Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cloudflare just launched the world's first no-markup domain registrar, - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cloudflare just launched the world's first no-markup domain registrar,

Comments

• @jsg said:

Reason: The large mega-corporation have many other sources of income. Just think about Google closing (or making very unattractive) even major services because they feel like it.

The number of services/software projects Google has already ended makes me not want to use anything new they announce.

• @donli said:

@jsg said:

Reason: The large mega-corporation have many other sources of income. Just think about Google closing (or making very unattractive) even major services because they feel like it.

The number of services/software projects Google has already ended makes me not want to use anything new they announce.

They do seem to rival MS and Apple in aborted stupidities of things which were brilliant at the time. That said, if they can't find a way to make a profit, they might as well kill it off.

Vine and Vid.Me still make me laugh, though. Talk about just slightly missing the mark.

• @gol3m said:
    This looks promising, as long as there is whois privacy for a small fee.

Most registrars have either free or very cheap whois privacy now, particularly European ones (due to GDPR).

My favourite registrar at the moment is Porkbun - I've got around 35 domains with them. They tend to be either the cheapest or almost the cheapest for a lot of TLDs, and offer free whois privacy. I use https://tld-list.com/ for comparing prices. Interested in seeing if CloudFlare are actually cheaper than Porkbun.

• AuroraZAuroraZ Barred
    edited September 2018

Bah just another way to get you to use them so they can sniff data, not saying I know for sure they do it. It is a great way to set it up though. Make themselves the middle man and sniff away.

Sad thing is most do this kind of shit willingly and then bitch the loudest when it hits the fan.

Remember if you don't pay for it the product is YOU!

E.G. FaceCrack

• AuroraZ said: Remember if you don't pay for it the product is YOU!

even if you pay for product you still the product. for ex Windows 10.

Thanked by 3rm_ maverickp netomx
  • @sibaper said:

AuroraZ said: Remember if you don't pay for it the product is YOU!

even if you pay for product you still the product. for ex Windows 10.

Technically if you buy a prebuilt or new laptop they come with Windows. They have made deals to do this and you did not buy it. Ubuntu has done this to an extent as well.

Now when you buy a license for it, you would be correct. Not that I know anyone in right mind that would do such a ridiculous thing.

• simbasimba Member
    edited September 2018

AuroraZ said: Sad thing is most do this kind of shit willingly and then bitch the loudest when it hits the fan.

Remember if you don't pay for it the product is YOU!

You're absolutely right. I doubt Cloudflare is doing such a thing as a policy, but the way they're trying to corner every tech market and make themselves an essential piece of every website is disgusting and needs to be stopped. It's contradictory to the very spirit of the internet.

Occam's razor would suggest they're just doing these things to increase their business. But they're deceiving people about it. They advertise their service as if it's free, but obviously it isn't. And in my opinion, dishonest marketing is enough reason to avoid any business no matter how juicy their offers sound.

• ricardoricardo Member
    edited September 2018

https://www.inrupt.com/ - Tim Berners Lee feels the web is too centralised, so probably wouldn't approve of Cloudflare being 'a one stop shop'

• @simba but you are trying to corner charities, hobbyists and those wanting to spend 90 a month on top of their vps cost for "management". Every businesses goal is to present the offer that will derive the most profit in the long run. Why else would you offer managed for $7/mo - you hope it creates buzz. Same for cloudflare. You sir are as evil as you portray them to be. Except you lack the resources to make a meaningful dent in market share- whereas, they do.

• simbasimba Member
    edited September 2018

OmgpleaseRead said: You sir are as evil as you portray them to be.

Your comment is offensive, at best.

Let me put it to you this way, if I am what counts as "evil" to you, then you are already in hell.

OmgpleaseRead said: you are trying to corner charities

So providing charitable organizations with everything they need to operate their online presence, while earning at most $24/yr for my efforts is "Cornering" them? Seriously, my friend, you are too paranoid for your own good.

And your comment amounts to thread hijacking. Did you stop to think about that?

OmgpleaseRead said: Every businesses goal

You are far too busy making up scenarios in your own mind to understand my business goals. Making a profit is necessary to earn a living. Staying in business requires making enough money to survive. The organizations and individuals I provide services to would prefer if I remain in business.

There's so much wrong with your presumptions that a lot of people would never waste their time addressing your concerns. But I suppose responding to your provokations is evil too.

let us get back on topic.

• @simba and cloudflare is doing whats necessary to generate revenue to pay their staff and stay in business- just on a larger scale than you. And because they are large- its evil, yet using digital ocean servers (another big company), is not evil?

• @ricardo said:
    https://www.inrupt.com/ - Tim Berners Lee feels the web is too centralised, so probably wouldn't approve of Cloudflare being 'a one stop shop'

I saw this yesterday, but the article I read did not impress me. Inrupt looks like yet another centralized internet business.

• Since when does it take 8 people over the age of 40 to do nothing?

