Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cloudflare just launched the world's first no-markup domain registrar, - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cloudflare just launched the world's first no-markup domain registrar,

Comments

• Interesting :) Will read a bit into it tomorrow!

• simbasimba Member
    edited October 2018

Sofia_K said: I read few years ago NEVER EVER host your domains with your hosting provider. Keep domain, hosting and email on 3 different providers.

I was just explaining to someone on another forum how that's nonsense.

The only reason to keep them separate is that they are two completely different industries and marketplaces and companies which are really great at hosting might not even be registrars, and companies that are really great at domain names probably aren't also great at hosting.

But any "Security" concerns are the incompetent ramblings of amateurs and can be safely ignored.

You should be creating regular backups of your data and storing them separate from your hosting account. No matter what. So if anything happens you can walk away and rebuild on a different server. If you have a WordPress site the free plugin BackWPUp has a feature to deliver backups directly to your cloud storage, which is an excellent solution.

And if your domain gets killed by the registrar there's nothing you can do to mitigate that, but you can recover from it by going through the proper procedures depending on circumstances, so that's a non-issue.

There is zero reason to keep E-mail separate from hosting. That myth was probably started by E-mail service providers trying to sell their product. If you cant trust the host with your E-mail then you shouldn't be trusting them with your website either. Neither is less important than the other.

• ricardoricardo Member
    edited October 2018

simba said: The only reason

Dangerous words to use given anything you don't know.

One random example: some hosting companies will list themselves as the contact for the domain upon registration. The client then does not pay for hosting. The hosting provider keeps the domain, but the client wants it. Who owns the domain? The advice given to keep them separate is because the registrar is simply interested in following the registry rules and being a registrar.

Some cpanel setups require you to change nameservers for your domain in order to add the domain into the hosting setup. What if you use gmail? What if their nameservers are flaky? What if the nameservers do not meet the requirement of insert exotic ccTLD registry here

There is simply no good reason why you must use a hosting companies nameservers.

• simbasimba Member
    edited October 2018

ricardo said: One random example: some hosting companies will list themselves as the contact for the domain upon registration. The client then does not pay for hosting. The hosting provider keeps the domain, but the client wants it. Who owns the domain? The advice given to keep them separate is because the registrar is simply interested in following the registry rules and being a registrar.

Okay but I'm pretty sure that's a violation of ICANN regulations and the customer would be able to recovery their domain name.

My rationale is this: the path to recovery of a domain name is going to be about the same amount of hassle, no matter who it's registered with.

I'm not saying you should get your domain from your host tho. I think you should get your domain from a dedicated registrar. Not a hosting company that also offers domains. Just like you should get your host from a hosting company. And that has more to do with competency expectations than anything else. E-mail and Web Hosting are basically the same discipline (system administration) so it's safe to get those from the same provider.

• And you should purchase your hosting directly from the bare metal or vps provider not from a consultant. Then you contract the consultant independently. Eliminates "issues and forgetfulness" of one man shop not paying bills.

• simbasimba Member
    edited October 2018

OmgpleaseRead said: And you should purchase your hosting directly from the bare metal or vps provider not from a consultant. Then you contract the consultant independently. Eliminates "issues and forgetfulness" of one man shop not paying bills.

Sometimes, yes. This depends a lot on what kind of purposes you've got in mind and what kind of customer you are. I'm not sure how many consultants you've hired, but it is a marketplace full of incompetence and crooks. An established hosting brand can offer you some peace of mind.

Really you should do what works best for you, because there is not a one-size-fits-all methodology.

This thread is about Cloudflare yes? Seems to have strayed off topic.

• kind of like buying a domain, sometimes its best from your hoster depending on situation. Ort perhaps buying it from Cloudflare. Might actually be a proper move depending on your company and reimbursement bs etc etc to just do one po not 2. But its let so we need hard and fast rules - buy from the little guy cause he contracts with the big guy anyway.

• simba said: My rationale is this: the path to recovery of a domain name is going to be about the same amount of hassle, no matter who it's registered with.

I'll assume you've never went down that path. Generally people with businesses and online interests can't hang around a month or two while their site is offline.

And yes, it's about Cloudflare but also about good practice.

• ricardo said: I'll assume you've never went down that path. Generally people with businesses and online interests can't hang around a month or two while their site is offline.

I've actually filed a half dozen ICANN disputes in the past 5 years. It doesn't take a month. It takes about 24-48 hours usually. However I've never had to deal with a very ugly scenario like we've been discussing.

If someone completely hijacks your domain in a way that can't be quickly resolved you'd be best off to register a new domain just to get your site back online in the meantime. Not an ideal situation, which is why we're talking about prevention first.

