Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lots of cloud for little money. Hetzner Online redefines cloud hosting. - Page 11
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Lots of cloud for little money. Hetzner Online redefines cloud hosting.

Comments

• pikepike Veteran
    edited January 2018

@Falzo said:
    yes exactly... so interesting enough, torrenting is no longer strictly forbidden then? (illegal content of course still is by the law)

No one did care in the past. (Except if there was a copyright claim I guess, but never experienced this on my own). And I know many people on my tracker use hetzner dedis as seedbox.

• @pike said:

@Falzo said:
    yes exactly... so interesting enough, torrenting is no longer strictly forbidden then? (illegal content of course still is by the law)

No one did care in the past. (Except if there was a copyright claim I guess, but never experienced this on my own)

probably, the mentioning of eDonkey itself tells how aged that part was. still it's part of the contract, you know? ;-)

Thanked by 1pike
  • pikepike Veteran

@Falzo ...or it tells how aged the author is.

Thanked by 2hostdare Shazan
  • @pike said:
    @Falzo ...or it tells how aged the author is.

haha :-D

anyway it's just a legal thing, as long as there are no complaints, a provider has no legal ground to even 'guess' what you are doing or not - it simply would be against privacy protetction laws if they try to monitor or check what you have running on your box.

and if there are complaints they won't need that phrase in their tos anyway, because illegal things are forbidden anyway, because... well, being illegal.

for mining that's different, because it isn't illegal by any means (at least for now).

so it will be interesting to see based on what criteria customers should be pinned to breaking the TOS while the provider is not able to check on their doings without breaking the law himself...

• Hmpf. Freshly signed up 2 hours ago. Received "your access details" emails showing my login. Did NOT receive any request for further verification.
    Now:
    I didn't get an email. :-( Can I trigger that somewhere in the menu?

• " The use of file sharing tools e.g. eDonkey "

100% saw that as well

Thanked by 1hostdare
  • hostdarehostdare Member, Patron Provider

Aidan said: 100% saw that as well

haha so confirmed by 3 people

• @southy Same here. I sent them a ticket and they told me to give them my passport.

• @southy said:
    Hmpf. Freshly signed up 2 hours ago. Received "your access details" emails showing my login. Did NOT receive any request for further verification.
    Now:
    I didn't get an email. :-( Can I trigger that somewhere in the menu?

You didn't get this email after signup? - Authentication to Your Account Creation #K123456789

• karatekidmonkey said: @southy Same here. I sent them a ticket and they told me to give them my passport.

just sent your government issued id, might take 1-2 days to get verified

Thanked by 2Aidan Unixfy
  • LeeLee Veteran

hostdare said: haha so confirmed by 3 people

Confirmed by dozens, I was on a skype chat last night where it was being talked about, everyone thought it was making a come back.

• If I wasn't about 4500 miles from their datacenters, I'd hop right on this. Still tempting though.

• Hetzner_OL said: If you have an order number or ticket number, I can try to look into it. --Katie, Marketing

I'm still on verification process. Will client number work?

• @Hetzner_OL Any plans of larger packages, or being able to add more RAM, SSD maybe?

• Not sure how mature is API, if that works well as expected, gonna be very cheap alternative to AWS for high-end IO tasks in future.

@Hetzner_OL Any dedicated cores variants? Not sure someone already asked.

Thanked by 1pike
  • LeeLee Veteran

I think most of the questions being asked about features not yet present are that they have launched with the current offering to get into the market, more features and offers will come in time but at the moment there are no dates. So take it or leave it.

Thanked by 3Aidan MikePT Hetzner_OL
  • Surely I will be a customer for a long time, the performance and the price are very fair. Congratulations Hetzner!

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • Can anyone ping to several USA locations?

• @vovler said:
    Can anyone ping to several USA locations?

Which ones do you need?

Thanked by 1Aidan
  • edited January 2018

Let's be quite honest here, Hetzner has brought a decently priced cloud offering, but I wouldn't call it "disrupting" by any means.

To be truly a disrupting cloud service you have to offer more than a 50% cheaper price/ratio than the competition, if that wouldn't be that case everybody would have moved already to the cheapest cloud offering. There is a huge reason why AWS remains the king of the hill at the moment, and it is not because of the price. It's simply due to the vast cloud services/features it offers to its clients. Their price aren't cheap by most standards, but overall their services are superior when combined tightly-coupled and deployed all through 1 API.

