Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH Double Server Bandwidth - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH Double Server Bandwidth

Comments

• sunnyg said: once OVH's network gets infested by streamers and seedboxes.

You mean it isn't already that?

• @willie said:

sunnyg said: once OVH's network gets infested by streamers and seedboxes.

You mean it isn't already that?

No clue who'd run a seedbox on 250mbit/500mbit servers, when you can get full duplex 1Gbit servers from Hetzner/Leaseweb/Online.net at similar prices. Not to mention OVH's ID and proof of address verification, that would deter most seedbox users. I know Hetzner does it too, but you can get a server with twice the specs at half the price from their auctions with a 14 day refund policy, and Hetzner deletes your documents right after verification (or at least claims to), whereas OVH claim to keep it on their systems for as long as you have an account.

• user54321user54321 Member
    edited October 2018

@sunnyg said:
    No clue who'd run a seedbox on 250mbit/500mbit servers, when you can get full duplex 1Gbit servers from Hetzner/Leaseweb/Online.net at similar prices. Not to mention OVH's ID and proof of address verification

Actually none of those 4 companys ever checked for ID or proof of address of me. Maybe I'm trustworthy out of the box? XD
    myloc was the only company in the low budget sector which checked my address.

• I bought a OVH US server today and it came with 1 Gbit up/down even though the control panel shows 500/500.

• Anyone has had their OVH/SYS server upgraded yet?

@Mjolnir0 said:
    I bought a OVH US server today and it came with 1 Gbit up/down even though the control panel shows 500/500.

That is likely burst. Mine says 500mbit/s outgoing bandwidth but it is still capable to go 1G speed because of burst.

• CConnerCConner Member, Host Rep

@sgheghele said:
    Anyone has had their OVH/SYS server upgraded yet?

@Mjolnir0 said:
    I bought a OVH US server today and it came with 1 Gbit up/down even though the control panel shows 500/500.

That is likely burst. Mine says 500mbit/s outgoing bandwidth but it is still capable to go 1G speed because of burst.

They probably knee jerked because of Hetzner, and later realized that it will cost them more money.

Thanked by 1eol
  • Its burst only , i have 6 with ovh and 4 on SyS . its 4 month ( i guess) but none on them is upgraded.

@CConner said:

@sgheghele said:
    Anyone has had their OVH/SYS server upgraded yet?

@Mjolnir0 said:

They probably knee jerked because of Hetzner, and later realized that it will cost them more money.

• dedicatserver_rodedicatserver_ro Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2018

Simple math : 350k servers with 500Mbps guaranteed bandwidth= 175Tbps total external bandwidth .......
    In Europe they have 3,8Tbps total bandwidth ...in US they have 1,16Tbps total bandwidth....I miss about 170Tbps ;)......we certainly find them in the marketing

• vovlervovler Member
    edited December 2018

dedicatserver_ro said: Simple math : 350k servers with 500Mbps guaranteed bandwidth

Where did get that 350k number? And that all those servers come with 500mbps and not 100?

• Well, at least it's double advertised server bandwidth.

• @dedicatserver_ro said:
    Simple math : 350k servers with 500Mbps guaranteed bandwidth= 175Tbps total external bandwidth .......
    In Europe they have 3,8Tbps total bandwidth ...in US they have 1,16Tbps total bandwidth....I miss about 170Tbps ;)......we certainly find them in the marketing

I work for the largest CDN on the planet and we don't have 350k servers so I doubt OVH does.

edited December 2018

follow logic, it does not matter if there are 350k or 160k and it also does not matter if all servers have 500mbps or only the half the simple math tell you that it is not possible

160K servers - only the half with 500Mbps = 40Tbps...still missing 35Tbps ( i dont calculate the other half of the servers with 250/100Mbps )
    We talk about "guaranteed bandwidth" !!!

edited December 2018

http://www.ovh.com/ca/en/support/ter...ted_server.pdf

SECTION 7.7: If the Customer’s infrastructure generates a total bandwidth of more than 101Mbps, OVH shall use its best efforts to maintain the Customer’s service

SECTION 8: BANDWIDTH

Bandwidth: computer data rate in bits per second, and determining the exchange capacity between the server and
    the OVH network.

