Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do you feel a out providers promising "unlimited" HD, CPU and RAM? - Page 8
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How do you feel a out providers promising "unlimited" HD, CPU and RAM?

Comments

• WSSWSS Member

@bsdguy Dude.. Amitz was making a joke.

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • Jokes are not for everyone... sigh.

• WSSWSS Member
    edited January 2018

It's ok- most people don't expect Germans [in power] to make jokes.

• Additionally: Mine are not the best. At least that's what I have been told.

• @WSS said:
    @bsdguy Dude.. Amitz was making a joke.

How nice from you to try to preserve peace - but: too late!

@Amitz did not make a joke. What he wrote was his perfidious and heinous way to imply that Phi is a less important and beautiful number than Pi! That's what that evil bastard did.

And that's also why I discretely hinted at my multiple dicks. I happen to know that Amitz has just in between 1.2 and 1.4 dicks.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited January 2018

bsdguy said: "unlimited" does mean "infinite" in one way or another and maybe around corners.

Please provide me with the logical flow that allows you to assume that hosting companies are referring to infinite, in regards to storage primarily, when they say unlimited. I've provided the sound argument for the opposite, you've merely declared it wrong without sufficient counter.

bsdguy said: But that isn't even my point. It's your point to again and again insist that "unlimited" does not mean "infinite".

Correct, and I made my case for that. You have not made your case for ignoring a well articulated argument in favor of declaring your desired preference to be universal truth/fact in direct opposition to said well articulated argument.

bsdguy said: I need not prove anything re. dreamhost or others. "unlimited" is a lie, simple as that

This means that you believe Linux accounts cannot be created without a disk quota. This means you are incompetent and do not know how to manage servers, therefore your statement is invalid.

bsdguy said: But if you feel like it, get me an account at e.g. dreamhost and I will quite quickly demonstrate its not being unlimited.

No, you would demonstrate it not being infinite. You would not demonstrate that it has a quota if it does not.

• WSSWSS Member

Well, just so long as you are aware. It's not like you're making an unlimited number of jokes.

• @jarland

I've laid out what I wanted to say. Whether jarland agrees with it or what jarland thinks about me is utterly irrelevant, sorry.

I will not be a part of some kind of mud wrestling that you seem to like. Besides, you do not even have nice tits.

bsdguy said: I've laid out what I wanted to say. Whether jarland agrees with it or what jarland thinks about me is utterly irrelevant, sorry.

That's totally fine, and I appreciate your willingness to disagree.

bsdguy said: Besides, you do not even have nice tits

In my defense, my taco bell intake has reduced and thus so has the growth of my man boobage.

• IF THE DOORS OF PERCEPTION WERE CLEANSED EVERY THING WOULD APPEAR TO MAN AS IT IS, INFINITE.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

So what was the outcome then, what changed?

Except obviously that we know just a little bit more that different people have different opinions and some people don't accept that this is possible.

AnthonySmith said: So what was the outcome then, what changed?

Circle jerk about how providers advertising unlimited are evil and immoral broken up, the love making was never able to begin as a result. Desired outcome achieved. But no really... my perception of this was "Provider who charges nearly $15/m for 10GB of storage on shared hosting is trying to manipulate people to be outraged against who he views as his competitors." I like breaking up things like that.

AnthonySmith said: Except obviously that we know just a little bit more that different people have different opinions and some people don't accept that this is possible.

Plenty of room for opinions, just not as many places as some think where an opinion can exist without contradicting the most logical explanation.

• This place supplies an infinite amount of humor. That is the point. In math, infinity is not a thing really. Just used to say that it basicly has no end because we could always continue the reals, integers, and even the natural numbers.

Likewise, arguments between people seem infinite. We could always argue about something.

• WSSWSS Member

Kids' only been here since October, and he gets LET.

LET IS REAL (unless declared integer).

Thanked by 1Amitz

@WSS said:

There's no way @hammer is a first account, fits in too well :P

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • WSSWSS Member

@jarland said:

@WSS said:

I like pie.

This wasn't via PM, ya know..

• I like unlimited turtles.

Thanked by 1WSS

@Amitz said:
    I like unlimited turtles.

