Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lots of cloud for little money. Hetzner Online redefines cloud hosting. - Page 16
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Lots of cloud for little money. Hetzner Online redefines cloud hosting.

Comments

• What is the difference between the cloud servers and the virtual servers (like cx10)?

• asbasb Member

@asb said:
    I'm seeing really disappointing transfer speed from Hetzner to Linode (Newark) when using their speedtest server. wget http://speed.hetzner.de/1GB.bin took 23 minutes to complete (average 739KB/s). By comparison, I transferred a 1GB test file from a Clouvider VM (London) in 29 seconds (35.7MB/s) - that's with TCP BBR enabled, which will help a little. Is there a problem with the speed test server, or are people also seeing similar problems with Hetzner VMs?

Hetzner have indicated on Twitter that the networking team are taking a look at least.

Even worse doing wget http://speed.hetzner.de/1GB.bin from a UK (London) Linode. Currently transferring at less than 100KB/s, estimated completion in almost 3 hours. Managed to average 9.41MB/s downloading the same test file to a Clouvider VM, which is obviously much better but still somewhat underwhelming.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited January 2018

@aniirban101 said:
    What is the difference between the cloud servers and the virtual servers (like cx10)?

In this case, no difference, I would say, assuming you mean the new CX* series.

• I'd like to shout out a hooray for this phenomenal support from Hetzner (Katie) here. OVH would never try to even send a representative here officially. This is a big win for LET and a big win for everyone here.

Thanks Hetzner / Katie for having you here!

• fLoo said: I'd like to shout out a hooray for this phenomenal support from Hetzner (Katie) here. OVH would never try to even send a representative here officially. This is a big win for LET and a big win for everyone here.

Thanks Hetzner / Katie for having you here!

Yes thanks Katie @Hetzner_OL

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@asb said:

@asb said:
    I'm seeing really disappointing transfer speed from Hetzner to Linode (Newark) when using their speedtest server. wget http://speed.hetzner.de/1GB.bin took 23 minutes to complete (average 739KB/s). By comparison, I transferred a 1GB test file from a Clouvider VM (London) in 29 seconds (35.7MB/s) - that's with TCP BBR enabled, which will help a little. Is there a problem with the speed test server, or are people also seeing similar problems with Hetzner VMs?

Hetzner have indicated on Twitter that the networking team are taking a look at least.

Even worse doing wget http://speed.hetzner.de/1GB.bin from a UK (London) Linode. Currently transferring at less than 100KB/s, estimated completion in almost 3 hours. Managed to average 9.41MB/s downloading the same test file to a Clouvider VM, which is obviously much better but still somewhat underwhelming.

Might be that everyone is benching it right now ? somehow doubtful though.

• Now Hetzner provides a server for 3 euros. It is 2000 times much cheaper and 8000 times more powerful than back in the '80s. It makes me wonder what will I buy in 30 years for 3 euros...

• LeeLee Veteran

default said: 30 years for 3 euros

If Euro still exists then.

• @default said:
    Now Hetzner provides a server for 3 euros. It is 2000 times much cheaper and 8000 times more powerful than back in the '80s. It makes me wonder what will I buy in 30 years for 3 euros...

Artificial Kidneys? or any organ for that matter. Maybe a new enhanced #dick ?

• @fLoo said:

@sureiam said:
    Gotta love giving a copy of your ID to foreign companies.

TBH germany is one of those countries where you can actually do that :-)
    @Hetzner_OL said:

It's not a matter of whether I trust any nation in particular. It's more a matter of not trying to give my personal identification documents to too many entities. To make matters worse entities where my laws and protections don't reach and any kind of meaningful options in case of loss of data are limited to me as a result.

@lemon said:
    So @Hetzner_OL i just created an account and needed no verification or whatsoever, no payment method and i was able to create a server. so anyone who wants can create a server and as it is postpaid, he's able to do the dickmove and dont pay?

Perhaps you still have an active account with us already? Normally first-time customers are asked for an ID to try to prevent abuse and fake orders. --Katie, Marketing

I wrote to ask about alternative options and have heard nothing in response. There are many more ways to validate a trustworthy user. For example verified shipping address on a very old Paypal account in good standing. Or a copy of a utilities bill to match that of the address given. But a government form of identification if not stored and protected properly can result in stolen identity.

