Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lots of cloud for little money. Hetzner Online redefines cloud hosting. - Page 12
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Lots of cloud for little money. Hetzner Online redefines cloud hosting.

Comments

• Tor Exit nodes are allowed with Hetzner cloud?

_
    They are not specifically forbidden, but we will fully cooperate with law enforcement organizations. --Katie, Marketing

I totally would do this if I only had one service with hetzner. hue hue hue.

• @vimalware said:
    I am reasonably confident Hetzner will roll. out every item on the cloud wishlist.

Dynamically allocatable block storage would have to be priced much higher than these fixed size ceph volumes, I imagine.

@Hetzner_OL are snapshots stored on ceph or ZFS storage infrastructure?

I would be looking out for those features, mean while I'm still trying them out as we speak. Their offers look cute, like why not let's try them , but they are not screaming offers where I feel like I'm getting ripped on where I currently have my stuff. To me this is more like, hey guys we are getting into the cloud market, but we are going to offer some unbelieveable prices so the little guys can try us out. Giving the fact that they limit you to 10 instances, and are giving an ridiculous amount of bandwidth at candy prices, I believe they will attract the LET market which will popularize them as the "cheap and reliable" cloud offering.

They just need to get all those features on the cloud wishlist, and perhaps a few more datacenters on more countries.

• caracalcaracal Member
    edited January 2018

@vovler I pinged all VirMach's test IPs:

Falkenstein DC8

New York, United States
    PING 107.173.176.5 (107.173.176.5) 56(84) bytes of data.
    64 bytes from 107.173.176.5: icmp_seq=1 ttl=50 time=106 ms
    64 bytes from 107.173.176.5: icmp_seq=2 ttl=50 time=106 ms
    64 bytes from 107.173.176.5: icmp_seq=3 ttl=50 time=106 ms

Piscataway, NJ
    PING 107.174.64.68 (107.174.64.68) 56(84) bytes of data.
    64 bytes from 107.174.64.68: icmp_seq=1 ttl=46 time=92.4 ms
    64 bytes from 107.174.64.68: icmp_seq=2 ttl=46 time=92.4 ms
    64 bytes from 107.174.64.68: icmp_seq=3 ttl=46 time=92.5 ms

Dallas
    PING 23.95.41.200 (23.95.41.200) 56(84) bytes of data.
    64 bytes from 23.95.41.200: icmp_seq=1 ttl=48 time=139 ms
    64 bytes from 23.95.41.200: icmp_seq=2 ttl=48 time=139 ms
    64 bytes from 23.95.41.200: icmp_seq=3 ttl=48 time=139 ms

Phoenix
    PING 173.213.69.188 (173.213.69.188) 56(84) bytes of data.
    64 bytes from 173.213.69.188: icmp_seq=1 ttl=46 time=159 ms
    64 bytes from 173.213.69.188: icmp_seq=2 ttl=46 time=159 ms
    64 bytes from 173.213.69.188: icmp_seq=3 ttl=46 time=159 ms

LA
    PING 107.173.137.3 (107.173.137.3) 56(84) bytes of data.
    64 bytes from 107.173.137.3: icmp_seq=1 ttl=49 time=175 ms
    64 bytes from 107.173.137.3: icmp_seq=2 ttl=49 time=177 ms
    64 bytes from 107.173.137.3: icmp_seq=3 ttl=49 time=175 ms 

Chicago 
    PING 170.130.139.3 (170.130.139.3) 56(84) bytes of data.
    64 bytes from 170.130.139.3: icmp_seq=1 ttl=52 time=104 ms
    64 bytes from 170.130.139.3: icmp_seq=2 ttl=52 time=105 ms
    64 bytes from 170.130.139.3: icmp_seq=3 ttl=52 time=106 ms

Seattle
    PING 104.140.22.36 (104.140.22.36) 56(84) bytes of data.
    64 bytes from 104.140.22.36: icmp_seq=1 ttl=44 time=193 ms
    64 bytes from 104.140.22.36: icmp_seq=2 ttl=44 time=192 ms
    64 bytes from 104.140.22.36: icmp_seq=3 ttl=44 time=193 ms

