Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cloudflare just launched the world's first no-markup domain registrar, - Page 6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cloudflare just launched the world's first no-markup domain registrar,

Comments

• @adroitssd said:

@xaoc said:

@adroitssd said:
    cool news for end users, but may cause of a headache for providers.

Why?

Thousands of host and domain provider even registry make them as CDN partner, But the CDN partner is going to introduce the same category product at the lowest price, so provider will think twice is it mutual benefit or one party benefit.

Does cloudflare know it has these partners?

Thanked by 1classy
  • If I remember correctly, a domain can not be transfered 60 days after a transfer/registration. Black Friday is less than 30 days away; I not feel like transferring... yet.

• @Janevski said:
    Porkbun:

.com 8.84 USD/year (register/transfer/renew + privacy)

.net 9.78 USD/year (register/transfer/renew + privacy)

.info 11.98 USD/year (renew + privacy)

.org 10.72 USD/year (register/transfer/renew + privacy)

I've got 31 domains with Porkbun. Pretty happy with them so far! I transferred a lot of my domains from Name.com and NameSilo to Porkbun over the past year.

Anyways, will be interesting to see if CloudFlare offer any interesting features...

• Just got an email that my wave is now open. xD

• @xaoc said:
    Just got an email that my wave is now open. xD

You're on wave 1? Care to share the email?

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@xaoc said:

Same here!

@sibaper said:

@xaoc said:

Cloudflare Registrar
    Your wave is now open.
    Stop paying marked-up prices on your domain registration.

You can now start transferring your active Cloudflare domains to Cloudflare Registrar. Cloudflare will only charge you the wholesale price for your domain, regardless of the TLD or registry.
    GET STARTED

Login to your Cloudflare account

Select "Domain Registration"

Follow the prompts for transferring

Thanked by 1sibaper
  • thanks a lot, I'm on wave 1 too, but didnt get the email. Maybe its on the way

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@smile said:

@Daniel15 said:
    Not sure when they added this (it wasn't there when I last checked), but it looks like they have some example pricing listed on the site now:

woohoo. i save almost a dollar in com renewals.

Did you ever heard from Namesilo?

• @Hxxx said:
    Nah, just join them. Is easier. I mean unless you do controversial things on your websites.

@Amitz said:
    No, thanks. I prefer paying a surcharge for a bit more freedom. They already control a chunk of the Internet that is large enough. Fight the Power!

Isn't Facebook the Internet anyway? Why do you guys even bother with vps and cloudflare when you can just set up a Facebook page or app? Trust in big brother!

• @sibaper said:
    thanks a lot, I'm on wave 1 too, but didnt get the email. Maybe its on the way

Strange, I'm on wave 8 but also got the email today

Thanked by 1sibaper
  • Seems like it's random. I'm in wave 8 as well and I didn't receive the email.

• For those on wave 1, it opened a few days ago even though you may have not received the email yet (I only got it today), but it's already available on your cloudflare dashboard

• @sibaper said:

@xaoc said:

I was actually in wave 1 then it switched me to wave 3 as i removed some domains so that wave stuff must not apply anymore since they did kinda missed the schedule.

Thanked by 1sibaper
  • smilesmile Member
    edited November 2018

I am on wave one. they only allow you to renew on domains that expire within like a year for 1 year. It was a mess though; I only renew one domain because it was expiring the soonest. Trying to add more than one and the secret key turns out invalid on some or all of them. WIll try again tomorrow.

• You need to verify and activate your email to receive the notification. I login to my account, it already activated for domain transfer/register for my account but I did not receive my email as well. I am on wave 8 as well.

• What TLDs do they currently support?

• so, should I transfer to Cloudflare?

• @NanoG6 said:
    so, should I transfer to Cloudflare?

Nope go to Porkbun.

• Yeah I don't see any technical/feature benefit from this. Unless we can get some of pro feature, I'll consider

• @pullangcubo said:
    What TLDs do they currently support?

.com, .net and .org, the rest is craps.

https://www.cloudflare.com/tld-policies/

Thanked by 1pullangcubo

Just transferred my main domain. Well. Not worth tbh. Their interface is really in beta. The only thing you can do is to enable / disable auto renew. You cannot modify dns, renew in advance, edit whois, unlock, get epp, get whois protection and so on. Nothing. Disappointed to say the least. Thought they would have a few more options at least the basic.

Thanked by 2NanoG6 Daniel15
  • ricardoricardo Member
    edited November 2018

Of course it's not worth it. They're just a registrar. Their job is to talk EPP with the registry "hey register this domain", "change the nameservers in the zone", "renew the domain for 3 years". There's definitely no magic moment.

Namebright and other registrars offer similar prices. Cloudflare are doing it at no profit. There's no rainbow.

Maybe it's a bit like the folks that follow Apple and buy their stuff. Cloudflare folks, herd up your domains and bring em on in.

What do you expect?

• @NanoG6 said:
    Yeah I don't see any technical/feature benefit from this. Unless we can get some of pro feature, I'll consider

Because it only one-two day since the officially announcment it give some times untill it mature enough.

I just got the email. Will transfer from other registrar not because the pricing, but because I love their dns API (cloudflare not the domain).

Our inhouse tool to manage dns, and then maybe domain later, will make everyone on team happy.

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran
    edited November 2018

MikePT said: Just transferred my main domain. Well. Not worth tbh. Their interface is really in beta. The only thing you can do is to enable / disable auto renew. You cannot modify dns, renew in advance, edit whois, unlock, get epp, get whois protection and so on. Nothing. Disappointed to say the least. Thought they would have a few more options at least the basic.

Lots of it is on their to do list. I moved some domains a few weeks back via earlier access as I am now part of Cloudflare's new MVP program as well. My write up on my experiences with transferring domains to Cloudflare Registrar at https://community.centminmod.com/threads/cloudflare-domain-registrar-transfers-reduced-my-costs-by-37.16038/ :)

FYI, modifying DNS should always work as always via DNS tab. The unlock/EPP code doesn't show until 60 days after transfer as per required laws but CF should mention that - I've been giving my feedback and suggestions to Cloudflare Registrar development team as well.

Extened years renewal in advance is coming. And well Whois protection is enabled by default via redacted whois records. But yes it's early access for a reason - lots to do and improve :)

• There is no way to just use Cloudflare as a domain registrar without switching nameservers to them as well, is there?

• Adam1Adam1 Member
    edited November 2018

I was wave 4 and I can transfer in as of 29 nov

but they dont support the TLD's I have, pretty crappy launch IMO.

Thanked by 1pullangcubo
  • No profits on domain registration, but a way to attract clients, who can spend on other services. Sounds like interesting, I wonder if other companies will follow.

• SteveMC said: I wonder if other companies will follow.

like google and amazon? 🤔

Thanked by 1SteveMC
  • It's been a couple of months now that NameSilo reduced their top tld prices and are not increasing them for example .com registration is sitting at $6.99 and .net registration is $7.65 from a couple of months.

https://new.namesilo.com/pricing?beta=1

Thanked by 1SteveMC