Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cloudflare just launched the world's first no-markup domain registrar, - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cloudflare just launched the world's first no-markup domain registrar,

Comments

• Wave 8. Estimate time: Never. :(

• @Yura said:
    Wave 8. Estimate time: Never. :(

New CF account/ no domains added?

Adding more domains to your Cloudflare account also moves you closer to using our at-cost registrar.

• Funny how they claim no markup but Porkbun is cheaper than them for .net (and several other registrars are cheaper than them for .info and .org).

• So, it means someone will build plugin for reselling their domain ? Great news for me.

• @karatekidmonkey said:
    Funny how they claim no markup but Porkbun is cheaper than them for .net (and several other registrars are cheaper than them for .info and .org).

Well I'm guessing volume is a factor aswell.

• @xaoc said:

@Yura said:

Adding more domains to your Cloudflare account also moves you closer to using our at-cost registrar.

About a year old account with domains. Just my luck.

• JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited September 2018

I signed up out of curiosity and got wave 5...

I still am not sure about this. I used to love Dynadot, but then they eventually gave me a reason to search and find Porkbun, which are far better.

Back on topic, if i am to have a domain paid for and registered through Cloudflare, are they going to take my domain away just for not agreeing with my views of the world? And let's face it, my views are considered disagreeable in the new world order. Not that i express them publicly that much though, but hypothetically, let's assume i do, or i am considering to.

Thanked by 1that_guy
  • HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2018

@Janevski said:
    Back on topic, if i am to have a domain paid for and registered through Cloudflare, are they going to take my domain away just for not agreeing with my views of the world? And let's face it, my views are considered disagreeable in the new world order. Not that i express them publicly that much though, but hypothetically, let's assume i do, or i am considering to.

I'd say it's more of a 50/50 toss up than looking at how GoDaddy, Google, NameCheap and others handled the situation you're referring to. Whole thing kicked off with them seizing domains.

Thanked by 1Janevski
  • Soon they will start to sell shared hosting , and then VPS, and dedicated server , and become full-product-line from hosting to CDN

• JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited September 2018

@qtwrk said:
    Soon they will start to sell shared hosting , and then VPS, and dedicated server , and become full-product-line from hosting to CDN

They already offer and sell dns management and web proxy (mitm), they'll slap those two services as a readily available option for domains registered through them due to slightly lower domain prices and gain even more users who are capable of paying them. Integrated services.

• mfsmfs Banned, Member

One account wave 1, another one wave 4, yet another one wave 6. I don't personally use CF.

Checked one of those confirmation mail

Want to get access earlier?

We would like to invite you to donate to Girls Who Code, a nonprofit which works to close the gender gap in the technology industry. By donating, you can support their mission and get access to Cloudflare Registrar earlier. Donate to Girls Who Code today.

I've mixed feelings about this, probably I'm not American enough to understand the ongoing debate on the subject

Thanked by 1that_guy
  • karatekidmonkey said: Funny how they claim no markup but Porkbun is cheaper than them for .net (and several other registrars are cheaper than them for .info and .org).

They don't need to 'claim' anything, the registry prices are public knowledge.

It's a pretty common tactic for registrars to give you a cheap 1st year/transfer and recoup after.

Thanked by 1Adam1
  • Hmmmm I just remembered something ...... Meh

Thanked by 1Shazan
  • I got Wave 2.

• Does anyone donated for those "coding grils"?

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited September 2018

@LTniger said:
    Does anyone donated for those "coding grils"?

I did. $1.

• @Yura said:

@xaoc said:

@Yura said:

About a year old account with domains. Just my luck.

I got 16 domains in mine but the account is 7-8 years old. It`s either account age or just random.

• They said in their blog post it's related to the account's age.

If you go to https://dash.cloudflare.com/domains whilst logged in and then click on the link "donate with Classy", you'll jump 1 Wave even without donating a penny (which I'm not recommending).

Thanked by 3Chocoweb sin NealS
  • @LTniger said:
    Does anyone donated for those "coding grils"?

Hurry up and donate so the girls can finish the Cloudflare domain API sooner.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited September 2018

So instead of the registrar markup you now pay "voluntary" donations to even sign up. Kinda nauseating tbh.

Thanked by 3Amitz boernd Shot2
  • mfsmfs Banned, Member
    edited September 2018

rm_ said: So instead of the registrar markup you now pay "voluntary" donations to even sign up. Kinda nauseating tbh.

Rather than paying cisgendered white western males whom already made it into the tech industry thanks to meritocracy, you're now forced to figuratively pay donations in order to promote and free oppressed girls in western countries, correct. It seems that there are no other good causes, recently.

I've already seen some US-based notorious free and open source project slowly pulling out from the context of "meritocracy" – since, it seems, it's the new n-word in the era of contemporary feminism.

I've mixed feelings about this as I've said, I don't want to disrespect anyone but while I'm (still) free to ignore some fundamentalism coming from MENA, I'm not sure I'll be able to ignore fundam affirmative actions coming from the land of the free for too long

• kbap said: ou'll jump 1 Wave even without donating a penny (which I'm not recommending).

Thanks...in Wave 1 now ;)

• NealSNealS Member
    edited September 2018

@Janevski said:
    ... if i am to have a domain paid for and registered through Cloudflare, are they going to take my domain away just for not agreeing with my views of the world?

I guess that's progress*. Now even domain registrars have an AUP. Maybe not yet in writing, but...

(By progress, I mean "as the world moves on, not always in the right direction")

Thanked by 1Janevski
  • plueschopathplueschopath Member
    edited September 2018

The botnet is still growing...

Thanked by 1mfs
  • They should've just rolled it out as a beta to a randomly chosen 5-10% of their active users.

None of this wave business.

Recently I reluctantly started using them as DNS-only. It will be a while before I put both registrar and dns in the same basket like I did in 2000s

• @vimalware said:
    They should've just rolled it out as a beta to a randomly chosen 5-10% of their active users.

None of this wave business.

Recently I reluctantly started using them as DNS-only. It will be a while before I put both registrar and dns in the same basket like I did in 2000s

Their dns is great though, I am also using as dns only for a few years and haven't had any problems.

• CloudFlare isn't the first no-markup registrar :-) freenom has done it for a looong time.

• So much hate for cloudflare, I'll just put it here https://blog.cloudflare.com/f-root/

• @vimalware said:

It will be a while before I put both registrar and dns in the same basket like I did in 2000s

Yes, while I really like Cloudflare DNS I don't want my DNS and Domain Registration handled by the same company.

• donli said: DNS and Domain Registration handled by the same company.

Not sure why. The registrar is ultimately responsible for putting your chosen nameservers in the registry zone file, so any choice of 3rd parties is sort of moot, unless there's some kind of pretense on the quality of registrar DNS services.

Using a hosting company to register domains OTOH... seems like that was a common pitfall when it came to choosing a new hosting provider.