Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cloudflare just launched the world's first no-markup domain registrar, - Page 7
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cloudflare just launched the world's first no-markup domain registrar,

123457»

Comments

• @Adam1 said:

SteveMC said: I wonder if other companies will follow.

like google and amazon? 🤔

Yes, for example, big enough companies that can afford not to make a profit on a product like domain name and compensate by selling additional services / products. (this can also be to get ride of concurrents)

• Btw, is dreamhost good as a domain registrar? I see they have the cheapest registration and renewal for .me domains.

• @MikePT said:
    Just transferred my main domain. Well. Not worth tbh. Their interface is really in beta. The only thing you can do is to enable / disable auto renew. You cannot modify dns, renew in advance, edit whois, unlock, get epp, get whois protection and so on. Nothing. Disappointed to say the least. Thought they would have a few more options at least the basic.

So, basically, it's not that different than their other services.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • @MikePT said:
    Just transferred my main domain. Well. Not worth tbh. Their interface is really in beta. The only thing you can do is to enable / disable auto renew. You cannot modify dns, renew in advance, edit whois, unlock, get epp, get whois protection and so on. Nothing. Disappointed to say the least. Thought they would have a few more options at least the basic.

I don't think they're focusing on letting people use other DNS servers but on those who use Cloudflare thus they do allow you to change the DNS records like they do with any other domain you setup with them

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • Just transferred a domain, its extremely barebones as @MikePT . No option to even transfer domain out among other things lol. Only enable/disable auto-renew.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@OPNodes said:
    Just transferred a domain, its extremely barebones as @MikePT . No option to even transfer domain out among other things lol. Only enable/disable auto-renew.

Sort of useless. Cant even renew in advance.

@luissousa said:

@MikePT said:

I don't think they're focusing on letting people use other DNS servers but on those who use Cloudflare thus they do allow you to change the DNS records like they do with any other domain you setup with them

They cant lock a customer in their service. DNS should be modified any time I want to.

• No option to even transfer domain out among other things lol

May be it's the trick. Once a domain name is transfered , you can never transfert it elsewhere?

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@SteveMC said:

No option to even transfer domain out among other things lol

May be it's the trick. Once a domain name is transfered , you can never transfert it elsewhere?

Ye. I expect them to do something about it of course.

• @SteveMC said:

Pretty sure that's against ICANN policy.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • @OPNodes said:

@SteveMC said:

Pretty sure that's against ICANN policy.

"It's a known issue, and we're working on it."

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • There goes the decentralisation of the internet. Surely nothing will go wrong, right?

Thanked by 1Letzien
  • eva2000eva2000 Veteran
    edited November 2018

OPNodes said: No option to even transfer domain out among other things lol. Only enable/disable auto-renew.

Option to transfer out shows up ~60 days after transfer in (transfer policy). I've suggested to Cloudflare Registrar folks to update their site info to mention that.

• So any reason not to use CloudFlare as registrar? Anything fishy, or hidden?

• @SteveMC said:
    So any reason not to use CloudFlare as registrar? Anything fishy, or hidden?

Well, they're CloudFlare, so, most likely.

Thanked by 2SteveMC eol
  • Letzien said: Well, they're CloudFlare, so, most likely.

"most likely" there is something fishy, or "most likely" there is no reason to worry? (sorry for my limited English with subtle sentences)

• @SteveMC said:

Letzien said: Well, they're CloudFlare, so, most likely.

"most likely" there is something fishy, or "most likely" there is no reason to worry? (sorry for my limited English with subtle sentences)

The former. Their CEO nuked someone because he disliked them. That's just not business, that's personal. That said, I probably would have nuked them, myself.

Thanked by 1SteveMC
  • @Letzien said:

@SteveMC said:

The former. Their CEO nuked someone because he disliked them. That's just not business, that's personal. That said, I probably would have nuked them, myself.

Are you talking about CEO shutting down a neo-nazi website? I don't blame him.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited January 2019

@Anonymous said:

@Letzien said:

@SteveMC said:

Are you talking about CEO shutting down a neo-nazi website? I don't blame him.

Their investors do though since it's been used against them in court, and will continue to be for every copyright claim from here on out.

Francisco

Thanked by 1marrco
  • So looked into this and if they didn't force you to use their dns servers and cdn even if it's free then I'd move all my domains over. With that said their free dns and cdn is one of the best in the industry.

• Moved a little used personal domain in to test for a year.

I've been using Cloudflare as DNS-only for a year now for all my domains.