Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lots of cloud for little money. Hetzner Online redefines cloud hosting. - Page 13
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Lots of cloud for little money. Hetzner Online redefines cloud hosting.

Comments

• datanoisedatanoise Member
    edited January 2018

The 20% price increase for 7 automated nightly backups is interesting to be able to restore quickly to a new system in case of a disaster.. Where are those stored?

Regarding the local storage, is there some sort of RAID?

• Regarding the local storage, is there some sort of RAID?

Servers with local disks keep all data on a local RAID mirror on the host system. They are optimized for high I/O performance and low latency and are especially suited for applications which require fast access to disks with low latency, such as databases.

Servers with ceph disks store their data on a remote filesystem. Each block is stored on three different servers. They are especially suited for higher availability needs: If the local host hardware fails, we will boot the server on a different machine.

Thanked by 2datanoise Hetzner_OL
  • WSSWSS Member

@Aidan said:
    Servers with ceph disks store their data on a remote filesystem. Each block is stored on three different servers. They are especially suited for higher availability needs: If the local host hardware fails, we will boot the server on a different machine.

..except when it fails.

Thanked by 1Aidan
  • LeeLee Veteran

angstrom said: I tend to agree with you that LET's reaction is a little over the top, but I got in trouble when I said this yesterday.

Not sure that being excited is over the top when it comes from a reputable provider like Hetzner at the price point given.

I have been burned several times over many years on LET, far too often in fact, so I rarely touch anyone that advertises on here. Even today I see people raving about LET providers experiencing their 3rd rebirth and little mention about the shit they left behind in previous forms.

In 5 years DO have never let me down, in 10 years Linode have but recovered well, Hetzner 10 years also and all good. So when one of them offers me more, sure I will run to them. It's a safe and reliable corner of the internet.

They are big enough to see it through and beyond the 1st year unlike many here.

So, over the top? No, just pleased they are doing what they are, giving me more options and less worry.

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • WSSWSS Member

@Lee How much VortexNode stock do you have?

• LeeLee Veteran

WSS said: @Lee How much VortexNode stock do you have?

Cleaned me out.

Thanked by 1WSS
  • WSSWSS Member

@Lee said:

WSS said: @Lee How much VortexNode stock do you have?

Cleaned me out.

See? You can be funny without being a dick.

Show me the way, senpai.

Thanked by 1Lee
  • @IAlwaysBeCoding said:

@willie said:

IAlwaysBeCoding said: To be truly a disrupting cloud service you have to offer more than a 50% cheaper price/ratio than the competition

Who do you think the competition is? I.e. what other company comes within 50% of this Hetzner product and has hourly billing? Netcup is the first I've seen and it looks like a quick response to Hetzner. Scaleway is too big of a mess to count, plus those Atom servers aren't really comparable.

Sure, block storage would be nice (it won't surprise me if it arrives soon) but on the other hand, you have the possibility of using a dedi or large instance as an NFS server.

What they are offering is not bad, but for a true cloud offering they need at least match DigitalOcean features, at least block storage , and some s3 compatible storage, and more importantly more regions. All the big players deploy their architecture behind multiple regions.

Eh DO gives 1tb for an additional $100 a month... ya not gonna pay that. They can keep their block storage.

• @Lee said: angstrom said: I tend to agree with you that LET's reaction is a little over the top, but I got in trouble when I said this yesterday.

Not sure that being excited is over the top when it comes from a reputable provider like Hetzner at the price point given.

We're good, man. :-) I understand the excitement. The "I got into trouble" was a little dramatic. In the end, no one took me to the town square. :-)

Thanked by 1Lee
  • LeeLee Veteran

sureiam said: Eh DO gives 1tb for an additional $100 a month... ya not gonna pay that. They can keep their block storage.

I know a couple who pay way more for block storage than $100. It works for them, what they earn from their site makes it a drop in the ocean (see what I did there?).

• LeeLee Veteran

angstrom said: In the end, no one took me to the town square. :-)

It's in the diary, Sunday at 12.

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • IAlwaysBeCoding said: for a true cloud offering they need at least match DigitalOcean features, at least block storage , and some s3 compatible storage, and more importantly more regions. All the big players deploy their architecture behind multiple regions, 1 country is a big no-no for any noticeable players to move to Hetzner.

DO itself didn't get block storage and Spaces (object store) til last year iirc. Are you saying they weren't a true cloud service til then? Do you think many of their users cared? What's so great about block storage anyway? Back in the day, people used NFS for that, and it worked ok as long as the NFS server stayed online. I don't see how block storage is that much better.

MNX.io and Lunanode are very small operations that (through OpenStack) have pretty much the same features DO has. So I don't know that there's such a huge engineering gap between DO and anyone else these days.

I've worked at a couple places with 6 figure monthly AWS bills. One was US-only, the other had some non-US stuff but could done without it or used other companies for it (it also had stuff in Azure and Softlayer). Hetzner is building a datacenter in Finland so it will be in multiple countries soon, fwiw.

Take a look at the HN thread I linked above for some of the interest in this Hetzner product. There are some very heavy AWS users there.

• LeeLee Veteran

I am wondering if now would be a good time to put a placeholder thread for "Hetzner are scammers, closed my account, STAY AWAY".

• WSSWSS Member

@Lee said:
    I am wondering if now would be a good time to put a placeholder thread for "Hetzner are scammers, closed my account, STAY AWAY".

Only if you can sticky it and add plenty of feature-rich SEO tags.

Thanked by 1Lee
  • @willie said:

IAlwaysBeCoding said: for a true cloud offering they need at least match DigitalOcean features, at least block storage , and some s3 compatible storage, and more importantly more regions. All the big players deploy their architecture behind multiple regions, 1 country is a big no-no for any noticeable players to move to Hetzner.