Atlanta
    PING 107.172.25.131 (107.172.25.131) 56(84) bytes of data.
    64 bytes from 107.172.25.131: icmp_seq=2 ttl=53 time=105 ms
    64 bytes from 107.172.25.131: icmp_seq=4 ttl=53 time=105 ms
    64 bytes from 107.172.25.131: icmp_seq=5 ttl=53 time=107 ms

San Jose
    PING 107.172.96.135 (107.172.96.135) 56(84) bytes of data.
    64 bytes from 107.172.96.135: icmp_seq=1 ttl=49 time=157 ms
    64 bytes from 107.172.96.135: icmp_seq=2 ttl=49 time=157 ms
    64 bytes from 107.172.96.135: icmp_seq=3 ttl=49 time=157 ms

Thanked by 1uptime
  • LeeLee Veteran

IAlwaysBeCoding said: To be truly a disrupting cloud service you have to offer more than a 50% cheaper price/ratio

Go play outside.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • edited January 2018

@Lee said:

IAlwaysBeCoding said: To be truly a disrupting cloud service you have to offer more than a 50% cheaper price/ratio

Go play outside.

No.

@angstrom said:

@IAlwaysBeCoding said: However, for the LET market who are constantly switching providers in a heart beat, Hetzner looks to the LET as the messiah that has finally arrived to "disrupt" the LET providers and force them to offer slash their prices or offer better offerings.

Communities are always looking for messiahs. LET is no different in this respect.

I tend to agree with you that LET's reaction is a little over the top, but I got in trouble when I said this yesterday.

It's LET people they are so used to shady ass companies, bottom of the barrel prices, while expecting top notch service. I've yet to see any of the clients that hire me to do any programming work suggest me to push their stuff to Hetzner, everything is either AWS, or a mix of Linode/DigitalOcean/Vultr.

• spyworkspywork Member
    edited January 2018

I am impressed for the speed of creating and managing the vps. Very responsive. There is no comparison with scaleway. The Hetzner cloud is much better. In future is possible to mount custom iso?

Has anyone tried to install a custom Windows iso? With the qemu method the kvm emulation does not work since the cpu does not support this parameter. I tried with templates for other hosting and they do not work.

• So @Hetzner_OL i just created an account and needed no verification or whatsoever, no payment method and i was able to create a server. so anyone who wants can create a server and as it is postpaid, he's able to do the dickmove and dont pay?

• williewillie Member
    edited January 2018

IAlwaysBeCoding said: To be truly a disrupting cloud service you have to offer more than a 50% cheaper price/ratio than the competition

Who do you think the competition is? I.e. what other company comes within 50% of this Hetzner product and has hourly billing? Netcup is the first I've seen and it looks like a quick response to Hetzner, and anyway they're a tiny operation. Scaleway is too big of a mess to count, plus those Atom servers aren't really comparable.

Sure, block storage would be nice (it won't surprise me if it arrives soon) but on the other hand, you have the possibility of using a dedi or large instance as an NFS server. Block storage is also fairly new at DO, fwiw.

IAlwaysBeCoding said: Giving the fact that they limit you to 10 instances,

I hope this is temporary but we'll see. This is the first VPS offer that really makes me less tempted by more dedis, and even makes me think of dropping some of the ones that I have.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • Hetzner_OL said: Thanks. Sorry for the typos and short responses in the last two day. And thanks to all of you LET readers who have been sharing information and giving us valuable feedback. --Katie, Marketing

Thank you for the time you're spending with us. We all appreciate it and frankly you make the place more civilized ;).

• williewillie Member
    edited January 2018

@Hetzner_OL since the instances are apparently resizeable, is it possible to restore a snapshot to a differently sized server than the one it was made from? That assumes the new server has enough disk space, of course. If that's not currently possible, it would be a useful feature to add sometime.

Regarding the questions about CPU usage: I'm sure they're not just about crypto mining. A lot of people here transcode a lot, and so forth.

