Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hetzner Dedicated Servers now with real unlimited traffic - Page 6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hetzner Dedicated Servers now with real unlimited traffic

Comments

• xrzxrz Member

@graphic said:

@xrz said:

Dedicated Root Server
    does it comes with unlimited 1Gbit bw? so i can use like 300TB per month or so ?

Dear ****

Thank you for your request and interest in our products.

Yes, it has unlimited traffic.

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind regards

Arno Pirner

Head of Product Advice / Sales

Hetzner Online GmbH
    Sigmundstrasse 135
    90431 Nürnberg
    Tel: +49 911 234 226-927
    Fax: +49 9831 505-3
    [email protected]
    www.hetzner.com

Register Court: Registergericht Ansbach, HRB 6089
    CEO: Martin Hetzner

How about testing it?

testing what :D i am already doing it on 10 servers, just for 8 days per one server its 20TB daily :D so yeah lets see on the end of the month :D

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    edited October 2018

torrbox said: This thread is nothing but a whiny circle jerk of providers and angry customers who pay more elsewhere. Hurr durr I'm clouvider and sell shit for the price of gold and hate everyone who offers better value than me. Alright buddy take your pills.

Your lack of knowledge, jealousy and overconfidence, at the same time, are cute ;-).

330TB is not the only limit you can put on a Gigabit (or any other) link, while still keeping it unmetered.

You're a lost cause mate, no point in sharing any knowledge with you.

Thanked by 1steny
  • @Clouvider said:

torrbox said: This thread is nothing but a whiny circle jerk of providers and angry customers who pay more elsewhere. Hurr durr I'm clouvider and sell shit for the price of gold and hate everyone who offers better value than me. Alright buddy take your pills.

Your lack of knowledge, jealousy and overconfidence, at the same time, are cute ;-).

Welcome to LowEndPlayground.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • Having spent $$,$$$ with OVH over the past few (about 5 or 6) years, I bought my first Hetzner server last week, and one week later they decide to bring in the circus?

Whatever it is, if it shakes up competition then I'm all for it.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

torrbox said: whiny circle jerk of providers and angry customers who pay more elsewhere. Hurr durr I'm clouvider and sell shit for the price of gold and hate everyone who offers better value than me. Alright buddy take your pills.

*Slowly claps* :D

Thanked by 1torrbox
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

Someone does certainly seem to have some hardon for certain someone.

• @deank said:
    Someone does certainly seem to have some hardon for certain someone.

Maybe he just hates clouds...

Thanked by 1willie
  • @gol3m said: Upload: 134.12 Mbit/s

It looks alright to me overseas. Vultr is fast, too, comcast only 60, just your typical overseas connection.

134.12Mb is much better than I've ever gotten cross-atlantic from Hetzner, but still not that great compared to 1gbit. I'll try with Vultr at the receiving end though. It could also be that something is wrong with the routing from my Hetzner box, though I don't remember noticing better speed from Hetzner Cloud.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

The bandwidth of dedicated servers: we do x2, without price increase :) Existing and new client. If you have 500Mbps, you have 1Gbps! Have fun :) #OVH

Thanked by 2willie Falzo
  • @Neoon said:
    The bandwidth of dedicated servers: we do x2, without price increase :) Existing and new client. If you have 500Mbps, you have 1Gbps! Have fun :) #OVH

Big if true

• @Neoon said:

that's going to be interesting. didn't they use some kind of hardware restriction in switches f.i. for the 250Mbit servers (of SYS and the limited special) ... will check.

• xrzxrz Member

@Neoon said:

ooookay, the hell this will be hella of movin xD be prepared OVH :D

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited October 2018

Falzo said: didn't they use some kind of hardware restriction in switches f.i. for the 250Mbit servers (of SYS and the limited special)

There is no hardware way to restrict at 250 Mbit, unless you mean ratelimiting on the switch. But that's arguably closer to software, and likely to support at least 500 Mbit just as easily. Yes it may not support arbitrary numbers such as 320, 550 or 780, but in steps of 100 or 250, should do.

Hardware capping can be done only at steps of 10/100/1000 Mbit and 10 Gbit (and on newest standards 2.5 and 5) -- by putting the Ethernet link into the corresponding mode. There is no 250 Mbit mode to use here.

Thanked by 2torrbox Falzo
  • @rm_ said:

Falzo said: didn't they use some kind of hardware restriction in switches f.i. for the 250Mbit servers (of SYS and the limited special)

There is no hardware way to restrict at 250 Mbit, unless you mean ratelimiting on the switch. But that's arguably closer to software, and likely to support at least 500 Mbit just as easily. Yes it may not support arbitrary numbers such as 320, 550 or 780, but in steps of 100 or 250, should do.

Hardware capping can be done only at steps of 10/100/1000 Mbit and 10 Gbit (and on newest standards 2.5 and 5) -- by putting the Ethernet link into the corresponding mode. There is no 250 Mbit mode to use here.