• donlidonli Member
    edited September 2018

@ricardo said:

His project is being discussed here on LET, see...
    https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/152474/tim-berners-lee-tells-us-his-radical-new-plan-to-upend-the-world-wide-web

• simbasimba Member
    edited September 2018

@OmgpleaseRead said:
    @simba and cloudflare is doing whats necessary to generate revenue to pay their staff and stay in business- just on a larger scale than you. And because they are large- its evil, yet using digital ocean servers (another big company), is not evil?

Are big companies automatically evil to you? Do you own a business? Are you going to say to every business owner who started from nothing that if they grow too large it's time to quit? I understand we're not all Americans here, but in America free market capitalism doesn't have a glass ceiling. Seeing how far you can rise is part of the fun.

I believe it's possible to do that without resorting to the evil you see companies like Google, Facebook, and Cloudflare participating in. There are a lot of large businesses who never show up on that radar because they operate honestly. Digital Ocean is one of those I think. That certainly played a role in my early research.

It's the existence of those honest businesses, especially the large ones, which makes the various Cloudflares stand out from the crowd. We know they're bending rules and testing the tolerance of the public. That's why we don't like them. Not because they're large.

The "Daily Stormer" issue is a perfect example. Nobody likes hatemongers, but that doesn't excuse the unilateral decision that Cloudflare's CEO took in silencing them. And he's still their CEO.

@OmgpleaseRead said: and cloudflare is doing whats necessary to generate revenue to pay their staff and stay in business

Cloudflare is not doing what's necessary to stay in business. Their strategy is to grow as fast as possible and take control of the market. They sell their primary product at a loss in order to lure customers from other CDNs. Drug dealers famously do the same thing "First one's free". I challenge the trustworthiness of any organization who uses the same tactics as street hustlers.

We see these kinds of folks in America all the time and somehow they always turn out to be crooks. Check out the films "The Wolf of Wall Street" or "Smartest Guys in the Room" if you want examples.

And I challenge your credibility when you attack a small, honest operation such as mine, while defending a large crooked organization like Cloudflare in your same breath.

• If all drug dealers actually gave you the first one for free, there'd be no more Free ~VPS~ drugs.

• simbasimba Member
    edited September 2018

Also, evil begets evil. Cloudflare's "free CDN" has caused a ripple effect where crappy shared hosting companies like E.I.G., SiteGround and so on, offer "Free CDN" as part of their feature set, and as a solution to the terrible service that they sell.

This is one of the ways you can measure the good or evil that a business contributes to the world.

and we should keep in mind, it's evil because it hurts people. it does real harm in the world. Not because someone arbitrarily decided that it's crooked. They lie and deceive and exploit ignorance and the consequence is people lose their businesses or they're ripped off for hundreds or thousands of dollars. That's what makes it evil.

• cloudflare's fast adoption tls1.3, quic, http2 is good for the internet. more player in domain registrar market is good for the internet too, my 2 cent.

• @a3Bren said:
    cloudflare's fast adoption tls1.3, quic, http2 is good for the internet. more player in domain registrar market is good for the internet too, my 2 cent.

I don't think they deserve credit for doing that. Adopting modern standards is a matter of basic competence.

It only seems remarkable because so many system administrators on the internet lack that basic competence.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@a3Bren said:
    cloudflare's fast adoption tls1.3, quic, http2 is good for the internet. more player in domain registrar market is good for the internet too, my 2 cent.

• you assume that TLS 1.3, QUIC and http/2 are good which may or may not be the case.

• Cloud$"%§& played a major role in developing the above ... not at all.

• Sounds great but

"You're in Wave 8 🎉

Estimate: Late November"

Ah well.

• @tarasis said:
    Sounds great but

"You're in Wave 8 🎉

Estimate: Late November"

Try it a few times you may get a better position - it's like a lottery.

And it's best to let other people be the beta-testers anyway.

Thanked by 1tarasis
  • @Chocoweb said:
    Hoping Cloudflare will introduce their broadband and mobile data plan

Maybe the start and their own social network ? :dizzy:

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Still prefer Namesilo. Cheap, no bs fees, easy to use.

Thanked by 1TheKiller
  • @netomx said:

It's pretty easy to steal Namesilo domains unfortunately.

Let's see how resistant cloudflare will be.

• tr1cky said: It's pretty easy to steal Namesilo domains unfortunately.

Steal how. Dodgy front end? Social engineering? Poor auth?

If it were blatantly easy, I'm sure they could be prodded into action.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • I read few years ago NEVER EVER host your domains with your hosting provider. Keep domain, hosting and email on 3 different providers.

What if the CEO wakes up one morning and just plug off your "account" - everything will be lost.

So even if Cloudflare registrar offers free domain registration or advertises itself as no-markup registrar, I'll advice not to go with them. Pay $1 or $2 more and manage your domains with other reputed domain-registrars.

Thanked by 1desperand
  • tr1cky said: It's pretty easy to steal Namesilo domains unfortunately.

Evidence?

• @tr1cky said:

@netomx said:

It's pretty easy to steal Namesilo domains unfortunately.

Let's see how resistant cloudflare will be.

Not easy if 2FA is used.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

tr1cky said: steal Namesilo domains unfortunately.

source?