OVH guarantees bandwidth up to the rate shown on the OVH site for the concerned range of server.
    The bandwidth is no longer guaranteed when the server or servers are used for the following activities:

• Anonymization service (proxy), CDN service;
    • Storage Platform or file exchange (including but not limited to cyberlocker);
    • Downloading platform;
    • Service bypassing limitations imposed by downloading platforms (downloaders);
    • Platform for watching online videos;
    • Server(s) used for downloading and sending files on peer to peer
    seedbox).

In addition, OVH cannot guarantee the bandwidth when the server activity requires an intensive bandwidth use. In this case, OVH will contact the client to explore his consumption in detail

edited December 2018

Let's translate

• if the server consumes up to 101Mbps, OVH guarantees 500Mbps :smiley: the perfect logic

this is not another interpretation of the usual: "unlimited - 1Gbps port ,guaranteed bandwidth 100Mbps" ???

• So basically 1gbps burstable, but actually 100Mbps usable.

follow logic, it does not matter if there are 350k or 160k and it also does not matter if all servers have 500mbps or only the half the simple math tell you that it is not possible

160K servers - only the half with 500Mbps = 40Tbps...still missing 35Tbps ( i dont calculate the other half of the servers with 250/100Mbps )

Your math is not wrong but your logic is stupid, because that's not how business works.

So as you said OVH have 3.8 Tbps bandwidth in Europe, but if their costumers do not use more than 75% of the bandwidth they have, there's no reason for them to upgrade. Having 175 Tbps while the customers are only using less than 3.8 Tbps is just stupid, they would've wasted a lot of money to pay unnecessary bills. They would save the money and use it when they need to upgrade or use it to expand their business.

And that's also how many companies can offer something unlimited, like Google Drive and Dropbox offer unlimited storage, they don't have unlimited storage but they will upgrade it once their costumers usage is close to the limit line they have set.

Thanked by 1vovler
    edited December 2018

Doutei said: Your math is not wrong but your logic is stupid, because that's not how business works.

:smile: read my signature

Stupid example : you have now one server with 250Mbps bandwidth , but according to TOS you can use only 101Mbps - so I fool you once
    Now I'm bothering you the second time and I give you 500Mbps, and according to TOS you can use the same, only 101Mbps.

But you are a happy customer :wink:

If this is your logic, move the OVH servers to me and I give you 10Gbps but according to TOS 1Mbps :smiley:

@t0ny0 said:
    So basically 1gbps burstable, but actually 100Mbps usable.

Right, like all providern to.

• How many people need 10gbps actually? i am thinking what are they doing with the server bandwidth :neutral:

• So it's news now that everything on the planet is oversubscribed? No ISP on the planet would be able to handle every single customer using every single bit of their contracted bandwidth at the same time, why would OVH or anyone else be any different? It's obvious they're not scaling for that, nobody does.

Thanked by 1sgheghele

Sure.

Thanked by 2tcp6 danninov
  • trungkientrungkien Member
    edited December 2018

dedicatserver_ro said: http://www.ovh.com/ca/en/support/ter...ted_server.pdf

SECTION 7.7: If the Customer’s infrastructure generates a total bandwidth of more than 101Mbps, OVH shall use its best efforts to maintain the Customer’s service

SECTION 7.7 has changed.
    http://www.ovh.com/ca/en/support/termsofservice/Special_conditions_for_dedicated_server.pdf
    I don't see 101 Mbps in the TOS, and this tos has been updated since 2014.
    Where did you get this information?

• For me, Outgoing Bandwidth for Canada & Poland is 500 Mbps still!

• According to their TOS, They are only offering 101Mbps just burstable are different in many cases

• @ninzo59 regarding this "Double Server Bandwidth" my last host 32h already come with 500 mbit and not 250 mbit when will the mHG-2019 have the increase from 1 gbit to 2 gbits?

• @estimadarocha said:
    @ninzo59 regarding this "Double Server Bandwidth" my last host 32h already come with 500 mbit and not 250 mbit

It is nice to know that someone got their bandwidth doubled. Did it come that way when purchased or was it upgraded afterwards? Does this show up in the control panel?

• @ninzo59 I'm curious what would be done with users who have paid for Premium Bandwidth upfront (months to a year) ? Will they be refunded?

• ninzo59ninzo59 Member, Host Rep

@sunnyg said:
    @ninzo59 I'm curious what would be done with users who have paid for Premium Bandwidth upfront (months to a year) ? Will they be refunded?

I have no official answer for this question. Will let you know asap (in january ;) )

• @ninzo59 any answers for my question?