I am not so knowledgable about those things tbh, just remembered the discussion about the speeds of the limited dedis which were restricted to 250Mbit even internally and the reason was some limitation per switch as they do with SYS.

if they change that however, it would obviously be very welcome.

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@Falzo said:

I am not so knowledgable about those things tbh, just remembered the discussion about the speeds of the limited dedis which were restricted to 250Mbit even internally and the reason was some limitation per switch as they do with SYS.

if they change that however, it would obviously be very welcome.

It has to be a simple software rate limit on the switches because SYS boxes support 1Gbps down, just are capped at 250Mbps up. Either way, looking forward to the 500Mbps upgrade on the DE promo box :smiley:

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@rm_ said:

Depends on their hardware. If they use decent OpenFlow network equipment they can do quite amazing things. Capping, downgrading or slowing traffic for example wouldn't be a problem. My guess though is that most larger providers (with OFN equippment) use tagging. The switch knows what kind of product is on a given port and it knows the traffic rate of the device. One typical example would be to tag traffic from cheaper servers and/or from servers generating too much traffic so as to be routed through cheap backend providers while normal traffic goes through better backends.

• xrzxrz Member

I noticed some drop in outgoing traffic on few of my servers, was doing about 11TB daily, now only about 5TB, thats a half of it :D hmm not good not good :D

• Anyone noticed any major drop in traffic speeds during peak hours (08:00 - 14:00 GMT1+)? I've got a feeling that they may use heavy QoS as I've noticed some major drops in the speed of SFTP transfers and downloads of files from the server during certain times of the day, but when I do a test using speedtest the result seems somewhat normal.

• @Prime404 said:
    Anyone noticed any major drop in traffic speeds during peak hours (08:00 - 14:00 GMT1+)? I've got a feeling that they may use heavy QoS as I've noticed some major drops in the speed of SFTP transfers and downloads of files from the server during certain times of the day, but when I do a test using speedtest the result seems somewhat normal.

Define "major drops"? My 50 mbps connection has not had any issues with my 20€ server. "8am-2pm" is probably not "peak hours".

According to Hetzner support, the gigabit connection is truly unmetered. No shaping, no worse peering on cheaper servers, no deprioritization of heavy bandwidth users.

@gol3m said:

@Prime404 said:
    Anyone noticed any major drop in traffic speeds during peak hours (08:00 - 14:00 GMT1+)? I've got a feeling that they may use heavy QoS as I've noticed some major drops in the speed of SFTP transfers and downloads of files from the server during certain times of the day, but when I do a test using speedtest the result seems somewhat normal.

Define "major drops"? My 50 mbps connection has not had any issues with my 20€ server. "8am-2pm" is probably not "peak hours".

According to Hetzner support, the gigabit connection is truly unmetered. No shaping, no worse peering on cheaper servers, no deprioritization of heavy bandwidth users.

Do you know what QoS does at all ?

• @Clouvider said:

My eyes rolled into space.

Thanked by 2Yura dahartigan
  • @gol3m said:

The issues that I face in general is that the transfer speeds from the server seems to slow down for certain services during times that I would assume have lots of traffic.

Last friday for an example I was downloading a bunch of content on a 250mbit/s connection and the speeds was barely 2-3mb/s over SFTP, while it usually tend to be much faster than that. I also tried to download a bunch of content to the actual server and in total I got only around 8-9mb/s network throughput to the machine..

I'll keep monitoring this over the next few weeks with some tests daily to see if this keep on occurring.

@Clouvider said:

I stand corrected, what I mean is traffic shaping of certain types of traffic during peak hours.

@Prime404 I know what you mean, and that’s likely what’s happening, because it can’t be any different. My message was questioning the person who replied to you, clearly without understanding what QoS really does ;-).

edited October 2018

@torrbox said:

@Clouvider said:

My eyes rolled into space.

You should see an optician for that.

Thanked by 1classy
  • That's something that I didn't expect them to be doing anytime soon.

• Truly dedicated and unmetered. Confirmed!
    Have 100 boxes with them :)

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • I wonder why Clouvider is so active in this thread.

Thanked by 1Issam2204
    edited October 2018

@SolidxGaming said:
    I wonder why Clouvider is so active in this thread.

I am active in many threads of interest to me, if you don't like it, you don't have to read my posts.

We don't compete with Hetzner. I wish Hetzner well and hope this was a good move for them. I had a Hetzner box, erm almost a decade ago (gosh they've been around for some time!) and was happy with their services (&prices!) for my personal use case at that time. I have my healthy dose of professional scepticism about this change, given what I know about the market, so I'm very much interested to see how their Customers accept such a change, and it's consequences, over time, it's all there is to that.

Thanked by 1SolidxGaming
  • @Harud said:
    Truly dedicated and unmetered. Confirmed!
    Have 100 boxes with them :)

Guess Hetzner statisticians know their stuff.

Keep updating us after 30, 60,90 days.

• xrzxrz Member
    edited October 2018

I feel little throttled :D :D

before i pushed OUT 9-10TB daily, now only HALF of it hmmm

the daily in & out is being lower and lower each day wtf, nothing changed on server same conf and all