But you need to realize that you can't actually prevent the worst case scenario. No matter what approach you take, you're renting services from other people and there's always a chance someone can ruin your day as a result. That's the reality of living in a world of free-willed persons. The only sure-fire solution is to do everything yourself. But becoming a domain registrar is not cheap.

• ricardoricardo Member
    edited October 2018

simba said: I've actually filed a half dozen ICANN disputes in the past 5 years. It doesn't take a month. It takes about 24-48 hours usually. However I've never had to deal with a very ugly scenario like we've been discussing.

UDRP? I'm amazed they concluded things so quickly if you went through that channel.

Besides, I still think the old advice of hosting and domain registration with separate companies is a sound practice, which you seemed to disagree with. Each to their own, as you say it depends on who you're dealing with.

• simbasimba Member
    edited October 2018

ricardo said: Besides, I still think the old advice of hosting and domain registration with separate companies is a sound practice, which you seemed to disagree with.

My disagreement is with the reasoning, that it protects you somehow from crooks.

What will protect you from crooks is doing a lot of research on a provider before buying. That's way more important than separating your services.

But I sort of agreed they should be separate, as a matter of competency. To improve your chances of receiving competent service, you should rent your services from companies which specialize in the services you're renting. There is one caveat, because this is where people say "So rent E-mail separate" which is nonsense, because E-mail and Web hosting require the same skillset. A company that can't be trusted with E-mail shouldn't be trusted with Web, either.

• @Sofia_K said:
    I read few years ago NEVER EVER host your domains with your hosting provider. Keep domain, hosting and email on 3 different providers.

What if the CEO wakes up one morning and just plug off your "account" - everything will be lost.

So even if Cloudflare registrar offers free domain registration or advertises itself as no-markup registrar, I'll advice not to go with them. Pay $1 or $2 more and manage your domains with other reputed domain-registrars.

Logic fail. No matter which or what provider you use, if they host your domains, they're your hosting provider. But I'm being pedantic, I know most people on this site do not speak English as primary language.

And you should have learned a different lesson years ago, always have backups.

Thanked by 1ricardo
  • Wave 1 was mid October, and wave 2 late October.

So, how is the service?

• Registered, Wave 5 mid-nov, but they have no cctld's and only .com/.info that i could possibly make use of. The rest of their TLD's are junk "donut" domains

• no info so far, I'm on Wave 1

• sinsin Member
    edited October 2018

@marrco said:
    Wave 1 was mid October, and wave 2 late October.

So, how is the service?

I'm Wave 1 and haven't received anything, no news.

• HostiggerHostigger Member, Host Rep

Low Prices.

Whois Protection free. Very Nice.

• @Hostigger said:

Low Prices.

Aww how cute. Almost like a real registrar!

• @CyberMonday said:

@Hostigger said:

Low Prices.

Aww how cute. Almost like a real registrar!

they a real registrar

• Still don't get the big hype honestly. Why should I bother to move from Namesilo?

• bugrakoc said: Still don't get the big hype honestly. Why should I bother to move from Namesilo?

Hype and groupthink can get them a lot of business. Saving 50 cents is a worthwhile proposition for having 1000 domains and an easy transfer method.

• mfsmfs Banned, Member

Just received this

We want to help you move as many domains to Cloudflare as possible. To that end, we’re excited to announce that we will launch with support for 246 TLDs, and we aren’t done yet. You can follow our progress here (https://www.cloudflare.com/tld-policies/) .

• @mfs said:
    Just received this

They are apparently running behind original estimates now:

Unfortunately, the work to add more TLDs and ensure they each transfer smoothly is taking a bit longer than our initial estimates. We still plan to open access within a month of your original projection in the waitlist.

• Not sure when they added this (it wasn't there when I last checked), but it looks like they have some example pricing listed on the site now:

• @Daniel15 said:
    Not sure when they added this (it wasn't there when I last checked), but it looks like they have some example pricing listed on the site now:

woohoo. i save almost a dollar in com renewals.

• cool news for end users, but may cause of a headache for providers.

• @adroitssd said:
    cool news for end users, but may cause of a headache for providers.

Why?

• JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited October 2018

Porkbun:

.com 8.84 USD/year (register/transfer/renew + privacy)

.net 9.78 USD/year (register/transfer/renew + privacy)

.info 11.98 USD/year (renew + privacy)

.org 10.72 USD/year (register/transfer/renew + privacy)

• @Janevski said:
    Porkbun:

.com 8.84 (register/transfer/renew)

.net 9.78 (register/transfer/renew)

.info 11.98 (renew)

.org 10.72 (register/transfer/renew)

I wonder why is .net cheaper.

• @xaoc said:

@adroitssd said:
    cool news for end users, but may cause of a headache for providers.

Why?

Thousands of host and domain provider even registry make them as CDN partner, But the CDN partner is going to introduce the same category product at the lowest price, so provider will think twice is it mutual benefit or one party benefit.