DO itself didn't get block storage and Spaces (object store) til last year iirc. Are you saying they weren't a true cloud service til then? Do you think many of their users cared? What's so great about block storage anyway? Back in the day, people used NFS for that, and it worked ok as long as the NFS server stayed online. I don't see how block storage is that much better.

What's the big deal about SQS, what's the big deal about Lambda, what's the big deal about Kinesis, what's the big deal about RedShift and their $1k a year terabyte storage?

Your thinking with your own wallet and not the wallet of a semi-funded, well funded company, these things matters to start-ups and companies that have engineering teams. Block storage, or ELB is a huge deal for these companies, so is S3.

Truly disrupting the cloud business will be taking a good chunk of Amazon's pie, once that happens then you can talk to me about "disrupting" this or that.

Everyone's here has drank too much LET kool-aid and I'm for reals. This Hetzner offering is great, but is not going to make a dent on Amazon's grip of the cloud. Heck, I would be more willing to believe that DigitalOcean will make 10 times more of a dent with their price changes than Hetzner. Hetzner has 0 years in the cloud industry, and DigitalOcean has since 2011.

MNX.io and Lunanode are very small operations that (through OpenStack) have pretty much the same features DO has. So I don't know that there's such a huge engineering gap between DO and anyone else these days.

Who the fuck uses Lunanode or MNX.io, I bet not even 1/100th of Hackernews ever heard of those companies, heck not everybody on Hackernews have ever heard of Hetzner. You can see it on the comments, some people have just heard about the Hetzner brand because of their new cloud offerings.

I've worked at a couple places with 6 figure monthly AWS bills. One was US-only, the other had some non-US stuff but could done without it or used other companies for it (it also had stuff in Azure and Softlayer). Hetzner is building a datacenter in Finland so it will be in multiple countries soon, fwiw.

Take a look at the HN thread I linked above for some of the interest in this Hetzner product. There are some very heavy AWS users there.

>

Nobody ever got fired for using AWS.

I get it for users like @Lee whose purchasing power of cloud services is insignificant Hetzner prices seem like the return of Jesus feeding all of you hungry LET miserable fuckers with low end wine and bread.

• IAlwaysBeCoding said:

I get it for users like @Lee whose purchasing power of cloud services is insignificant Hetzner prices seem like the return of Jesus feeding all of you hungry LET miserable fuckers with low end wine and bread.

Would you like some cheese to go with that whine? :)

• WSSWSS Member

@willie said:

IAlwaysBeCoding said:

Would you like some cheese to go with that whine? :)

It's against his rereg-religion.

• LeeLee Veteran

IAlwaysBeCoding said: I get it for users like @Lee whose purchasing power of cloud services is insignificant Hetzner prices seem like the return of Jesus feeding all of you hungry LET miserable fuckers with low end wine and bread.

awww, your mumma not giving you any love.

• Okay @willie here is a scenario, what do you do on Hetzner if you wish to setup a Hadoop cluster, how can you do it on 240GB of storage without any block storage. Or what about if you plan on storing a few cassandra nodes, or kafka nodes?

What about if you have a shit load of data to import on an ElasticSearch cluster?

• IAlwaysBeCoding said: how can you do it on 240GB of storage without any block storage.

What's wrong with NFS?

IAlwaysBeCoding said: Or what about if you plan on storing a few cassandra nodes, or kafka nodes?

Assuming it's long term data, I'd probably still use dedicated servers for that. Even AWS has those now, though it took them a long time to catch up.

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • When talking about the ceph storage, is there a way to get VMs to use the same ceph volume/container, as shared storage?

• WSSWSS Member

@someSguy said:
    When talking about the ceph storage, is there a way to get VMs to use the same ceph volume/container, as shared storage?

It's plausible if you use a clustered filesystem, but given how it completely shit itself hard when Ashley used it, well, I'm sitting on the "fuck that" side of the fence.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Aidan said:

Gotta love giving a copy of your ID to foreign companies.

They're German, it's fine.

LET in a nutshell...

"I can't believe ANYONE would EVER ask me for my ID, I feel so violated."

Subtract $15 from price:

"Here's my ID sir, ty."

:P

• edited January 2018

@jarland said:

@Aidan said:

Gotta love giving a copy of your ID to foreign companies.

They're German, it's fine.

LET in a nutshell...

Subtract $15 from price:

"Here's my ID sir, ty."

:P

Everybody has a price.

@Jarland, do you honestly think Hetzner would make a dent to Amazon's strong grip in the cloud or do you think DigitalOcean will make a much bigger dent? Are you noticing a lot of more dormant accounts returning to using DigitalOcean after that price change you guys did?

Thanked by 1jar
  • WSSWSS Member

@jarland said:
    LET in a nutshell...

Subtract $15 from price:

"Here's my ID sir, ty."

I like it better now that you can speakfreely.org.

Thanked by 1jar
  • I only want say that I love the Hetzner Cloud. Build a 20+ Node Elasticsearch Cluster for a staging System in no time, great Performance so far. Seems time to say goodbye to AWS for our Staging needs.

• @WSS i had a crazy idea long ago that you and @jarland are same person.

• WSSWSS Member

@ehab Why the hell would you expect that? He randomly goes off on a tangent; that's my usual post.

• nico said:

I only want say that I love the Hetzner Cloud. Build a 20+ Node Elasticsearch Cluster for a staging System in no time,

Nice! Those of us with the 10 node limit all hail our new 20+ node overlord. You give hope to us plebes.

• @WSS maybe because i didn't see jarland go crazy enough.. hahah oky, i am the one crazy....

Thanked by 1WSS