Careful, all of the people selling limited turtles might gather together and express enough outrage to get you banned.

• I am actually. I just was a lurker for a month or two (or three) before I registered. I observed you all you pervs. I know all your secrets.

One day over the summer I decided well I want to make a sexy website over time and maybe start a business just in case nobody highers me. Originally, I checked out the big three (Do, Vultr, and Linode) and while they were cheap,
    Turns out I was a bigger cheapscape and wanted a better deal.

Then I found this place and eventually settled on
    @Vmhaus
    and here I am today.

Besides, I think reregs are frowned upon around these parts.
    PS:
    @Wss
    is a prime.
    So you can't divide him by any other number.

• WSSWSS Member

It's turtles all the way down.

• 404error404error Member
    edited January 2018

@jarland said
    ... is not someone I would shy away from suggesting ...

Holly shit.. that was a long post...

It seems I was right, you were not gonna accept you are wrong.
    The client in the OP gave a pretty extensive explanation on what happened to her. You just don't want to accept it. Fine, I knew this was going to happen.

@jarland said
    1. No limit placed.
    2. Infinite.
    It is my position that, given the physical impossibility of the second option, the only logical assumption is that the answer is #1 unless proven otherwise.

If you disagree, can you share with me your logic that leads you to assume ...

Here you go again, you don't get to have a position, and this is not about how to use a dictionary. Not the least.
    First of, Unlimited = No limits in place, and when you have no limits in place, then its a never ending cycle, thus the Infinite.

I don't know how well versed your family is in basic IT, but I can tell you that I would have no problem convincing my grand parents that Infinite Web Hosting is real. Yes, they don't know shit about Web Hosting.

@jarland said
    I found that interesting because of this:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/unlimited

Definition of unlimited

lacking any controls : unrestricted unlimited access
    boundless, infinite unlimited possibilities
    not bounded by exceptions : undefined
    the unlimited and unconditional surrender of the enemy —Sir Winston Churchill

@jarland said

lacking any controls

Effectively, disable system quotas and you can create accounts that meet the most likely definition of unlimited. This to say, any suggestion that unlimited cannot be provided or is physically impossible, is not in line with most likely dictionary definitions (of which multiple exist, but we're assuming Merriam Webster knows best as to most likely, want to counter that? State your case.). Now that we've established that, please scroll back up to the top of this post and read it again. Once you've reached this part of the post a second time:

All you're establishing is that you have some selective reading.
    Merriew Webster haves it like this; Lacking any controls: unrestricted unlimited access.

Don't you see how your whole argument is lacking now?

@jarland said
    I don't expect you to admit that you're most likely incorrect, or that you've at least made an unlikely assumption as to the use of the word unlimited

how can I be wrong even when every time you cite some source you prove me right?
    Example above.

@jarland said
    In my honest opinion, whether or not it's right

I understand why you would think that, but I can tell you that you're wrong.

• mfsmfs Banned, Member

hammer said: In math, infinity is not a thing really.

pls leave math alone, she never wronged you in any way, did she

• @mfs
    Oh fuck she did.
    At third year it becomes a brain splitting nightmare.
    In fact that course historically has been known as the hardest class in my program.
    What demon took over and made me do it I got no clue.
    But it's over now and I think the next semester will be easier (I say that every time).

• @jarland said:

AnthonySmith said: So what was the outcome then, what changed?

Circle jerk about how providers advertising unlimited are evil and immoral broken up, the love making was never able to begin as a result. Desired outcome achieved. But no really... my perception of this was "Provider who charges nearly $15/m for 10GB of storage on shared hosting is trying to manipulate people to be outraged against who he views as his competitors." I like breaking up things like that

If that was your objective, then let me tell you that you failed, miserably.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

404error said: If that was your objective, then let me tell you that you failed, miserably.

in your opinion?

• So you just want to ban that particular word from their ads because the whole universe is not infinite and even physical particles on this planet or the whole solar system or the whole galaxy is finite so absolutely nothing can be called unlimited?