• WSSWSS Member

@willie said:
    @Hetzner_OL since the instances are apparently resizeable, is it possible to restore a snapshot to a differently sized server than the one it was made from? That assumes the new server has enough disk space, of course. If that's not currently possible, it would be a useful feature to add sometime.

Where'd you find this? When I was tinkering around, it explicitly said you could upgrade, but not downgrade.. that's a fairly important notice; not that many would need/want to drop to the cheaper possibility.

@Hetzner_OL - I've browsed through the server bidding pages since 2016, and had a few short-term dedis. With this new system, you very may pull my transitional services and get me to leave NetCup.. keep working on that UI!

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • WSS said: it explicitly said you could upgrade, but not downgrade..

Hmm ok, it might be upgrade-only, fair enough. I saw the mention of resizing in the HN thread, I think. I'd check the API docs to be sure. I haven't looked at them much yet.

• Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep

WSS said: With this new system, you very may pull my transitional services

I'm tempted to look into moving some stuff to there. I know DO/Vultr offer non-US locations, but they're still US based...

And assuming Hetzner's cloud is production ready, it'd save quite a bit of money too!

• willie said: is it possible to restore a snapshot to a differently sized server than the one it was made from?

You can restore to the same size, or to a larger size. It's not possible to downgrade via snapshots.

• IAlwaysBeCoding said: block storage

The ability to mount a bigger storage volume (like vultr is doing in NYC) would be really nice @Hetzner_OL . Pricing would have to be competitive but being able to have lots of storage with a small (or big) instance would allow do to many things with those..

• I haven't kept up with this thread why is the price now 3.11 euros from 2.50 euros? Is it going up?

• @sureiam said:
    I haven't kept up with this thread why is the price now 3.11 euros from 2.50 euros? Is it going up?

3.06 euros on my side. Depends on the country you are in probably, cause of VAT.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • WSSWSS Member

@willie said:

WSS said: it explicitly said you could upgrade, but not downgrade..

Hmm ok, it might be upgrade-only, fair enough. I saw the mention of resizing in the HN thread, I think. I'd check the API docs to be sure. I haven't looked at them much yet.

I haven't actually browsed the API yet, but from their site:

What this has as an immediate disadvantage to NetCup is the downtime for resizing. NetCup has snapshots and restoration down to 3 clicks, but I'll be damned if I'll pay for X months on a transitional service I only want to run a week or two. NetCup billing is hellacious enough as it is.

@Mr_Tom said:

WSS said: With this new system, you very may pull my transitional services

I'm tempted to look into moving some stuff to there. I know DO/Vultr offer non-US locations, but they're still US based...

And assuming Hetzner's cloud is production ready, it'd save quite a bit of money too!

If you're used to Hetzner dedis, you will find that the OS builds for the KVMs are the same Hetznerized ones you get with those. That may be a plus to those of us who liked them.

Thanked by 2Mr_Tom Wolveix
  • sureiamsureiam Member
    edited January 2018

@vovler said:

@sureiam said:
    I haven't kept up with this thread why is the price now 3.11 euros from 2.50 euros? Is it going up?

3.06 euros on my side. Depends on the country you are in probably, cause of VAT.

Oh woops it was for some strange reason set to DK.. Changed it to the proper one via the option on the top left and it went back to 2.49.. non matter sorry.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • VovaMVovaM Member
    edited January 2018

@spywork said:
    Has anyone tried to install a custom Windows iso? With the qemu method the kvm emulation does not work since the cpu does not support this parameter. I tried with templates for other hosting and they do not work.

I tried to run KVM (CX51 NVME) and it didnt work. Probably, nested virtualization is disabled on hypervisor (host) machine. Well, that's got to be frustrating... Scaleway is still at the top of my performance\price ranking (kvm is ok).

