold of.
    Genius.

@TimboJones said: Virmach can add a check box during checkout "automatically idle".

@mcgree said: I don't mind waiting 64 months.
    uintil I forgot it existed/actived....

@donli said: Hold out for the 100 months for 100% discount.

@Paradox0s said: So it's not vps business now , it's financial game instead.

@elliotc said: A bit dangerous to be honest. Even it start with the good purpose, finance is not something you familiar with. It can lever you to the sky and then fall the hard way.

@TimboJones said: Feels like a cociu marketing move.

I had a few good laughs reading some of these, but all jokes aside, this was actually something I thoroughly covered on the original version of my post (that never got posted) because I understood how it could potentially sound very "I'd gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today."

1. I know we're behind by about 8 months on the Ryzen preorders, but I'd be very surprised if we don't get a lot of these going before Black Friday. Of course, if we don't deliver everything we owe thus far, we won't even bother posting a sale.
    2. All the equipment is already in existence for plans throughout end of the year and that includes some extras set aside for Black Friday specials, we're just mostly short on IPv4. We're not "overselling" space we don't have or don't intend to have ASAP.
    3. We don't need any additional revenue. Black Friday ends up being under 5% impact for us. This is just a way to try to get Ryzen to you guys faster and actually have something cool for you guys sooner. We're very close so the compromise may be worth it.
    4. We also aren't doing this for traditional reasons that a company may usually have for posting a sale which is expanding/filling additional space at smaller profit margins, or filling existing space to reduce wasted space and revenue. We are in a unique position where we can essentially adapt to any size.
    5. While the prices will be great, they're sustainable. The sooner we fill the extra hardware we have the better, but if it fills later then that takes strain off support and any potential availability impact in specific date pockets for future migrations. Anything we get will just be pumped back in to ensure there's zero chance it negatively impacts future migrations.

@Daniel15 said: @VirMach Could you please consider offering "large" VPSes during your Black Friday sales (eg. 16GB or 32GB RAM?)

It's very difficult to make those work. If someone is willing to pay a higher amount than the lower end, they seem to have some real use for it so the idle rate is lower and it's also more difficult to fit those on the right servers in the first place. Plus, even if they don't use it, we have to be more careful with them because they may end up using it in huge bursts at any time so essentially it's 100% dedicated to them at that point. That's why our SSD16G and SSD32G packages come with dedicated cores by default.

All in all, it means it would end up being quite expensive and not worth even advertising it, but if you are ever interested in such a package, we can do it for you or anyone interested on Black Friday, just let me know here.

32GB RAM / 1 IPv4 / 8 Dedicated Cores / 500GB-1000GB NVMe / 10TB Bandwidth

$620/YR (+$360/YR for Tokyo)

@donli said:

@imok said:
    Is it Black Friday already?

14 days.

And on that note, back to work for me.

• Time is going slow.

• @VirMach said: if we don't deliver everything we owe thus far, we won't even bother posting a sale.

Black Friday without VirMach

Thanked by 1pepa65
  • @imok said:
    Time is going slow.

12 days.

• That's like a half month

• @imok said:
    That's like a half month

It's less than 2 weeks.

• 11 days

• @donli said:

@imok said:
    That's like a half month

It's less than 2 weeks.

That's like a half month

• @imok said:

@donli said:

@imok said:
    That's like a half month

It's less than 2 weeks.

That's like a half month

Go to sleep we'll wake you Black Friday.

• @cybertech said:
    business idea: selling insurance to cover downtime

You can talk to insurance company. They can make a plan for you.> @FrankZ said:

@VirMach said: if we don't deliver everything we owe thus far, we won't even bother posting a sale.

Black Friday without VirMach

Why the sad face, we save lots of money. :)

• Why 502 Bad Gateway nginx on vps management panel in @VirMach client area?

• @ariq01 said: Why 502 Bad Gateway nginx on vps management panel in @VirMach client area?

Seems to be fixed now :)

• VirMachVirMach Member, Patron Provider

Looks like we got our first abuser on Ryzen, he's been a client for a while so perhaps it's compromised or something broke. Anyway, I just wanted to share with you guys the level of abuse and the impact it had on the server as it may be interesting to some.

Average 350MB/s reads over multiple days, peak 1.1GB/s. Approximately 100KB per request.

This caused average CPU usage to go up from about 40% to as high as 57% in spikes, with load going from a more stable 10~ to spikes as high as 17~

This was on the 4TB NVMe that can do 3,200MB/s peak reads (real world it's lower due to how the controller/cache work and of course many other variables) and it looks like it was appropriately at around 25% utilization. For comparison, something like this on our Intel/SATA nodes would have pretty much overloaded the server in this situation, but it didn't even set off alarms here.

We do have some network issues here still, I'm trying to see if INAP can get it sorted out. The DC did fix some routing issue though, so it should be improved (versus the reports we got where certain routes were broken.)

@FrankZ said:

@ariq01 said: Why 502 Bad Gateway nginx on vps management panel in @VirMach client area?

Seems to be fixed now :)

Yep, that was me. Both the breaking and fixing, it was a heavy operation that caused it.

• I see no angry e-mail/ticket, so it wasn't me. I only abuse CPU I guess :P

• Is a disk array failing or something? That way we can reach to page 600 at least before BF.

Thanked by 2FrankZ mrTom
  • @imok said:
    Is a disk array failing or something? That way we can reach to page 600 at least before BF.

A riser card, perhaps?

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • Only one week to go.

• @Xrmaddness said:

@imok said:
    Is a disk array failing or something? That way we can reach to page 600 at least before BF.

A riser card, perhaps?

Whats a riser card?