Thanked by 1WSS
    edited January 2018

404error said: It seems I was right, you were not gonna accept you are wrong. The client in the OP gave a pretty extensive explanation on what happened to her. You just don't want to accept it. Fine, I knew this was going to happen.

I was perfectly reasonable and gave it a fair chance. I admitted the best that I can with that information: That it might prove me wrong or might not. I'm sorry if that offends you, but I've been clear and up front with my ask from the beginning. I can find someone complaining that @AnthonySmith scammed them if I try hard enough, there are some things I'd like to know from that point and it just wasn't very detailed. It would be dishonest of me to accept it as guaranteed proving me wrong when it isn't, and it's unfair of you to suggest that a failure to do you that favor indicates anything deeper.

404error said: Here you go again, you don't get to have a position, and this is not about how to use a dictionary

Excuse me, I don't get to have a position? Actually I do. You're the one selling shared hosting and complaining about your competitors. I don't have a horse in the unlimited vs not unlimited race. And yes, it is absolutely about how to use a dictionary. You continually declared that I was wrong because you could find one possible definition in the dictionary and insisted that the existence of one possible definition that matched what you desire for those hosts to intend when using the word nullified any other interpretation that was also backed by a dictionary, even when your assumed interpretation is illogical because the definition then connects to a physically impossible event, when an alternate interpretation exists that ties to something which is actually physically possible. It's not "he who interpreted it first is correct" if we're guessing the motives of other people, it should be "which one is more logical." Physical possible is a more logical intent than physically impossible, but I'd be interested in your explanation of how my logic is reversed when broken down to that level.

404error said: Unlimited = No limits in place, and when you have no limits in place, then its a never ending cycle, thus the Infinite

That doesn't make sense. Can you expand further on how not adding a quota = "never ending cycle" and therefore infinite? What is the never ending cycle? Explain that cycle to me.

404error said: I don't know how well versed your family is in basic IT, but I can tell you that I would have no problem convincing my grand parents that Infinite Web Hosting is real. Yes, they don't know shit about Web Hosting.

That's fine, wouldn't matter much. Your grandfather doesn't need to be scared by the thought of having to count gigabytes if he's making a blog, and it sounds like there's no way he's going to be filling TBs of data. Side question: How do you see your grandfather running into a problem with unlimited storage on a web hosting package? Explain to me how this gets him to a problem, I'm curious.

404error said: All you're establishing is that you have some selective reading. Merriew Webster haves it like this; Lacking any controls: unrestricted unlimited access.

An account without a quota is lacking in controls and therefore has "not limited" access.

404error said: Don't you see how your whole argument is lacking now?

Sure. Shared hosting provider assumes that someone using a word can only possibly intend to be using it for a meaning that is physically impossible, while a physically possible meaning simultaneously exists, in regards to his competitors. He is of course universally correct, even in contrast to the person he's speaking to having previously been employed by one of the largest unlimited web hosts in the world.

It makes absolute sense that your assumption, of the physically impossible being a more likely intention than the physically possible, would be of higher potential value than the knowledge of a former system administrator from HostGator, a major player in the unlimited hosting market. I was trying to be subtle about that before, I'm not trying to be like "oh hey look at my credentials" for working for one of the most hated web hosting companies around these parts, but it's absolutely relevant and direct experience.

404error said: I understand why you would think that, but I can tell you that you're wrong.

Well then it's just funny that you'd make a new LET account that doesn't visibly tie back to your hosting company and then make a thread designed to paint your competitors as evil. You may very well not have a competitive intention there, I mean it's not like your prices are going to sell here anyway, but like you said... it's understandable that I might think it.

Quick experiment:

"I'm going to fly to New York tomorrow."

Which of the two following options would be a more safe assumption for an interpretation of my sentence:

1. I'm going to get on an airplane and fly to New York tomorrow.
    2. I can actually fly, like a bird, and will be using my power of flight to fly to New York tomorrow.

Eagerly await a response.

• @AnthonySmith said:

404error said: If that was your objective, then let me tell you that you failed, miserably.

in your opinion?

Considering that he is referring to me, I'd say that I would know. ;)

• Get it already! "unlimited" doesn't mean "unlimited" but whatever marketing guys or the next guy happen to think it means! Damnit!