At least give customers in nations with low fraud rates alternative options.

Thanked by 1svmo
  • @Hetzner_OL said:

@lemon said:
    So @Hetzner_OL i just created an account and needed no verification or whatsoever, no payment method and i was able to create a server. so anyone who wants can create a server and as it is postpaid, he's able to do the dickmove and dont pay?

Perhaps you still have an active account with us already? Normally first-time customers are asked for an ID to try to prevent abuse and fake orders. --Katie, Marketing

Nope I didn't have an account with hetzner until yet, I even used my spam mail. I just chose Bank Transfer (Überweisung) as payment method. Strange.

• LeeLee Veteran

lemon said: Nope I didn't have an account with hetzner until yet, I even used my spam mail. I just chose Bank Transfer (Überweisung) as payment method. Strange.

If it bothers you that much just send in your ID.

Thanked by 2angstrom Junkless
  • Hetzner_OLHetzner_OL Member, Top Host

@aniirban101 said:
    What is the difference between the cloud servers and the virtual servers (like cx10)?

Two that instantly come to mind are the option to use hourly billing and floating IPs. For more, check out the FAQ: https://wiki.hetzner.de/index.php/CloudServer/en#What_is_the_difference_between_local_and_ceph_disks_for_servers.3F --Katie, Marketing

@asb said:

@asb said:

If you would like our networking team to analyze your transfer speeds, could you please send them a support ticket via Cloud Console with traceroutes/MTR reports in both directions? Thanks in advance! --Katie @Hetzner Online

@sureiam said:
    At least give customers in nations with low fraud rates alternative options.

We tend to err on the side of being cautious. So we reject potential customers who look suspicious for whatever reason, not to be mean to you or anything. You're probably a perfectly lovely person. But as a company with low prices, we have to be very, very careful to try to prevent as much abuse/fraud as possible, even with customers from "nations with low fraud rates". We have an obligation to protect other people on the Internet. But I'll pass your comments on to my colleagues nonetheless. --Katie, Marketing

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

@Hetzner_OL said: You're probably a perfectly lovely person.

You know where you are, right? :P

(just kidding, I'll concede that there may be a few upstanding individuals here ;))

Thanked by 2jar Hetzner_OL
  • asbasb Member

@Hetzner_OL said:

@asb said:

@asb said:

If you would like our networking team to analyze your transfer speeds, could you please send them a support ticket via Cloud Console with traceroutes/MTR reports in both directions? Thanks in advance! --Katie @Hetzner Online

I don't think I'm able to do that as I'm not currently a customer. I've been trying to use http://speed.hetzner.de/ to judge whether to be become one.

The Hetzner->Linode London transfer finally completed: 2h2m, average 139KB/s. mtr from this VM looks like this:

$ mtr --report-wide speed.hetzner.de Start: Thu Jan 25 13:54:16 2018 HOST: localhost Loss% Snt Last Avg Best Wrst StDev 1.|-- 2a01:7e00::8678:acff:fe5a:1a41 0.0% 10 0.9 1.0 0.9 1.7 0.0 2.|-- 2a01:7e00:7777:9::1 0.0% 10 1.1 1.2 0.8 2.4 0.3 3.|-- ae1-0.lon10.core-backbone.com 0.0% 10 1.7 1.6 1.5 1.8 0.0 4.|-- xe-1-0-4-2077.fra10.core-backbone.com 10.0% 10 15.4 14.4 13.7 15.4 0.4 5.|-- 2a01:4a0:1338:3::2 0.0% 10 14.5 14.4 14.0 15.3 0.0 6.|-- core1.fra.hetzner.com 20.0% 10 14.5 14.5 14.4 14.7 0.0 7.|-- core11.fra.hetzner.com 0.0% 10 17.4 17.5 17.4 18.4 0.0 8.|-- juniper3.dc1.nbg1.hetzner.com 10.0% 10 17.4 17.5 17.4 17.7 0.0 9.|-- speedtest.your-server.de 10.0% 10 17.3 17.3 17.2 17.5 0.0

• fLoofLoo Member
    edited January 2018

@Hetzner_OL is it possible to show which Hypervisor one is on? For fault reasons. So i dont have 2 HA-Instances on the same Hardware?