DigitalOcean, has a much cheaper price than AWS, less features than AWS, but still has a renounced clients that are using them as an alternative to AWS. They offer block storage, s3 compatible storage (but spaces issues still need to be ironed out), optimized droplets, and a wonderful and easy API. For many that are used to AWS, DigitalOcean is the dirt cheap cloud offering with good enough basic services needed to deploy a decent architecture.

Hetzner only has an alpha Go API, no block storage, 1 data center location, and the features are still extremely basic.

You aren't going to get many distinguished companies switching over just because they offer 2 gb for ~$3 dollars. Hetzner has a long way to go, the amount of engineering that they will have to do in order to catch up to the offerings of the other cloud providers will be enormous. If they plan to offer a real competitive edge and focus just on hardware, then they should start pivoting towards bare-dedicated instances. Only there I see them getting a noticeable advantage, but launching the me-too vps compute instances, without all of the other features seems to me like it won't attract any heavy-weight cloud user.

However, for the LET market who are constantly switching providers in a heart beat, Hetzner looks to the LET as the messiah that has finally arrived to "disrupt" the LET providers and force them to offer slash their prices or offer better offerings.

• @Cryck said:

@vovler said:
    Can anyone ping to several USA locations?

Which ones do you need?

Any locations you can ping would be fine. From any Hetzner datacenter.

• IAlwaysBeCoding said: To be truly a disrupting cloud service you have to offer more than a 50% cheaper price/ratio than the competition

No, that would be called going out of business.

IAlwaysBeCoding said: DigitalOcean, has a much cheaper price than Hetzner

No.

IAlwaysBeCoding said: no block storage

Storage boxes?

IAlwaysBeCoding said:Hetzner only has... 1 data center location

No.

IAlwaysBeCoding said: launching the me-too vps compute instances

Sigh...

• Hetzner_OLHetzner_OL Member, Top Host

@Aluminat said:
    I'm still on verification process. Will client number work?

Yes, you can send me a client number and I can ask my colleagues to check on it. --Katie, Hetzner Online

• @Aidan said:

IAlwaysBeCoding said: To be truly a disrupting cloud service you have to offer more than a 50% cheaper price/ratio than the competition

No.

Dammit, I messed up there, Hetzner was supposed to be AWS.

Thanked by 2Aidan Wolveix
  • @Hetzner_OL - Tor Exit nodes are allowed with Hetzner cloud?

@emilv said:
    @Hetzner_OL Any plans of larger packages, or being able to add more RAM, SSD maybe?

Please see: https://wiki.hetzner.de/index.php/CloudServer/en#Do_you_plan_to_add_x_feature.3F.2FWill_you_add_more_features.3F

We will do our best to keep LET readers posted as we add more features, upgrades, etc. --Katie, Marketing

• @IAlwaysBeCoding said: However, for the LET market who are constantly switching providers in a heart beat, Hetzner looks to the LET as the messiah that has finally arrived to "disrupt" the LET providers and force them to offer slash their prices or offer better offerings.

Communities are always looking for messiahs. LET is no different in this respect.

I tend to agree with you that LET's reaction is a little over the top, but I got in trouble when I said this yesterday.

Thanked by 1IAlwaysBeCoding
  • @Aidan said:

IAlwaysBeCoding said: To be truly a disrupting cloud service you have to offer more than a 50% cheaper price/ratio than the competition

So your point is, because we both are agreeing to the same thing. LOL.

No.

I told you I messed up there.

IAlwaysBeCoding said: no block storage

Storage boxes?

Do you know what block storage is? It is not the same as storage boxes, not even close. Look up the differences then comeback to the thread.

IAlwaysBeCoding said:Hetzner only has... 1 data center location

No.

Okay, my bad, I meant to say 1 country data center location, not 1 data center exactly but just the same country.

IAlwaysBeCoding said: launching the me-too vps compute instances

Sigh...

It is the me-too vps compute instances, what exactly have they done that is "disrupting".

@default said:
    @Hetzner_OL - Tor Exit nodes are allowed with Hetzner cloud?

They are not specifically forbidden, but we will fully cooperate with law enforcement organizations. --Katie, Marketing

Thanked by 1uptime
  • I am reasonably confident Hetzner will roll. out every item on the cloud wishlist.

Dynamically allocatable block storage would have to be priced much higher than these fixed size ceph volumes, I imagine.

@Hetzner_OL are snapshots stored on ceph or ZFS storage infrastructure?