-->modprobe kvm-intel
    modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'kvm_intel': Operation not supported
    -->dmesg | grep kvm
    kvm: no hardware support

• @willie said:

IAlwaysBeCoding said: To be truly a disrupting cloud service you have to offer more than a 50% cheaper price/ratio than the competition

Who do you think the competition is? I.e. what other company comes within 50% of this Hetzner product and has hourly billing? Netcup is the first I've seen and it looks like a quick response to Hetzner. Scaleway is too big of a mess to count, plus those Atom servers aren't really comparable.

Sure, block storage would be nice (it won't surprise me if it arrives soon) but on the other hand, you have the possibility of using a dedi or large instance as an NFS server.

Netcup... excuse me ? Netcup quick response : offer cloud pricing with 6 month prepaid per instance. Lol.

Look I've just tried 1 instance of Hetzner vps and I'm impressed at the speed of their vps, and how fast they are deployed. I'm thinking of using them for a project where I don't need the whole cloud offerings from DigitalOcean.

What they are offering is not bad, but for a true cloud offering they need at least match DigitalOcean features, at least block storage , and some s3 compatible storage, and more importantly more regions. All the big players deploy their architecture behind multiple regions, 1 country is a big no-no for any noticeable players to move to Hetzner.

After all, the big money in the cloud is the big shots spending 4-6 figures a month on AWS, not your LET guy spending a few bucks on a month.

• sureiamsureiam Member
    edited January 2018

Gotta love giving a copy of your ID to foreign companies.

Thanked by 1Aidan
  • Gotta love giving a copy of your ID to foreign companies.

They're German, it's fine.

• LeeLee Veteran

@sureiam said:
    Gotta love giving a copy of your ID to foreign companies.

Just say no, you can find another provider.

• @VovaM said:

@spywork said:

I tried to run KVM (CX51 NVME) and it didnt work. Probably, nested virtualization is disabled on hypervisor (host) machine. Well, that's got to be frustrating... Scaleway is still at the top of my performance\price ranking (kvm is ok).

-->modprobe kvm-intel
    modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'kvm_intel': Operation not supported
    -->dmesg | grep kvm
    kvm: no hardware support

Yes, seems kvm not supported, any workaround? I tried without kvm flag, give me an error about can't allocate guest ram.

root@testing ~ # /tmp/kvm-ok
    INFO: Your CPU does not support KVM extensions
    KVM acceleration can NOT be used

• datanoisedatanoise Member
    edited January 2018

Hetzner_OL said: If you (and others) are asking about CPU usage for reasons related to crypto currencies, please see: https://www.hetzner.com/rechtliches/cloud-server/ --Katie, Marketing

What about other uses: Is using almost 100% of the CPU for several minutes / hours OK? Is there a limit or could a busy website run there with no fear of being shut down for using too much CPU?

• WSSWSS Member

@datanoise said:

Hetzner_OL said: If you (and others) are asking about CPU usage for reasons related to crypto currencies, please see: https://www.hetzner.com/rechtliches/cloud-server/ --Katie, Marketing

What about other uses: Is using almost 100% of the CPU for several minutes / hours OK? Is there a limit or could a busy website run there with no fear of being shut down for using too much CPU?

I like to dedicate some of my wasted cycles to Distributed.Net. I'd be annoyed if someone used 100% of idle time (I don't), but I'd like to be able to give 5-10% to the cause on an otherwise-idler. :D

• asbasb Member

@datanoise said:

I'm also curious about this. Continuous integration systems and compile jobs in general can give high CPU usage - some hosts aren't happy with this, others like Linode, DigitalOcean etc have no problem.

• @spywork said:
    Yes, seems kvm not supported, any workaround?

I guess the answer is "no". It's totally up to Hetzner (policy,strategy,marketing). Probably, it's not an IT-issue at all. BTW I submitted support ticket and waiting for the answer.

• @asb said:

@datanoise said:

I'm also curious about this. Continuous integration systems and compile jobs in general can give high CPU usage - some hosts aren't happy with this, others like Linode, DigitalOcean etc have no problem.

This x 100. Right now I'm compiling 10 versions of python with pythonz and am wondering if the hetzner cares. I need this so I can prepare my image and install my projects with pipenv, so I always make a snapshot of the image once is prepared.