• @asb said:

Not getting particularly fast speeds either and I'm in Germany (downloading to my home comp using curl

% Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                     Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
     35 1000M   35  357M    0     0  2409k      0  0:07:04  0:02:31  0:04:33 2761k

Lowest was about 900k/s, fastest is 7Mb/s, and its fluctuating a lot.

ping speed.hetzner.de
    PING speedtest.your-server.de (88.198.248.254): 56 data bytes
    64 bytes from 88.198.248.254: icmp_seq=0 ttl=54 time=32.299 ms
    64 bytes from 88.198.248.254: icmp_seq=1 ttl=54 time=32.116 ms
    64 bytes from 88.198.248.254: icmp_seq=2 ttl=54 time=32.283 ms

• @nico said:
    @Lee I have mean built, actual 28 Nodes Up.
    @IAlwaysBeCoding
    Sent a support request and ask for higher Limit. Mine got approved in a few hours.

@nico I got my limits increased! Just curious does Hetzner have any way to see on their panel your instance limits like DigitalOcean/Vultr?

• jiiikoojiiikoo Member
    edited January 2018

If I understood this correctly, the 20TB/m is for only outgoing bandwidth? My counter on the "network" tab in the dash is showing 0,023/TB of 20TB usage, but according to MTRG I've only used about 3GB of outgoing, rest is incoming.

• I was expecting higher disk read / write. @_@

https://serverscope.io/trials/GPaQ

@jiiikoo said:
    If I understood this correctly, the 20TB/m is for only outgoing bandwidth? My counter on the "network" tab in the dash is showing 0,023/TB of 20TB usage, but according to MTRG I've only used about 3GB of outgoing, rest is incoming.

Could you please send a support request about this via Cloud Console? As a member of the marketing team, I don't have access to some systems. Thanks for your understanding. --Katie, Marketing

Thanked by 1jiiikoo
  • 6qe6qe Member
    edited January 2018

@willie said:
    Added 2: Apt-get install build-essential fails:

dpkg: warning: 'ldconfig' not found in PATH or not executable
    dpkg: warning: 'start-stop-daemon' not found in PATH or not executable
    dpkg: error: 2 expected programs not found in PATH or not executable
    Note: root's PATH should usually contain /usr/local/sbin, /usr/sbin and /sbin
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (2)

I just tried on a fresh debian-2gb-nbg1-dc3-1 box

apt-get update
    apt-get upgrade
    apt-get install build-essential

can't see any errors?

@fLoo said:
    @Hetzner_OL is it possible to show which Hypervisor one is on? For fault reasons. So i dont have 2 HA-Instances on the same Hardware?

Our scheduler will try its very best to not place multiple VMs of the same customer on the same hardware. If you want to be 100% sure, pick different locations for the 2 instances. We don't plan on showing what pyhsical server the instances are on currently. --Katie, Marketing

Thanked by 1fLoo

Just curious does Hetzner have any way to see on their panel your instance limits like DigitalOcean/Vultr?

We are working on showing the limits the customer has. --Katie, Marketing

Thanked by 1IAlwaysBeCoding
  • vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep

@fLoo said:

I got this reply from their support:

you can determine this by running a traceroute to the server.
    The hop before your server shows something like 10075.your-cloud.host

If it differs, it is another host.

• @PeachBlossom said:
    I was expecting higher disk read / write. @_@

That's really good speeds for a VPS. What was your expectation ? A Billion of MB/s read and write ?

• LeeLee Veteran

PeachBlossom said: I was expecting higher disk read / write. @_@

Explain to us what you're using it for that it does not meet your expectation?

• jarland said: Yeah, not like they've ever caused a worldwide problem in fairly recent history or anything.
    No trollface emoji to go here...

I swear, Germany is no longer using personal IDs of foreign people as weapons of mass destruction. It's true. Everything else is just alternative facts from fake media.

Thanked by 4jar Yura tarasis WSS